Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
If we're talking demographics I picture the perfect Star Citizen Investor as an overweight furry with generalized anxiety and/or depression who makes a healthy income in IT middle management and is in the midst of a mid-life crisis.

That's not a professional threat assessment, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Kavak posted:

There are two questions I still can't find answers for:

1. Where the gently caress did all these people come from? How did they manage to hold on to tens of thousands of dollars of cash if they were willing to blow all of it on the vision of a man who quit the video game industry almost a decade prior after nearly driving his last project into the loving ground? What are their jobs? Tech yuppie slime? Is the collapse of this game going to cause a spike of jumpers from the Golden Gate Bridge? Are the big spenders just a visible minority and it's really a sea of <$100 backers? Or has the way this has been dragged out caused contributors to keep throwing money at it like morons?

There was a post a few pages back where a backer talked about how much he liked to watch machines in real life do mundane automated labor. He went on to say he hoped there would be NPC mining ships he could fly up to, watch them mine an asteroid, and then follow them back to drop off their cargo. He went even further to say he wanted to be able to film this activity and upload it to an in-game news station. Which implies that he firmly believes that at some point, a real life human would pay to log into a game and watch in-game monitor footage of an NPC mining a rock. I believe this should answer most of your questions.

Kavak posted:

2. Is it Chris Roberts, "The man who made Wing Commander"?
Is it the idea that they're "sticking it to the big studios and making the BDSSE"?
Are so many people that goddamn desperate to pretend they live in space?

Sadly yes, yes, and very sadly yes

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Kavak posted:

Are the big spenders just a visible minority and it's really a sea of <$100 backers?

Absolutely this. CIG refuse to tell us how many actual backers there are so it's hard to tell, but individuals have spent over $30,000 on this have distorted the total per backer enormously.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kavak posted:

1. Where the gently caress did all these people come from? How did they manage to hold on to tens of thousands of dollars of cash if they were willing to blow all of it on the vision of a man who quit the video game industry almost a decade prior after nearly driving his last project into the loving ground? What are their jobs? Tech yuppie slime? Is the collapse of this game going to cause a spike of jumpers from the Golden Gate Bridge? Are the big spenders just a visible minority and it's really a sea of <$100 backers? Or has the way this has been dragged out caused contributors to keep throwing money at it like morons?

2. Why Star Citizen? What is so compelling about a universe this lackluster that drew so loving many people and so much money to it? Even if it promises the ability to do goddamn anything in it, like Star Wars Galaxies if it had been run by a competent studio, at the end of the day your fantasy life is in a generic "gritty" space opera universe with lame aliens and few if any mysteries to explore or discover. The way people treat this thing, you'd think Cloud Industry Games was working on a functioning holodeck! Is it Chris Roberts, "The man who made Wing Commander"? Is it the idea that they're "sticking it to the big studios and making the BDSSE"? Are so many people that goddamn desperate to pretend they live in space?

You don't have to be smart to be wealthy. I get the feeling that a lot of these backers are people who haven't really played many video games since they were young and are trying to re-live their youth by playing a game they grew up with only (conceivably) modernized and better in every way. Also, CIG has been generic enough in their descriptions that the backers have collectively filled in the cracks with their individual ideas of what a perfect space game will be. One backer is imagining a fleet of peers mining ore and returning to a spacedock to manually load and unload cargo (with super interesting mini games) while another is imagining flying around the galaxy with a pirate ship, boarding ships, and holding people for ransom (and/or raping them). Another one is super excited over having advanced space pets and wants to breed them on their intergalactic zoo ship while another imagines flying around in a space ambulance rescuing people and performing surgery mini games on them to keep them alive while they rush to a space station. Since there is no real plan or design documents to speak of, all of these individuals are still deluding themselves enough to think that the vision that they have of Star Citizen in their head is the one that they will actually get. CIG actively feeds into this by continuing to promise ridiculous things (hunting on planets?)

Basically nostalgia, poor impulse control, and rose-colored putting the old WC games on a pedestal coupled with vague promises of the ultimate game that will do everything you've ever wanted to do in a video game.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Kavak posted:

2. Why Star Citizen? What is so compelling about a universe this lackluster that drew so loving many people and so much money to it? Even if it promises the ability to do goddamn anything in it, like Star Wars Galaxies if it had been run by a competent studio, at the end of the day your fantasy life is in a generic "gritty" space opera universe with lame aliens and few if any mysteries to explore or discover. The way people treat this thing, you'd think Cloud Industry Games was working on a functioning holodeck! Is it Chris Roberts, "The man who made Wing Commander"? Is it the idea that they're "sticking it to the big studios and making the BDSSE"? Are so many people that goddamn desperate to pretend they live in space?

Well, SC has shown that you dont need to be smart to make a lot of money.
As the old saying goes, they are easily parted.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Telemicus posted:

Space is bigger
It's bigger
Than Ben, and you’re in my ship
The reddits that I will go to
The jpegs in your eyes
Oh no, I've paid too much
I sent them booze

That's him in the Connie
That's him in the wheelchair
Losing his immersion
Trying to keep up with you
And I don't know if I can do it
Oh no I've paid too much
I haven't paid enough

I thought that I heard you paaarping
I thought that I saw you post
I think I thought I saw you buy

Every package
Of every funding sale
I'm choosing my collection
Trying to keep an eye on Chris
Like a hurt lost and blinded fool
Oh no, I've said too much
I got banned

Consider this
The gif of the century
Consider this
The slip that brought me
To Derek’s new blog post
What if all these sperging whales
Come flailing around
In just two weeks

I thought that I heard you shave
I think I thought I saw her act

But that was just a dream
That was just a dream

That's me in the Idris
That's me in the CryMod
Losing my immersion
Trying to hide from my wife
And I don't know if I can do it
Oh no I've doxxed too much
I haven't shaved enough

I thought that I heard you crash
I think I thought I saw you launch

But that was just a dream, try, cry, why, try
That was just a dream, just a dream, just a dream
Dream

:golfclap:

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Well, SC has shown that you dont need to be smart to make a lot of money.
As the old saying goes, they are easily parted.

No it doesn't. It says an idiot and his money are easily parted.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

kordansk posted:

No it doesn't. It says an idiot and his money are easily parted.

People not needing to be smart (fools) - making a lot of money (parting with it by jpg purchases)

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
My endgame bet is that SQ42 will come out, and then CRoberts will find an excuse to bail. Maybe it's a relaunched film company, maybe it's a new game project on the back of his "glorious success", maybe it's to support his wife's new acting career, whatever. That's his exit window.

He'll make a big tearful public announcement and walk into the sunset. The managers he appointed will struggle on for a few months as the whales rage and begin to walk away, then CIG itself will quietly sink without trace.

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

trucutru posted:

... ship controls, which interact with the PID controller, that gives feedback to the avionics computer that controls the engines/ailerons/etc which are then used in the physics simulation to control your ship.

Are they still doing this? I remember a lot of talk about it years ago, but I haven't seen any lately. One reason ships were being released at such a glacial pace was supposedly because it took time to hook up every engine right to get the right thrust for rotations and acceleration. Surely at some point you realise that you know what you want the rotation to be, so just set it to that instead of going in such roundabout ways. Who's going to notice?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

EightAce posted:

The fact that Chris could have done what he set out to do but has let greed blind him , the fact that ...lets face it ...mentally challenged people are being sold dreams for vast amounts of money to fund a Hollywood lifestyle for two people is not something I am just going sit and laugh at although I will do that as well . If there is solid info that i am aware of I will post it. I am not Derek smart and I don't have vast resources to throw at this , also my interest is nothing like as all consuming as some BUT if I know something and I can post it without causing problems for the sources then I will.

If you're going to keep doing this, personally I don't mind if you occasionally make stuff up that's funny and mix that in with the solid information. There are several good reasons to do this, it will drive Citizen's crazier, this is a comedy site, sorting the made-up rumours from the true ones has a long history in these threads but it's fun and it's also going to help to further obscure your sources as hardcore Citizens will be more likely to dismiss you.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
And now for something completely different...

I'm writing this on behalf of a mythical "moderate backer", he didn't ask me to but after speaking with him in the last couple of days I feel like it might be worth a shot especially because he has been trolling this thread pretty hilariously during the last week, which is how we ended up talking.

The Good: he is heavily displeased with the way CIG handles poo poo, the moderators in the RSI forums and reddit and the Star Citizen community in general which he agrees are complete nutters. He claims to have tried to speak against the current but realized that if he kept up he was going to be ostracized and lumped in with the goons so he has been keeping his doubts and complaints to himself. He has also revealed to be a pretty competent troll and if it wasn't for the fact that we're on different sides of the trenches I get the feeling he would fit right in.

The Bad: although he is not as deluded as the rest and is fully aware that something is rotten in the state of Denmark he is still largely a believer but the fact that he has no one to talk to probably doesn't help in that department.

The Ugly: he loathes Derek Smart and at this point I think that plays as much a part in his current stance as does his love of The Vision.

He keeps up with the thread more or less but the main reason he hasn't joined SA yet is that he gets the feeling that our moderation is the same as reddit but in reverse, that he would get "the Seraph treatment" or that we would chase him away just because he isn't 100% making GBS threads on CIG and still wishes the project to succeed. He didn't ask me to do this but since some of you once in a while talk about being willing to pay for some redditor or other to join I thought he'd be a great candidate. I'd pay for it myself but I'm just a poor war orphan slaving away in a coltan mine, if any of you deep pocket whales is willing to stretch a helping hand to a proto-goon speak up and I'll put you in touch.

On the other hand maybe he's an even bigger troll than I give him credit for and he just managed to subliminary sweet talk me into this and once he joins he'll make me look like a fool. :shrug:

e: this is a different person from that "appeal to goons" guy I posted a couple of weeks ago

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 22, 2016

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

I'm writing this on behalf of a mythical "moderate backer", he didn't ask me to but after speaking with him in the last couple of days I feel like it might be worth a shot especially because he has been trolling this thread pretty hilariously during the last week, which is how we ended up talking.

The Good: he is heavily displeased with the way CIG handles poo poo, the moderators in the RSI forums and reddit and the Star Citizen community in general which he agrees are complete nutters. He claims to have tried to speak against the current but realized that if he kept up he was going to be ostracized and lumped in with the goons so he has been keeping his doubts and complaints to himself. He has also revealed to be a pretty competent troll and if it wasn't for the fact that we're on different sides of the trenches I get the feeling he would fit right in.

The Bad: although he is not as deluded as the rest and is fully aware that something is rotten in the state of Denmark he is still largely a believer but the fact that he has no one to talk to probably doesn't help in that department.

The Ugly: he loathes Derek Smart and at this point I think that plays as much a part in his current stance as does his love of The Vision.

He keeps up with the thread more or less but the main reason he hasn't joined SA yet is that he gets the feeling that our moderation is the same as reddit but in reverse, that he would get "the Seraph treatment" or that we would chase him away just because he isn't 100% making GBS threads on CIG and still wishes the project to succeed. He didn't ask me to do this but since some of you once in a while talk about being willing to pay for some redditor or other to join I thought he'd be a great candidate. I'd pay for it myself but I'm just a poor war orphan slaving away in a coltan mine, if any of you deep pocket whales is willing to stretch a helping hand to a proto-goon speak up and I'll put you in touch.

On the other hand maybe he's an even bigger troll than I give him credit for and he just managed to subliminary sweet talk me into this and once he joins he'll make me look like a fool. :shrug:

e: this is a different person from that "appeal to goons" guy I posted a couple of weeks ago

But Matilda already has an account, no?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

What was the troll?

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
I don't think anyone poking fun at the project actually wants it to fail, I think its more an overall concern that has made a lot of us come together to question all of the promises of literally every feature ever, most of which don't make any sense or sound awful like their heavy handed economy controlling plans or their database smegma references on reddit, then raising as much money as they have selling ridiculously priced bullshit that won't exist until 2020, seeing literal ships take 8 months to more than 2 years to make and realizing its just a spaceship, realizing their actual technical limitations of what they're doing and also promising at the same time, offering no refunds, meanwhile management staff creates imdb moviestar resume padding clips in the office, buys lamps that cost $900, chairs that cost $3,500, watching the ceo play his own game is embarassing, and a huge list of other things that has made everyone question what the hell the end result is going to be, combined with a group of management people who have never met a deadline and always gone over budget in every game they've been involved in.

redwalrus fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 22, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MeLKoR posted:

:rip: lolish, octopode and other people who used to post about their delusions

redwalrus posted:

I don't think anyone poking fun at the project actually wants it to fail, I think its more a concern that got everyones hopes up with promising literally every feature ever, raising as much money as it has selling ridiculously priced bullshit that won't exist until 2020, meanwhile staff creates imdb moviestar resume padding clips in the office, buys lamps that cost $900, chairs that cost $3,500, watching the ceo play his own game is embarassing, and a huge list of other things that has made everyone question what the hell the end result is going to be, combined with a group of management people who have never met a deadline and always gone over budget, who knows.

i want it to fail

and ben to die from a heart attack :twisted:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
That's not that strange. I feel the same way for the most part. I want the game to come out and to be good. I like the art direction and the sound work. The Alpha actually is kind of fun with a friend or two to fly with, plus shooting down people trying to land on planets is hysterical.

But I 100% cannot stand CIG, their youtube poo poo, their management and their complete lack of adult business decisions are all sickening and wholly disgusting. The fact that it's a 100 million dollar project in other people's money no less,with so much noticeable nepotism.

Also I just can't seem to care about Elite for more than 15 minutes at a time. It's so technically proficient with zero sense of passion, I guess. It's the prog rock of space sims. I'm in awe of the sheer skill and knowledge it took to create, but it's just impossible to give a poo poo about it.

I'd willingly and happily just settle for GTAV:Online in Space at this point

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I do want Star Citizen to fail and destroy gaming industry. Only that way I'll be able to catch up with all the good games that were made in the past ten years.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

I'll do it. PM me the details. I'm officially a whale for content in this thread.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

EightAce posted:

CIG has more money than everyone thinks and will definitely see out 2016. SQ42 will not come out in its promised form but you will be getting between 3 - 9 missions that are embarrassingly basic. The real showpiece will be the shockingly bad cut scene nonsense showing shiny A lister's reading Chris appalling script .
There is some sort of rally being held by the Fuehrer in LA next week and the final plans will be put into place as to how they will drip feed the news that most of what has been promised is now to be dropped or pushed back indefinitely. Those not in the Cult will have seen this happening these past couple of weeks as I said it would. The odd Whale will kick off and that will be that .
EightAce:

Very provocative and much appreciated perspectives. I had several questions but your second, longer reply suggests what your answers might've been. I will say I'd find it a relief if CIG's cash position isn't as dire as the worst case predictions, if only because that would allow more time for current beleaguered developers and artists at CIG to make their ways to the lifeboats.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

MeLKoR posted:

as far as the ugly goes, it's ok to dislike or not care about Derek Smart. As long as he keeps the laughs coming he's fine but goons don't have a blood pact with him and there aren't even many who play or have any interest in his games.

And it would be good to have someone ITT who doesn't hate CIG upfront and has some knowledge of the community/whales.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It's not Matilda but I'm not going to give away his name or anything that could be used to figure out who he is. If anyone takes this up I'll tell him to create a reddit alt so you can speak to him personally and work it out.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

Seraph was hounded from this thread for being a literal paedophile apologist and all round idiot.

If this guy can discuss the good and the bad of CIG without feeling personally attacked then he'll do great here. You should link him to Loish's posts (or what ever that guy's name was) - he was a good poster who supported Star Citizen and we appreciated his contributions to the thread. Not sure where the guy's gone now but it'd be nice to have that perspective back again.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

e: ^^^ This guy would be a good candidate for an account if anyone is feeling generous

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 22, 2016

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

I'm always up for a bit of hope, but one part of your message gives me pause...

The loathing of Derek Smart is a bit off to me. Not liking the guy is understandable, but to put that sort of emotional weight into an opinion of a guy who all he knows about is that he tends to be a blowhard. Comparing that to the absolutely reprehensible actions of certain CIG staff, actions that truly and honestly hurt people, it seems like a knee-jerk political reaction rather than a measured assessment of threat. (There are some German auditors who can help him with that.)

Otherwise I'm all for chit-chat with some positive spin.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Iglocska posted:

Come on, this looks fantastic:

The ships are distinct and several of the ships from the same manufacturer have a similar design style (Retaliator and the Vanguard for example).

The ships are distinct and have similar design? I think you need a reminder.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

EightAce posted:

After about a year in Chris was offered ludicrous amounts of money by at least two global companies (We are talking $150 mill plus) Croberts turned them down . There isn't anyone knocking on the door any more. Any compnay would do a risk assessment and an Audit before taking on this cluster gently caress and I'm guessing they would run a mile based on those findings.
Sandi said she asked Chris point-blank after Faceook bought Oculus for $2 billion if he would sell CIG for $2 billion. He said "No." And I really believe he meant it.

The irony was that Sandi thought $2 billion was a ludicrous price to pay for an unproven company with no real consumer product.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

redwalrus posted:

The ships are distinct and have similar design? I think you need a reminder.

It's been said before but this is actually one of the few GOOD design decisions they've made. Reusing assets makes the process faster, cheaper and keeps the design continuity you'd expect, since it's the same company making both shits in lore.

My Infiniti has a ton of Nissan 370Z parts in it, my old Chevelle was a mishmash of GTO, Malibu and Nova parts. It's just part of making good business decisions in the design/engineering process

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Even if it gets made it will count as a fail, to me.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

G0RF posted:

Sandi said she asked Chris point-blank after Faceook bought Oculus for $2 billion if he would sell CIG for $2 billion. He said "No." And I really believe he meant it.

The irony was that Sandi thought $2 billion was a ludicrous price to pay for an unproven company with no real consumer product.

That's a great indication of the outright stupidity that pride creates. Imagine for a moment that Chris was actually offered $2 billion (work with me here). He could then independently create an even better game without even relying on backer funds, working with his own cash, with money left over to be a multimillionaire for life and be able to do all sorts of cool poo poo forever.

Of course in its current stage I estimate the value of the Star Citizen IP at roughly -106 million USD.

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Moogle posted:

If we're talking demographics I picture the perfect Star Citizen Investor as an overweight furry with generalized anxiety and/or depression who makes a healthy income in IT middle management and is in the midst of a mid-life crisis.

Hey man, why you doxxxxx me? Not cool.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fuctifino posted:

e: ^^^ This guy would be a good candidate for an account if anyone is feeling generous

Tell this guy he's welcome.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I think CIG had better announce another sale

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

hanales posted:

I'll do it. PM me the details. I'm officially a whale for content in this thread.

Awesome, I sent him a message instructing him to create a reddit alt so you can speak with each other. I don't have platinum so please PM me on reddit /u/sower_of_discord or I'll just post his alt contact info in the thread once he replies to me. (I don't know his timezone, that might take a while)

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

EightAce posted:

CIG has more money than everyone thinks and will definitely see out 2016. SQ42 will not come out in its promised form but you will be getting between 3 - 9 missions that are embarrassingly basic. The real showpiece will be the shockingly bad cut scene nonsense showing shiny A lister's reading Chris appalling script .

I hope they cram into it all 10 hours of cut-scenes, unskippable of course, and the average mission is 20 minutes long.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Moogle posted:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's been said before but this is actually one of the few GOOD design decisions they've made. Reusing assets makes the process faster, cheaper and keeps the design continuity you'd expect, since it's the same company making both shits in lore.

My Infiniti has a ton of Nissan 370Z parts in it, my old Chevelle was a mishmash of GTO, Malibu and Nova parts. It's just part of making good business decisions in the design/engineering process

Yeah I agree with this part. From an actual manufacturing perspective this is done all the time and parts commonality within a company is going to be a thing always and probably helps at least lead to an aesthetic that gives each company it's own look and feel in the end if they would develop it that way.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm always up for a bit of hope, but one part of your message gives me pause...

The loathing of Derek Smart is a bit off to me. Not liking the guy is understandable, but to put that sort of emotional weight into an opinion of a guy who all he knows about is that he tends to be a blowhard. Comparing that to the absolutely reprehensible actions of certain CIG staff, actions that truly and honestly hurt people, it seems like a knee-jerk political reaction rather than a measured assessment of threat. (There are some German auditors who can help him with that.)

Otherwise I'm all for chit-chat with some positive spin.

Let's be fair, I "like" DSmart but he is an enormous rear end in a top hat and it's not like it bothers him people think that. He goes out of his way to apear a complete bastard at times. If all you have been getting for months is the coolaid hating DS will come naturally.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Be warned melkors friend, Loiosh was the last reasonable cig supporter itt and his last act was trying to get a refund, which is highly unlikely to happen because cig are full of poo poo.

Loiosh you never post or pm anymore!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Tokamak posted:

Work is slowly getting done, but as it is folded back into the game, new problems arise. Many of these problems are due to how the engine is designed (hard coded 'use' icon, incompatible character animation system, FPS netcode etc.) and require work around's that are essentially rewrites of the engine.

Remember back when Area Commander was perpetually two weeks away? CIG said they were taking their time but it wasn't effort wasted because they had rewritten CryEngine's netcode and would use that for the PU.

Someone must've misplaced the floppy disk or something.

• Locked thread