Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I forgot how much rear end Sara kicked. Solid opening to the show, that bar fight was easily the best non S2 or S4 Arrow scene from any of these shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This was a really fun watch. Can't wait for the rest of the series. If they are having a hard time tracking Savage, maybe they should sneak up on him a week before he was on Flash/Arrow. (Or team up with their past selves from the Flash/Arrow crossover and explain who needs to get the final hit.)

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

lotus circle posted:

Also hoping the show's direction means less CW drama bullshit will come into play because it'll be more action based.

We should get minimal CW drama with this being an anthology that's already jam packed with characters, but even Daredevil couldn't maintain its form all the way through, so I wouldn't expect any better of this show.

I'm guessing this show will be CW testing the waters to figure out where their comic book audience lies. At first the universe was going to be grounded and realistic, then Flash showed that superpowers/magic were not only acceptable, but even more in demand to the low-budget Nolan-esque Arrow. Now we have a show where, outside of the Hawks, we should get no poorly executed relationship drama. If audiences respond well to this, changes will likely filter down to Arrow and Flash - if not, and it turns out that Tumblrina shippers are the ones delivering CWs good ratings, expect that they will continue to pander to them going forward.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I like the idea of Sarah watching Workaholics on satellite in Nanda Parbat :3:

Let's get weird indeed.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

FELD1 posted:

With such a great ensemble cast there's a lot of potential for some really good character interactions. We already got a taste of that with that barfight scene. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

I noticed they even built in a reason from the beginning why the group would get split up. They didn't need anyone maimed or murdered, and nothing needed to be stolen. Maybe next time they need something stolen so they bring Atom, Captain Cold and Heatwave. They could probably do most any pairing with that kind of setup.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There'll definitely be a more focused A or B plot with Sara and Snart kicking rear end and taking names before she goes berserk and he has to cool her down while Ray tries to get Stein-sempaisensei to notice him. The Hawks pretty much have no connection to the rest of the team at large which is a tad unfortunate unless there's one with Sara taking serious issue with their relationship. The Hawks are also the only pair that could have any sort of romantic relationship drama so they're on even more thin ice of being the worst of the team.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
"We go out for ONE LOUSY DRINK and you guys somehow manage to pick a fight with Boba Fett!"

I love you forever Wentworth Miller, you whiff now and again but your hits are astonishing.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Heat Wave's gonna be the MVP of this show, I can feel it in my bones. :allears:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Man, the reviews had me so loving ready for this to be a disappointment, and while they're not wrong, the things they nail just hit me right in the special place.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

DivisionPost posted:

Man, the reviews had me so loving ready for this to be a disappointment, and while they're not wrong, the things they nail just hit me right in the special place.

Yeah, this is everything I want in an ensemble action-comedy marred by only a few rough spots. This is gonna be good

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah, this is everything I want in an ensemble action-comedy marred by only a few rough spots. This is gonna be good

Jackson is still cringe worthy and it definitely didn't help that Stein drugged him and kidnapped him.

Everything else? Rad, keep doing it.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

Heat Wave's gonna be the MVP of this show, I can feel it in my bones. :allears:

Heat Wave trying to pass the time by using a time machine to watch over the air TV, then getting pissed when all the TV shows are from the 70s, was really a highlight for me.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
"We go out for one lousy drink, and you manage to start a fight with Boba Fett."

I was excited for this show, and it did not disappoint. DCTV :allears:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Chokes McGee posted:

Jackson is still cringe worthy and it definitely didn't help that Stein drugged him and kidnapped him.

Everything else? Rad, keep doing it.

Young Mister Jackson let Stein know that he would die before he fly.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

raditts posted:

So this is basically Rory's solo adventures after the Doctor left him for dead, right

I'm hoping that Mark Williams shows up as Booster Gold.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The drugged business was odd, and made both characters less likable.

But the larger issue is that I could still not give a flying gently caress about the Hawkpeople drama. The guy playing Hawkman is wooden and dull and I'm hoping he's killed off early.

The guy playing Savage is also deeply unimpressive.

But hey, we've got Brandon Routh and the crooks and Caity Lotz (with improved action!) to keep us going.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Show was great and I'm pretty excited to see where it goes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

But the larger issue is that I could still not give a flying gently caress about the Hawkpeople drama. The guy playing Hawkman is wooden and dull and I'm hoping he's killed off early.

But hey, we've got Brandon Routh and the crooks and Caity Lotz (with improved action!) to keep us going.

Season two should drop the Hawk and Firestorm (not anything against them, but they're the next least interesting after the Hawks) and probably pick up some new blood like Jonah Hex (if he turns out good in his appearance) or John Constantine (Magic+Science :science:) or someone wholly new

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Xelkelvos posted:

Season two should drop the Hawk and Firestorm (not anything against them, but they're the next least interesting after the Hawks) and probably pick up some new blood like Jonah Hex (if he turns out good in his appearance) or John Constantine (Magic+Science :science:) or someone wholly new

I believe that is actually the plan. Each season is self-contained with a new set of heroes. Constantine was confirmed, iirc.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Hawkgirl owns, we got to see her transition from a normal life as a barista into a superheroine complete with having to discover hey powers and becoming comfortable using them.

Hawkman is a wooden quasi-date-rapist whose entire characteristics boil down to either "BUT WE ARE MEANT TO BE TOGETHER FOREVER AND ALWAYS" and "oh yeah I remember that because I have a thousand years of memories :smug:". It's like they're going for brooding and ended up with pushy instead.

Plus, he cockblocked my main man Crisco, and that's unforgivable :colbert:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Can this show just be White Canary, Cap Cold, and Heat Wave broing it up through time?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

if youre really into arthur darvill and specifically arthur darvill as rory williams on that other bad time-travelling sci-fi show how appealing is this show

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ApeHawk posted:

Can this show just be White Canary, Cap Cold, and Heat Wave broing it up through time?

Basically push Hawkman out of an airlock and go back in time to get Ronnie and we're good. Jackson's got potential as a character, but until someone in the writers' room stops being an idiot about black male teenagers on this show (natural athleticism! Illegal drag racer!), he probably ought to get benched for a while.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Toxxupation posted:

if youre really into arthur darvill and specifically arthur darvill as rory williams on that other bad time-travelling sci-fi show how appealing is this show

Imagine him in David Tenant's role only he gets a laser revolver and superhero crew

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

that sounds Really Bad tbh

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

The TV IV > DC's Legends Of Tomorrow: The Averagers Assemble.

This show is laughably bad. The only interesting scene was the 70s bar fight, and the dialog sounds like it was written by a high school drama student. Hilariously, I think this is because they're trying to emulate DC's terrible writing as closely as possible.

Also, they seem to have gotten the fight choreographer from Arrow to ensure that the White Canary's martial arts moves continue to be awkwardly bad. Don't worry, we'll just cover that up with jump cuts!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Can we just have a sitcom of Sarah, Snart and Rory being roommates? She's a vigilante superhero, they're career criminals, wackiness ensues!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

There are some huge problems with this episode and it goes from incredibly fun to dull and horrible acting at the drop of a hat. It's good enough to watch again but yea, definitely not what I would consider great TV.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
As soon as Stein handed over that roofied drink, I just turned to a friend and said, "this is some A-Team poo poo right here."

One nice surprise is one of the strengths everyone hasn't touched on: Brandon Routh really steps up w/ his character here. I like seeing the guy's insecurities on display for his motivations and you have to appreciate that the guy who didn't get the credit as Superman wondering about his place in history is meta as hell. I grew to resent the character in the 3rd season of Arrow but I really appreciated the way he was used here.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Chokes McGee posted:

Basically push Hawkman out of an airlock and go back in time to get Ronnie and we're good. Jackson's got potential as a character, but until someone in the writers' room stops being an idiot about black male teenagers on this show (natural athleticism! Illegal drag racer!), he probably ought to get benched for a while.

Wally West is also an illegal racer. Are they running out of ideas?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think the writers expected Hunter's big "my family were killed" to be the big emotional moment, whereas I found Routh's "no one will remember me" reflection far more affecting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Unfortunately the show is a team ensemble where I just can't really get into most of the team. I thought the lead guy was kind of crappy. Atom was just kind of there and uncharacteristically bland and I've loved him on Arrow. Hawkman's actor is just as wooden, boring, and lifeless as Jay Garrick's actor. The guy playing Firestorm is even worse at any kind of serious emoting than Caity Lotz is, without the benefit of at least being enjoyable at other times. Caity is fine in the lighter moments and great at the action stuff but whenever she has to get serious she's just not good at all. Victor Garber is good, but his character is very unlikable, even more so than he was on Flash. Heat Wave was fun in a dumb way which is perfect. And once again Snart was the best thing in the show.

I kind of saw it coming from the promo material outside of the first real trailer which was good, not the announcement one before they were actually shooting, but this show is just kind of a disappointing mess. I know it's only half the pilot, but none of my problems stem from story elements that can be corrected with time. The group of actors just doesn't work for me. In fact it's the opposite of Flash where I love the actors and characters but the plotting is starting to become garbage. The plot of this show is perfectly fine but the cast just doesn't work for me at all.

X-O fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 22, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I've never watched Arrow or Flash (not an intentional decision; I just watch a lot of TV and never managed to fit either of those shows into my DVR schedule), but i'm cognizant of the characters on this show, and their DC Comics back stories.

Am I gonna be lost most of the time with regards to references to prior events, or is this something I can jump into and enjoy by itself?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gonz posted:

I've never watched Arrow or Flash (not an intentional decision; I just watch a lot of TV and never managed to fit either of those shows into my DVR schedule), but i'm cognizant of the characters on this show, and their DC Comics back stories.

Am I gonna be lost most of the time with regards to references to prior events, or is this something I can jump into and enjoy by itself?

The first episode is pretty much 75% exposition so you won't really be lost, they pretty much take their sweet rear end time catching you up on everything you do and don't really need to know.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Axel Serenity posted:

I believe that is actually the plan. Each season is self-contained with a new set of heroes. Constantine was confirmed, iirc.

Every season should start off with Rip Hunter giving the same speech to another set of scrubs that he's about to feed to the meat grinder :black101:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also regarding Constantine possibly being on the show in the future, Guggenheim just recently said in the last week in an interview when they were given clearance to use the character in their universe it was in agreement that it was for a one time appearance only. So I wouldn't look for Matt Ryan to be back in the role any time soon, if at all. Which is a shame since he actually does really well with the character.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

X-O posted:

Also regarding Constantine possibly being on the show in the future, Guggenheim just recently said in the last week in an interview when they were given clearance to use the character in their universe it was in agreement that it was for a one time appearance only. So I wouldn't look for Matt Ryan to be back in the role any time soon, if at all. Which is a shame since he actually does really well with the character.

Things can change depending on contracts and licenses. It could be different next year or the year after, but as of yet, it'll probably be just a one off.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I'm guessing Hawkman and Ray will die, and Jackson will get left behind in time.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TyrantWD posted:

I'm guessing Hawkman and Ray will die, and Jackson will get left behind in time.

This would be the best outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sara's new costume looks grimy all the time.

• Locked thread