Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx

of bees posted:

No. Levi has the other vial of titan transformation serum. Someone else besides Eren is going to get injected with it and then eat Reiner while he is unable to move. The question is, who?

Erwin needs to get his real arm back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Chapter 46

Chapter 77, flashback to before chapter 46

Reiner convincing his two friends that they have to kill Marco because he's evil

Jean, convincing his two friends that they have to kill Reiner because he's evil

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I dunno, "both factions have empathy towards their opponents" isn't exactly some super unique thing.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I just caught up on the last couple chapters. That's one hell of a cannon ball.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I dunno, "both factions have empathy towards their opponents" isn't exactly some super unique thing.

Sure, I just thought it was executed in a pretty nifty way. Jean coming across Marco's body in denial, the revelation of it being caused by a friend (though unknown to him), and then becoming the very same voice of instigation of killing a "friend". I mean I'm not saying Jean's actions here are in any way shape or form comparable to Reiner and Friends in terms of evil, but there are some neat parallels with Reiner's Soldier and Warrior personas, and Jean.

Jean's... had a rough life...

kypdjk
Jul 22, 2007

His personality is so magnetic he is unable to carry credit cards. He once had an awkward moment just to see how it feels. He is the most interesting man in the world.
Am I the only one who did not feel that bad for Marco? Admittedly, he died a very gruesome death and what the trio did to him was terrible. At the same time though, had he done anything else other than directly confront them, it would have been a better outcome. He should have just reported what he heard to Levi and the captain and they may have been able to develop a plan.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

From seeing that mule titan talk, here's my theory: All titans can have intelligence, but are completely bound to the will of whoever turned them into a titan (or whoever ate the guy that transformed them). The first king, who was trying to protect the last of the humans from being slaves, built the walls full of Colossal titans and commanded all his other titans to eat any human or titan shifter they see so Zeke & Co. can't get anywhere near them. Zeke's village, which was probably a very high functioning society, is in total chaos because they've lost all control of their slaves. Now after 100 years of living in fear of the titans, Reiner Annie and Bert are on a mission to regain the coordinate to retake control of all the titan slaves and return their society to its former glory.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One interesting thing I noticed from this chapter (I don't know if it's come up explicitly before) is that apparently there are specific "classes" of titans and a science to creating the serums that let you turn into each type. Previously I was under the impression that your titan form just reflected your personality or something, but Zeke mentioned something to Reiner about giving the armor type to someone else so it looks like it's possible to control what sort of titan a person can become.

While it's definitely been possible to infer this before, it seems like this is the first time it's been more or less explicit.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Nah, it was mentioned back with Historia's dad he specifically engineered the huge titan form he became, and had serums with a whole bunch of different titan abilities stocpiled and so on.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I just caught up on the last couple chapters. That's one hell of a cannon ball.

I came in like a cannonball
I never flew so high before
All I wanted was to break your walls...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kypdjk posted:

Am I the only one who did not feel that bad for Marco? Admittedly, he died a very gruesome death and what the trio did to him was terrible. At the same time though, had he done anything else other than directly confront them, it would have been a better outcome. He should have just reported what he heard to Levi and the captain and they may have been able to develop a plan.

Yeah, if he had acted perfectly with perfect information things would be different. What an idiot.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Ytlaya posted:

One interesting thing I noticed from this chapter (I don't know if it's come up explicitly before) is that apparently there are specific "classes" of titans and a science to creating the serums that let you turn into each type. Previously I was under the impression that your titan form just reflected your personality or something, but Zeke mentioned something to Reiner about giving the armor type to someone else so it looks like it's possible to control what sort of titan a person can become.

While it's definitely been possible to infer this before, it seems like this is the first time it's been more or less explicit.

I'm pretty sure that was a threat to feed Reiner to someone else so they could get the armor ability.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

kypdjk posted:

Yeah what Fister said. Honestly while this is a good series, one of the great things about it is the fact it doesn't rely on people to act like idiots to move the plot forward. People will have reactions to events that make sense in the context of the story. Marco was being dumb by confronting them directly but to him Reiner and Berthold were close friends acting suspicious. He had no reason to think overhearing them talk would lead to them killing him.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

And that makes it less cool? It was pretty well done here, with a different light on each instance- you start off feeling very different to Reiner being an rear end and Jean being stoic, even though their actions are so similar. I think it evokes a pretty neat ambiguous feeling, even if it's not the first time I've ever seen ambiguity/mixed sympathies in a manga.

That was a pretty neat post that guy made. No call for making GBS threads on it like that.

kypdjk posted:

I too care nothing for the lives of people who make mistakes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

kypdjk posted:

All of this happened before there was even a consideration that there were traitors.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

kypdjk posted:

My take on it was that he confronted them out of surprise and confusion, and caught on midway through the conversation that he'd actually heard something serious and needed to get out of there fast. He put most of the pieces together shortly before he got ambushed. He was just really unlucky that no one else was close by.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Not everyone expects their comrades to escalate to cold blooded murder when they say something weird.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Marco's a loving idiot show watcher, had he been reading the manga though...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Marco may not have done the most pragmatic thing, but keep in mind that these are his friends/teammates we're talking about. If a good buddy of yours said something that implied they might have done something criminal, would you just rat them out to the police without confronting them about it first? Especially if it's something as unbelievable as being a titan (remember, at this point in the manga I don't think they knew humans became titans).

Eiba posted:

And that makes it less cool? It was pretty well done here, with a different light on each instance- you start off feeling very different to Reiner being an rear end and Jean being stoic, even though their actions are so similar. I think it evokes a pretty neat ambiguous feeling, even if it's not the first time I've ever seen ambiguity/mixed sympathies in a manga.

That was a pretty neat post that guy made. No call for making GBS threads on it like that.

No, it's fine and the series overall is good about making both "factions" relatively easy to sympathize with. I was commenting on the fact that I didn't see anything particularly similar about the scenes he posted other than the fact that both of them show that each side feels bad about having to kill their former comrades. I think he compared the two scenes with poetry or something, and when I looked at the pictures (I saw the text before they loaded) I was expecting to see two scenes with very similar language or something, but no - it was just two scenes of characters trying to persuade each other to kill their comrades-turned-enemies. Which is pretty much the case in most decent fiction that contains that same plot element.

vvv (the below paragraph does not necessarily apply to the person I was replying to, but is more just a general comment on this sort of thing)
I think many people who consume a lot of "nerd media" like anime are often surprised when they see something that you'd expect in any good story and blow it out of proportion. In this particular case, it's not so much that Attack on Titan is good for having understandable enemies; it's that other fiction is bad for having two-dimensional enemies that do evil things for no reason. This can actually be said about a lot of the fan reaction to Attack on Titan. AoT is definitely a really good manga/anime, but it's nothing particularly ground-breaking; it's just a solid action/fantasy series. I think that because so many fans have only been exposed to other popular anime (which is almost always more stereotypical shounen titles or otaku-bait LN adaptations), when they see something that is actually good like Attack on Titan it just blows their minds. The same can be said for Game of Thrones with respect to fantasy fans.

That being said, I can definitely see how what I said came off as lovely. I'm not really sure how to say "this thing isn't as profound as you think it is" without it coming off as really condescending, though. If anything, something like that can actually come off as more insulting than just telling someone you think they're wrong, but I still think it's sometimes a valid point.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

No one thinks it's profound or anything, it's just a neat detail, sheesh

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I think he compared the two scenes with poetry or something

It was a reference to George Lucas during the making of the prequels, in which he used scenes and characters in a similar way to the original movies because it was "poetic".

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

U-DO Burger posted:

My take on it was that he confronted them out of surprise and confusion, and caught on midway through the conversation that he'd actually heard something serious and needed to get out of there fast. He put most of the pieces together shortly before he got ambushed. He was just really unlucky that no one else was close by.

Yeah about halfway through he switches to "Well that sure was a weird joke, no need to ever talk about this again. I have to go over there now."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zeke is Annie's dad, isn't he?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Fister Roboto posted:

Reiner grilled Annie about proving that she and her dad weren't like the scum behind the walls.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Fister Roboto posted:

We've seen Annie's dad, though, in the flashback when she fought Eren the second time.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

AdjectiveNoun posted:

We've seen Annie's dad, though, in the flashback when she fought Eren the second time.

But not his face, right? I dont remember clearly

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Isn't Annie's dad dead?

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

Marco's only mistake was not realizing/underestimating the quickness and brutality with which Bert and Ernie would react to his unfortunate timing. If he had kept his eyes on them, he might have been able to escape and find help.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

RatHat posted:

Isn't Annie's dad dead?

Nah. Annie's entire motivation is to be able to go home. They have to complete their mission or die.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 12, 2016

kypdjk
Jul 22, 2007

His personality is so magnetic he is unable to carry credit cards. He once had an awkward moment just to see how it feels. He is the most interesting man in the world.

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, if he had acted perfectly with perfect information things would be different. What an idiot.

To be fair, I don't think he was a complete idiot here, everyone made good points. The fact that he pieced it together so quickly was surprising and then he realized the possibilities behind what he overheard. My thought was general genre savvy would have told him to be a little more patient rather than jumping in to confront them alone. It is sad that his mistake resulted in his death and I will admit I was being unfair about his death, he certainly did not deserve to die, but stumbling across information like that requires caution. Had he lived, between him and Armin, things might get resolved TOO quickly.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Whelp, caught up with the manga.

Man, Reiner is a colossal murderous shithead. :v: I think I can safely count him as one of the really well done characters! I like how he comes off both as serious/determined warrior, AND a pathetic monster.

And not to sound like I'm generally in favor of killing characters all the time - but I think it'd be better if Reiner actually died here. His arc feels pretty complete at this point, and it looks like he might pass the torch to Bertholdt soon (by, uh, being incinerated in titan hellfire).

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I knew that victory was too easy.

Also poor Marco :(

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I'm confused, how is the Armored Titan still active and able to roar? Reiner got his loving head blown off. Did "Zeke" assume direct control of his titan, which now lacks a pilot since Reiner is (I assume?!?!?!?) very much dead? Is the implication supposed to be that it can still roar via remote control, but it's probably out of the picture for good in terms of being able to move and fight?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I'm confused, how is the Armored Titan still active and able to roar? Reiner got his loving head blown off. Did "Zeke" assume direct control of his titan, which now lacks a pilot since Reiner is (I assume?!?!?!?) very much dead? Is the implication supposed to be that it can still roar via remote control, but it's probably out of the picture for good in terms of being able to move and fight?

It looks as though his brainstem is still intact. That might allow the titan to still have very, very basic function if you stretch your imagination a little bit.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

It looks as though his brainstem is still intact. That might allow the titan to still have very, very basic function if you stretch your imagination a little bit.

Yeah, I think basically the real Reiner is dead but what's left is a normal mindless Titan with basi functions.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Presumably ending the chapter there means it's supposed to be a cliffhanger mystery to be explained soon afterwards.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Considering earlier Reiner was able to instantly redistribute his brain functions throughout the rest of his body when Levi slashed his nape, I would not count him out yet.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I stopped reading this around the time the main character got kidnapped and they were chasing him and the Titans through out the forest.

I stopped reading it because I got really tired of the writer obviously having no idea where he was going with the story. Every time they got close to a mystery he would write in some excuse to not reveal anything. First that lady got trapped in Crystal before they could interrogate her. Then they find out some church dude knows everything but wouldn't you know it he promised not to tell any one. Shucks. And then while kidnapped and listening in on the story the main character decided to take a nap instead of learning the mystery.

I'd like to get back into this but not if they are still running in the same circles over and over again. Are they actually any closer to learning anything? Have they even gotten the key yet?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Maybe you should read and find out instead of asking the thread to sum up two years of a manga for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

Volume posted:

So I stopped reading this around the time the main character got kidnapped and they were chasing him and the Titans through out the forest.

I stopped reading it because I got really tired of the writer obviously having no idea where he was going with the story. Every time they got close to a mystery he would write in some excuse to not reveal anything. First that lady got trapped in Crystal before they could interrogate her. Then they find out some church dude knows everything but wouldn't you know it he promised not to tell any one. Shucks. And then while kidnapped and listening in on the story the main character decided to take a nap instead of learning the mystery.

I'd like to get back into this but not if they are still running in the same circles over and over again. Are they actually any closer to learning anything? Have they even gotten the key yet?

Reiner is armored titan and Bert is colossal titan.

Titan shifting and Titan powers are transferable upon consumption of someone with powers or by injection.

Eren got turned into a titan first by injection from his father, then gained shifting powers by immediately eating his father.

Reiner, Bert, and Annie were the force behind the initial attack on Wall Maria. Their mission was to find the "coordinate" power, the power to control titans, which Eren received by eating his father (who in turn stole it from the royal family by eating their daughter/Krista's sister) and can barely control.

Krista is actually Historia Reiss, an illegitimate child of the King of Everything. There was a civil war and now Historia is the Queen of Everything.

Reiner, Bert, and Annie were sent from a group of titan shifters. Their leader showed up and is now fighting with Reiner (RIP?) and Bert to gain Eren's coordinate powers. Eren and co. are conversely trying to plug wall Maria with Eren's newly gained crystallizing power (the same kind that Annie had used to encase herself).

If the group makes it, they will enter the basement. Eren still has the key, given to him by his father before his sacrifice. They will presumably get to the basement at the conclusion of the current epic-as-gently caress battle between the titan shifters and our heroes.

Hopefully this saved you some time and trouble!