Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

KillHour posted:

Just ordered another 64GB of RAM for my lab. Turns out you really can never have enough memory.

It's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

psydude posted:

It's true.

Getting my VCP is turning out to be very expensive.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

KillHour posted:

Getting my VCP is turning out to be very expensive.
Do they still make you pay for either Install, Configure, Manage or the Fast Track course to be eligible?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Vulture Culture posted:

Do they still make you pay for either Install, Configure, Manage or the Fast Track course to be eligible?

Hahaha, yes. They aren't going to miss out on that extra partnership money with class organizers by letting you take the exam on your own.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Vulture Culture posted:

Yep... and if you're lucky like me, you took the course for 5.5 like 6 months before 6.0 came out.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I feel like this has been coming up a lot lately. Check out Confluence and see if it would work for you. I'm just getting started with it for our internal documentation and am loving it so far. It does "suffer" from it having so many options and features that I let trying to be perfect get in the way of good with my spaces and pages.

That looks ok for team documentation, I'm looking for something to track network hardware, serials, cable plant, IPAM etc. We're currently using netdot https://osl.uoregon.edu/redmine/projects/netdot which is ok, but has some serious drawbacks in terms of adminstrative costs.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

DigitalMocking posted:

That looks ok for team documentation, I'm looking for something to track network hardware, serials, cable plant, IPAM etc. We're currently using netdot https://osl.uoregon.edu/redmine/projects/netdot which is ok, but has some serious drawbacks in terms of adminstrative costs.

https://www.racktables.org if you want something that kind of does it all in one.

Strictly IPAM you can check out https://www.phpipam.net

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Pro-tip: if you sign up for VMUG Advantage you get a substantial discount on class tuition. It's like $100 for a year and class prices go from like $4125 to $3300 I think.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The more I consider it, the more I'm not worried about it at all. But, as a lark I might casually approach the boss man and ask him what he thinks.

"Hey boss man, do you think I'm qualified to fill the SysEng position? Do you think It would be a good fit for me?"

If I was in that position I wouldn't even ask. I would formally apply for it and then maybe mention to him that I've applied. Every place I've ever worked will at least interview internal candidates even if they have no intention of hiring them. This gives you the opportunity to show them how motivated you are to advance your knowledge and career before they can say no. If you ask now and he days you're not a good fit, I'm willing to bet you won't bother applying which means missing the opportunity to demonstrate that motivation. To echo what others have said, you really do have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

In Vancouver it absolutely is, most positions are contract, very few permanent fulltime, an excess of applicants for every job, and below average salaries in a place with super high cost of living, it's a mess.

are you sure you're not referring to georgia's IT industry? :v:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

Pro-tip: if you sign up for VMUG Advantage you get a substantial discount on class tuition. It's like $100 for a year and class prices go from like $4125 to $3300 I think.

Isn't the Goon Approved Method to take that (really lovely) Stanly Community College online course that's like a couple hundred bucks vs thousands? Sure you don't learn anything, but you get the stupid classroom requirement done at 1/15 the cost! :pseudo:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I would just like to reinforce how useless that class is. But yes, that's what I did. Also ask me about taking the VCP5 class right before the VCP 6 came out.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

I would just like to reinforce how useless that class is. But yes, that's what I did. Also ask me about taking the VCP5 class right before the VCP 6 came out.

You've said this several times now like it's a horrible crisis, but it really isn't. VCP550 is still an active exam, and if you've taken the class then you can still get your VCP after passing the test. It's still a valuable certification even if it's not the most current version. After getting certified you've got two years to upgrade, and all you have to take is a delta exam--no additional class time required. Also, did you know that there are two exams required for VCP6 but only one for VCP5? You're still in a very good place.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I took the 5.5 class a year ago; I need to get off my rear end and take the exam.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Docjowles posted:

Isn't the Goon Approved Method to take that (really lovely) Stanly Community College online course that's like a couple hundred bucks vs thousands? Sure you don't learn anything, but you get the stupid classroom requirement done at 1/15 the cost! :pseudo:

Is there still a waiting list 6 months long?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

You've said this several times now like it's a horrible crisis, but it really isn't. VCP550 is still an active exam, and if you've taken the class then you can still get your VCP after passing the test. It's still a valuable certification even if it's not the most current version. After getting certified you've got two years to upgrade, and all you have to take is a delta exam--no additional class time required. Also, did you know that there are two exams required for VCP6 but only one for VCP5? You're still in a very good place.

Thank you for that. Seriously. It's easy to feel like you're just spinning your wheels and wasting money with all this stuff, and it's good to have confirmation that I'm not completely bungling it all up.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
The nearby community college offers the Installing and Optimizing courses for $680 per. That's where I took it, though I think I live near a pretty nice CCD.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Thank you for that. Seriously. It's easy to feel like you're just spinning your wheels and wasting money with all this stuff, and it's good to have confirmation that I'm not completely bungling it all up.

No worries. Their education portal is a total clusterfuck and info is really difficult to find. Somewhere in there you can request exam authorization which will allow you to schedule it through Pearson's website. I'd tell you exactly where to do that, but I can't actually find it myself--possibly because I'm not in the middle of any certifications so there's nothing available for me to request. If you can't find it then try their chat support. They can't do everything, but stuff like that should be within their wheelhouse.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

No worries. Their education portal is a total clusterfuck and info is really difficult to find. Somewhere in there you can request exam authorization which will allow you to schedule it through Pearson's website. I'd tell you exactly where to do that, but I can't actually find it myself--possibly because I'm not in the middle of any certifications so there's nothing available for me to request. If you can't find it then try their chat support. They can't do everything, but stuff like that should be within their wheelhouse.

I already scheduled it for the 15th. It took me 2 months to figure out how to do it and get the discount.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Who can suggest a 1 port remote KVM? I need to be able to troubleshoot remote systems.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

When I signed up for the exam apparently there are two different versions of the same thing. It was such a pain in the rear end trying to register and get the stanly discount.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

For wondering (and potentially pulling their hair out), this is the one you need to register for if you did the Stanly class.

http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/pl...112454388,d.cWw

After you get authorized, you need to register with PersonVue (using a VMware specific portal and credentials) and you put the discount voucher in during checkout.

I have no idea why this information is so hard to find.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
Hopefully :yotj:, we'll see. Interview went well. Wish me luck!

Next, trying to un-gently caress SSO for vSphere.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sickening posted:

Is there still a waiting list 6 months long?

Dunno. I got to the front of the list a couple years ago, but right at the same time I changed jobs to a KVM+OpenStack shop and decided to give up my spot. Since the only certification you need to deal with OpenStack is a BAC that never drops below 0.4 :guinness:

Even if it's still slow to get in, seems worth the wait to save literally thousands of dollars unless your employer is footing the bill.

GoatShaver posted:

Good luck! With both of those things...

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 22, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GoatShaver posted:

gently caress VMware SSO. I'm currently trying to figure out why it won't join my AD domain.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

gently caress VMware SSO. I'm currently trying to figure out why it won't join my AD domain.

Mine decided between 5pm yesterday and 8am today that it no longer wanted to let anyone login, so i'm flying blind - this is fun.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I was running into an issue with vShield hammering my logins and causing SSO logins to fail. I think vShield Data Protection had a similar bug recently as well. Could be related?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
http://www.careerbuilder.com/jobsee...dium=aggregator

quote:

Job Description
Ref ID: 00900-9833084

Classification: Help Desk/Tech Support III

Compensation: $20.00 to $25.00 per hour

Robert Half Technology is actively looking for a Tier III Help Desk professional to join the team of our premier client right in the heart of Buckhead. This is a 3-6 month contract to hire role and the manager needs to fill multiple vacancies ASAP. Our client is a leading provider of independent medical examinations, peer reviews, bill reviews, Medicare compliance, case management and related services to the insurance and legal industries, third-party administrators, self-insured parties and federal and state agencies. Candidates can expect to work Monday-Friday 8-5. This position does provide benefits during the contract period. If interested, please email your resume to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]
Job Requirements
Perform software and hardware installations, image PCs, and resolve computer problems related to Windows OS Manage the Chicago walkup including assigning tickets, monitoring queues and managing technicians Manage the virtualization department using VMWare Management Console and VSphere Support VMWare users in the VDI environment, build parent images in VSphere and build desktop pools Provide one on one and group training for peers and customers including trainings on new technologies, hardware/software and process changes Managed the deployment of new remote support tool including testing and implementation Provide mobile device deployment and support. Authorized order placer for the all wireless service providers Managed the mobility department, conduct PDA inventory and participate in weekly meetings Managed laptop assets using SAP database software Provide entry level support for SQL, CISCO WebEx, VPN, and SharePoint etc If interested, please email your resume to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]

With more than 100 locations worldwide, Robert Half Technology is a leading provider of IT professionals on a project and full-time basis for initiatives ranging from web development and systems integration to network security and technical support. Through our alliances with industry-leading organizations such as HDI® and the Microsoft® Partner program, we have access to client companies that other staffing firms don't. In addition to our free job search services, we provide our candidates with access to free online technical training and a competitive benefits and compensation package.

In 2015, our company once again was named to FORTUNE® magazine's list of "World's Most Admired Companies." (March 1, 2015).

Apply for this job now or contact our branch office at 1.800.793.5533 to learn more about this position.

All applicants applying for U.S. job openings must be authorized to work in the United States. All applicants applying for Canadian job openings must be authorized to work in Canada.

Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet

By clicking 'Apply Now' you are agreeing to Robert Half Terms of Use
Job Snapshot
Base Pay $20.00 - $25.00 /Hour
Employment Type Contractor
Job Type Engineering, Information Technology, Design
Education Not Specified
Experience Not Specified
Manages Others Not Specified
Industry Computer Hardware, Computer Software
Required Travel Not Specified
Job ID 00900-9833084

GEORGIA ON MY MIIIIIINND

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So if I am reading this right this person would be responsible for all of the VM infrastructure at the company, managing the help desk team, managing the companys mobile devices, AND be the corporate IT trainer on top of handling any and all tickets. All for the low price of $25. RH will probably make a killing if they actually fill this.

Which makes me wonder, how hard would it be to start a recruiting company? Couldnt you just place your friends for obscene amounts of money and give it to them?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
And the people that apply that don't get the job, they'll probably contact their employer and offer a replacement for less since obvious that person isn't a team player!

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

GoatShaver posted:

The angriest I've ever seen our vmware admin was when contracted support messed with the vSphere cert and broke logins completely.

I mean pounding on the desk screaming "gently caress" angry, though it was just the latest in a month long string of incompetencies by these guys.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

GoatShaver posted:

Mine decided between 5pm yesterday and 8am today that it no longer wanted to let anyone login, so i'm flying blind - this is fun.

A service account that is disabled or has a changed password?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Initial setup, or did it work previously? Assuming you're using the right thing for the DC, make sure the username is formatted correctly. It's been a while, but if memory serves it needs the full distinguished name, not just the login name.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
gently caress Robert Half. I wouldn't work for them if they were the only choice other than death.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Initial setup, or did it work previously? Assuming you're using the right thing for the DC, make sure the username is formatted correctly. It's been a while, but if memory serves it needs the full distinguished name, not just the login name.

Initial setup. It automagically started working while I was at work today. :iiam:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Daylen Drazzi posted:

gently caress Robert Half. I wouldn't work for them if they were the only choice other than death.
Seriously. Don't work for Robert Half.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

anthonypants posted:

Seriously. Don't work for Robert Half.

Eh,

It's just another IT Consulting firm like Infosys, Tech Mahindra, VMC, Accenture, Unisys, etc

Your mileage may vary.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

Eh,

It's just another IT Consulting firm like Infosys, Tech Mahindra, VMC, Accenture, Unisys, etc

Your mileage may vary.
Robert Half is super-cool though because they'll actively work to undercut their own placements for less money

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I thought RH is a staffing firm, which is a very different business model than somebody like Accenture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Inspector_666 posted:

I thought RH is a staffing firm, which is a very different business model than somebody like Accenture.

Yea, they're a body shop, and a particularly gross one.