Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Acne Rain posted:

I didn't actively dislike or detest those episodes but none of them had anything absolutely rave worthy great.
Except I was one of the few that really liked 42, it was among my favorites of that season.

Anyway we'll just have to hope he directs other writers and the budgets a little better, if he can get some better material out of the standalone episodes then things will be fine. I mean, remember all of Moffat's pre-showrunner episodes were high marks but except for season 5 that didn't make for a better all round show.

Also Cyberwoman as pointed out above.

And apparently Broadchurch season 2 is awful though I don't know how much of that is his fault and have nothing more than second hand info on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Does this mean the post-Clara companion is also leaving after season ten because that'd be kind of even more amusing to me than having to follow Amy and Clara.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Acne Rain posted:

Does this mean the post-Clara companion is also leaving after season ten because that'd be kind of even more amusing to me than having to follow Amy and Clara.

Likely not?

We don't even know what Capaldi will be doing. It's possible he will be leaving with the next Christmas special and Moffat gets to introduce a third Doctor...but hopefully not.

Capaldi deserves a season's send off. Which this last season most definitely was not.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, at least Cobi's friend who he said wants Chibnall to replace Moffat will be happy, I suppose. :shobon:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Burkion posted:

And apparently Broadchurch season 2 is awful though I don't know how much of that is his fault and have nothing more than second hand info on that.

Broadchurch was a flash in the pan, basically. The first season was great, but they tried to stretch it out for another run and it just didn't come together. I have no idea what the hell the impending third season will be like.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

This is like the saddest news in the world. I hope Capaldi lasts for a fourth season though.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, at least Cobi's friend who he said wants Chibnall to replace Moffat will be happy, I suppose. :shobon:

I MEANT PAUL CORNELL!!!!!!

(I'm not happy with this choice, not at all. I liked 42 and my stepdaughter loves Dinosaurs on a Spaceship...maybe he'll be a better showrunner than a writer)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, at least I'll have time to catch up on the Blu Rays. :smith:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Thinking about it a little more, I think Chibnail's approach to Doctor Who thus far has basically been setting an incredibly low bar then clearing it. I'll cop to liking Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, but it's not like anyone's expectations for an episode like that are very high.

Timby posted:

I can't imagine he's staying, no. He's already been making noise about how he didn't expect the filming schedule to be so arduous.

If we've gotten to the point that people who love Doctor Who so much are so beaten down by the process that it's causing them problems, maybe it's time that Doctor who only does ten episodes a year. Eleven with a Christmas special if we're keeping that around. It seems like filming takes all year, actors keep getting injured, and it's all too stressful an experience. Besides, I don't think any series would be hurt if you took out its two worst episodes.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Maybe the new showrunner will actually be able to run the show and not leave huge gaping gaps in the schedule any more.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Noxville posted:

Maybe the new showrunner will actually be able to run the show and not leave huge gaping gaps in the schedule any more.

Going from one person currently running 2 shows to another person currently running 2 shows makes this unlikely, barring Broadchurch being cancelled

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

I MEANT PAUL CORNELL!!!!!!

Ah, that makes better sense. :D

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm fine with Chibnall. Moffat may be a decent writer but he can't run a show to save his life. There's no way Chibnall can do worse. I'm more pissed about only getting a single episode next year and most likely losing Capaldi with Moffat.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Oh good, the guy that wrote the two episodes that are bad in season 5 and the episodes of Life on Mars that are poo poo is taking over. I hope it's full of grim darkness! Maybe he'll commission some Lidster scripts!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There's no way Chibnall can do worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hungry_Earth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_Blood_%28Doctor_Who%29

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
What is with Doctor Who's shooting schedule being so gruelling that it burns out experienced, talented actors, even with huge giant gaps every once in a while (also: what is with the need for giant gaps every once in a while)?

I'm not a fan of Chibnall's episodes but I hold out hope he's a better showrunner than writer.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Huh, didn't see that one coming. :shrug: Hopefully, Moffat's last series is gonna own. Capaldi should definitely leave with Moffat, though. I don't trust Chibnail to write him a good series.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
What did people think of season 8? Since everyone here seems to hate season 9 and I liked it way more than 8.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

What did people think of season 8? Since everyone here seems to hate season 9 and I liked it way more than 8.

I loved season 9 myself, I think it's almost tied for best of the revival with series 5.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

DirtyRobot posted:

What is with Doctor Who's shooting schedule being so gruelling that it burns out experienced, talented actors, even with huge giant gaps every once in a while (also: what is with the need for giant gaps every once in a while)?

Whatever it is, it seems to me that the producer role which handles all of that needs to be split off from the head writer role. Those are two completely divergent skill sets.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

I see two decent but boring episodes. Still not making a case for Chibnall bungling the production of the show any worse than Moffat.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

I've thought each of the last couple seasons have been similar, each had strong aspects and then some real stinkers.

I suppose as a whole I prefer season 9, although a lot of that is because of Heaven Sent.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I've really enjoyed Capaldi-era Moffat's writing and showrunning, but I think the greatest crime that Moffat has done to Who was not groom an obvious successor, so now we have Chibnall. I'd rather take weak sauce Mark Gatiss.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Largely bad. I think 9 has been the best Capaldi season but honestly outside of like two episodes it didn't really do much for me either. But then the last series I really loved was probably the first Smith one so I don't pretend to be in the majority there.

I don't have much of an opinion on Chibnall, but being as the show has done little for me in a long time I am not sad to see Moffat go.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
We're also still two years out from Chibnall taking over. A lot can happen in two years.

Personally, I think seasons 8 and 9 are equal in quality. There are some very high highs and some very low lows. Both seasons suffer from having great concepts and mediocre-to-bad execution. Capaldi took longer than usual to find his character but ended up being pretty great. As a character, Clara improved immensely. Missy is great and Gomez completely owns the role. If I were to give seasons 8 and 9 a numerical grade, it would probably be around 5.5-6/10.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 22, 2016

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Big Mean Jerk posted:

We're also still two years out from Chibnall taking over. A lot can happen in two years.

Not a lot of Doctor Who.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Thought it was incredible with a few weak spots. The same as I think about 9, really. They're not perfect seasons, but their highs are really high and they're pretty consistently good, even if some episodes miss. In both of them, the sheer strength of Capaldi and Coleman's acting and dynamic is carrying a lot of weight.

e: also season 8 gave us Michelle Gomez as the Master, which is like, one of the best things to happen to Doctor Who in its entire run, probably.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 22, 2016

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Personally, I think seasons 8 and 9 are equal in quality. There are some very high highs and some very low lows. Both seasons suffer from having great concepts and mediocre-to-bad execution. Capaldi took longer than usual to find his character but ended up being pretty great. As a character, Clara improved immensely. Missy is great and Gomez completely owns the role. If I were to give seasons 8 and 9 a numerical grade, it would probably be around 5.5-6/10.

It would be nice if Chibnall could use the break to get some newer Who writers, since it seemed to pay off with guys like Jamie Mathieson over the last two seasons. The better the writers, the less work he'll have to do as showrunner.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I adore series eight. Only series five is better overall. Quite frankly, most of the series finales have been pretty bad, so I'm really glad that series nine got it mostly right for a change.

My ranking goes something like this:

5 - comes together brilliantly
8 - beautiful character study, great standalone episodes
4 - Donna
9 - decent episodes, great finale, Heaven Sent
3 - great finale, Family of Blood
6 - great episodes, really confusing finale
7 - good episodes, really confusing finale
2 - three good episodes
1 - three good episodes

Tavarin posted:

It would be nice if Chibnall could use the break to get some newer Who writers, since it seemed to pay off with guys like Jamie Mathieson over the last two seasons. The better the writers, the less work he'll have to do as showrunner.

Maybe they'll finally return Nicolas Winding Refn's calls.

quote:

Are there any other British TV shows you’d like to work on?

I would have loved to direct Doctor Who but they didn’t want me — they turned me down last year. Maybe if they revive Blake’s 7 I could do that. I love it. It’s great. That could be fun to update.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I am discontent with this news.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

And More posted:

3 - great finale, Family of Blood

I'm fine with the rankings, but Last of the Time Lords is garbage.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Moffat is bad.

Chibnall is bad.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

please let there be a retcon that copletely undoes 11 and 12. the show deals in time shennanigans it wouldnt be hard at all. its the least they could do.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
that's a bit poo poo if we're getting nothing but a christmas special this year, and its incredibly annoying that this has happened twice in three years. My one hope is that this leads to them moving the thing to the Spring, because then it'd be a slightly shorter wait plus they'd be much more likely to get a slightly earlier time slot which would be slightly better for the show

Enourmo posted:

please let there be a retcon that copletely undoes 11 and 12. the show deals in time shennanigans it wouldnt be hard at all. its the least they could do.

this is the worst idea

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Tavarin posted:

I'm fine with the rankings, but Last of the Time Lords is garbage.

I love it. Something about that horrible little Doctor in his cage, and the Master refusing to regenerate just gets to me. It's definitely better than The End of Time with its twenty minute farewell tour.

And More fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 23, 2016

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Someone get Ian Levine on the phone, we need another charity single to have the show back on this year.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

oh good, chibnall's taking over, what with his reputation for stellar writing like most of broadchurch season one and

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

So Moffat tried to get other people to take it over and Chinballs must have been reaaaally far down the list.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If we're talking about a list of talented British show-runners/producers, its probably not a long list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Toxxupation posted:

oh good, chibnall's taking over, what with his reputation for stellar writing like most of broadchurch season one and

I assume you're just gonna re-post your series 1 reviews, and add a 1 to the end?

edit: My brain is scrambling every sentence right now.

• Locked thread