Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I really hope that none of the nihilistic tone of Torchwood seeps into Who. That wouldn't fit very well.

Also they could probably have aimed for someone who was not also running another show at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gorn Myson posted:

If we're talking about a list of talented British show-runners/producers, its probably not a long list.

yeah there's really no other options

any option that would be available is busy in other projects or wouldn't want to

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The last ten minutes of Last of the Time Lords was poo poo, but I thought the rest of the three parter was great (and I think it's one of the few season finales that actually ties in stuff from the rest of the season satisfactorily), the same with the Family of Blood episodes, and I liked Martha's intro episode too.

Then again I also think the Eccleston season is still one of the best of the revival and it doesn't seem to be remembered fondly so what do I know. The production values weren't as good, some of what came later devalued it, but I think it did exactly what it needed to to not only bring the show back, but hit it out of the park. I still think Eccleston was a far better doctor than Tennant or Smith, and that both of them were pretty interchangeable. It's strange to think that it's been almost 11 years since Eccleston's season.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

yeah there's really no other options

any option that would be available is busy in other projects or wouldn't want to
So according to you, the list went 1) Armando Iannucci and then 2) Chris Chibnall.

So like I said, not a long list.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IceAgeComing posted:

this is the worst idea

Look around look around at how lucky we are to be alive right now

*crosses fingers with hope for sherlock as well*

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I’m so glad I can watch doctor who again. I hope the 13th Doctor uses his time beams to retcon the last 2 series.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah what the show really needs is a walking temper tantrum as The Doctor again.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

are all the people smugly crowing about how great chibnall is for unseating the Great Evil Moffat just like

not watch any of Chibnall's episodes, or only dinosaurs on a spaceship

i'm genuinely curious here, because oofdah doofah is chibnall's track record easily one of the worst on DW, only to be rivalled by what

peter harness? helen raynor?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ah gently caress i'm seriousposting about who

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :qq:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Toxxupation posted:

ah gently caress i'm seriousposting about who

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :qq:

Stay tuned for my reviews of about twenty Doctor Who audio books I've been listening to while at the gym.

Chairman Capone posted:

Then again I also think the Eccleston season is still one of the best of the revival and it doesn't seem to be remembered fondly so what do I know.

I find the first seven episodes of series one completely unwatchable. The second half is okay, but Rose drags the finale down with her.

And More fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 23, 2016

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Eh, maybe it'll be good. I hope it's good. I enjoy "Doctor Who." Sometimes even when it's bad. So I'll keep watching, either way.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Toxxupation posted:

are all the people smugly crowing about how great chibnall is for unseating the Great Evil Moffat just like

not watch any of Chibnall's episodes, or only dinosaurs on a spaceship

i'm genuinely curious here, because oofdah doofah is chibnall's track record easily one of the worst on DW, only to be rivalled by what

peter harness? helen raynor?

:wtc: If anything, there's far more posts insisting the show is now doomed because the guy taking over wrote a handful of boring episodes. Everyone seems to be ignoring how poorly Moffat ran the actual production of the show, regardless of how you gauge his skill as a writer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

Then again I also think the Eccleston season is still one of the best of the revival and it doesn't seem to be remembered fondly so what do I know. The production values weren't as good, some of what came later devalued it, but I think it did exactly what it needed to to not only bring the show back, but hit it out of the park. I still think Eccleston was a far better doctor than Tennant or Smith, and that both of them were pretty interchangeable. It's strange to think that it's been almost 11 years since Eccleston's season.

As I've said before, I quite unabashedly love the first season because it reminds me of CBBC kid dramas (RTD's bread and butter before he did stuff like The Second Coming and Queer As Folk, of course) like The Demon Headmaster which I was dead keen on when I was younger.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Can anyone post the text of the drat Radio Times article, because every time I try to read it, it crashes before I can get beyond Moffat's quote.

The thing that's the worst about this is that the show won't come back until Christmas. :( Those kinds of weird delays are the surest ways to push it toward disinterest and eventual cancellation.

I don't know what to think about Chibnall... the first two seasons of Torchwood were terrible, but the second two were good, as I just posted about, and his actual Doctor Who record ranges from good to middling to awful. I like Dinosaurs on a Spaceship but I think some of what I like about it is, oddly, Moffat touch-up. I like both 42 and the Minotaur Hotel episode okay. Power of Three is middling, but some of that may be the season. Then there's the Silurian two-parter.

Maybe I should watch Broadchurch to instill some confidence. The best parts of Torchwood would not work in Doctor Who - both of its good seasons are cynical and the triumphs of the main cast are all holding-the-nose compromises. I don't know. It's a better choice than Gatiss, anyway.

I do think it's good for the show to get a major shake-up every once in awhile. Moffat just had one of his better seasons and maybe with the extra time, he can make something that's an appropriate bookend (because he's all about bookends) for season 5, which I think was his best work on the show. Nobody can write it forever.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Okay, fess up, which one of you fucks owns a monkey's paw?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sentinel Red posted:

Okay, fess up, which one of you fucks owns a monkey's paw?

https://twitter.com/SAOccupation/status/690687614345588736

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also, with Capaldi almost certainly leaving as well, if next season's companion only stays on for season 10, it's going to be a complete reset like it was after the Tennant years. Let's hope it isn't a bumpy start!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
There's probably something wrong with me, because the first thing I though when I saw "one new episode for at least the next year and half at least" was "Oh good, more people will have to turn to Big Finish and the classic series."

And with how our 2016 election is turning out, the Thatcher-era stories are about to feel real topical in the US. The Davison Reckoning is upon us. :unsmigghh:

On that note, how goes the snow-athon, Cobi? Each story brings you one closer to The Ribos Operation!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

After The War posted:

There's probably something wrong with me, because the first thing I though when I saw "one new episode for at least the next year and half at least" was "Oh good, more people will have to turn to Big Finish and the classic series."

And with how our 2016 election is turning out, the Thatcher-era stories are about to feel real topical in the US. The Davison Reckoning is upon us. :unsmigghh:

On that note, how goes the snow-athon, Cobi? Each story brings you one closer to The Ribos Operation!

I want both Big Finish and the TV show, I'm greedy!

I've gotten to the first Big Finish trilogy features Turlough, Tegan and Nyssa. It's been fun, but Tegan's complaining is, as always, getting on my nerves.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
So now that's two years of Doctor Who that have vanished into the ether under Moffat's leadership. Maybe he'll still contribute some episodes like he did when RTD was in charge.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well that's certainly a thing. I'll agree with all who are glad to see the back of Moffat but have no confidence in Chibnall.

quote:

Explaining the decision to hold Moffat’s last series until next year, BBC1 controller Charlotte Moore said: “I have decided to schedule Steven’s big finale series in Spring 2017 to bring the nation together for what will be a huge event on the channel. 2016 is spoilt with national moments including the Euros and Olympics and I want to hold something big back for 2017 - I promise it will be worth the wait!”

Haha does anyone believe this nonsensical non explanation for a second? No new series because of the Olympics and the Euros? I wonder what Moffat spent all the money on this time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is really unhappy news - Chibnal's first season of Broadchurch is amazing but it was clear it was something he'd invested a huge amount of time into (he'd probably had the story planned for years) and season 2 immediately went off a cliff because he didn't seem to have any ideas how to continue what he started. Almost all of his stories for Who have unsuccessfully aped RTD's style without getting that spark that made RTD's stuff so much fun to watch even when it was objectively terrible - at his best on Who he's been solid/unspectacular, and now he's going to be running the whole thing.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope he pulls something magical out/proves me wrong, but based on his prior track record I'm not holding my breath :smith:

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Since everyone here seems to

No matter what words follow any sentence like this, it will always be wrong. Plenty of people liked season 9 (plenty disliked it too) but it's a fools errand to try and apply any kind of thread consensus to Doctor Who.

That said - season 8 was excellent, probably my third favorite season of the revival behind Season 5 (the best of the entire revival) and season 4 (RTD's best).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

2house2fly posted:

So now that's two years of Doctor Who that have vanished into the ether under Moffat's leadership. Maybe he'll still contribute some episodes like he did when RTD was in charge.

I hope so, as much as a lot of his stuff as showrunner annoyed me, Moffat is at his best when doing self contained stories.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The showrunner doesn't have to write half the season's episodes you know. They don't have to write an epic multi-season metastory either.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm gonna really miss Moffat too, he made plenty of missteps as showrunner but in general I thought he made it a better show than it was in the RTD years. Not a knock on RTD at all, just I preferred the show under Moffat to Rusty.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maxwell Lord posted:

I really hope that none of the nihilistic tone of Torchwood seeps into Who. That wouldn't fit very well.

I think they were just at a loss for how to make "adult" Doctor Who. Thought long and hard, and finally, "I know, I'll make one of the main characters an unrepentant rapist!"

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

What did people think of season 8? Since everyone here seems to hate season 9 and I liked it way more than 8.

Season 8 gets off to a cracking start, introducing the new characters and tweaks to the format, but 9 still has a lot to recommend it, even if it isn't quite as good. Terror of the Autons really is quite good, though, and there is little in Season 9 that matches it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
loving hell.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It'd be kind of funny if RTD came back as a writer under Chibnall. Didn't Moffat want him back?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Wahhh. Moffatt stole two season of my show!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I am going to wait and let it prove itself poo poo before I call it poo poo. I've got other things to do for two years.

Wheat Loaf posted:

As I've said before, I quite unabashedly love the first season because it reminds me of CBBC kid dramas (RTD's bread and butter before he did stuff like The Second Coming and Queer As Folk, of course) like The Demon Headmaster which I was dead keen on when I was younger.

Every time this comes up I get sad that he chose to pattern NewWho after Dark Season instead of after Century Falls.

DirtyRobot posted:

What is with Doctor Who's shooting schedule being so gruelling that it burns out experienced, talented actors

Think about a story. Any story will do. The God Complex, say. Go back and watch it and see how many scenes the Doctor is in. In terms of length of shoot, or what they shoot in the time available, it's comparable to other big event dramas, but if you compare it to e.g. how much of the show Shirtless Young Guy had to carry in Merlin, or Jonas Armstrong had to carry in Robin Hood, that's a lot of work for the lead.

Now consider how many lines there are to learn, how much of the actual acting involves Big Important Emotional Dramatic Moments. Then there's how an awful lot of the scenes involve dashing around, running up and down corridors, or standing for long periods of time while the effects department does its thing or you wait for the cloud to pass over.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Trin Tragula posted:

Think about a story. Any story will do. The God Complex, say. Go back and watch it and see how many scenes the Doctor is in. In terms of length of shoot, or what they shoot in the time available, it's comparable to other big event dramas, but if you compare it to e.g. how much of the show Shirtless Young Guy had to carry in Merlin, or Jonas Armstrong had to carry in Robin Hood, that's a lot of work for the lead.

Now consider how many lines there are to learn, how much of the actual acting involves Big Important Emotional Dramatic Moments. Then there's how an awful lot of the scenes involve dashing around, running up and down corridors, or standing for long periods of time while the effects department does its thing or you wait for the cloud to pass over.

Also, every single episode has a whole lot of supporting cast members who have never appeared before and have to be auditioned, and all of this is accomplished with a fraction of the budget of an American show.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Angela Christine posted:

I think they were just at a loss for how to make "adult" Doctor Who. Thought long and hard, and finally, "I know, I'll make one of the main characters an unrepentant rapist!"

I wrote about it earlier, but but it's that they decided that he was going to be off-putting in every way and that they would try to write a humanizing explanation as to why, at which they failed, repeatedly. And it pollutes all of the other characters, because Gwen's affair, which comes out of nowhere in the first place and is hard enough to swallow and like her, is with the rear end in a top hat they want us to like.

Noxville posted:

The showrunner doesn't have to write half the season's episodes you know. They don't have to write an epic multi-season metastory either.

This would be nice, actually.

If Moffat comes back to write, it would play to his strengths, too. He does well with strategically employed repetition, a few ideas threaded throughout the episode and a vague threat that holds them together, and a signature which is introduced at the beginning of the episode and and re-introduced at the end with a different meaning. He was maybe weaker at the bombastic, Murray Gold aspect of Doctor Who, which he can now divest to someone else.

It is very unfortunate that the person he's passing it to is Chibnall, though.

BSam posted:

Wahhh. Moffatt stole two season of my show!

This but "the BBC" and unironically. How do you have intellectual property that does this well and drop the ball so hard twice?!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

This but "the BBC" and unironically. How do you have intellectual property that does this well and drop the ball so hard twice?!

Assuming that Moffat is part of the issue - keep in mind that, to the BBC, Steven Moffat isn't just Steven Moffat, screenwriter and producer. He's Primetime Emmy AwardTM-winning screenwriter and producer Steven Moffat, the biggest-name showrunner in British television and mastermind of Sherlock and Doctor Who, their two most valuable overseas exports now that they've lost Top Gear. :D

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 23, 2016

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Wheat Loaf posted:

Assuming that Moffat is part of the issue - keep in mind that, to the BBC, Steven Moffat isn't just Steven Moffat, screenwriter and producer. He's Primetime Emmy AwardTM-winning screenwriter and producer Steven Moffat, the biggest-name showrunner in British television and mastermind of Sherlock and Doctor Who, their two most valuable overseas exports now that they've lost Top Gear. :D

Aside from the series 5 thing where he apparently went over-budget, I doubt most of the scheduling issues have much to do with Moffat. The half-seasons and everything started, after all, after series 4, which was when the show really started to blow up. I'd bet most of it is just growing pains from a show that has become an unlikely global hit. I mean, has the BBC ever had anything as popular as Doctor Who? All the other stuff that seems to cross the pond are just costume dramas with a production cost of basically zero since there are BBC warehouses full of Victorian clothing.

When you're watching an episode of Doctor who absolutely nothing about it screams, "Oh, that looks like it was easy to make."

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I haven't enjoyed the show since the first Matt Smith year so maybe the new guy can bring something a little different. I loved Broadchurch.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

After The War posted:

My stepdaughter has had the past two days off due to school closures while I had to work, so she's been binging HARD on Arrow to catch up so she can watch it with her Mom. She refuses to budge. I had to actually bribe her to give me half-an-hour to watch this week's Always Sunny for which I am ETERNALLY thankful, both because it was hysterical and because she wasn't in the room during the "saxophone" scene...

If I'm lucky I can wake up early tomorrow and sneak in The Hand of Fear.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Oh my, that's a lot of posts. Who's said something controversial I wonder if anyone bought me a BRCT for my Zygon posts oh god

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

And More posted:

I find the first seven episodes of series one completely unwatchable. The second half is okay, but Rose drags the finale down with her.

Counterpoint: Aliens of London is great

Trin Tragula posted:

Every time this comes up I get sad that he chose to pattern NewWho after Dark Season instead of after Century Falls.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Counterpoint: Aliens of London is great

• Locked thread