Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

:siren:SEASON 2 STARTS WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 27:siren:

SEASON ONE SIZZLE REEL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GAnIuBKuLo
SEASON TWO OFFICIAL TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOaZ2tbDhis

How can I watch?

Lucha Underground is broadcast on the El Rey Network. El Rey is a hilarious network that shows mostly grindhouse films, films about cars, kung fu films, and old Miami Vice reruns, along with a couple of terrible original series and Lucha Underground.
  • If your cable provider has the El Rey Network, you can watch it there.
  • :siren: NEW 2/29/16: You can now watch Lucha Underground via iTunes! If you support the show but haven't had a legit way to watch until now, it would be super-rad if you picked up even a few episodes just to show your support. Like go get Grave Consequences and Aztec Warfare and Ultima Lucha because you know those are all great! Season One: https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/lucha-underground-season-1/id1082063321 Season Two: https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/lucha-underground-season-2/id1082064865
  • You can stream El Rey along with a bunch of other stations on Sling.com. Sling offers a free 7-day trial subscription. Sling also lets you watch stuff later than it airs if you cannot catch it when it airs. Sling is $20 a month.
  • Soccer-centric streaming service http://fubo.tv has El Rey for $9.99. If you didn't want to pay $20 for Sling, and don't care about the other channels Sling has (or want to watch ALL the soccers) this may be a good deal for you. It also now has a bunch of stations in Spanish. Fubo offers a 24-hour trial subscription. Fubo doesn't have the "watch anything from the past three days" bit that Sling does, but it does offer an online-DVR capability, so you can set an episode to record and watch it later.
  • If you live in Canada, apparently Lucha Underground will be broadcast on TLN TV starting January 30: http://tlntv.com/shows/lucha-underground - stand by to see if this indicates broader distribution about to happen elsewhere. EDIT: from what I've heard, TLN started with Season One this year. So if you are watching there, you'll be way behind what we are discussing in-thread
  • If you live in France, and get a channel called Action (?) it is available on that!
  • Apparently Season One is now airing in Indonesia? And I've heard talk of other various small providers in other countries. Check your local listings.

Why should I watch Lucha Underground?

Lucha Underground has incredible performers doing crazy poo poo in front of a hot crowd. There's lots of exciting high spots and violence. Despite having some bizarre characters, the stories are generally grounded, consistent, simple, and make emotional sense, sometimes over a very long story arc. It has some of the best and most recognizable "indie" wrestlers in the world today, some of the most athletic stars from Mexican wrestling promotions like AAA, and some guys you even may recognize if all you've ever watched is WWE.

Lucha Underground doesn't try to copy the WWE style and presentation like every other promotion. While WWE attempts to mimic the presentation of an actual sporting event like a boxing or MMA match, LU has acknowledged that it is a television show about a fictional wrestling promotion. Backstage segments are filmed in television or movie style, with multiple cameras and the idea that we are seeing this just as the omnipresent viewer and not because a cameraman is right up in the wrestlers' faces. Because of this, we get to see all the seedy backroom deals and/or murders without it being out of character. The production values are extremely high, with the matches shot by eight cameras at a time and expertly edited. Robert Rodriguez launched the El Rey Network and was at a season two taping (and actually grabbed a camera at one point to do some shooting himself), he clearly has a mandate for this to have a cinematic feel and it shows in the product.

Crowds are always going nuts, and wrestlers will do flippy poo poo off of high objects and they have the best ring announcer in the business.

I don't like foreign promotions because I don't understand what is going on.

You're in luck! Lucha Underground is broadcast with English commentary and even the promos are either in English or subtitled.

Is this a gameday thread? Can I post spoilers in this thread?

Sure, gameday away, unless it becomes so unwieldy that we start making weekly threads (I doubt it). Please do not post spoilers. In the Season 2 Hype thread we posted some casting spoilers, but I'd like to keep this spoiler-free if we can. There really shouldn't be anything new to spoil casting-wise until Season 3 starts filming anyway.

I didn't watch Season One, how can I catch up?

iTunes is your best option. Unfortunately, right now, there is no disc set of all of Season One. However:
  • :siren:THIS WEEKEND there is a 40 hour marathon of the whole first season on El Rey, starting 10 AM Eastern Saturday Morning (SO IT'S ON RIGHT NOW) until it's over. BIIINGE:siren: - you done missed this already
  • If you just want to catch up on where storylines were at the end of the Season One, check the first three posts of the old Ultima Lucha Thread (LU's end-of-season Wrestlemania-ish event) here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3733624&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 to explain the storylines going into the show and then you can watch Ultima Lucha here: (part 1) (part 2) (part 3)
  • If you don't have that much time, here's Matt Striker giving an 8 minute recap of Season One: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am0TDGScqBU. It's a little scattershot, and glosses over a few things here and there, but it introduces the main characters and big storylines.

Nobody got time to be watching any of that. Just give me Season 1 in a nutshell, puto.

See the next post.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
SEASON ONE BULLETPOINT RECAP

• Our hero, Prince Puma, held the Lucha Underground Championship for the entire season after it was introduced. But, at Ultima Lucha (LU's Wrestlemania), Mil Muertes, accompanied by his manager Catrina (think heel Undertaker and a very pretty female Paul Bearer, respectively), defeated Puma in a hard fought match to claim the title.
  • Mil Muertes' Disciples of Death defeated plucky dysfunctional underdog heroes Son of Havoc, Ivelisse, and Angelico, in part because Ivelisse was injured and on crutches, to claim the Trios Championship.
  • This left Mil Muertes' faction with all the gold, except for one important exception, The Gift of the Gods belt. The Gift of the Gods required seven ancient Aztec medallions to be placed into it for it to be "powered up." Once that happened, the holder of the Gift of the Gods can cash it in for a title shot, with one weeks' notice required. At Ultima Lucha, Fenix won the Gift of the Gods in a 7-way match. Fenix is one of the few who have had any success against Mil Muertes, defeating him in the Grave Consequences coffin match, after which Mil resurrected even more powerful than before and defeated Fenix in a Deathmatch. But now, with the Gift of the Gods, can Fenix, the avatar of life and rebirth, defeat Mil Muertes, the personification of death?
  • Throughout Season One, Pentagon Jr. broke defeated luchadors' arms as a sacrifice to his Dark Master. Near the end of the season, he set his sights on color announcer and former wrestler Vampiro. After defeating Vampiro in brutal fashion at Ultima Lucha, he broke Vampiro's arm. At that point, Vampiro revealed that he had been Pentagon's hidden Master all along, and that Pentagon had passed his final test.
  • Dario Cueto, the owner and promoter of Lucha Underground, had his brother, the Monster Matanza Cueto (never yet seen on screen), locked up in the basement of the Temple in a cage all season. Black Lotus, who had been trained by Dragon Azteca was on a mission to kill Matanza because Matanza killed her parents. However, Dario managed to capture Black Lotus and imprison her in the basement with the help of Chavo Guerrero Jr. Dragon Azteca came to rescue Black Lotus, but Dario had convinced Black Lotus that it was Azteca who killed her parents, not Matanza. When Azteca showed up, Lotus killed him, which was apparently more than Dario expected because it seemed that this broke some ancient treaty and war was coming and at the end of the episode nearly everyone was shown fleeing the Temple. Yes, this all happened on a wrestling show.
  • Creepy guy Marty "The Moth" Martinez had been feuding with Sexy Star, at first because she had the Moth Medallion for the Gift of the Gods belt but subsequently just because she beat him and made him look like a fool. As everyone else was fleeing the Temple, Marty was shown to have captured and tied up Sexy Star, and was laughing maniacally, saying "Wait until you meet my sister!"
LESS STORYLINE RELATED:
  • Giant ball of muscles Brian Cage beat cool fat dude Willy Mack by putting his fuckin head through a cinderblock.
  • Literal dragon man Drago beat Hernandez in a match where fans got to beat Hernandez with leather straps but that doesn't really matter now since Hernandez is gone.
  • Johnny Mundo beat Alberto El Patron to end their feud but that doesn't really matter now since Alberto went back to WWE to become a part of Mexamerica and/or the League of Nations.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 25, 2016

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!
Seeing as how it's the week of the premiere, I feel like I should say something: You might not believe me, but I have been working on this season of Lucha Underground. I've signed NDAs out the wazoo, so I cannot say much of anything other than this is the most fun I've ever had working on a television show, and I'm incredibly proud to work with such a cool and dedicated team on such a killer product. I feel like I've spent most of my paychecks buying merch during shoot days in order to represent the show in public (It's nice. We get a 40% discount at the merch stand.).

I'm biased, but, this season is gonna be awesome.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

StarkRavingMad posted:

If none of these options are available to you, most of the usual streaming sites show LU. But please, please, please, if you have any legit way to watch it, do that. Although Seasons 2 and maybe 3 are currently being taped, the promotion still needs as many "official" eyes on it as possible to continue. Keep in mind that LU does not sell tickets to its shows or PPVs, so viewership numbers are all it has. If you have no other choice, find a way to watch it and support the show in whatever way you can (go buy a t-shirt or just spread the word). The producers have acknowledged in interviews that some people have no other way to watch and they appreciate you doing what you can in whatever way you can.

I'm one of the people that falls into this category, I've tried getting FUBO to work in the UK but no luck and the lack of a "catch-up" option put's me off it's a shame as I'd love El Rey's programming, I've been tempted to buy merch but the main store doesn't ship to the UK and the PWT designs just aren't as good.
I'm going to Wrestlemania this year so I'm hoping that something will be available at Wrestlecon where a few of the performer's are signing.

Super hyped for season 2, I can't wait to see the continued relationship between Pentagon Jr and Vampiro, and I really want to know who/what Dario's brother is (please be Goro..... or at least have 4 arms)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

AKA Driver posted:

Seeing as how it's the week of the premiere, I feel like I should say something: You might not believe me, but I have been working on this season of Lucha Underground. I've signed NDAs out the wazoo, so I cannot say much of anything other than this is the most fun I've ever had working on a television show, and I'm incredibly proud to work with such a cool and dedicated team on such a killer product. I feel like I've spent most of my paychecks buying merch during shoot days in order to represent the show in public (It's nice. We get a 40% discount at the merch stand.).

I'm biased, but, this season is gonna be awesome.

That's awesome. I was talking to one of their production assistants at one of the tapings (he was just in the crowd watching the show) and he seemed to have a similarly high opinion of things. And the wrestlers are usually talking about how professional management is and how the locker room morale is high. I guess it's just nice to hear about a wrestling company where everything isn't a huge pile of dicks behind the scenes.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

AKA Driver posted:

You might not believe me, but I have been working on this season of Lucha Underground.

me too(I'm Robert Rodriguez)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

AKA Driver posted:

I feel like I've spent most of my paychecks buying merch during shoot days in order to represent the show in public

In this situation, shoot days are the same as work days. That's funny to me.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

StarkRavingMad posted:

Lucha Underground doesn't try to copy the WWE style and presentation like every other promotion. While WWE attempts to mimic the presentation of an actual sporting event like a boxing or MMA match, LU has acknowledged that it is a television show about a fictional wrestling promotion. Backstage segments are filmed in television or movie style, with multiple cameras and the idea that we are seeing this just as the omnipresent viewer and not because a cameraman is right up in the wrestlers' faces. Because of this, we get to see all the seedy backroom deals and/or murders without it being out of character.

I feel this bears repeating for new viewers. It's like Robert Rodriguez presents Aztec legends through the lens of an underground fight club. Somehow this venue attracted a zombie, a spaceship, a dragon, and a bunch of skeletons, one of whom is a ninja.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

sticklefifer posted:

I feel this bears repeating for new viewers. It's like Robert Rodriguez presents Aztec legends through the lens of an underground fight club. Somehow this venue attracted a zombie, a spaceship, a dragon, and a bunch of skeletons, one of whom is a ninja.

LU is basically everything I've ever wanted out of wrestling since I first saw Glacier in WCW and Undertaker in WWF as a child. I never wanted sports, I wanted Street Fighter come to life.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

sticklefifer posted:

It lets them go a lot farther with things with it still making sense. Like in promotions where the backstage camera is a thing, there's that suspension of disbelief you have to do about "why is this guy openly talking about betraying his partner with a camera three feet from his face?"

Since the "backstage camera" doesn't exist here, there's none of that. They do a good job keeping that consistent, with even the announcers not knowing what goes on outside the ring. But it lets them take stories to some crazy levels. For those that didn't watch Season One, they straight up murdered a wrestler off the show. Pour one out for my homie Bael, because he's loving DEAD.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
M A T A N Z A

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

sticklefifer posted:

The way I describe the show is Mortal Kombat meets Wrestling Society X meets WMAC Masters meets a telenovela.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004

Gavok posted:

The way I describe the show is Mortal Kombat meets Wrestling Society X meets WMAC Masters meets a telenovela.

I keep pitching that we should start matches with Dario yelling "Ninjas....ENGAGE!", but no takers yet.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Dario is so good that he doesn't even need an elaborate catchphrase, because he got "RING THE BELL" over as a catchphrase.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Benne posted:

Dario is so good that he doesn't even need an elaborate catchphrase, because he got "RING THE BELL" over as a catchphrase.

Counterpoint - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlc6OT1OHfM

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Glad to see I'm not the only one whose love of Lucha Underground is partially inspired by a nostalgia for WMAC Masters.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

I'm also a big fan of "ANYTHING GOES"

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Glad to see I'm not the only one whose love of Lucha Underground is partially inspired by a nostalgia for WMAC Masters.

I hope they steal the "We're best friends and he promised to never use his killer finishing move on me BUT HE DID" angle

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Pour one out for my homie Bael, because he's loving DEAD.

Which is a shame, because B-Boy is way better than the other two guys in the Crew.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I am SO MAD my cable package doesn't get El Rey, you have no idea.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

fatherdog posted:

I am SO MAD my cable package doesn't get El Rey, you have no idea.

same

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The first season marathon is starting RIGHT NOW on El Rey and going on for the next 40 hours.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The best part of Matanza eating Bael's face was the Mack live-tweeting it.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

The first season marathon is starting RIGHT NOW on El Rey and going on for the next 40 hours.

I just got fubo.tv so I'll test it out over the weekend. So far it looks awesome.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

And Jack Evans cosplaying as Teddy Hart.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

StarkRavingMad posted:

Since the "backstage camera" doesn't exist here, there's none of that. They do a good job keeping that consistent, with even the announcers not knowing what goes on outside the ring.

Something I love is that you'll see a backstage segment where Dario will say something like,"I am going to give Johnny Mundo a title shot if he beats his opponent...... and his three partners in a 4-on-1 handicap match :devil:" and then later in the show the ring announcer will say,"In this match, Johnny Mundo must defeat his opponent.... and his three partners in a 4-on-1 handicap match!" and the crowd is shocked and angry because they didn't see all this backstage heeling. That was purely for the benefit of the TV audience, and now the crowd are being informed which is ALSO for the benefit of the TV audience.

In other words, LU is great.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I'm upgrading my TV package just so I can get El Rey. After watching season one of the past few weeks, I can't imagine not watching season two live as it happens. It is truly everything I have ever wanted in a wrestling promotion.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

That's awesome. I was talking to one of their production assistants at one of the tapings (he was just in the crowd watching the show) and he seemed to have a similarly high opinion of things. And the wrestlers are usually talking about how professional management is and how the locker room morale is high. I guess it's just nice to hear about a wrestling company where everything isn't a huge pile of dicks behind the scenes.

It's true, though. I was really concerned going into working there that there might be a bunch of poo poo happening, having followed wrestling for years and hearing different stories of talent being lovely to production or vice versa. But, all of the talent and production is super nice and just excited about putting on a great show. And then it shows in the crowd, who are always amped.

I think one of my favorite parts of the tapings is when the legal department reads a disclaimer before we shoot, warning the crowd about the use loud music, smoke machines, light effects and the possibility of exposure to bodily fluids. When she hits the phrase "bodily fluids," that crowd erupts in huge cheers. Every. Single. Time. It's great.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

AKA Driver posted:

It's true, though. I was really concerned going into working there that there might be a bunch of poo poo happening, having followed wrestling for years and hearing different stories of talent being lovely to production or vice versa. But, all of the talent and production is super nice and just excited about putting on a great show. And then it shows in the crowd, who are always amped.

I think one of my favorite parts of the tapings is when the legal department reads a disclaimer before we shoot, warning the crowd about the use loud music, smoke machines, light effects and the possibility of exposure to bodily fluids. When she hits the phrase "bodily fluids," that crowd erupts in huge cheers. Every. Single. Time. It's great.

At the tapings I was at, she made sure to pause dramatically before the 'bodily fluids' part.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

C. Everett Koop posted:

And Jack Evans cosplaying as Teddy Hart.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I really like Striker's weirdness when I watched an hour of it every week. Watching it for hours straight is really painful. I am glad he reigns in some of his perviness as the season goes on.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

jim truds posted:

I really like Striker's weirdness when I watched an hour of it every week. Watching it for hours straight is really painful. I am glad he reigns in some of his perviness as the season goes on.

Except for the part about having a midget fetish, that's integral to Striker's character.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I can't loving wait to have this show back in my life.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The fear that the show was done was horrible, and I'm glad that we don't have to worry about that for 1.5 more years at least. Bring on season 2 and 3 :woop:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I can. not. wait. until Wednesday.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Guys, what if Cage literally is a machine?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Roid Machine.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Gavok posted:

Guys, what if Cage literally is a machine?

They call him Cage because he is a machine. The reason that he is referred to as Cage is due to the fact that he is a machine. He's a machine, so they call him Cage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

He's actually the rocketship.

• Locked thread