Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Deathlove posted:

Jfc, Angelico.

The older brother in high school who loves BMX and Motocross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

ParanoidInc posted:

I prefer the idea that the actual piece of land that is mexico was slowly but inevitably making its way to fuckin kick chavo's cheatin rear end for beating up blue demon

Well, if anyone in wrestling could make this work...

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I finally started watching this Lucha Underground thing last night. I'm only 4 episodes into Season 1.

So far I dig it. I actually like the hamminess of the backstage segments because they just said "gently caress it" and went all out treating it like a bad Robert Rodriguez film instead of the "this is supposed to be real but there's a camera here and we aren't supposed to see it" style that's been a thing in wrestling for the past 20 years or so. I prefer more realism but if you're going to throw illusions out the window, just go all the way. So I like it.

I don't like the commentary though. Is it me, or is all commentary just bad nowadays?

Overall, I'm a new fan. I wish I could jump right into Season 2 though but I don't have cable and I'm not done with Season 1 yet.

(And that's another thing, I like that there's seasons!)

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

fart blood posted:

I don't like the commentary though. Is it me, or is all commentary just bad nowadays?
It'll get worse, then it will get much better.

Vampiro eventually learns how to reign in Striker, and I assume they're doing some clever editing to tone him down as well. By the end of the season, people forgot that Matt Striker sucks and were willing to think he might not be bad during Triplemania.

fart blood posted:

Overall, I'm a new fan. I wish I could jump right into Season 2 though but I don't have cable and I'm not done with Season 1 yet.

It's good, but there is the issue of because everything is taped real early, they missed the boat on a few things until much later, like how hot Pentagon would get.

Overall, there's so much good stuff in LU that I wouldn't really recommend skipping it any of it to get to S2. Though most of the pre-Aztec Warfare stuff is pretty missable.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The commentary (and the show in general) does get better as the season goes on. I mean, Striker always gonna be Striker, but Vampiro gets a lot better and more comfortable and that helps rein in Striker a bit. You're not even to where the show really takes off yet, I feel like it really hits its stride a bit later than where you are, so if you're enjoying it so far you will probably like the rest.

If you do end up wanting to check out Season 2 after you get caught up, if you're in the US, Sling.com and fubo.tv both carry El Rey. Sling is more expensive but has more other channels you might want to watch, fubo is like mostly soccer but at least it is cheap.

You're dead on about the backstage bits. They went ahead and just said "we're just going to do a television show about a wrestling promotion" instead of pretending any aspect of it is real, and it gives them a lot of freedom about showing what goes on and doing weird poo poo. At least they are doing something different instead of just the standard WWE presentation that most other promotions rip off.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I re-watched Ultima Lucha. Man, it was just SPOT ON. It was the perfect collision of story and in-ring action. The ending where everyone's just getting the hell out of the Temple, including Fenix in a Firebird, was fantastic.

And LU made me a Jack Evans fan. I love how in his first match he had the crowd calling him (whatever the Mexican/Spanish word for "rear end in a top hat is) in less than 10 seconds.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

The most interesting interactions when the cameras weren't rolling were between Vampiro and Stryker. They talk very little, use opposite green rooms for breaks, and towards the end, they were bickering and disagreeing. Also no-one talks to Matt beyond picture taking, but why would you?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Choom Gangster posted:

The most interesting interactions when the cameras weren't rolling were between Vampiro and Stryker. They talk very little, use opposite green rooms for breaks, and towards the end, they were bickering and disagreeing. Also no-one talks to Matt beyond picture taking, but why would you?

I mean, I'd be like that too if I had to work with Stryker. Hell, one of the funniest parts of WK this year was seeing Yoshi get more and more annoyed with Stryker trying to engage in "kayfabe".

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

CobiWann posted:

And LU made me a Jack Evans fan. I love how in his first match he had the crowd calling him (whatever the Mexican/Spanish word for "rear end in a top hat is) in less than 10 seconds.

I fell out of liking Jack Evans because he always seemed like too much of a spot monkey, but LU and his appearance at BOLA last year helped turn me around. He's still a spot monkey, but he knows how to get heat like crazy.

And the Spanish word they were chanting was "Culero!" Which does indeed mean "rear end in a top hat."

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Jack Evans became 10,000x more tolerable once Jack Evans Girl moved on to whatever Tumblrhole she inevitably fell down

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Choom Gangster posted:

I've seen a lot of times when they are bro-hugging or fist bumping, and they are always super complimentary to each other on social media (even when it's like an @ message that no one who wasn't following them both would see). And I've seen them communicating just with gestures at times when doing things like evaluating talent in dark matches. I've never really gotten the impression there's heat between them. Vampiro is always rushing around but I get the idea that he's doing other stuff besides just commentary. I wonder if the bickering/disagreeing could have been story or angle related, or was it purely just when the cameras were off? Maybe some specific disagreement between them that taping.

Interesting interview with Chris DeJoseph here: http://www.wrestlingmayhemshow.com/wms-exclusive-dejoseph-spills-new-secrets-of-lucha-underground-season-2/

There's some minor spoilery stuff that I won't talk about, so don't check it out if you are spoiler-sensitive, (or do check it out if you want some general Season 2 info) but here's a couple things that struck me:

Re distribution:

quote:

Word about Lucha Underground has been spreading, and new ways to watch the show are becoming available. The show recently secured its first Canadian television rights deal with TLN (Telelatino Network). DeJoseph said, “There’s a lot of things in the works”. That includes making Lucha Underground more available outside the United States, and perhaps, making it more available inside the U.S. as well. A hope shared by many fans is to see a release of Season 1 on DVD. DeJoseph said, “I think it will become available for purchase at some point.”

Re WWE:

quote:

The fight to keep Lucha Underground alive and make Season 2 a reality was not easy. DeJoseph discussed WWE’s pursuit of some of the show’s talent.

“They (WWE) basically tried to sign our entire roster, and pretty much tried to shut us down.”

In one way, WWE was successful. It re-signed Alberto Del Rio in time for him to return to the company last October at its Hell In A Cell event, and defeat the departing John Cena to win the United States Championship.

“I think that’s what they (WWE) want to do – just take everybody, sign them into NXT and then wipe out companies. I know they tried to do it with TNA, and I’m sure Ring Of Honor too. It makes sense. They pay someone $750/week, put them into developmental and in the meantime, they try to take away a company’s roster. And they can just leave those guys down in NXT.”

:drat:

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 21, 2016

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Cage is scary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rABkQessohg

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

He slipped into a BIG POPPA PUMP every now and then in that promo.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

I approve of Cage morphing into Scott Steiner 2.0

'LAST, but certainly not least, we're gonna work on the moneymakers *flex arm* BOOM the big biceps, the curls for the girls and this time we're doing hanging arnolds. that's right. myself and arnold schwarzenegger are the only two that do these right. '

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

fart blood posted:

So far I dig it. I actually like the hamminess of the backstage segments because they just said "gently caress it" and went all out treating it like a bad Robert Rodriguez film instead of the "this is supposed to be real but there's a camera here and we aren't supposed to see it" style that's been a thing in wrestling for the past 20 years or so. I prefer more realism but if you're going to throw illusions out the window, just go all the way. So I like it.

Haha, if you like that, just wait. It goes waaaaay off the rails as the season progresses.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
From the tapings I went to it seems like Jack Evans has the green light to talk more in Season 2, which is great because he's doing the same obnoxious dickhead character he does in PWG these days.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm now on episode 4 of Season 1 and Matt Striker said during the Ivelesse/Sexy Star match: "I have 4 sisters, this is what it was like every morning for the bathroom."

Matt Striker stinks.

Fun fact: Matt Striker hit on my best friend years ago before he was in WWE and she shot him down.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

fart blood posted:

Fun fact: Matt Striker hit on my best friend years ago before he was in WWE and she shot him down.

When I was backstage for the Believer's Backlash thing, they were telling us to try not to hit Hernandez in the face, and Hernandez said something like "It's not much, but the fat chicks still like it. YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN, MATT STRIKER" and Striker kind of went "eh" and wandered away. Hernandez may be a big dumb reckless idiot who fucks up on his contracts, but on a personal level that dude seemed alright.

Here have some more of these things:

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

oh is texano back? i would have thought they would have dropped him after Patron left

he always kind of felt like an afterthought without a storyline

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Grozz Nuy posted:

From the tapings I went to it seems like Jack Evans has the green light to talk more in Season 2, which is great because he's doing the same obnoxious dickhead character he does in PWG these days.

I want to see this now, because off the top of my head I can't recall seeing a heel spot monkey/flippy dude before in the wrestling I've watched.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CobiWann posted:

I want to see this now, because off the top of my head I can't recall seeing a heel spot monkey/flippy dude before in the wrestling I've watched.

Well, the top heel in WWE for a good part of 2015 did Phoenix Splashes on his big matches. :v:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Dias posted:

Well, the top heel in WWE for a good part of 2015 did Phoenix Splashes on his big matches. :v:

Stephanie McMahon did a Phoenix Splash?!?

To me, Rollins is a high-flyer, Evans is flippy. I can't describe the difference but I know it when I see it.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

CobiWann posted:

Stephanie McMahon did a Phoenix Splash?!?

To me, Rollins is a high-flyer, Evans is flippy. I can't describe the difference but I know it when I see it.

High Flyer is when you do high-risk stuff out of the ring or off the top rope.

Flippy is when you do somersaults into the ropes when someone irish whips you.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I genuinely feel that Fox should cast Brian Cage as Cable in a Deadpool sequel. He's the most Liefeldian man I've ever seen.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

"They call me Cable because I'm from the future!"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gavok posted:

"They call me Cable because I'm from the future!"

Ironically, everything in the future is wireless.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The Machine They Call Him Cable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I believe we answered the question in the title.

Please join me in the brand new OFFICIAL SEASON TWO IS THIS WEEK THREAD here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761258

• Locked thread