Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is it possible to enable DSR for only some games? It seems to disappear from the options in Nvidia CP when I pick a specific app.

Also, what's the consensus on MFAA? Always enable it when you can use MSAA in a game? Or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
DSR allows you to choose higher "virtual" resolutions in games. If you enable 4x (you should for integer scaling) it'll give you the option to set 2560x1440 and 5120x2880 in games (or whatever your monitors native resolution is and 4x that) and only the 5120x2880 resolution is the DSR one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The_Franz posted:

Fullscreen windows still have to go through the desktop compositor, which usually means there is an extra copy of the entire screen-sized window taking place. On a 1920x1080 screen at 60Hz that's roughly 500 megs of data per-second that needs to be copied around.

That's no longer really true. If the swapchain is FLIP_SEQUENTIAL, then as of Windows 8, there's no additional copy, just the composition. As of Windows 8.1, if your window covers the whole screen and is top-most and is FLIP_SEQUENTIAL, then the OS flips directly to your swapchain and avoids both copy and composition.

Even if it did have to copy, though, a 500MB buffer is about 2ms to copy on a 970, and it would each time be in parallel with the generation of the next frame. Even if it were totally serialized, that takes you from 60.2 to 60.1 fps.

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

The_Franz posted:

Fullscreen windows still have to go through the desktop compositor, which usually means there is an extra copy of the entire screen-sized window taking place. On a 1920x1080 screen at 60Hz that's roughly 500 megs of data per-second that needs to be copied around.

Some non-windows desktops addresses this by detecting and unredirecting fullscreen windows so they are just used directly as the display buffer instead of being fed to the compositor. Basically auto-detecting and enabling exclusive fullscreen for one display.

Windows has done the optimization since 8 (and gotten better at it in 8.1 and 10), but the program/game needs to also be using the D3D flip modes introduced in 8 to trigger it, so it's fairly uncommon.

Windows 10 can even use some GPU features or another new mode to pull it off with not-quite-fullscreen windows, such as when a notification is being displayed.

Edit: As part of the D3D12 info, Microsoft made a video about all the different presentation modes, and what frame delay/max fps limits they have
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3wTajGZOsA

Kobata fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 20, 2016

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Update on my Zotac GTX 970 (regular 2 fan edition): A new PSU fixed the computer resetting in games problem and even the coil whine problem.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PirateBob posted:

Update on my Zotac GTX 970 (regular 2 fan edition): A new PSU fixed the computer resetting in games problem and even the coil whine problem.

Good to hear :) Wish my issue was the PSU :negative:

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

PirateBob posted:

Did it reset in all games or just a select one?

balakadaka
Jun 30, 2005

robot terrorists WILL kill you
Is there a GTX 970 shortage going on?

I'm pricing them out, and everything is $20-30 more than back in November, and EVGA doesn't even list it in their B-stock.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Stanley Pain posted:

Good to hear :) Wish my issue was the PSU :negative:

It still might be. People assume that a PSU issue means not enough total wattage or not enough rail amperage but it could also be fluctuations in voltage levels, i.e. ripple. If the circuitry is there to handle high amounts of current but voltages are all over the place, your components will not be cool with that either. If you've got a 1000W PSU that can indeed handle 1000W of load but the 12V rail is drooping to 11.1v under that load then you don't have a very good unit.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

B-Mac posted:

Did it reset in all games or just a select one?

It reset in all games unless I ran adaptive half-refresh vsync (30 fps).

And yeah, what Seamonster said. These 970's can be finicky bitches and there are many bad PSUs out there, despite impressive wattage numbers.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mutation posted:

How do you sell something as expensive as a Titan X without putting a target on yourself for scammers?

Sell to Goons. They're more trustworthy because they have been blessed by the Rowdy Trout.

T800
Jul 2, 2009
Any reason why I shouldn't sell my SLI 970s and switch over to a 980ti right now?

SLI is a lot easier than when I did it with 8800GTs back in the day, but I've found myself mostly playing games that don't support SLI at all. My second card probably hasn't done anything except render my desktop background and youtube videos on the other monitor in the past couple weeks. To top it off, I've managed to start exceeding 4GBs of VRAM usage in X-Plane 10 thanks to mods, and while the 512MB of slow RAM on a 970 isn't really that noticeable, running out of VRAM completely sure as hell is.

I've gotta a buddy who's in the market for one who would pay me close to what I paid originally, and after SA-Mart/Ebaying the other it wouldn't be that much for the difference for a new 980ti. I just haven't been keeping up with updates in the GPU market since I got the 970s, and I wanted to make sure that I'm not about to have to resell this new 980ti before it depreciates anymore because the next lineup gets announced a month later.

And is there any reason for me to switch away from MSI? I've really appreciated how quiet their cooler's are since I've switched to them, not to mention I quiet like the look of the card.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
This gen , you have every reason to do exactly that. A 980ti is virtually 970 sli, and practically speaking even superior in many ways

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

T800 posted:

Any reason why I shouldn't sell my SLI 970s and switch over to a 980ti right now?

SLI is a lot easier than when I did it with 8800GTs back in the day, but I've found myself mostly playing games that don't support SLI at all. My second card probably hasn't done anything except render my desktop background and youtube videos on the other monitor in the past couple weeks. To top it off, I've managed to start exceeding 4GBs of VRAM usage in X-Plane 10 thanks to mods, and while the 512MB of slow RAM on a 970 isn't really that noticeable, running out of VRAM completely sure as hell is.

I've gotta a buddy who's in the market for one who would pay me close to what I paid originally, and after SA-Mart/Ebaying the other it wouldn't be that much for the difference for a new 980ti. I just haven't been keeping up with updates in the GPU market since I got the 970s, and I wanted to make sure that I'm not about to have to resell this new 980ti before it depreciates anymore because the next lineup gets announced a month later.

And is there any reason for me to switch away from MSI? I've really appreciated how quiet their cooler's are since I've switched to them, not to mention I quiet like the look of the card.

you don't want to wait 6-9 months to see what the next gen will bring? you can always sell your 970s then.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Seamonster posted:

It still might be. People assume that a PSU issue means not enough total wattage or not enough rail amperage but it could also be fluctuations in voltage levels, i.e. ripple. If the circuitry is there to handle high amounts of current but voltages are all over the place, your components will not be cool with that either. If you've got a 1000W PSU that can indeed handle 1000W of load but the 12V rail is drooping to 11.1v under that load then you don't have a very good unit.
Isn't that more or less voltage regulation? As far as I understand it ripple is A/C variances/interference carried over into the DC transmission lines on a switching PSU. Ripple is inevitable in a PSU but most high-quality modern PSU's have good to excellent ripple suppression, especially the Superflower models that have caps built into the cables (and they're really overkill for this as I'm pretty sure ripple has to be pretty excessive to actually have any noticeable effect on PC hardware). High ripple can absolutely kill motherboards or other sensitive components like drives and videocards since DC devices aren't designed to tolerate too much A/C interference, though terrible voltage regulation and inadequate or overloaded power on a PSU rail can be just as bad on hardware. You'd be more likely to quickly notice voltage regulation problems than higher ripple since a low 12V rail could show general system instability or crashes/GPU artifacting under load, and a low 5V rail could gently caress with USB devices or kill drives at a higher than normal rate - Whereas a unit doing a crap job at ripple suppression might not show any immediate issues until the motherboard suddenly explodes. A good to excellent-quality modern PSU shouldn't have rail/voltage or ripple issues like that though unless it's defective, which could be really difficult to test without professional equipment depending on the nature of the problem. If it's a lovely overrated Black Friday special or an off-brand unit it's more likely to have issues than a good PSU - most of the top-tier manufacturers don't mess around with overrating units any more, although it was pretty common with certain low and mid-tier PSU OEMs around 2006-2008 or so.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 21, 2016

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

T800 posted:

The Lord Bude posted:

you don't want to wait 6-9 months to see what the next gen will bring? you can always sell your 970s then.
Personal suggestion, sell your cards before retail release if the reviews for Pascal were like Maxwell. 2nd market for 600/700 series saw a 50% reduction in price because of Maxwell. Better to lose some money instead of a whole video card amount of money.

Still, we're looking at getting the top model Pascal first when it releases. If you're not looking to spend the $$$$ to early adopt you could be without a video card if you sell before Pascal hits.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 21, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SlayVus posted:

Still, we're looking at getting the top model Pascal first when it releases. If you're not looking to spend the $$$$ to early adopt you could be without a video card if you sell before Pascal hits.

I'm not sure where this is coming from? Last I heard little Pascal is what will hit the market first because big Pascal is going to get gobbled up in the HPC sector for some time as Teslas and Quadros. Nvidia has a commanding position in the consumer sector, they can stand to potentially lose a few sales there to make sure AMD doesn't edge them out in HPC, as well as let supply reach the point that prices for Big Pascal become competitive. If they try to do both they'll end up in a reverse 980ti: Fury X situation where the new Fury might offer similar or better performance at a lower price point while Nvidia tries to provide for both markets. To do what you say would require immensely good yields on GP100.

IMHO, everything points to either Nvidia releasing second and later, but more will be clarified in April.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

SlayVus posted:

Personal suggestion, sell your cards before retail release if the reviews for Pascal were like Maxwell. 2nd market for 600/700 series saw a 50% reduction in price because of Maxwell. Better to lose some money instead of a whole video card amount of money.

Are you suggesting sell now and not have a GPU until Pascal hits? I would urge against that, Pascal isn't releasing for months and it would not be surprising to not see cards priced effectively until the summer.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i'm pretty sure the implication is "sell those cards and get a 980ti instead for the time being"

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

FaustianQ posted:

I'm not sure where this is coming from? Last I heard little Pascal is what will hit the market first because big Pascal is going to get gobbled up in the HPC sector for some time as Teslas and Quadros. Nvidia has a commanding position in the consumer sector, they can stand to potentially lose a few sales there to make sure AMD doesn't edge them out in HPC, as well as let supply reach the point that prices for Big Pascal become competitive. If they try to do both they'll end up in a reverse 980ti: Fury X situation where the new Fury might offer similar or better performance at a lower price point while Nvidia tries to provide for both markets. To do what you say would require immensely good yields on GP100.

IMHO, everything points to either Nvidia releasing second and later, but more will be clarified in April.

The WCCFTech rumour back in October was that we'd get the 1080ti in April along with a professional card that would have a max 16GB HBM2. Then in Q3 there would be the low end GDDR5x cards and a new Titan with yet another pro card that could have up to 32GB HBM2. Their reasoning was the expected shortage of HBM2 and nvidia rushing to get a VR Max settings card out before the Oculus Rift. It would also allow them to counter any move AMD made between April-October.

Turns out the chips they claimed were GP100 with a fake Maxwell code on the shipping container were probably 960Ti mobile gpu's for laptops due in April aiming for minimum settings VR. Nobody has reported seeing any sign of Pascal chips being ready for Q2 so far, which sucks.

Except for my friend who claims he bought $800 worth of AMD shares right before the Polaris rumours and Samsung deal were announced.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Seamonster posted:

Yeah, I'm 100% sure the PSU is fine. It's a Corsair AX1200i and both the software and my own tests show that all the rails performing well within spec. I should probably just RMA the cards and try my like with some refurbs.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

This gen , you have every reason to do exactly that. A 980ti is virtually 970 sli, and practically speaking even superior in many ways

Like the aforementioned VRAM and working on every game issues. Definitely do it!

Also I really like MSI, I had a 580 Lightning and loved it. I think they have the best cooling design and their construction quality is high, which is good because I have heard their customer support is terrible.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Verizian posted:

The WCCFTech rumour back in October was that we'd get the 1080ti in April along with a professional card that would have a max 16GB HBM2. Then in Q3 there would be the low end GDDR5x cards and a new Titan with yet another pro card that could have up to 32GB HBM2. Their reasoning was the expected shortage of HBM2 and nvidia rushing to get a VR Max settings card out before the Oculus Rift. It would also allow them to counter any move AMD made between April-October.

Turns out the chips they claimed were GP100 with a fake Maxwell code on the shipping container were probably 960Ti mobile gpu's for laptops due in April aiming for minimum settings VR. Nobody has reported seeing any sign of Pascal chips being ready for Q2 so far, which sucks.

Except for my friend who claims he bought $800 worth of AMD shares right before the Polaris rumours and Samsung deal were announced.

To be fair, I'm pretty bullish on AMD too, but I don't play the stock market, or I might have dropped a thou on AMD shares as well.

I'm pretty much on a hairtrigger to buy if Polaris/Zen pans out, though.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The only consideration in favor of 970 SLI is the small bit less than a 980 Ti it's worth and the two cards potentially devaluing less (and tbh I bet there'll be a good used market for the Ti if you want to flip it). Otherwise it's the same or greater performance without the annoyance. Price out your best guess on how much you'd pay to shift from the 970s to the Ti, and ask if you want to pay that much for a big jump in performance in some of your games, smoother frames where that doesn't happen, and no memory issues. Personally the answer's yes.

I very much doubt big Pascal will be relevant until nearly a year after Polaris and small Pascal drop. It's like big Kepler. It'll exist, but you'll know if you're in the market and that market is "will pay thousands for top HPC performance", and with that eating good dice, it'll probably be a year till the yields get good enough to sell it for a grand, unless they go the salvage core route.

AMD stock is a bet on Polaris and Zen, and I'm hoping they're going to do well and actually compete respectively, so I'm a bit tempted. It'll be interesting to see if they're doing decently when their debt matures. Heck of a gamble though.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 21, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

there's no reason not to get off of that SLI setup on the performance front as well

a 970-SLI setup uses up to 380w before overclocks, whereas the 980ti caps out at 250w as advertised, so you'll have significantly more headroom if you want to overclock a 980ti, and that has more or less the same frequency cap and better (lower) power climb than smaller maxwell chips

edit: glhuhgalghhuhg

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 21, 2016

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Someone should give me a 970! :bigtran:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-flagship-pascal-gpu-2h-2016/ finally at least a rumor for a release time period. Although its nothing new, everybody pretty much guessed second half of this year anyway

edit: pretty exciting year probably. two actual releases probably around the same time

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 22, 2016

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I can't seem to find which HDMI version my R9 290 has. Can my R9 290 support 1440p @ 60hz over HDMI? Or do I have to use a displayport cable? My monitor only has one displayport input but two HDMI inputs. I have my keyboard/mouse hooked up to the USB hub on my monitor and it'd be nice to only switch out the USB wire when switching from my MBP to my Desktop PC.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-flagship-pascal-gpu-2h-2016/ finally at least a rumor for a release time period. Although its nothing new, everybody pretty much guessed second half of this year anyway

edit: pretty exciting year probably. two actual releases probably around the same time

Broadwell-E is also coming out around the same time. Look forward to consumer grade 10c/20t CPUs.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Rabid Snake posted:

I can't seem to find which HDMI version my R9 290 has. Can my R9 290 support 1440p @ 60hz over HDMI? Or do I have to use a displayport cable? My monitor only has one displayport input but two HDMI inputs. I have my keyboard/mouse hooked up to the USB hub on my monitor and it'd be nice to only switch out the USB wire when switching from my MBP to my Desktop PC.

Some cursory Googling says the R9 290 and other 200 series cards only have HDMI 1.4. Looks like you should be good, from what I found the 1.4 revision supports 1440p up to 80Hz but higher resolutions like 2K/4K cap out around 25-35Hz

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rabid Snake posted:

The NVIDIA GTX 900 series are the only cards on the market with HDMI 2.0 at the moment.

I think HDMI can do 60hz at 1440p but I'm not positive.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Where's the foreseen need of 32GB of VRAM?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Tab8715 posted:

In response to the quad-die thing? Having enough bandwidth and capacity to feed 4x600mm^2 dies.

To the Titan thing? The compute market wants literally as much as they can possibly have and will pay out the rear end for it. The more memory you have, the better GPU compute works. Having to start and stop is the slowest part of GPGPU and more memory means a larger scale and thus less stopping.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 23, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
http://techreport.com/news/29633/jedec-makes-gddr5x-official

10-14 Gb/sec bandwidth per-die, about double GDDR5.

Also:

http://techreport.com/news/29632/rumor-amd-may-cut-radeon-r9-fury-prices-soon

Called it~

e: I'm taking that back. A rumor isn't definitive proof.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 23, 2016

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie

Tab8715 posted:

There are some edge cases that will require 32GB VRAM, but 64GB VRAM is than anyone will ever need.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FSMC posted:

There are some edge cases that will require 32GB VRAM, but 64GB VRAM is than anyone will ever need.

Famous last words? I know Bill Gates didn't actually say the thing that's attributed to him, but still.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FSMC posted:

HPC loooooooooooooves memory.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

xthetenth posted:

HPC loooooooooooooves memory.

Truth. There are some applications in my line of work where we could easily use 1TB of memory on a GPU.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I work on high resolution video processing using neural networks as a hobby. My entire architecture would change (for the better) if I could treat the GPU memory like it's uh... actually memory rather than a manually managed L2 cache in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is there any kind of technical documents on how Nvidia gets the reduced input latency on the GTX 950?