Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ShredsYouSay posted:

Now I'm imagining Riven, but with Croberts as Gehn. Wasn't his schtick that he was such a terrible writer that his worlds always fell apart?

hosed if I know, I ended up buying a guide (lol) that walked me through the game, I remember the guide opened with something like "This guide is not intended to explain or show you how to play Riven, it is designed to be followed step by step unquestioned to get you through it"
I just liked the pretty pictures :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lonkface posted:

Since it's obviously bothersome to read through a successful authors work sometimes, I don't even wanna think about what it's like going through SQ42's script that's.. how many thousands of pages now?

If Chris can follow the convention, it should be about 600–700 pages. So I'm guessing it's 2,000, more than half of which is pointless stage direction.

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.

Ash1138 posted:

I don't see it. The Avenger is more of a delta-wing/lifting body kind of look, but arched like a cat or something.

Gotta have a drink

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Well I made it so have a nosey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTvMIH71rQc

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Godmode Enabled posted:

Gotta have a drink

…come to think of it, maybe it wasn't the A-6 but rather the RAH-66 I was reminded off. I mean, both the A and the 6 appear in both, right? :D

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

G0RF posted:

That's not really fair. They've got lots of creative ideas brewing!

You've gotta be kidding me.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Without changing their entire jump system, interdiction wont work. The jumps, even within system, are just loading screens.

Unless their definition of interdictions are like points in eve, less interdiction and more stopping people from warping in the first place.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 22, 2016

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

You wrote two sentences and both blew my mind, that's a 100% hit rate my freind

I'm like the shitposting version of that Marvel baddie who always throws darts real good or whatever.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/41xc3x/what_happened_to_the_power_armor_challenge/

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Scruffpuff posted:

You've gotta be kidding me.
Interdiction is a revolutionary idea for a space combat mechanic and frankly I can't believe nobody has ever attempted it before.

I look forward to an immersive, fidelity rich demonstration video by end of year!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

gently caress, now I'm hungry and I don't know what I want.

If only making pierogies wasn't so friggin tedious. I'm always in the mood for pierogies.

A local arcade does free play at the end of the week and pierogies as their main (re: only) dish. Its loving amazing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

2DCAT posted:

please add my catte jaga, tia

...and in case he needs to be in proper military attire:

Oh cool my cat looks almost identical to yours.

I had a dream earlier and it was reminiscent of the guy that was terminal and asked to get a private screening of The Force Awakens before he died. In the dream it was a terminal whale who asked to play a release version of SC. So, they loaded up the game for him and he starts playing and he says at the end "that was great guys thanks" and passes on. Turns out the technicians couldn't get the game to load at all so just let him play Elite. Anyway that was it, it wasn't a great dream.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Iglocska posted:

X-wings and Y-wings to me are not that different. Sure, some of the SC designs are better than others, buy you look at this:

and think "military fighter", you look at this:

and you think "space truck", which is good enough.

Also, you look at this:

and you obviously think "space news van".

I'm still not over this lol. They dont look like the things youre saying they are in the slightest.

The first one looks like some kind of gunship and not a fighter. Its got long wings to work in atmoshpere or something and strafe at different angels.

The second is some kind of heavy weapons platform with the big railguns on the side and flat back that should have some kind of mounted gun. There is nothing about it that looks like a cargo ship. The cockpit is huge relative to any cargobay. Its too small to be a truck and doesnt look fast for some kind of smuggling ship and seems rigged to just mount weapons above its size category.

The news van hilarious looks like some kind of fighter/bomber but idk.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The news van looks like a B-wing.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

kingcom posted:

For some reason the news van reminds me of the alien bomber from Xenonauts:

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

So, basically people who unironically think Senator Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising was right all along? I applaud the man's trendy knowledge.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I'll be totally honest, and say the newsvan reminds me of the Catalyst from Eve

e. except the cat looks more interesting.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

That Works posted:

The news van looks like a B-wing.

Yeah but with an A-wings engines?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
they brought the total players back down to 16 in the latest patch :lol:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

kingcom posted:

I'm still not over this lol. They dont look like the things youre saying they are in the slightest.

The first one looks like some kind of gunship and not a fighter. Its got long wings to work in atmoshpere or something and strafe at different angels.

The second is some kind of heavy weapons platform with the big railguns on the side and flat back that should have some kind of mounted gun. There is nothing about it that looks like a cargo ship. The cockpit is huge relative to any cargobay. Its too small to be a truck and doesnt look fast for some kind of smuggling ship and seems rigged to just mount weapons above its size category.

Of all things Star Citizen, the News Van Ship has to be the most surreal. The more you think about it, the deeper you dive into the insanity of the backers who proposed such an idea. There are people out there who think that in a heavily-instanced mini-area of 16 people, it would be fun for them to take up one of those slots to just fly around and look at the other 15 people, then report on their activities. Then, ostensibly, post them on YouTube and become some kind of space-Kronkite. What do they think those 15 people will be doing that would make for interesting viewing? Who the gently caress is going to watch something like that on YouTube? And since there's no persistence in a galaxy split into shards of 16 players each, why would anyone care? At least in EVE, with a single universe run by its inhabitants, there actually can be a newsworthy event that affects your play. But here, there is nothing, and there never will be anything. Do they think they're going to fly into a space battle, but not be participants themselves, and that will be more fun to watch than someone else who is actually IN the battle? The more I try to deep dive into their psyche, the more I disconnect from reason.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

A Neurotic Jew posted:

they brought the total players back down to 16 in the latest patch :lol:

Didn't they increase it to 24 like...2 days ago?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

quote:

Some important call-outs:
We are aware that ArcCorp is still suffering from some texture problems and level of detail popping.
VFG Industrial has a small spot of missing collision in the floor, in front of the hangar bay doors to the elevator. It can be avoided by sprinting over it or using the Main Menu → Universe interface.
The Vanguard Warden can sometimes spawn in with one or more of its lasers floating inside of the ship.
Similarly, the Vanguard Warden lasers will rarely fire off-center.

Arena Commander Module: Balance/Tweaks:

Ships
The Vanguard Warden has received a number of maneuverability tweaks, based on feedback and our own observations.

Simple movements should result in much less oversteer and sliding when doing simple movements.
Changes of direction when pitching and yawing should now come with improved acceleration.
It should no longer be able to get into unrecoverable spins unless severely damaged.

Fixes:
Ships
Fixed an issue where Vanguard Pilots would find their character eyes visible in the middle of their screen, after respawning in Arena Commander games.

Persistent Universe:

Additions:

Gameplay
The max player count for Crusader has been returned to 16.
We gathered a ton of great data during the time it was increased, thanks to everyone who jumped into for testing!

Fixes:
Environment
Removed an errant Devastator-12 Energy Shotgun that would spawn inside of one of rare wrecks in the Yela Asteroid Field.
This was removed because it would cause a client crash. If any player finds this still in-game on this new build, please report it to Issue Council ASAP. Thank you!

Technical
Made several FPS performance improvements to the Constellation Andromeda while in Crusader.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Didn't they increase it to 24 like...2 days ago?

yes

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Scruffpuff posted:

Of all things Star Citizen, the News Van Ship has to be the most surreal. The more you think about it, the deeper you dive into the insanity of the backers who proposed such an idea. There are people out there who think that in a heavily-instanced mini-area of 16 people, it would be fun for them to take up one of those slots to just fly around and look at the other 15 people, then report on their activities. Then, ostensibly, post them on YouTube and become some kind of space-Kronkite. What do they think those 15 people will be doing that would make for interesting viewing? Who the gently caress is going to watch something like that on YouTube? And since there's no persistence in a galaxy split into shards of 16 players each, why would anyone care? At least in EVE, with a single universe run by its inhabitants, there actually can be a newsworthy event that affects your play. But here, there is nothing, and there never will be anything. Do they think they're going to fly into a space battle, but not be participants themselves, and that will be more fun to watch than someone else who is actually IN the battle? The more I try to deep dive into their psyche, the more I disconnect from reason.

It's like watching an e-sport, except you're actually part of the game-world and will probably be the first to die.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

quote:

We gathered a ton of great data during the time it was increased, thanks to everyone who jumped into for testing!

i guess finding out your game crashes in exciting new and unexpected ways is "data"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

quote:

Gameplay
The max player count for Crusader has been returned to 16.

Lol. Those 48 hours gave us a metric ton of valuable data like:

Holy gently caress, don't increase the max player count!
and
Game cannot support more than 16 players, please consult with Chairman

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

quote:

Removed an errant Devastator-12 Energy Shotgun that would spawn inside of one of rare wrecks in the Yela Asteroid Field.

It's about goddamned time.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
wait it was actually yesterday they upped the player count.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Why are people hotlinking? Pretty much all the broken links are from people just hotlinking.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

quote:

:allears:

quote:

This was removed because it would cause a client crash. If any player finds this still in-game on this new build, please report it to Issue Council ASAP. Thank you!

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mirificus posted:

:allears:
[/quote]

On pace for a 2016 delivery

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/41x4j1/ran_across_this_post_and_thought_it_was_cool_how/

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

Also we've had military planes able to take film of battles they're in practically since military planes were a thing. Why would we need a dedicated news van at all even within the 'verse's lore?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

So, I remember once upon a long ago when the original Splinter Cell was put on a demo disc for xBox about 10 months ahead of it's release date. It had a fully working level with all the features that reached the final game, with some really complex game mechanics for it's day. The only thing that wasn't perfect was some of the textures were obviously fill ins or low res.

If anyone thinks SC will be out, as promised, within the next 4 years, they're utter idiots.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Those evil corporate overlords, always wanting their "return" i.e. a completed product. By keeping it in CIG's hands, we never have to worry about that!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Also we've had military planes able to take film of battles they're in practically since military planes were a thing. Why would we need a dedicated news van at all even within the 'verse's lore?
Gun cameras no longer exist in the 30th century.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

it is so bizarre to me that people think they are playing a game that is worthy of $5m development

seriously, far better, less buggy incredibly brilliant games with shoestring budgets are being developed like every day now. it's a loving bonkers golden age of videogames and here they are creamin pants over something that crashes if you look at it wrong

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Xaerael posted:

So, I remember once upon a long ago when the original Splinter Cell was put on a demo disc for xBox about 10 months ahead of it's release date. It had a fully working level with all the features that reached the final game, with some really complex game mechanics for it's day. The only thing that wasn't perfect was some of the textures were obviously fill ins or low res.

If anyone thinks SC will be out, as promised, within the next 4 years, they're utter idiots.

I watched the Mafia 3 demo the other day, which appeared to me to be a completely finished and functional game. They were playing through bits of it explaining this and that, and then I spotted the text in the lower-left corner of the screen: "Pre-Alpha".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Scruffpuff posted:

Those evil corporate overlords, always wanting their "return" i.e. a completed product. By keeping it in CIG's hands, we never have to worry about that!

At the last citizenCon, there was a moment where Roberts turned to the crowd and triumphantly yelled "AND THERE WILL BE NO ASSIGNED RELEASE DATE!" and everyone cheered

scary

• Locked thread