Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I don't know if this is the best place to ask this or if these even exist, but I'm looking for a small device that can be tapped into wire circuit that I can then complete the circuit using a wireless remote. My reason for wanting this is our dog associates our old doorbell with strangers around and starts going nuts and is extremely aggressive. I wanted to try to condition her to where she doesn't associate the new doorbell we got with strangers again, since right now she doesn't.

Does this kind of thing even exist or something like it that will achieve the job I want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I don't know if this is the best place to ask this or if these even exist, but I'm looking for a small device that can be tapped into wire circuit that I can then complete the circuit using a wireless remote. My reason for wanting this is our dog associates our old doorbell with strangers around and starts going nuts and is extremely aggressive. I wanted to try to condition her to where she doesn't associate the new doorbell we got with strangers again, since right now she doesn't.

Does this kind of thing even exist or something like it that will achieve the job I want?
I don't know of anything hardwired into a circuit, and I also don't know of anything with a native wireless interface, but with a little web server programming you could easily make a page you serve yourself and can load up on a smartphone to control one of WTI's switched PDU's or remote power switches. They're nice products, I've worked with them before. https://www.wti.com

Minus Pants
Jul 18, 2004
You're looking for a remote control relay. The doorbell switch circuit is probably low voltage, so you could tie this into it in parallel to the doorbell button (first one I found on Amazon, no idea about quality): http://www.amazon.com/Button-Wireless-Control-Receiver-Controller/dp/B00JL3J594/

Just make sure the voltage and current rating of the relay are greater than the doorbell circuit.

Edit: See also the electronics megathread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977

Minus Pants fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 23, 2016

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
$2 relay and a $5 raspberry pi is all you need

• Locked thread