Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Okay so my salary basically doubled this year and I think it's time for new vehicles. I'd like to maybe do 600-700 in payments for 2 used vehicles in about 6 months after we save some of this extra cash in the bank.

For wife: sienna awd of some sort, 2013s end up being like 29k and we'd put some cash down plus maybe 3k for trade.
Her dream is a gl450 but I just can't see 25k more for something that is less functional for 3 kids. Also I'm assuming mercs are going to be a dick for me to repair so we'll want to warranty it up so tack on an extra 3k probably.

Also I'm not opposed to leasing a new awd toyota since my wife has car add.

For me: this is what I need aibfc for. I am all over the place I'm an AI guy at heart but haven't ever had the $$ for something inwant, I've mostly had sensible csrs, 91 Mazda 626, ford focus, 01 2 door civic.
I'm all over the place, ex cop car, civic si, wrx, element focus st.
Basically I want a fun to drive commuter, 4 door that is avaliable in automatic* and can hold 2 kids at least. At this stage with 3 young kids I'm not going to do track days or anything but my civic LX is slower than the mini van we have right now.
*stick may be okay but will require doghouse time.

Or really extreme the other way, a two four electric becsuse I have a 6 miles commute and that's all I drive 90%of the time, sure it'll be boring and sow as gently caress but poo poo dude no gas. (I live in ny I'm not sure if this would drive in the snow okay or not)

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

NewName posted:

Proposed Budget: ~10k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Sedan (not too picky since I don't need much cargo space and rarely find myself carrying more than two people
How will you be using the car?: Commuting (20 miles one way), two-four hours drives about once a month to go hiking and such
What aspects are most important to you?: automatic, reliability, MPG, safety, cost of ownership, low maintenance

My '09 Elantra was totaled a couple days ago and insurance only covers rental for a few days so I'm looking to get something relatively soon. They'll be cutting me a check for 7k and change to cover current value of the car and I'm fine with a budget of around 10k, although if I can get something appreciably better for a few thousand more I'm fine with that. I admittedly know virtually nothing about cars so some help would be appreciated.

Find your favorite 2004-2009 Prius that you can!

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
I found some 2011 for 11000 and bought a 2013 one for just under 13000. I do exactly the same driving as you and it is perfect for that. You do lack some creature comforts but I pay like 19$ in gas every 7-10 days. If you get one with a PWR button, it's kinda hilarious to use compared to the normal EV mode.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

tater_salad posted:

Okay so my salary basically doubled this year and I think it's time for new vehicles. I'd like to maybe do 600-700 in payments for 2 used vehicles in about 6 months after we save some of this extra cash in the bank.

For wife: sienna awd of some sort, 2013s end up being like 29k and we'd put some cash down plus maybe 3k for trade.
Her dream is a gl450 but I just can't see 25k more for something that is less functional for 3 kids. Also I'm assuming mercs are going to be a dick for me to repair so we'll want to warranty it up so tack on an extra 3k probably.

Also I'm not opposed to leasing a new awd toyota since my wife has car add.

For me: this is what I need aibfc for. I am all over the place I'm an AI guy at heart but haven't ever had the $$ for something inwant, I've mostly had sensible csrs, 91 Mazda 626, ford focus, 01 2 door civic.
I'm all over the place, ex cop car, civic si, wrx, element focus st.
Basically I want a fun to drive commuter, 4 door that is avaliable in automatic* and can hold 2 kids at least. At this stage with 3 young kids I'm not going to do track days or anything but my civic LX is slower than the mini van we have right now.
*stick may be okay but will require doghouse time.

Or really extreme the other way, a two four electric becsuse I have a 6 miles commute and that's all I drive 90%of the time, sure it'll be boring and sow as gently caress but poo poo dude no gas. (I live in ny I'm not sure if this would drive in the snow okay or not)
Don't buy any smart, including the electric. The electric is better but still awful. Also, don't buy an electric car (except may a used leaf as they are cheap as hell) as 3 years from now they'll be a useful as a 1st gen iphone 3 years after they came out. It is an area where there will be a lot of innovation, which will kill values more than normal. If you go the electric route, lease something. The 500e seems the best deal and is apparently not bad to drive. You also won't own it out of warranty, so who cares that it is an electric fiat.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I was looking at a 3yr lease for the electric smart, I don't think buying an electric is wise. totally forgot about fiat I'll look at a 500. What I guess I need to do is test drive a bunch of cars and see what I like. Problem is I'm looking at 5 year old vehicles and am find to wait to find the right one I'm not in my car took a poo poo I need a new one" mode.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Don't shop on payment and I wouldn't buy new cars just because you have some free cash

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Don't shop on payment and I wouldn't buy new cars just because you have some free cash
I appreciate the advice and I can understand that normally getting a bump in pay doest mean running out and buying a new car.

"Some free cash", I don't think you quite understand my salary literally doubled and its not like i was making $10 an hr last year. We were doinng okay but adding another car payment into mix without impacting savings, so I maintained my 17 year old civic but itnis increasingly in need of work. Using the classic 50/30/20 with all things figured conservatively would be more like 40 /25/35.
At what point of stailbility can I replace 17 year old car and our 11 year old van?

I'm not really shopping on payment I'm going to shop based on vehicle and vehicle price. I already nixed the merc idea because in dont feel that 55-60k for a 6 year old car is wise at this point, I also have shopped around and the wrx is more actual cash than I'm willing to pay for the examples (but it's just $25 a month more or whatever)
I will secure my own financing through a bank not the dealer. mm car I will probably buy outright or close to it since it by summer I will have enough tossed in savings, we are planning on pretending that i got a 20%increase for a few months to pad our savings and stick some money in the car down payment fund. My wife's will more likely will get financed (by outside financing), or we will wait for next year.

So now onto the cars.
For me i'm leaning towards a 13 civic si 4 door (going rate in my area is about 17k for 30-40k miles)

For my wife I'm leaning towards a 12/14 Sienna awd examples in my area are around 30k for what appear to be off lease models (20-30k miles)

Are there any known poo poo spots for either of these 2 models?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tater_salad posted:

17 year old civic

For me i'm leaning towards a 13 civic si 4 door (going rate in my area is about 17k for 30-40k miles)

This will be a nice upgrade. What is in the "Si" that you want vs just an LX? You admit yourself 90% of your driving is a tiny commute. Personally for that small of a commute I would just drive the current civic into the ground. This of course basically means you will be giving it to your children as their first car. If your commute goes to being longer then consider the upgrade.

As for the sienna, I've heard anecdotally that the Honda minivan is "better" but that's about all I've got. This seems like the spot for the nicer upgrade. Again is there anything specifically wrong with your 11 year old van?

I would stay clear of the German brands for the reasons you mentioned.

To be honest I've been in your exact position. We did not buy cars. Not making chump change, now making comically more money. We maxed retirement accounts, bought a house, and are now saving for other fun things down the road like copper pipes. It is really strange having a car payment again with the PriusV.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

We just bought a house (pre raise) that we are going to be happy with for quite some time. (I'm really glad for the timing since my wife would have probably tried to parlay some of the extra to go for a bigger house.
The issue with my 01 LX is that it's 2 door and I'd really like a 4 door for ease of everything that's not sitting in the passager car. Why the si over a 2013 non si.. becsuse I'd like to occasionally wind it out.. there are plenty of times I drive my current car and or minivan with gusto.
And admittedly because I want a little something extra for me.. after getting married and buying our first house I had to ditch my toy car due to garage space, and I've driven the same car to help keep our savings targets inline.

I'll see if the odddsey comes in awd, als the honds i think goes for a premium over the sienna which is why we have our current sienna. we'd really like awd since we live in Buffalo ny the snow capital of the world and even with snows my wife is awful at winter driving.. she was okay whe we had a subaru.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tater_salad posted:

We just bought a house (pre raise) that we are going to be happy with for quite some time. (I'm really glad for the timing since my wife would have probably tried to parlay some of the extra to go for a bigger house.
The issue with my 01 LX is that it's 2 door and I'd really like a 4 door for ease of everything that's not sitting in the passager car. Why the si over a 2013 non si.. becsuse I'd like to occasionally wind it out.. there are plenty of times I drive my current car and or minivan with gusto.
And admittedly because I want a little something extra for me.. after getting married and buying our first house I had to ditch my toy car due to garage space, and I've driven the same car to help keep our savings targets inline.

I'll see if the odddsey comes in awd, als the honds i think goes for a premium over the sienna which is why we have our current sienna. we'd really like awd since we live in Buffalo ny the snow capital of the world and even with snows my wife is awful at winter driving.. she was okay whe we had a subaru.

What I'm hearing is buy a(nother) miata.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

What I'm hearing is buy a(nother) miata.

Did you see the part where I live in buffalo, ny?
I owned a convertible once and would prefer not to unless it was was a second car. I'm also not super excited about another car where I sit basicslly sit on the floor.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

BulletHole posted:

Didn't see anyone respond to this, from a couple pages back, but I'm in pretty much the exact same situation, except I'm planning on test driving a Legacy instead of having already done it :v:

Any recommendations? I like the idea of AWD but am not set on it.

If you want Eyesight or something like it, get the Legacy. If not, I think the Accord is a better car for the money. The base model Subarus are awful. The interiors are poo poo, and the cloth upholstery is worse than my old '97 Camry by a large margin. The Accord, on the other hand, has a nice cloth interior that's totally passable. On the other hand, if you're paying for options it's really Eyesight and AWD versus zippy-ness and reliability. Drive both cars and the differences will become clear quickly. Drive the Mazda6 and the Civic while you're at it.

I found the Legacy more roomy and comfortable, and the Accord more fun to drive, for what it's worth.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Civic Si isn't that good and you pay the used Civic tax (that kind of money will get you a Focus ST with very low miles, for instance) but if you really like it it's pretty bulletproof.

I don't have any direct experience with the Siena, but you might try shopping further afield if you are looking for the AWD version since I imagine there's quite a premium in the Northeast. The Odyssey does not come in AWD - that thing is known as the Honda Pilot. If I lived in Buffalo I might consider an actual SUV just because minivans are loving expensive and only the Siena comes in AWD if I recall correctly.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

There is a 13 si thst I'm going to test drive.
My problem with the st is its a Ford.
My focus was 10 years old, 4 recalls, broken springs recall fixed at 5 years. Emissions poo poo breaking everywhere.

My 15 year old civic has needed takata airbags done, and I'm getting a code for a stuck evap flap, and stablink needed replacement because it was loud.

If ford is no longer poo poo, then I'd consider it. I'm also open to other suggestions for a 4 door sporty compact, I'm open. I looked up gtis and they are 5k more for similar optioned examples, and I don't want to pay that premium and still have to deal with vag type issues.

Element doesn't have 3 rows. Which we need, my wife wants an suv but I just worry that putting kids in and out will be a lot less easy, and that 3rd rows generally are uncomfortable.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 18, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you like the Si it's fine, it just is not nearly as good as every other one of the warm/hot hatch/sedan market except maybe the Veloster which sucks. If you're more concerned about the car lasting for 15 years without issue than you are with having 75% of the performance of a decent hot hatch, it's fine.

Did you like, not read what I posted? The Pilot is a three row SUV.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you like the Si it's fine, it just is not nearly as good as every other one of the warm/hot hatch/sedan market except maybe the Veloster which sucks. If you're more concerned about the car lasting for 15 years without issue than you are with having 75% of the performance of a decent hot hatch, it's fine.

Did you like, not read what I posted? The Pilot is a three row SUV.

I don't want 15 year reliability I hopefully won't need to hold onto cars for thst long at this point in my life, but I'd like to get 5-7 out of it and prefer a car that's not in need of repair all the time,

The focus st looks pretty sharp and I'll give it a test drive.. I admit the the civics intetior looks like poo poo in comparison, and that somewhere around 2010 was the last "good" si.

I get the pilot and element confused on a daily basis.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Looking at selling my weekend driver Jeep Wrangler and getting a slightly used Mini Cooper S. Any known mchanical issues with the current gen drive train I should be aware of? I'm looking for the 2014 or newer.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Hi, All! I got rearended back in November, and the body shop finally had an opening for me to take it in, and of course, they're totalling my car. I had and 07 Yaris S sedan that I got four years ago for gas mileage purposes. I was driving upwards of 150-200 miles a day so it was pretty important at the time, but after a massive career change, that's less important.

Proposed Budget:
15-20k
New or Used: Used, but if I can get new, hell I'll do it.
Body Style: Hatchback. (Hot hatch, for the right price, yes please)I initially wanted to get a hatchback when I got the Yaris, but ended up going with the sedan for the trunk. Again, career change, trunk not necessary.
How will you be using the car?: Mostly it's going to be a commuter with a dash of road tripping, but with the right vehicle, I could be convinced to track day every once in a while. I want it to be fun to drive on a daily basis more than anything. I can KIND of drive stick and that would obviously improve with use if that's the route I ultimately go.
What aspects are most important to you? So I'm short, but the significant other is pretty tall at 6'4". I'd be driving primarily, but I don't want him to have to kill himself getting out of my car. I'd like a winter package, due to living in Colorado. Most everything else I'm looking at is standard, as my last vehicle was manual everything but transmission, so power windows/locks/cruise control are pretty much givens at this point. I don't really want a red car.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Mazdaspeed 3,
golf gti come to mind.

If i recall correctly the golf gti will have the option for dual clutch auto gearbox which Wil be as nice or nicer for Performance tha stick but will put it outside your budget for a 2013 low miles ones.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 22, 2016

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
2016 GTIs have 5-6k on the hood, you can get into a 2016 MT for around $20k.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7571778-Crazy-prices-on-2016-GTIs

Protip: Don't buy a used out of warranty VW with a DSG.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Fiesta ST

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I know nothing about cars, to preempt everyone calling me stupid.

I have been browsing local Craigslist (near Philadelphia) & local dealers for cars in the 5-6k range, and found the following.

06 Subaru Impreza Wagon, 150k miles, $5900
04 BMW 325xi, 164k miles, $5700
08 Saturn Vue, 79k miles, $5450
03 Mercedes CLK320, 138k miles, $4800
04 Mercedes E320, 140k miles, $4600

Do any of these stand out as a blatant do/don't buy? I have a feeling I know the answer (buy the Subaru or the Saturn), but a very nice looking luxury car for under 6k is appealing to me.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

a worthy uhh posted:

I have been browsing local Craigslist (near Philadelphia) & local dealers for cars in the 5-6k range, and found the following.

Do any of these stand out as a blatant do/don't buy? I have a feeling I know the answer (buy the Subaru or the Saturn), but a very nice looking luxury car for under 6k is appealing to me.

Don't buy a German car out of warranty.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Subaru, plan on doing the timing belt and water pump soon if it hasn't been done, budget for 1k.

The gm is well, a gm and may or may not be a hunk of poo poo depending on day of week it was made. In all seriousness it's close to the window of needing a lot of gm type repairs.

And 2nding do not buy German out of a warranty much less a luxury German outside of warranty, for a daily deiver, you will bleed to death with repairs.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

There is a reason that older luxury cars look too good to be true and that reason is potentially ruinous maintenance and repair costs.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

a worthy uhh posted:

I'm actually gonna say that the Saturn is a better value than the Subaru here. Neither is super reliable, but neither should bankrupt you either. 2 years and 70k miles younger does make a difference, and in typical GM style I'd expect the drivetrain to be OK while everything else falls apart.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

antiga posted:

There is a reason that older luxury cars look are too good to be true and that reason is potentially ruinous maintenance and repair costs.

Especially 14 year old luxury cars.. my honda is 15 and I'm dumping it this summer because it's getting old.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 22, 2016

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

I need to think about my options of replacing a car. Previously I was driving a Chevrolet Malibu, 2006, around 130,000 miles. My needs are somewhat bare -- single guy, no big passenger requirements, no towing. But I do commute a long distance.

I was driving a sedan. I would prefer to continue driving a sedan, hatchback, crossover, etcetera, but I'm open to ideas.

Proposed Budget: 5 to 11k, less is more.
New or Used: Used.
Body style: Any.
How will you be using the car?: Commute, 30-60 miles, 5 days per week.
Priorities? At least average fuel economy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the most gen 2 prius you can find in your area in good condition

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

My Celica is 15 years old now and still going pretty strong. Going to hit 300k miles soon. My wife uses it for her work commute and I ride my bicycle most days.

That being said, we want to upgrade the car and keep the Celica as a 2nd/backup vehicle.

Live in Los Angeles. Commute is ~25-45 minutes for her usually.

We car camp a lot so need some decent trunk space, and will possibly be having a kid in the next ~5 years.

Prius? Any slightly more fun options?

Budget will be ~15k-20k. Used/new.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

a worthy uhh posted:

Get the BMW but visit the BMW thread first for some DIY tips.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Don't buy a 12 year old BMW with a ton of miles are you out of your loving mind?

Best Prius you can find.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

No Germans.

Saturn sold.

I'm thinking about this Prius, it seems like the best deal locally: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5407273831.html

Alternate: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5396062014.html
Cons: More mileage, $1500 more
Pros: Fully loaded, etc etc

It looks like the mileage for every '08+ Prius locally is 100k+. How much of an issue is that going to be on a Prius?

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 24, 2016

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the most gen 2 prius you can find in your area in good condition

I'm dumb. I forgot one thing in preferences/priorities: AWD. Admittedly, it is a lower priority.

I live in an area in the heartland that's not as snowy as, say, Colorado but is remote enough that snow is more than a hazard a few months a year. Unsalted back country roads, that sort of thing. I still like the Prius, I'd just like to know how a Prius (+ snowtires?) would compare to something with AWD. My former car was 2WD and did okay... but I never felt very safe and am inevitably snowed in a few days or weeks a year (including right now).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
An fwd with snows>awd with all season

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Its missing a key and I think those fuckers are expensive (like $600). Call a Toyota dealer and make sure if you don't get 2 keys, you knock that off the price you'd otherwise pay.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

EDIT: Looking through the carfax, the title bounced around a bit and it's kinda suspicious, I'm out for now, nevermind. Might have been flooded during Sandy, based on location and dates. Thanks to everyone on your thoughts though.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 24, 2016

i!ii!!iii!!!ii!!i!
Jan 5, 2011

Cool avs beyond this door.
Proposed Budget: <$10k (Available in cash, if necessary)
Body Style: Hatchback, crossover, or truck; I'd like something that isn't a behemoth on the road but could comfortably fit my drums inside of it.
How will you be using the car?: I have an hour round trip to and from work everyday in Austin that is mostly spent sitting in traffic. On the weekends I haul my drum stuff around into tight parallel parking spaces downtown.
What aspects are most important to you? I'd don't care at all how the car looks or how fast it is; I just want the most reliable and maintenance-free hunk of metal that won't explode when another car hits me. Actually, that last part is probably the most important. I value safety first, then reliability, then level of maintenance required.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Setion posted:

Proposed Budget: <$10k (Available in cash, if necessary)
Body Style: Hatchback, crossover, or truck; I'd like something that isn't a behemoth on the road but could comfortably fit my drums inside of it.
How will you be using the car?: I have an hour round trip to and from work everyday in Austin that is mostly spent sitting in traffic. On the weekends I haul my drum stuff around into tight parallel parking spaces downtown.
What aspects are most important to you? I'd don't care at all how the car looks or how fast it is; I just want the most reliable and maintenance-free hunk of metal that won't explode when another car hits me. Actually, that last part is probably the most important. I value safety first, then reliability, then level of maintenance required.

My first gut recommendation to your post is a Mazda 5, or a Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix. Not sure if you can find a Mazda 5 in your price range yet, but I love the mini minivan aspect of it for tight parking like you find in Austin. The Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix was a decent little hatch that you should be able to find in your price range easily. It should easily swallow your drum set. Both cars should be reliable as long as maintenance is done, get good gas mileage and be easy to park. You should also be able to find a good deal on both of those cars as they're not exactly super popular. A Subaru Wagon would work, but those will carry a premium in the hipsterville Austin market.

edit: Honda Fit or Honda CRV's are worth considering as well, as are Toyota RAV4's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
Proposed Budget: $4k
Body Style: SUV
How will you be using the car?: off-road, camping trips, overland
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, being smallish/nimble, agile, but not a death trap [samurai], maybe just big enough to sleep inside? Something that can maybe be cheaply lifted [an inch or two] I don't know much about off-roading, I can drive stick but is a stick required for serious off-roading or can automatics do the job? Honestly clueless.

I had a 92 Toyota 4runner that did decent offroad, hit a deer and totaled it, and mostly not sure if I want to pay the used toyota tax again. Plus for a V6, it was gutless, felt more like an I4.

EAB fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 25, 2016