Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Psion posted:

pretty easy actually. Shep delivers some solid as hell verbal beatdowns if you go that route, and it pays off in ME3 better in my opinion.
Unless the ME3 payoff is a verbal beatdown in the form of a rap battle that ends with Shepard dropping the mic on her foot it can't be worth missing out on some punching. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
The punch-off in ME3 is actually a QTE and if you gently caress up Shep is the one who gets punched.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Alright it's worth pointing out that was actually some fine combat especially the sniper rifling.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I never pick the two options to treat that dick Admiral with respect, it's just too funny to not piss him off, since he is a dick, as mentioned.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

SubponticatePoster posted:

Also squad AI goes haywire and everyone crawls up Shep's rear end.

They were just trying to help Shep warm up. :3:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This video once again reminds me tha Mark Meer does a better job of switching between being renegade or paragon than Jennifer Hale.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Poil posted:

edit
Oh god, the combat dialog. I had completely suppressed that. I will destroy you! I will destroy you! Go go go! I will destroy you! Enemies everywhere! I will destroy you! You must die! Go go go!

This is why the Geth are the best opponents, they don't talk in fights.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Torrannor posted:

This video once again reminds me tha Mark Meer does a better job of switching between being renegade or paragon than Jennifer Hale.

ViolentFemmeShep is best Shep. :colbert:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hard counter posted:

Alright it's worth pointing out that was actually some fine combat especially the sniper rifling.
Once I get enough points in to stop the sway I'll treat you to some 300yd headshots :zaeed:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Torrannor posted:

I always felt like Meer kind of flubbed it more often for serious lines but nailed it with the comedy, and vice versa for Hale.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

I always felt like Meer kind of flubbed it more often for serious lines but nailed it with the comedy, and vice versa for Hale.

That's probably because Meer's normal career is improv comedy while Hale is a career voice actor.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Once I get enough points in to stop the sway I'll treat you to some 300yd headshots :zaeed:

those MP hours are showing, this could even be a ~*~skilled~*~ playthrough

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Poil posted:

Oh god, the combat dialog. I had completely suppressed that. I will destroy you! I will destroy you! Go go go! I will destroy you! Enemies everywhere! I will destroy you! You must die! Go go go!

You know, it's funny that even though it makes sense that they are saying "enemies everywhere" when the males say it it sounds more like they are saying "enemy is everywhere"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Aces High posted:

You know, it's funny that even though it makes sense that they are saying "enemies everywhere" when the males say it it sounds more like they are saying "enemy is everywhere"
Yeah, I'm just guessing that was what they say. It's kinda dumb since Shepard and party members will usually be pretty close together and not spread out everywhere.

divedivedive
Jun 6, 2011
Holy crap, I never really used the shotgun in any of the Mass Effect games. Clearly I made a mistake.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hard counter posted:

those MP hours are showing, this could even be a ~*~skilled~*~ playthrough
What's really fun is that outside of a certain range you can shoot stuff and it doesn't aggro so they'll sit immobile and you can plonk away. Skilled, indeed! :v:

divedivedive posted:

Holy crap, I never really used the shotgun in any of the Mass Effect games. Clearly I made a mistake.
In 1 they are straight up loving broken. Less so in the later games but the Geth Plasma Shotgun remains strong and the Reegar is its own brand of :stonk:

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Psion posted:

pretty easy actually. Shep delivers some solid as hell verbal beatdowns if you go that route, and it pays off in ME3 better in my opinion.

Now, punching random scientist on Eden Prime, headbutting krogan, pushing mercs out of windows, yeah all of that. I just never felt the urge to be like "hey you're asking me questions I don't like nrghfghfhg i'll just punch you" when "hey you're asking lovely loaded questions, I'm gonna turn that around and beat you at your own game" was available. Far more opportunities to feel smug about the latter.

It's the age-old question of immediate satisfaction versus delayed satisfaction.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah those shotguns are a bit of a head-shaker, you haven't even gone after Benezia and you're one-shotting EVERYTHING. Mein gott.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Wait until I can equip 2 scram rails :supaburn:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Aces High posted:

They always made me chuckle. Not just because of this but because my small 3 man squad was causing them to panic like that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

What's really fun is that outside of a certain range you can shoot stuff and it doesn't aggro so they'll sit immobile and you can plonk away. Skilled, indeed! :v:

In 1 they are straight up loving broken. Less so in the later games but the Geth Plasma Shotgun remains strong and the Reegar is its own brand of :stonk:

To be fair in me1 every gun is straight up broken.
Assault rifles ability lets you mow down everything in sight, super accurate, with almost no overheat, at just about any range
shotguns have ridiculous damage and can easily be modded to be super accurate and come with a skill that fires a perfect accuracy rocket for anything out of effective range
Sniper rifles will one shot anything but the toughest of enemies at pretty much any point in the game, regardless of where you hit them.
Pistols fire incredibly quickly and are useful at all ranges.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
My standard end game gun is a sniper rifle with no skill in it with the explosive rounds and the knockback rounds. Because dumbfireing it into the ground is the GREATEST THING in me1. Used the shotgun instead the time I played infiltrator.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

They really trail off in quality in 3 since weight becomes a factor and the GPS and Reegar are both super heavy.

At least until you get the Disciple.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Wait, so did you peace out from Noveria before Peak 15 for Bring Down the Sky and the sidequests? My RPG-specific OCD compelled me to finish a planet once I landed on it.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

Wait, so did you peace out from Noveria before Peak 15 for Bring Down the Sky and the sidequests? My RPG-specific OCD compelled me to finish a planet once I landed on it.

Yeah, she specifically went there to give herself max paragon/renegade.

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy

Aces High posted:

Mass Effect 1 enemies theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDNMYwK69jM

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yes but fret not, we've headed back for our next update.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Regalingualius posted:

I've felt for a while now that by ME3, Meer is overall better than Hale. He's definitely a lot flatter in ME1, though.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I think I did 4-5 100% playthroughs of this game, including an insanity run, and those later playthroughs involved rather more grit and determination than fun and enjoyment. So I must say that being able to revisit ME1 as a whistle stop tour of the highlights is oddly therapeutic. So thanks SubponticatePoster!

It's also been interesting seeing how much I've ingrained this game in my memory where sometimes I'll be doing something else while listening and I can often visualise exactly what is happening. Although to be fair if I visualised a Mine, Bunker, Warehouse or Rocky Planet I'd never be far off.

Still my favourite in the trilogy though.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

yeah doing two 100% playthroughs on Insanity (even dumber yet is that I did both on fresh Shepards, no level 55 :gonk:) has made me realise that Casual is the way to go for ME1, that way you don't have to put up with as much bullshit when it comes to combat.

Is there anyone that can actually explain why if you shoot a Krogan or a Geth Destroyer just right they charge at you at the speed of light and won't leave you alone until either of you are dead?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Aces High posted:

Is there anyone that can actually explain why if you shoot a Krogan or a Geth Destroyer just right they charge at you at the speed of light and won't leave you alone until either of you are dead?

Krogan: THREAT! FIGHT! KILL! BLOODRAGE!

Geth: IF BeingShotAt = TRUE, then BeingShotAt.Source = Threat
If Threat = Active, then HURT//MAIM//KILL, else run PonderUniverse.process
(plus, if they die, they are sent to the big hard drive in the sky to be reuploaded to a new body)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Aces High posted:

So you can cast Lift and watch them fly over you and off into the sunset.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
The snarky commentary is really selling this LP. Digging it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Aces High posted:

yeah doing two 100% playthroughs on Insanity (even dumber yet is that I did both on fresh Shepards, no level 55 :gonk:) has made me realise that Casual is the way to go for ME1, that way you don't have to put up with as much bullshit when it comes to combat.

To be fair, this is a typical shotgun shepard response to getting shot too. I think it's just fun to run at things with a shotgun.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Please tell me that you'll be playing all three games, and that your ME3 thread title will be "300,000 Batarians died to bring us this LP."

It's only right.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
That's the plan. And that's a good thread title, I will keep it in mind.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Heh, Buttarians.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Maybe we'll see a Batarian squadmate in Andromeda finally. We had to go to another galaxy to give them a shot. :smug:

Almost completely unrelatedly, hearing that ME4 will take place "a long time" after the O.G. trilogy makes me hope it's 500+ years afterwards so we can meet older versions of Liara or other asari who might vaguely reference past events. The ME4 PC might not be in on their references but I'd appreciate it just as some continuity that it's happening in the same universe, ultimately. Of course a main character like Liara just appearing might not track well if she died in someone's campaign and having people import saves from another console generation is unrealistic even if Bioware can pull it off on the technical side. Plenty of ME players probably have put their 360's and PS3's in the trash already.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The only time Liara can die in the entire trilogy is at the very end of ME3 if you start the finale sequence with an abysmal War Score*, right? So, unless you really screwed up, it's pretty likely that she'd survive to the end.

*discounting the Reject ending, for obvious reasons. :v:

...Actually, hell, I kind of wonder what the reaction would be if they decided to make Reject the 'canon' ending when it comes time for ME4? Say, it's the remnants of humanity trying to build themselves a new life in a galaxy that the Reapers (hopefully) can't follow them to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Hm, now that you've got me thinking of the endings and how they can drastically change things about the Reapers. The inclusion/exclusion of those details would still be notable either way even millenia afterwards. I wonder how they'll work out any potential reverse-engineering of Reaper tech (or hell, how our choices affected the mass relays themselves and the Milky Way societies that depend on it) without transferred save data. The Reaper tech idea is making me wonder what our hero ship for ME4 will look like or how it'll work. And speaking of getting to Andromeda in the first place, there's only one kind of ship in ME that's confirmed to fly in intergalactic space. Especially interesting in terms of getting around since there may not be any relays in Andromeda.

Trying to be vague here since I know a poster said they were mostly unspoiled and wanted to follow the LP.

Of course they may just try their damnedest to gloss over the ME3 endings and associated poo poo storm. :v:

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 24, 2016

• Locked thread