Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Weather Timeline
Nova Launcher Prime

These are really good, Weather Timelime has such a good design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Also, get the paid version of your preferred podcast app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Also, get the paid version of your preferred podcast app.

He said that the only thing he'd bought was Pocket Casts but this is good advice. I bought the paid version of every app I have that has one, even utilities I almost never use like Ampere and GPS Tools.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Speaking of alarm clocks, Microsoft just released one for Android.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.mimickeralarm

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/21/10806410/microsoft-mimicker-alarm-android-app-features

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Deep learning techniques are amazing and the next few years are going to be amazing in what AI does for us...we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg with stuff like Google Photos and this app.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Daztek posted:

These are really good, Weather Timelime has such a good design

It's also notoriously bad at predicting weather. Like the 3 times already this winter that it's predicted 10in+ (19in once) of snow but through the entire winter we've gotten about 2.

I still put up with it cause basically all I want from it is the temperature on my notification bar, but if you want actual weather forecasts just go to NOAA.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Taffer posted:

It's also notoriously bad at predicting weather. Like the 3 times already this winter that it's predicted 10in+ (19in once) of snow but through the entire winter we've gotten about 2.

I still put up with it cause basically all I want from it is the temperature on my notification bar, but if you want actual weather forecasts just go to NOAA.

It has multiple data sources for you to choose from. The best one for me is Forecast.io which is freakishly good.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Taffer posted:

You can change the weather source.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I tried Timely for a week and I'm back to Gentle Alarm. You can't change the volume of the pre-alarm to differ from the normal alarm and can't change the time of the next alarm without messing with your standard alarms. As Lastinline said everyone has a different use case when it comes to alarm apps.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

It has multiple data sources for you to choose from. The best one for me is Forecast.io which is freakishly good.

I did not realize this. Unfortunately it doesn't have the NWS. I was on forecast.io which has been shockingly inaccurate, especially with any kind of precipitation. Before anyone asks, yes my location is accurate. I'll give weather underground a try but I'm pretty disappointed that it doesn't support the NWS.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've been using Apex Launcher Pro for ages. Is it worth me switching to something else? I mostly just like having the option to apply different icon themes, I don't use many other functions.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
I'm I the only one that vastly prefers the Google Now launcher over Nova and Launcher Pro? It felt like both offered way, way too much customization options that I would have to endlessly dick with to get it to my liking where Google Now is basically featureless but clean and easy to use.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Three Olives posted:

I'm I the only one that vastly prefers the Google Now launcher over Nova and Launcher Pro? It felt like both offered way, way too much customization options that I would have to endlessly dick with to get it to my liking where Google Now is basically featureless but clean and easy to use.

I'm into Google Now. To be fair though it has been ages since I've used others.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've never needed anything than stock as far as launchers go, but I can see the appeal

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Montalvo posted:

I've been using Apex Launcher Pro for ages. Is it worth me switching to something else? I mostly just like having the option to apply different icon themes, I don't use many other functions.

I switched from Apex to Nova almost completely because Apex hasn't had any updates in months. I also had issues with OK Google detection not working on the homepage.

Nova seems easier to modify, but Apex has a few visual flairs that I miss.

Three Olives posted:

I don't really use Google Now, so swiping left to get to it was just annoying. I also dislike how little "density" it has in how many icons you can get on the screen. I like using the alternate launchers solely to add another row of icons.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 22, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Three Olives posted:

I don't know if I'd call it a vast preference, but at some point yeah messing with folders and margins and animations and stuff gets real old (I used Nova for two years), and you realize that Google's actually kinda sorta got a hang of this.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Deep learning techniques are amazing and the next few years are going to be amazing in what AI does for us...we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg with stuff like Google Photos and this app.

Perhaps but to me this seems like way, way, way more annoying than just finding the willpower to force yourself out of bed. And I get it, I am not a morning person at all, my alarm clock has a 20 minute snooze and goes off an hour before I have to get up for work but by the third alarm but it seems like at some point as an adult you have to be able to say to yourself that I have, have, have, absolutely get my rear end out of bed when the alarm goes off, no games, no taking cute photos, this is real life.

It just seems a bit childish, by the time I was in high school my parents stopped coddling me out of bed and said here is the alarm clock, you are up and ready by school time or you suffer the consequences from the school when you don't show up. Saturday detention was way less fun than just throwing myself in the shower for 15 minutes to wake up.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Perhaps but to me this seems like way, way, way more annoying than just finding the willpower to force yourself out of bed. And I get it, I am not a morning person at all, my alarm clock has a 20 minute snooze and goes off an hour before I have to get up for work but by the third alarm but it seems like at some point as an adult you have to be able to say to yourself that I have, have, have, absolutely get my rear end out of bed when the alarm goes off, no games, no taking cute photos, this is real life.

It just seems a bit childish, by the time I was in high school my parents stopped coddling me out of bed and said here is the alarm clock, you are up and ready by school time or you suffer the consequences from the school when you don't show up. Saturday detention was way less fun than just throwing myself in the shower for 15 minutes to wake up.

Yes, it's a dumb alarm clock. I wasn't saying it was good.

I don't even use an alarm, I always just wake up when it's time.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Three Olives posted:

If you're going to will yourself out of bed, shouldn't you just do it after the first snooze so you can get an extra 40 minutes of sleep?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, it's a dumb alarm clock. I wasn't saying it was good.

I don't even use an alarm, I always just wake up when it's time.

Honestly as a completely non-morning person whenever my alarm clock has failed I get up on time. In fact, I'm honestly awake before it goes off every morning, look at it and think I have three minutes to cuddle the one dog that likes to be cuddled under the covers with my eyes closed and I get to go back to sleep for 20 minutes.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you're going to will yourself out of bed, shouldn't you just do it after the first snooze so you can get an extra 40 minutes of sleep?

Honestly? Because I get to fall asleep in a warm bed with a cuddly dog and the pillows and blankets arranged just so and I usually have at least one lucid dream in those 20 minute snoozes.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 22, 2016

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I use Action Launcher because swiping on an app to see the folder, while tapping opens the app, is genius (Covers)

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

ilifinicus posted:

I use Action Launcher because swiping on an app to see the folder, while tapping opens the app, is genius (Covers)

Nova does this, with the additional feature of allowing you to customize the swipe action OR tap action. A swipe on a folder can: open the folder, open any other app, or launch a shortcut. For example, swiping up on my maps folder launches a shortcut to automatically navigate me home via Google Maps.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^ e:fb

ilifinicus posted:

To be fair, you can do this with Nova (and probably Apex too) too. I kind of prefer how Nova does it, in that you don't have to have the "tap to open" app in the folder, unlike Action. That said, I love Action's slide out app drawer so much more than the traditional app drawer.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

lowcrabdiet posted:

Nova does this, with the additional feature of allowing you to customize the swipe action OR tap action. A swipe on a folder can: open the folder, open any other app, or launch a shortcut. For example, swiping up on my maps folder launches a shortcut to automatically navigate me home via Google Maps.
yeah, but action launcher didn't drain 28% of my battery when I was using it, like nova did :shobon:

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor
With Nova, whats an alternative to Teslaunread? It seems to keep my phone wakelocked but at the same time, I'm very dependant on the numbers beside the icon.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Aenslaed posted:

With Nova, whats an alternative to Teslaunread? It seems to keep my phone wakelocked but at the same time, I'm very dependant on the numbers beside the icon.

Zooper, Tasker, and this tutorial, maybe?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Three Olives posted:

Google now launcher does a lot of things right but I can't give up swipe actions, I like vertical app draws and the icon size is too big by default. Those things keep me using nova/action launcher.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Google Now Launcher actually switched back to vertical app drawer recently, too. I've even gotten some use out of the favorite apps at the top of the app drawer even though I initially saw no purpose in it and had it disabled.

Sure, its the same apps I have in folders on my home screen but I've launched apps from it enough times to say I guess I kinda get it.

Google Now Launcher became my go to when I decided I was done loving with margins and home screen grids literally all goddamn day. I decided to go all in with Google and let them do all the futzing for me and I'm .24% less trapped in my phone because of it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Sure, its the same apps I have in folders on my home screen but I've launched apps from it enough times to say I guess I kinda get it.

Oh, yeah, the other thing I like about custom launchers is hiding apps in the app drawer. I hide everything that's on my home screen and apps I don't use (system apps, apps for things that run in the background that you don't interact with). Makes the app drawer more like a scrolling folder to catch all the infrequently used apps without having to scroll through everything.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

LastInLine posted:

He said that the only thing he'd bought was Pocket Casts but this is good advice. I bought the paid version of every app I have that has one, even utilities I almost never use like Ampere and GPS Tools.

Well maybe he can use his Google Bux to buy Podcast Addict, the one true podcasting app. :colbert:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Google Now Launcher became my go to when I decided I was done loving with margins and home screen grids literally all goddamn day. I decided to go all in with Google and let them do all the futzing for me and I'm .24% less trapped in my phone because of it.

This is pretty much the same for me, its one less thing to care about.

Its the same reason I dislike having an easy to see battery percentage, cos you end up obsessing about it

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I liked the app drawer on action launcher 3 a lot, I ended up going back to Google Now Launcher though because I end up spending way too much time looking at icon packs and obsessing over my phone when I have the ability to change little things like that. I also like to use Google Now so swipping left to right to bring that up is pretty great for me.

To recommend stuff to spend your google money on I'd say Weather Timeline and Wunderlist are both worth using, Mightytext is pretty great too if you spend a lot of time on a PC and dont want to pick up your phone. I normally just blow my rewards money on renting movies because I already have the paid version of most of the apps I want.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Is there a way to retrieve the music I uploaded too Google Play Music? Or am I SOL?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is there a way to retrieve the music I uploaded too Google Play Music? Or am I SOL?

You can download your entire catalog

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Does anyone here use an app and an On Board Diagnostic (OBD) tool on their car? Looking for suggestions.

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 24, 2016

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I know a lot of people like Automatic.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 24, 2016

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

IuniusBrutus posted:

There's no entry for Play Music (yet?) in their 'download your data' deely. However, if you've got the Chrome extension installed you can download single tracks or albums as often as you'd like.

You can also download your whole music library in one go, if you take a look at the Account Settings page in Play Music:

[e] ... of course this is all from a desktop machine, not a mobile device.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Wamdoodle posted:

Does anyone here use an app and an On Board Diagnostic (OBD) tool on their car? Looking for suggestions.

Dash is pretty okay.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

spincube posted:

There's no entry for Play Music (yet?) in their 'download your data' deely. However, if you've got the Chrome extension installed you can download single tracks or albums as often as you'd like.

You can also download your whole music library in one go, if you take a look at the Account Settings page in Play Music:

[e] ... of course this is all from a desktop machine, not a mobile device.
Did Google change it so you are now allowed to download albums and tracks through the browser without limitations?
It used to be only 2 downloads of a track through the browser and unlimited downloads of your library through the Windows program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

Torque and one of these. It's what everyone on AI recommends.

BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_TDnPwb4C9XCH5

It's solely for diagnostics. Reads/resets codes and gives you live data from the sensors. If you want a connected app that keeps data about your driving habits, that's something else.