Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

alf_pogs posted:

this is exactly why i'm hooked too. i want to see it happen in glorious real-time and surely this year's the year.

i always wanted a proper autopsy of what went wrong with aliens: colonial marines, which was the last time i preordered a game. that was a good lesson to learn. but this project is on a whole other scale, and unlike the weird sega / gearbox buck passing at the end of A:CM there's no real confusion about who's responsible for the end product.

The ultimate end will be one that is somewhat anti-climatic. I hate to say it, but while Croberts is a buffoon in game design and vision, the years have taken their toll and he is a drat smart business person because of it. With that said, he'll ride into the sunset on a saddle of cash after the various courts and accounting methods are finally hammered out years from now and everyone has lost interest. I mean, geez, those multiple companies didn't exist for the game... And there he has it, a nice padded resume dealing with star actors as well when he is reborn like a cat headed phoenix.

They have already been unraveling this debacle for the past few months. I think it finally hit them when they couldn't make sense of what to do with Star Marine. Lack of updates, just general tweaking, no one knowing what is going on with the code, etc. The development team is obviously at their wits end because they see the choo-choo train coming through the tunnel.

I expect cash to still flow in for them for a while. But there is only so much one can do to show progress to keep the masses happy. The most curious part is how far will the lemmings go to support it.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

Basically it all boils down to architecture and data budgets.

As a result of laying down all of these specifics, an engine builds up thresholds in its tolerance to changes in the underlying assumptions made in order to turn the engine into a viable product

For people who are not programmers but really want to understand why everything is hosed up I think this is really enough to paint a beautiful picture

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

spacetoaster posted:

From AtV today.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rhubarb94 posted:

Traditional Brit Stew (does not contain actual brit) this is the sort of thing northern brits eat, it is not to be confused with the awful rubbish served in restaurants.

Serves 2 fat people, or 3-4 if trying to be polite

Ingredients (all should be chopped into lumps *)
1 gammon steak or 3 really thick bacon slices (smoked is fine if you like)
A big onion chopped
3 medium carrots
2 potato
1 leek
(other than onion all veg can be swapped for whatever vegetables are at hand)
2 flat handfuls of lentils
2 stock cubes vegetable or ham
(optional dumplings suet and self raising flour with dried herbs, dumping mix acceptable)

Chop onion and bacon fry in a big pan with dollop of butter and oil (if doing dumplings turn the oven on fairly hot now). Start chopping veg, once bacon is browned and onion softened add chopped veg and stir (add a tablespoon of plain flour and stir now for thick stew). Crumble in stock cubes and add boiling water to cover ingredients, stir well bring to a simmer. Taste before seasoning (bacon/gammon can be very salty) with salt and pepper. Add lentils and stir. Simmer for 30 mins or until the leek has mostly disintegrated.

Scoff with crusty bread and butter.

Optional dumplings, cook as above but simmer for only twenty minutes then pour into a casserole dish and add herb dumplings, bake in fairly hot oven (no lid) for 25-30 mins until dumplings are golden brown on top.

*a nice lump is too big for a teaspoon but able to share a soup spoon with 2 or three other lumps

this looks british, yes

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
In defense of the shotgun crashing the game, I've heard of this sort of thing happening before and almost always it's been shotguns as the culprit because the wily little things seem to cause all sorts of trouble when the games in question try to sort out the results of firing it and all its little sprayed pellets or whatever you want to call it. A friend tells me one shotgun in ARMA 3 would cause entire buildings to collapse if you shot at them due to some interaction of the code making the game think the shotgun's blast hitting the building was a tank shell.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

:worship:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

In defense of the shotgun crashing the game, I've heard of this sort of thing happening before and almost always it's been shotguns as the culprit because the wily little things seem to cause all sorts of trouble when the games in question try to sort out the results of firing it and all its little sprayed pellets or whatever you want to call it. A friend tells me one shotgun in ARMA 3 would cause entire buildings to collapse if you shot at them due to some interaction of the code making the game think the shotgun's blast hitting the building was a tank shell.

Now I kinda wish they kept this in.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

I think the key thing that really needs to sink in for non-programmers who want to know what's funny relating to CryEngine is that there are a million ways to solve any given problem in software and we can't[*] figure out definitively how those problems were solved by looking at the finished game.

Most of the attempts to point out really nitty-gritty implementation information in this thread is conjecture. At best we can point out high-level fuckups like trying to extend an engine which was never designed to support MMOs to do so -- no matter how you attempt to solve that, it's going to be an absolute lemon. Much like trying to get your riding lawnmower to break the vehicular ground speed record would be.

[*] Yes, you can decompile the game and start reverse engineering it but to form a meaningful understanding of the architecture and how things are implemented it's totally impractical, for anything bigger than Solitaire, unless you want to spend months or years on it

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The patch notes didn't say anything about firing or even picking-up the shotgun.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Mendrian posted:

Maybe someone who actually programs can give me some insight into this:

Why isn't the number of players per instance like their top loving priority? That seems like something that will never be able to change once you release the game minus maybe some miracle optimization trick that could double that number some point way, way down the line. Each system you layer on top of it is only going to give the system more data to process and lower the effective number of people. It would seem to me that's something you build your entire game around - 'Okay, we want X number of people per instance and no less. Any system that interferes with that either needs to be optimized or trashed'.

EDIT: I mean I suppose it would depend on why more players are unfeasible? Like if number 17 joins and the whole engine has a little vomit, that's a bigger problem than, '16 is the magic number. After that it starts to chug a bit.'

Player counts and events that the server has to track are an n-squared problem, aka each additional player in an area makes for exponentially more CPU and network time consumed. In addition, there's the part about how game servers work- They run on a fixed tick rate, or frame rate, on the server side, and once you add enough events that need processing in each frame such that the server can no longer get to them all in 25ms/50ms/whatever tick rate they use, then poo poo goes decidedly tits up. This game, like every other online game that gives a poo poo about cheating in some form, is server authoritative, so once those frames start rolling over bad poo poo starts happening in all forms. Everything slows down, gets more jittery, rubber bands, or just plain hard locks in place until the server can catch up.

Add to that, that the people smart enough to do it well are both unicorns and are probably already working for blizzard and valve, and lol.
(And even they aren't magic, look at what happens in Diablo 3 when you hit greater rift 80+ with 4 people and you can only pull a couple mobs at once and can't even use any area damage or dots lest you bring the server to it's knees and hard lock your game till you die)

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

Wow, my first effort post on SA... hope you enjoyed it :-)

This is a good post and I wish that there were more good technical posts in these threads.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

also, these were fascinating reads

I guess it goes a long way to explain to non-techheads like me why CryEngine wasn't the best idea for a game of SC's scope.

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

Ancient Aliens: Closer Encounters

spacetoaster posted:

From AtV today.

sums it up

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Colostomy Bag posted:

And there he has it, a nice padded resume dealing with star actors as well when he is reborn like a cat headed phoenix.

good one

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Lime Tonics posted:

A loving FPS weapon breaks the game, I still can't even.....

I can't stop laughing about this for some reason, it's so loving weird/bad/wtf dev.

I mean come on.

edit : star citizen : don't touch that shotgun

To be fair, there are a lot of reasons why a weapon firing could crash the game that aren't pants-on-head retarded. If you have a custom particle effect that's been attached to the bullets but the effect has been moved or deleted, if you have a unique sound effect called that isn't there, if you have a projectile speed that missed a decimal point and breaks physics, any one of those things could cause the game cycle to just go "FUUUUUUUUU :supaburn:" and hit a fatal error.

Now, you could put in error handling for this sort of thing, but at the point you add that in it's cheaper to just fix the drat thing, unless you're already using global error handling (Like WoW's infamous "Shane-Cubes") but that means CIG planning ahead which means no.

So, while it is a stupid crash to have, it's not by any means a stupidity unique to Star Citizen. I bet most FPSes at one point or another have a weapon that crashes the game when it's used.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

GetWellGamers posted:

To be fair, there are a lot of reasons why a weapon firing could crash the game that aren't pants-on-head retarded.

What percentage of CIG's FPS weapons crash the game when fired?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Gwaihir posted:

Player counts and events that the server has to track are an n-squared problem, aka each additional player in an area makes for exponentially more CPU and network time consumed. In addition, there's the part about how game servers work- They run on a fixed tick rate, or frame rate, on the server side, and once you add enough events that need processing in each frame such that the server can no longer get to them all in 25ms/50ms/whatever tick rate they use, then poo poo goes decidedly tits up. This game, like every other online game that gives a poo poo about cheating in some form, is server authoritative, so once those frames start rolling over bad poo poo starts happening in all forms. Everything slows down, gets more jittery, rubber bands, or just plain hard locks in place until the server can catch up.

Add to that, that the people smart enough to do it well are both unicorns and are probably already working for blizzard and valve, and lol.
(And even they aren't magic, look at what happens in Diablo 3 when you hit greater rift 80+ with 4 people and you can only pull a couple mobs at once and can't even use any area damage or dots lest you bring the server to it's knees and hard lock your game till you die)

Yeah, that's the bitch about CS...realizing there really is a limit on what can be accomplished in a finite amount of time.

But hey, none of us in the community have any clue on this type of stuff so we are just basic goons.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

GetWellGamers posted:

To be fair, there are a lot of reasons why a weapon firing could crash the game that aren't pants-on-head retarded. If you have a custom particle effect that's been attached to the bullets but the effect has been moved or deleted, if you have a unique sound effect called that isn't there, if you have a projectile speed that missed a decimal point and breaks physics, any one of those things could cause the game cycle to just go "FUUUUUUUUU :supaburn:" and hit a fatal error.

Now, you could put in error handling for this sort of thing, but at the point you add that in it's cheaper to just fix the drat thing, unless you're already using global error handling (Like WoW's infamous "Shane-Cubes") but that means CIG planning ahead which means no.

So, while it is a stupid crash to have, it's not by any means a stupidity unique to Star Citizen. I bet most FPSes at one point or another have a weapon that crashes the game when it's used.

Read the patch note again.

quote:

Removed an errant Devastator-12 Energy Shotgun that would spawn inside of one of rare wrecks in the Yela Asteroid Field.
This was removed because it would cause a client crash. If any player finds this still in-game on this new build, please report it to Issue Council ASAP. Thank you!

If I'm not mistaken it's not the firing that crashes the game. They accidentally placed it somewhere and it crashes due simply to it being there.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 22, 2016

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

someone in this thread mentioned that the SC alpha at the moment doesn't have any bug-reporting feature, automated or otherwise.

is this true? it seems (to my feeble, non-game-development brain) that without something like this, it's nearly impossible to determine common issues, let alone their causes. so i guess my question is, what exactly are CIG learning from this whole thing? how are they checking the game?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Mirificus posted:

The patch notes didn't say anything about firing or even picking-up the shotgun.

It just existing would have instacrashed the servers though wouldn't it? Unless it's something tied into merely eyeballing the thing (which is something I've seen happen before in other games too).

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I just started teaching myself python so I figure a few more hours of practice I have enough skills to apply for CIG since they don't actually program much of anything

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Gwaihir posted:

Just to elaborate on tracking things being an n2-problem -- this is true in theory. If we have a multiplayer game with a single room with 10 clients standing in it, and one of the clients jumps, the server needs to tell every other client about that person jumping. In a large-world game like an MMO, this technically isn't the case anymore. If you're far enough away (for some value of "far enough"), some clients can't see you anymore, and don't need to receive the notification that says "someone jumped".

This is a simplified example, but explains a basic optimization step. Seems like a no-brainer for something to implement, right? The problem is that defining "far enough" adds more complexity, as does sending notifications conditionally. If I don't tell everyone what you're doing because we're too far away from each other, what happens when you move close enough that I now need to know what's up? Now you need to figure out what I've missed out on and send me only the necessary information (the "delta") of what has changed.

In a complex system like a multiplayer game the number of things you need to maintain to deal with tracking all of this information grows very rapidly. The more code you need to write, the more it needs to interact correctly with other systems; the more interactions you have, the more points of failure you have. You could picture even well-designed software as somewhat of a rube goldbergian contraption, in that no individual part is truly independent from anything else, even if it feels like it should be. Really well designed software will minimize this, but we're not talking about really well designed software. lol.

Even if increasing the client count is their number one priority, the complex systems they're adding (like "local grids") make already difficult problems like netcode become even more convoluted to solve.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I just started teaching myself python so I figure a few more hours of practice I have enough skills to apply for CIG since they don't actually program much of anything

To get you up to speed with the rest of the team can you demonstrate that you can follow these three steps?
1. Open ships.xml
2. ctrl+f "##Ship max speed"
3. add or substract the result of a d10 to d6 ships

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

alf_pogs posted:

someone in this thread mentioned that the SC alpha at the moment doesn't have any bug-reporting feature, automated or otherwise.

is this true? it seems (to my feeble, non-game-development brain) that without something like this, it's nearly impossible to determine common issues, let alone their causes. so i guess my question is, what exactly are CIG learning from this whole thing? how are they checking the game?

do you really need an itemised list of 'everything'? without hyperbole it would be quicker to have everyone report what they feel is completely finished and as designed.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

T.G. Xarbala posted:

also, these were fascinating reads

I guess it goes a long way to explain to non-techheads like me why CryEngine wasn't the best idea for a game of SC's scope.

There's the old saying that there is the right tool for the job.

Could Unreal have done it better? Perhaps. Probably could have brought it a little closer to the vision but I'm sure it would lack fidelity. Trade offs of quality vs. performance.

I can't imagine what the poor bastard who has DB duties dealing with the PU is feeling like.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

alf_pogs posted:

They're learning the limitations of the Citizen's gullibility and willingness to suspend their wishes to fly the stuff they've bought.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, that's the bitch about CS...realizing there really is a limit on what can be accomplished in a finite amount of time.

But hey, none of us in the community have any clue on this type of stuff so we are just basic goons.

To make matters worse, there's some evidence to suggest that CRobber never made that realisation. The infamous dev/designer letter where the author complained about how the design team was never given a (resource) budget for their assets because ”CryEngine will take care of it” hints at a deep-seated misunderstanding of how game engines work on the executive level of the company…

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

titaniumone posted:

Just to elaborate on tracking things being an n2-problem -- this is true in theory. If we have a multiplayer game with a single room with 10 clients standing in it, and one of the clients jumps, the server needs to tell every other client about that person jumping. In a large-world game like an MMO, this technically isn't the case anymore. If you're far enough away (for some value of "far enough"), some clients can't see you anymore, and don't need to receive the notification that says "someone jumped".

This is a simplified example, but explains a basic optimization step. Seems like a no-brainer for something to implement, right? The problem is that defining "far enough" adds more complexity, as does sending notifications conditionally. If I don't tell everyone what you're doing because we're too far away from each other, what happens when you move close enough that I now need to know what's up? Now you need to figure out what I've missed out on and send me only the necessary information (the "delta") of what has changed.

In a complex system like a multiplayer game the number of things you need to maintain to deal with tracking all of this information grows very rapidly. The more code you need to write, the more it needs to interact correctly with other systems; the more interactions you have, the more points of failure you have. You could picture even well-designed software as somewhat of a rube goldbergian contraption, in that no individual part is truly independent from anything else, even if it feels like it should be. Really well designed software will minimize this, but we're not talking about really well designed software. lol.

Even if increasing the client count is their number one priority, the complex systems they're adding (like "local grids") make already difficult problems like netcode become even more convoluted to solve.

Nice post and agree completely. Problem is the genre of the game. They are dealing with space with distances that makes your head spin. Most MMO games deal with a much smaller area "in game". Guess what I'm saying is, they can't cheat just because of the venue they chosen in game and have to simulate the torpedo from 3 km away hitting the hull.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

alf_pogs posted:

The only way to report bugs through the Issue Council website. People have asked for a bug reporting tool on the RSI forums but they generally die a quick and lonely death from what I've seen. As far as I know, there are no near-term plans to implement any bug reporting tools.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna quit my job so I can work full time on catching up in this thread.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Romes128 posted:

I'm gonna quit my job so I can work full time on catching up in this thread.

It doesn't pay well. Want my referral code?

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

Now, there are steps that can be taken to greatly mitigate the increased traffic, such as defining interaction "causality bubbles" where fine-grain interactions are only sent to peers in the general locality, but the engine still needs to be able to cope under the strain of all players choosing to be in the same place at once.
One thing to note with Star Citizen is currently they do not have the bubbles. Everyone on the server is informed of every interaction.

So hypothetically there could be some gains in performance if they've hired someone recently who actually knows how to partition things as you described. Why they haven't in the three years prior is funnytragicanyone's guess.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

What is the coolest feature in Star Citizen for you?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

T.G. Xarbala posted:

this looks british, yes

1 veg, 1 meat and a minimum of effort :britain:

He didn't pour a pint into the broth though so it loses some points

E: I'm reminded of a Welsh rarebit recipe I ran into once that went roughly thus:

code:
WELSH RAREBIT

INGREDIENTS

1 quantity beer
1 quantity cheese

PREPARATION:

Drink beer, then eat cheese.

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 22, 2016

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

"Great. The world's most boring human."

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

It doesn't pay well. Want my referral code?

How many ships can I buy with 5000 credits friend?

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Booblord Zagats posted:

At worst Derek Smart is video game Rommel

Iglocska posted:

aleksendr posted:

That thing does not make me feel A10 at all. More like F4
In all seriousness - take away the doritos crap and keep the colour and it looks 100x better than the ships in game. Why can't things be a bit more colourful?
this x100. You can't sacrifice artistic design for realism because this is space and none of it is real.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Also we've had military planes able to take film of battles they're in practically since military planes were a thing. Why would we need a dedicated news van at all even within the 'verse's lore?
Because the people who publish that guncam footage don't have the journalistic integrity to show the news without bias or something.

Gonkish posted:

I just watched The Big Short.

Christian Bale's character in that is roughly analogous to Derek's role with SC, and eventually there's gonna be a movie about this shitheap of a scam where he's inevitably played by Denzel Washington or Will Smith... and the name of this movie will be "LET ME loving FINISH". Only the white people in it will get nominated, because Hollywood.
I would buy this movie on space bluray

"Of course there will be strict common sense gun control laws enabled in the verse, and some players will even be able to join the space police division to help hunt down dirty goons."

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Romes128 posted:

How many ships can I buy with 5000 credits friend?

Good point. You could buy an aquarium though. But not all the fish will show up.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Since I can no longer keep up with the thread I have to ask, who is the birdman?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Since I can no longer keep up with the thread I have to ask, who is the birdman?

To be honest I don't know. But given the absolute insanity I assume there will be a zookeeper in the verse picking up animal poop. Hopefully the news van films the fucker for news at 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oddly enough all this talk about adding the most boring and tedious poo poo to the game like jobs and cat poo poo removal and I've haven't seen anything about having a space girlfriend. Or are backers so worried about realism and fidelity that they'd get rejected in game too?

• Locked thread