Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Most I've been able to determine about ff explorers is that it handles like a lite version of FFXI which is great for broke brained idiots like me but probably not for most other people

Some other people have mentioned that the negative Japanese reviewers have some weird bias against it because it's not exactly like monster hunter but that's how it was marketed there? I dunno, as a former XI addict I'm looking forward to at least trying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
they decided not to release the demo in america because it made japanese people not buy it so guessing it sucks.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Baal posted:

That makes it better than a game no one can say literally anything about

"It is a bad game that has lovely new characters and a garbage aiming and camera"

Is more than

"I dunno, no one seems to be talking about it."

That's not really much of a compelling argument. By that logic Explorers is probably worse as a financial investment, sure, but as a game it's completely harmless and inconsequential because nobody is playing it because it seems to be really mediocre. Dirge is bad. Really really bad. Laughably bad.

0 is a bigger number than negative one billion

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If your idea of how much value a game is worth is how good it is, then that's a really boring way to think.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Ff8 is a bad game. Some might say, the worst game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Indecisive posted:

It had very good music so there is at least one very good thing about it, which is more than I can say about some games.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 22, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am going to play FFE and I will tell you how it is. The answer is "probably a bland but average Monster Hunter clone" based off what I've heard though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I think I'm done with Dissidia Duodecim. At this point, every enemy is level 123 which is dumb and I don't want to deal with it. Apparently the best strategy is to equip some accessory with lv gap >90 and set your guy to lv 1, but to make that accessory you have to randomly get a rare item on the 5th floor of a super hard gateway and that's just stupid. I think I'll start Crisis Core instead.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Indecisive posted:

I like the music and world design and the game has cool ideas I wish it could've built on properly. It's also got cool characters like Seifer's whole squad, Triple Triad, Laguna and Co. and even Squall becomes a cool character in like Dissidia and KH.

It's a bad game, but I appreciate it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I think I'm done with Dissidia Duodecim. At this point, every enemy is level 123 which is dumb and I don't want to deal with it. Apparently the best strategy is to equip some accessory with lv gap >90 and set your guy to lv 1, but to make that accessory you have to randomly get a rare item on the 5th floor of a super hard gateway and that's just stupid. I think I'll start Crisis Core instead.

Good choice, Crisis Core is good, but in the end/post game, looking back on it, it's similar to that aspect you disliked in Dissidia. Not completely the same, but similar. I'll tell you this now so you don't forget, but do not under any circumstances gently caress with All-Cure, or Cure-All, or whatever it's name is. The materia that fully heals you. You get, like, 3 of them, and 2 of them you can synthesize to make Curaga, which is weird because Curaga is straight up inferior to that materia, and getting the materia back is a huge pain in the rear end. Maybe it's name was Full-Heal? I don't remember. Point is, if you find a materia that says anything along the lines of "heals 100% HP" don't try to synthesize it for something better, it's already the best.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

pretty soft girl posted:

Most I've been able to determine about ff explorers is that it handles like a lite version of FFXI which is great for broke brained idiots like me but probably not for most other people

Some other people have mentioned that the negative Japanese reviewers have some weird bias against it because it's not exactly like monster hunter but that's how it was marketed there? I dunno, as a former XI addict I'm looking forward to at least trying it.

From what I've gathered a lot of people were expecting Monster Hunter in the sense of missions taking <30 mins to complete but ended up dealing with really long quests that only start appearing in the endgame.

I'm picking it up because I saw it described elsewhere as having XIV-lite combat with an XI-scoped maps and I'm the kind of idiot this description appeals to.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 22, 2016

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

pretty soft girl posted:

The general consensus in Japan was that FFE that was low budget attempt in a genre with a lot of quality alternatives, such as Monster Hunter and Phantasy Star Online. It didn't stand out much going for it other than having Final Fantasy characters, most of which were drawn by junior artists, and a port for FF1 for the 3DS as a pre-order bonus. Imagine Sacred 3 going up against Diablo 3 or Path of Exile.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I am again in need of FFXIII help/clarification.

I'm doing all those Pulse sidequests I skipped my first time through the game and I'm doing kinda alright. After combing over the parts of the Expanse I can get to and some parts of the Massif last night I had 120,000 CP and that helped a lot in making every fight that much simpler. I also upgraded some of my weapons., mainly Vanille's Belladona Wand which is now Level 8 and Hope's Hawkeye which is Level 4. I got Snow with the Power Circle but I haven't upgraded it at all.

I say all that for a couple reasons
1. I just did a few Cieth Stones and got a trophy for it, some Cup or whatever. However my main concern is the last stone i did was the two sets ofgremlins. I forgetwhat they are called...Vurbolet and some other thing maybe? Anyway it seems like you gotta kill them in a specific order which took me awhile to figure out. Long story short, I got zero stars. I give zero fucks. I just want to know how target time is determined? I hear it's scaled somehow.

2. Should I just Dismantlel the weapons I have no intention of using? Like the one for Snow that boosts his Strength. I mean, really? It's almost as dumb as the one for Snow that boosts his magic but makes him physically weaker.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Your main influence on the target time is your strength/magic so if it ever becomes unreasonably low (maybe you decide late in the game that you want to go for the all-5* hunts achievement, and the first one is out of time before you even get control) it's possible to squeeze out a few more seconds by changing your equipment.

From the Game Mechanics FAQ:
code:
   Target Time = [(Enemy Strength) / (Party Member Strength)] + 8

Target Time has a max limit of 10 hours and a minimum of 12 seconds for 
   the first enemy and 4 seconds for each additional enemy. The Gold Watch 
   accessory, if equipped on a character who did not die in battle, will 
   multiply the Target Time by 1.1

Enemy Strength
       ==============
       Enemy Strength is calculated as the following:

[(HP at the start of Battle) x (enemy level)] / 16

This value is calculated for each enemy and then all of the values 
       are taken as a sum to obtain "Enemy Strength". In the case that the 
       enemy's level is above 50, it is calculated as (Enemy Level - 50).

Party Member Strength
       =====================
       Party Member Strength is calculated as the following:  

[(Attack power x ATB Level) / (3.5 + ATB Level)]

Where "attack power" is the highest value between either magic attack 
       or physical attack. This value is calculated for each party member and 
       then all of the values are taken as a sum to obtain "Party Member 
       Strength".

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 22, 2016

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Is the FF8 steam version the best version? I heard it has some music/sound issues? I did enjoy the high-res FF7 models in the steam version.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

THE DANIELNATOR posted:

Is the FF8 steam version the best version? I heard it has some music/sound issues? I did enjoy the high-res FF7 models in the steam version.

The FF8 steam version has the poo poo, poo poo, poo poo midi version of the tracks. There is a mod that quickly and painlessly adds the higher-quality full orchestra tracks and it is an absolute must install. FF8 may not be peoples favorite FF story or mechanics, but the soundtrack is great across the board.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Thanks for the information. It looks like its the roses and wine sound mod. Gonna try to beat it without junction abuse stuff.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's not abuse to use Junctions, they're a - hell, the game mechanic. It's just cheesy methods of getting better than average spells to Junction and refusing to level up.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Indecisive posted:

That's my favorite though! I love the hell out of that game, flaws and all. I never min/maxed the junction system though and just played it regular.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing wrong but gently caress this game. i can five star big tough bastards but throw these a lot of these little shitheads at me and I can't win. I guess you're supposed to be able to kill them before they summon a monster to help them? Well I can't. I kill them as fast as I can but it's not fast enough. Another Cieth Stone, another bunch of loving trash, another 2 minutes over time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

THE DANIELNATOR posted:

Thanks for the information. It looks like its the roses and wine sound mod. Gonna try to beat it without junction abuse stuff.

To be clear, Junction is literally the primary game mechanic in FF8. Leveling is completely secondary in terms of determining your characters strength behind junctioning. In fact, the only way people have a hard time with the game is when they try to play it as a regular FF game and just ignore junctioning entirely and try to coast on levels.

The tips given above are just some of the most cost-effective ways to break it, but even just playing the game normally and drawing from equivalently leveled foes will keep you ahead of the power curve.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing wrong but gently caress this game. i can five star big tough bastards but throw these a lot of these little shitheads at me and I can't win. I guess you're supposed to be able to kill them before they summon a monster to help them? Well I can't. I kill them as fast as I can but it's not fast enough. Another Cieth Stone, another bunch of loving trash, another 2 minutes over time.

ff13 is bad

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gotta agree here.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I didn't want to ask here because it's a bit touchy and I've already caught flak for being dumb about this, but I'm trying to patch XII IZJS from my PAL copy and it's hanging at type_05 with a 700 MB file. I tried Googling and all I could fine was a page in the patch thread with others asking the same thing with no answer. Has anyone else here encountered or even overcome this?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I like FFXIII. It's a complete clusterfuck of a game, taped together at the last minute by people who had no idea what they were doing, but that's just part of it's charm.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

AlphaKretin posted:

I didn't want to ask here because it's a bit touchy and I've already caught flak for being dumb about this, but I'm trying to patch XII IZJS from my PAL copy and it's hanging at type_05 with a 700 MB file. I tried Googling and all I could fine was a page in the patch thread with others asking the same thing with no answer. Has anyone else here encountered or even overcome this?

I swear to nothing, but I seem to recall that you need to use a U.S. version of the XII .iso. The isos for different versions are different sizes, and the patch is only designed to work with the one type.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Schwartzcough posted:

I swear to nothing, but I seem to recall that you need to use a U.S. version of the XII .iso. The isos for different versions are different sizes, and the patch is only designed to work with the one type.

It's got known issues in the readme for patches based off the PAL version, so that can't be it.

E: Oh god people on psx-scene post like loving morons it's hard to read :negative: Supposedly running it off a USB will help but I don't own a 16GB USB.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 23, 2016

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
You don't grind levels to power up in FFVIII because the stats you get from levels are minimal. You grind other things like cards and enemy drops which you turn into stats. The abuse of the junction system comes into play when you know exactly which parts of the game drop the cards/items that can get you absurd spells really early to power up super fast. It also doesn't help that FFVIII generally has anti-difficulty in grinding in the traditional sense where the enemies get stronger, but it'd still be super easy if you knew exactly what to refine.

To compare it more to other FF's, it's like if you could get stuff like the 2X-Cut or Contain Materia in FFVII or a giant horde of Warp Spheres in FFX within 2 hours of starting the game by knowing exactly which NPC to talk to and play a minigame against for 10 minutes.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Some might say, the worst game.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I finally completed Chapter 2 in FFX-2.

Baralai is an rear end in a top hat, I wasn't expecting one of his attacks to drain all my MP AND inflicting Stop. :suicide:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Txn posted:

Baralai is an rear end in a top hat, I wasn't expecting one of his attacks to drain all my MP AND inflicting Stop. :suicide:

Did you leave your PS3/4 on for 50 hours (I think I got all the X-2 trophies in 65 hours then had to do Last Mission)

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Did you leave your PS3/4 on for 50 hours (I think I got all the X-2 trophies in 65 hours then had to do Last Mission)
PS Vita, and no. I spent 64 hours doing side missions, completing Fiend Tales (plus arena stuff) and getting killed in the battle simulator because "Man, I wonder what I can steal from this monster".

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ApplesandOranges posted:

Which protaganist has the highest direct kill-count that aren't random battles anyway? Terra's on the board, but then there is Cloud/Barret with the No. 1 reactor.

This is late but Celes would be up there, even if we only count her torching Maranda and don't consider how many people she had probably killed on her way up the ranks to becoming a general.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Txn posted:

The first time I played X-2, that last Leblanc fight was murder. That combo attack hurt a lot.

Granted, I also ignored optional events, so that was my fault. :v:

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

NikkolasKing posted:

Is this the Adroa/Verdelet mission (#4)? Let's see these guys are resistant or immune to all elements, have really low stagger points, and very little HP. Lots of little weak enemies is one of the two reasons to use Cerberus (COM/COM/COM). Not only that but with the resistances to elements.

Just Blitz in and Ruin(ga) their day.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The first time I played X-2, that last Leblanc fight was murder. That combo attack hurt a lot.
Don't remind me, they killed me three times until I just went "gently caress it" and used 1000 Needles against them.

I like this game. It's fun.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's a good game

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

X-2 is a good and fun game it's just that it's all over the place and some of the bad parts are really bad.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Going through FFXII, and is there only supposed to be only one shrine activated in the Edge of Reason? Followed the instructions, went through the illusion area, and that's all that's activated. The gate in the lower left won't open, not even with Belias active.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

X-2 is a great game and probably in or at least almost in my top 3.