Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

So Ciri is new for Wild Hunt, right? I just finished 1 & 2 and was expecting them to give her some backstory like they did Triss & Yennefer (I still can't say that with a straight face), but is her introduction really Wild Hunt's "Here is a child. Now here is that child as a woman. Go turn her into a trading card"?

hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I forgot how massive this game is and then I realized I played for 2 hours and literally only collected diagrams for some cat gear for those last 2 hours

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I forgot how massive this game is and then I realized I played for 2 hours and literally only collected diagrams for some cat gear for those last 2 hours
*Geralt crawls away on all fours and even goes as far as saying "meow" as he exits around the corner.*

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Really the only fault I can find in this game thus far is the music. Not that it's bad (other than the theme that comes in when you get near the main Nilfgardian army camp in the east) but there's not enough variety and what there is loops way too quickly.
I've spent so long wandering and exploring now that some of it is beginning to grate, is it easy enough to mod in some new tracks from, say, the skyrim ost or such?

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shannow posted:

Really the only fault I can find in this game thus far is the music. Not that it's bad (other than the theme that comes in when you get near the main Nilfgardian army camp in the east) but there's not enough variety and what there is loops way too quickly.
I've spent so long wandering and exploring now that some of it is beginning to grate, is it easy enough to mod in some new tracks from, say, the skyrim ost or such?

:shittypop: You might be the only person in existence that complains about the music in this game. It's incredible and there is a ton of it too when you compare it to other open-world RPGs. Skyrim? Please.

How far are you into the game? Each of the big three regions has its own soundtrack, and then there is the DLC.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Skyrim's combat themes are great. I like Witcher 3's soundtrack but I also can't recall most of it offhand.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Shannow posted:

You are an insane person.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I mean, gently caress, there are even amazing tunes in this game that you can easily miss because you'll hear it only once in a side quest. Like this one.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

fspades posted:

:shittypop: You might be the only person in existence that complains about the music in this game. It's incredible and there is a ton of it too when you compare it to other open-world RPGs. Skyrim? Please.

How far are you into the game? Each of the big three regions has its own soundtrack, and then there is the DLC.

I love most of the music in the game, but it does loop way too quickly. Wander about Skellige for a few hours and you'll be hearing that same theme in your sleep it's repeated so many times.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shannow posted:

I love most of the music in the game, but it does loop way too quickly. Wander about Skellige for a few hours and you'll be hearing that same theme in your sleep it's repeated so many times.

That's more of a problem of TW3 being a drat long game that takes 100+ hours to complete though.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
The Enya-like vocal tracks I didn't like so much, but otherwise the music is phenomenal. That sad descending cello motif when you're wandering around Velen is still stuck in my head.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

fspades posted:

That's more of a problem of TW3 being a drat long game that takes 100+ hours to complete though.

Hence the skyrim comparison, I sunk way more hours into that and never became distracted by repetition in the same way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

As far as I'm concerned actually the soundtrack is AAAAAAAAAH! HEY! :v:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

AAAAAAAAAH! HEY!
Pam paraaaam, pam pam paraaaaam

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I still say that dude sounds like Otto from the Simpsons.

In other news, apparently Witcher 2 is free on Xbox Live right now.
http://www.destructoid.com/the-witcher-2-is-currently-free-on-xbox-live-right-now-335706.phtml

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quote-Unquote posted:

*fart*

OHOHO

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TbJ1ggT2v8

No, Geralt. It is definitively too late.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

captain innocuous posted:

I barely touched Skelige, I was just so high level at that point, and I felt such a rush to finish the story, that I skipped everything there.

Is there a mod that lowers the EXP rate? I think getting about 1/2 to 1/4 the exp would help that for me. Would encourage a slow and careful play-through of most of the story and contract missions.

I use http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/642/ to tweak XP rate to make sure I'm always at or near level for sidequests (Not a big fan of replays, so I like to get as much out of a single runthrough as I can). Once you've got the script working, you can tweak the values for quest and monster XP - though you could just as easily just set it to a lower percentage and forget about it. The modder has kept it working with updates consistently. Nest and gwent XP seems unaffected, but you won't be leveling off that.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Lambert: "Geralt, you goddamn rear end in a top hat, I've been chasing this jerk to hell and back just so that I could stick three feet of steel in his guts; you've personally straight-up MURDERED at least two dozen people trying to track him down, and now you want to just loving let him live because he's "changed?!?" SCREW you and the stupid horse you rode in on; the next time I see you I'm going to punch you RIGHT IN THE FACE!!"

Geralt: ". . . want to play a few rounds of Gwent?"

Lambert: "Hell yeah I want to play Gwent."

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I would pay money to beat the piss out of Durden the Tailor over and over.

Also Leshens are so much fun to fight

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Lambert: "Geralt, you goddamn rear end in a top hat, I've been chasing this jerk to hell and back just so that I could stick three feet of steel in his guts; you've personally straight-up MURDERED at least two dozen people trying to track him down, and now you want to just loving let him live because he's "changed?!?" SCREW you and the stupid horse you rode in on; the next time I see you I'm going to punch you RIGHT IN THE FACE!!"

Geralt: ". . . want to play a few rounds of Gwent?"

Lambert: "Hell yeah I want to play Gwent."

Lol Dijkstra's is virtually the same.

This game, man. It surprises me every time I sit down to play it. Like at the end of the play when Geralt bows the way the Emhyr's servant taught him. I found that really funny because I remember getting the moves wrong every time until the correct one was the only one I hadn't tried. (And then I didn't have him bow when the time came, haha)

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Shannow posted:

Hence the skyrim comparison, I sunk way more hours into that and never became distracted by repetition in the same way.

This is because Skyrim's music is boring as gently caress musically and easy to tune out. Skyrim music was also purposefully composed so that all the themes were derivative from eachother. So all of them blend together really well. This is great for not being jarring when changing themes(such as between ambient and battle, which will happen frequently), but it has the side effect of making all but the most bombastic theme forgetable.

W3 has lots of tonally and stylistically varied music. In addition, lots of the musical influences are based on folk music and music of the time period, neither of which is designed to be ambient or cohesive. While this makes lots of cool variety and interesting music, it does have drawbacks.
My main irritation is that if you're doing multiple small quests from a city, you'll run through several music pieces quickly every time you get and complete a quest.
Your irritation is probably caused by the songs being memorable. Even if you're hearing a song less than in say Skyrim, you're noticing it every time instead of your ears doing the equivalent of eyes glazing over. So to your mind it's repetitive, not because the music super repetitive, but because you notice it every time it plays.

Personally, if I'm just doing scavenger hunts or exploring, I just pop on a playlist from my preferred music streaming service(Google play). Genociding nekkers and drowners to David Bowie, Edm, metal, even Jazz is just as fun.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Yeah the music is awesome but you hear it waaay too much.

You hear the Battle "Daaa dai dee da da die deee da daa" song and the skellige theme like thousands of times.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The incomprehensible bleating in the music and even the UI is so goddamn annoying.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

Fumblemouse posted:

I use http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/642/ to tweak XP rate to make sure I'm always at or near level for sidequests (Not a big fan of replays, so I like to get as much out of a single runthrough as I can). Once you've got the script working, you can tweak the values for quest and monster XP - though you could just as easily just set it to a lower percentage and forget about it. The modder has kept it working with updates consistently. Nest and gwent XP seems unaffected, but you won't be leveling off that.

Thanks, that's just what I was looking for!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fumblemouse posted:

Yeah, I've done unmodded playthroughs on regular and NG+ deathmarch and really this is a good idea if you're not keen on doing a 100+ hour playthrough twice or more.

The leveling/experience/skill and to a lesser extent inventory/crafting systems are major negatives for me, where most of the rest of the game is great. I really wouldn't have minded if there wasn't a leveling system at all and instead you got ability points to slot into skills (without any of the dumb slot limits) instead of levels. You're Geralt, you're pretty much the best, most experienced, and (in)famous Witcher in existence. I'd much rather have started out as an "endgame" Geralt and only received minor upgrades and playstyle tweaks with quest completion. That's one reason I really enjoyed NG+, you start with your blinged out endgame gear and completely filled out skills which seems appropriate because you're the motherfuckin White Wolf (Butcher of Blaviken) but it's still challenging (at least until midgame).

Lowering experience and leveling rate is great, because it doesn't mean all that much in reality and is a bad goal. There are very few "significant" rewards for side quests. You get some cash, which is easy to earn, and maybe a piece of Relic gear which is completely unremarkable and probably worthless compared to what you can craft. Point is, it's best to do quests that are fun and interesting storytelling and stop giving a gently caress about experience or loot.

There's just so much fantastic side-questing it isn't a bad idea to slow down XP gain so you feel like you're hitting most/all of it. You'll outlevel many of your quests especially if you stick to the main quest chain, which I feel discourages you from fully exploring those lower-level areas. Even though you're not really receiving much difference in reward from doing an on-level or grayed-out (trivial, underleveled) quest.

For me, what drove the game is not the combat, it's alright to good but I can understand where you could dislike it. The well-crafted quests which often reverse expectations or subvert standard RPG tropes while being amazingly well-voiced and animated are what kept me hooked.

Sure, the game is working with a bunch of established characters from a series of novels and two previous games, and Geralt rarely gets more than 2 (maybe 3) options for critical decisions. But that's all this game needs, it's not trying to play blank-slate. The character interactions are so believable and realistic it doesn't really matter you're playing one fairly well-defined Witcher.

Not like your decisions would matter anyway. Lol you were confident you made the right decision? Everything is terrible.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Basically what I'm saying is Witcher 3 is gonna be a genre-defining game in the same vein of Baldur's Gate 2.

It certainly has its flaws, but holy gently caress is it setting new expectations for what an "open-world RPG" should be.

It manages to be both very realistic and gritty and absolutely immense. One hundred hours is not hyperbole, unless you're intentionally rushing through you'll be pretty close to that before you finish. It's loving huge and the quality is pretty consistent.

Most RPGs of this scope sort of assume you can't have deep character interactions and plot and need to fill the world with generic fetch/grind quests. It's a large world, so the quality has to diluted, right?

loving WRONG. You can be both huge in scope and deep in actual role-playing interaction.

For me, "open world RPG" is very literally what Wild Hunt does best. It's an immense open world with fantastic role-playing.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Out of the "gritty, gravely Male Protagonist" that games have, like Batman, Snake, Marcus Fenix, etc, Geralt tends to be the most engaging as well. Yeah I guess you as the player develop most of his sensibilities and characteristics, but the even in that respect Geralt feels really fleshed-out and alive. even with the player making most of the decisions, Geralt seems to have some personality beyond "kill enemies, growl a lot." so yeah I agree with Witcher 3 being a pillar of the genre from here on. i'm certainly having a blast with it. even the somewhat samey Witcher Contracts have writing that makes them feel unique.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think they struck a good balance between giving Geralt his own established personality and letting you do what you want with it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, Geralt resembles the typical gruff hero type enough that there were a few early criticisms of the character that jumped the gun based on first impressions, but he's got a lot more personality than even he's comfortable admitting.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.
I'm powering through Witcher 1 and 2 before diving into Wild Hunt, and there's a question burning into my mind. In the books, Geralt is a firm unbeliever in Destiny, until poo poo Happens and he changes his mind.

In the first game, perhaps due to his amnesia, you can choose your stance regarding the influence of Destiny. Can you still do that in the third game, or, since he's got his memory back, is he pretty much a believer?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nycticeius posted:

I'm powering through Witcher 1 and 2 before diving into Wild Hunt, and there's a question burning into my mind. In the books, Geralt is a firm unbeliever in Destiny, until poo poo Happens and he changes his mind.

In the first game, perhaps due to his amnesia, you can choose your stance regarding the influence of Destiny. Can you still do that in the third game, or, since he's got his memory back, is he pretty much a believer?

I don't think Destiny specifically comes up in The Witcher 3 but there is a whole quest about the concept of fate and destiny (as in, the real life terms) and you can swing his opinion in either direction, if that counts.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I don't think Destiny specifically comes up in The Witcher 3 but there is a whole quest about the concept of fate and destiny (as in, the real life terms) and you can swing his opinion in either direction, if that counts.

I'll take it!

gently caress, I'm dying to start the third game, but since I never finished the previous ones, I feel I want to get the full experience. I'm finishing up Chapter IV of the first one, so not much left. But it gets hard sometimes.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

Basically what I'm saying is Witcher 3 is gonna be a genre-defining game in the same vein of Baldur's Gate 2.

It certainly has its flaws, but holy gently caress is it setting new expectations for what an "open-world RPG" should be.

It manages to be both very realistic and gritty and absolutely immense. One hundred hours is not hyperbole, unless you're intentionally rushing through you'll be pretty close to that before you finish. It's loving huge and the quality is pretty consistent.

Most RPGs of this scope sort of assume you can't have deep character interactions and plot and need to fill the world with generic fetch/grind quests. It's a large world, so the quality has to diluted, right?

loving WRONG. You can be both huge in scope and deep in actual role-playing interaction.

For me, "open world RPG" is very literally what Wild Hunt does best. It's an immense open world with fantastic role-playing.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

I love this game as much as anyone in this thread, but I'm in Novigrad on my first play through, and unless the main quest picks up again very soon, the story i'm experiencing now is in no way consistent in quality with the early parts of Velen (Bloody Baron/Crones)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think he means the general quality of all the content, sidequests included. And Novigrad has a lot of fantastic sidequests, even if you don't realize they're a big deal when you start them.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Nycticeius posted:

Don't sweat about the differences between the books and the games too much. The first game is especially guilty of copying whole dialogue sections straight from the books and giving them to different characters despite the game supposedly taking place after the novels. Basically in the first Witcher game CDPR was still learning, gluing stories together, being influenced by a variety of sources and taking some shortcuts in the process so a lot of stuff is not really constistent or outright contradictory to what the novels made you believe.

The games do get better and better in that regard with every sequel though and manage to build their own world but the first game was still rough.

Interestingly The Witcher 3 has A LOT influences from Sapkowski's other novels - the Hussite Trilogy. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Witcher universe but everything you see in the game that has folk flavor, beliefs, inquisition - basically medieval realism in it feels like it comes from that series. Even the Crones are taken from there. Letho that you will meet in Witcher 2 and 3 really resembles one of the main characters too.

The Hussite Trilogy is harder to get into as even in Polish it requires a way more focused reader and many people who loved Witcher give up on it. It's more in the vein of Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose" and fantasy fans who play the games just never read it.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 22, 2016

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Novigrad is gang politics and the like, in stark contrast to Peasant Misery Simulator so you just have to get used to that with perhaps new perspective. Skellige's main plot starts a fairly consistent tone.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

Palpek posted:

Don't sweat about the differences between the books and the games too much. The first game is especially guilty of copying whole dialogue sections straight from the books and giving them to different characters despite the game supposedly taking place after the novels. Basically in the first Witcher game CDPR was still learning, gluing stories together, being influenced by a variety of sources and taking some shortcuts in the process so a lot of stuff is not really constistent or outright contradictory to what the novels made you believe.

Oh, I'm not "worried", just wondering how far the consistency went. Won't be aiming to sperg about it either, just thought it'd be nice for the game to acknowledge these details. And I do get what you're saying, I'm on a Witcher binge as of late, and it's quite a peculiar experience reading the novels at the same time I'm playing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

GuyUpNorth posted:

Novigrad is gang politics and the like, in stark contrast to Peasant Misery Simulator so you just have to get used to that with perhaps new perspective. Skellige's main plot starts a fairly consistent tone.

Yeah, I dunno. I thought Novigrad was similar in quality to Velen.