Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Autonomous Monster posted:

CK2's different interface skins for different cultures/religions is really cool, yeah. All Paradox games should steal that one.

Well let's see, we can have blueish-grey for Allies, reddish-grey for Comintern, and black and grey for the Axis! Brown and grey for unaligned powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
nerds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY2mLvhY6Y4

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love how Johan says BomBers

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
The Franco-British union. You crafty bastard.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
I wonder if it's possible to hit Franco-British Union before the war breaks out, or if it can only come too late to actually save mainland France.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

8bitlawd posted:

I gotta confess something that's been on my mind for awhile... not to be a typical paradoxian moaner but I honestly hate the font and well, entire visual style of HoI 4 whether it be the colors, icons, or anything else I've seen. I'm not even trying to be that guy but it has to be said; I realize that this might be the correct aesthetic for the period but "my immersion" wouldn't be any more ruined if it looked somewhat better then it is when I conquer the world as Romania.

It does look a little busy/dark, and maybe certain color choices don't work that well together.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Was a good WWW this week. Watching Poland get horribly steamrolled makes me realize there's almost certainly going to be an achievement to play as Poland and repel the German invasion.

I'm kind of curious as to what kind of game mechanics might support playing as a smaller/weaker nation like that. A lot of things (like IC and research capacity I think) are pretty hard fixed just based on starting conditions as I understand it. I would assume diplomacy of course being the biggest part of it, but I wonder if there are strategies or available to really support a big military for smaller nations.

The Poland WWW was an interesting look but it was hard to tell much since the AI was broken. :v:
I imagine many nations might have the option to go Fascist and invade some smaller countries to grab some additional IC before the war breaks out.

I think the UI looks fine personally, but that's also a really easy thing to mod so I imagine it will be one of the first things you'll see on the workshop. The only thing bugging me about it right now is all the panning around in some of the research windows, I think it was the national policy one specifically, looked very large horizontally. Maybe there's a zoom option though.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Was a good WWW this week. Watching Poland get horribly steamrolled makes me realize there's almost certainly going to be an achievement to play as Poland and repel the German invasion.

I'm kind of curious as to what kind of game mechanics might support playing as a smaller/weaker nation like that. A lot of things (like IC and research capacity I think) are pretty hard fixed just based on starting conditions as I understand it. I would assume diplomacy of course being the biggest part of it, but I wonder if there are strategies or available to really support a big military for smaller nations.

The Poland WWW was an interesting look but it was hard to tell much since the AI was broken. :v:
I imagine many nations might have the option to go Fascist and invade some smaller countries to grab some additional IC before the war breaks out.

I think the UI looks fine personally, but that's also a really easy thing to mod so I imagine it will be one of the first things you'll see on the workshop. The only thing bugging me about it right now is all the panning around in some of the research windows, I think it was the national policy one specifically, looked very large horizontally. Maybe there's a zoom option though.

I would assume surviving as Poland without allying Germany would be to basically go the other route, go communist and pray to almighty God that the Soviet Union will accept an alliance. Surviving on your own, or even supported by Britain and France seems to be a long shot since those two are too far away to be able to do much to stop the Germans from rolling all over you.

I would imagine that an achievement for Poland is going to be to occupy all (or atleast part) of Germany.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Randarkman posted:

I would assume surviving as Poland without allying Germany would be to basically go the other route, go communist and pray to almighty God that the Soviet Union will accept an alliance. Surviving on your own, or even supported by Britain and France seems to be a long shot since those two are too far away to be able to do much to stop the Germans from rolling all over you.

I would imagine that an achievement for Poland is going to be to occupy all (or atleast part) of Germany.

Yeah that's probably it, Take Berlin as Poland.

My experience with Poland allying with the Soviets in HOI2 was that they would either A) Not move troops in to help at all despite being my allies, or B) Would start moving them in well after Germany had come smashing through. It'd be nice if you could ally early and say, "hey can you uh, send some guys up to my front lines ahead of time? Just in case?"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Randarkman posted:

Occupy half of Germany with France as an ally before 1940.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I had never watched any of these HOI4 videos but it left me feeling a bit concerned about the interface. I saw people involved with making the game constantly struggling with the interface, constantly seeming like they don't know how to do things, getting lost in menus, making many little mistakes/misclicks. If the paradox team are stuggling with their own interface what's it going to be like for us? So many of the actions in the game seemed to involve clicking a ton of different menus/tabs just to do common things and I couldn't make much sense of any of it. After watching a video of a game in action I usually have figured out the basics of the interface, but after this video I figured out nothing, it was just a blur of clicking, a lot of it aimless or confused.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

So I had never watched any of these HOI4 videos but it left me feeling a bit concerned about the interface. I saw people involved with making the game constantly struggling with the interface, constantly seeming like they don't know how to do things, getting lost in menus, making many little mistakes/misclicks. If the paradox team are stuggling with their own interface what's it going to be like for us? So many of the actions in the game seemed to involve clicking a ton of different menus/tabs just to do common things and I couldn't make much sense of any of it. After watching a video of a game in action I usually have figured out the basics of the interface, but after this video I figured out nothing, it was just a blur of clicking, a lot of it aimless or confused.

You have to measure that against how obtuse EU4's interface is, though. Paradox gets a certain level of free pass for obtuse interfaces because everyone loves EU4, despite its interface.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm guessing part of it is also that they are playing at Speed 3 without pauses most of the time so they are trying to Go Fast, and make mistakes because of that. If you want a better look at the UI you should probably look at videos or screenshots elsewhere.

Also probably many parts of the UI are still a work in progress so I wouldn't be surprised if things were still being moved around periodically.

There's some pretty packed looking menus in there, most of it doesn't look that bad to me but that might be because I'm mentally comparing it to HOI2. Still the worst looking part to me is not being able to queue up research, that seems like it should be a no-brainer because of how often research finishes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Agean90 posted:

i am okay with other people playing their copy of the game differently

hosed up if true

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

IDK, as a developer I feel like it's almost harder to be in that situation, because sometimes you get mixed up between how different versions work. Stuff might be in a different place or changed in the design plans or in the development branch in a way that's not reflected in the World War Wednesday build. Or they may have spent dozens or hundreds of hours playing in a previous version of the game, where stuff was in a different place (or completely scrapped and re-done).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Or maybe they are not good at their own game, it's not that uncommon among developers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah that all makes sense, plus they're trying to narrate the game and talk to each other while playing. If I could deal with Hoi2 I'm sure this is learnable.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I'd say playing multiplayer while attempting to explain the game in a non-native language and not constantly pausing every time a halfway-important decision occurs could be the hardest way to play a Paradox game there is.

From what I've seen, it looks pretty much on a level with Europa 4, which I can totally handle.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Then they have captain twitch chat in their ear every 30 seconds "hey we have a question from chat about how nukes work. Can you neglect your front and explain to them, even though this is 1940 and there is nothing you can do besides say 'the research path starts on this screen' ".

wukkar fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 21, 2016

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah that's probably it, Take Berlin as Poland.

My experience with Poland allying with the Soviets in HOI2 was that they would either A) Not move troops in to help at all despite being my allies, or B) Would start moving them in well after Germany had come smashing through. It'd be nice if you could ally early and say, "hey can you uh, send some guys up to my front lines ahead of time? Just in case?"

Are you sure they didn't give you troop control at the start of the war and you didn't notice it?

The AI in HoI2 really likes to dump their armies into their human allies and if you have that pop-up disabled it can go unoticed.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mans posted:

Are you sure they didn't give you troop control at the start of the war and you didn't notice it?

The AI in HoI2 really likes to dump their armies into their human allies and if you have that pop-up disabled it can go unoticed.

Entirely possible, it was a while ago and that wasn't something I knew to look for. :goleft:

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
The thing that struck me about the interface was when they would select a unit and the entire left side of the screen would be like a unit panel that just spammed every regiment in that unit (sorry for wrong nomenclature), like can't it just say "infantry x 50" instead of saying "infantry, infantry, infantry" 50 times in a list? Is that necessary or helpful?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Kersch posted:

The thing that struck me about the interface was when they would select a unit and the entire left side of the screen would be like a unit panel that just spammed every regiment in that unit (sorry for wrong nomenclature), like can't it just say "infantry x 50" instead of saying "infantry, infantry, infantry" 50 times in a list? Is that necessary or helpful?

Do you mean this?

From here you can see each unit's strength and supply situation, what type they are and what they are doing.

If it just said 50x Infantry then you wouldn't be able to differentiate any of them or see what orders they are following. I'm not sure if having that many divisions assigned to one commander is efficient or typical, maybe he just lumped that many together so they could quickly show off what curb stomping Poland and France looks like?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

From here you can see each unit's strength and supply situation, what type they are and what they are doing.

e: I imagine there are many benefits to listing them individually

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
i imagine there's some tool tip if you highlight something that would just say 50 infantry, etc, too.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There's some pretty packed looking menus in there, most of it doesn't look that bad to me but that might be because I'm mentally comparing it to HOI2. Still the worst looking part to me is not being able to queue up research, that seems like it should be a no-brainer because of how often research finishes.

I think that might be an intentional decision, from what it looks like, research points still accumulate during the time you haven't selected the next topic yet, so maybe you aren't losing anything and are able to make a meaningful decision for RIGHT NOW when the war is going on without having to plan as much what the situation will be like in your war in 5 months or whatever.

vs.

Progress bar looks like it has moved a little before the next research topic was even selected.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Gamerofthegame posted:

i imagine there's some tool tip if you highlight something that would just say 50 infantry, etc, too.

Not really necessary - zoom out on the map and it'll show you the number of units in a region.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fermun posted:

I think that might be an intentional decision, from what it looks like, research points still accumulate during the time you haven't selected the next topic yet, so maybe you aren't losing anything and are able to make a meaningful decision for RIGHT NOW when the war is going on without having to plan as much what the situation will be like in your war in 5 months or whatever.

vs.

Progress bar looks like it has moved a little before the next research topic was even selected.

"we don't know what we're researching but damnit we're close to it" is actually really close to a lot of WW2 research.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I didn't think it looked to hard and didn't really pick up on any of them having major problems navigating the interface other than likely being somewhat distracted due to having to explain things, talk to each other and do it all without pausing.

Then again I am used to HoI2, DH and Victoria: Revoltuions, so this is heaven in comparison.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mans posted:

"we don't know what we're researching but damnit we're close to it" is actually really close to a lot of WW2 research.

Haha. Yeah that's interesting, I had noticed that progress bar before with nothing selected but I didn't know if it was just a bug or what. If you do actually stockpile research points that's a lot better, but I know there are still going to be times when I'm going to be in the research tab like, 'I just want to go right down this line' and it'd be nice to just queue them all up at once.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

'I just want to go right down this line' and it'd be nice to just queue them all up at once.

Wouldn't that put you way ahead of time in certian techs though?

Then you'd just be incurring massive penalties for researching a tech 3 years ahead of time without realizing it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Has anybody linked this week's dev diary yet? Well, here it is.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Gort posted:

Not really necessary - zoom out on the map and it'll show you the number of units in a region.

There's a slight different between "This army has 50 mans in it" and "This army has 10 infantry and 40 tank divisions in it," though.

I imagine the tool tip would be on the map pile!

Edit: "Swamp Fox," aside from being a dumb name that I am sure is actually historically accurate, seems like it'd be very specific to one portion of the map in southern Russian and nothing else.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 22, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Wouldn't that put you way ahead of time in certian techs though?

Then you'd just be incurring massive penalties for researching a tech 3 years ahead of time without realizing it.

Yes, but sometimes you're already behind on a certain tech line or don't mind researching one that's a little ahead (or it may become not-ahead by the time you got to it in the queue). It was just an example anyway.

Regarding the DevDiary:

quote:

And of course, both of them have the Old Guard trait, which reduces experience gain by 25%, which is a rather bad trait.

So what's the alternative here? Don't assign any sort of commander to an army? Or don't put troops into an Army?

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 22, 2016

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I think that means both can have the Old Guard trait.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Old Guards are still totally usable, just second-tier since they don't gain experience and thus won't improve very much. If it's anything like HoI2, an Old Guard is still much better than no leader at all.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I think that means both can have the Old Guard trait.

Yeah someone else just mentioned that in the thread, that makes sense.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Gamerofthegame posted:

Edit: "Swamp Fox," aside from being a dumb name that I am sure is actually historically accurate,

ding ding ding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Marion

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

Old Guards are still totally usable, just second-tier since they don't gain experience and thus won't improve very much. If it's anything like HoI2, an Old Guard is still much better than no leader at all.

There should be several levels or variants to Old Guard trait, so it didn't have to be quite as harsh or perhaps come with different malus effects.

I propose:
"Sergeant Surly"
"Captain Crotchety" / "Captain Curmudgeon"
"Major Cranky"
"Ornery Colonel"
"General Grouch"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Colonel Kulik