Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

they are selling limited jpegs again but they did not announce it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

All hail the fourth stimpire!

*inserts razor in peehole*

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

With this logic, the time-in-development counter is reset for every new studio or office they open.

Sandi, you know what to do.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

MeLKoR posted:

:siren: The Chris Report :siren:

From day one I never got this adulation for Chris Roberts. I mean, compare two games that came out in 1993, X-Wing and WC:Privateer. Both games were limited by the same hardware so the differences in cockpit views come from either terrible design choices or a terrible game engine.

1993 X-Wing

1993 X-Wing

http://www.emperorshammer.org/to/files/wiki/xvt_cheat_sheet.pdf

In the X-wing games you could go full external mode, and remove the 2D overlay of the cockpit.
Could you do this in any of Chris's games?

Can you do it in Star Citizen when flying?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

drat Dirty Ape posted:

All hail the fourth stimpire!

*inserts razor in peehole*

Are you ready to perform your many Stimpire mandated penectomies today, Doctor? Well too bad, because today is the day that the whole hospital has to go to the "People-Masher" and get mechanically ground into Hospital-Paste.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia7HYqtMSng

:psyduck:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

What gets me is that the post is completely wrong in almost every way.

The cult has a very bad habit of posting complete bullshit and made up information as if it were factual. I mean, it's not even began with "I think" they consistently post things that they know they are making up.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

It's always a laugh how they absolutely adamantly refuse to allow other games' development to be counted the same as they do for SC or vice versa.

So E:D has taken 14 years to form its current iteration (no idea where he got that number, presumably from some “early mention”). That means SC has taken at least 15 (from Freelancer) — although 18 years is probably a better number since 1997 was when he first conceived on the idea, and when his first failed attempt got started.

E:D's first skunkworks tinkering happened in 2009 and would get some proper attention after The Outsider was completed — instead, The Outsider was abandoned in 2011. By that measure, SC has taken at least 4 years (according to Chris; he was probably shopping it around a fair bit before that). Coincidentally, the first mention of trying to get funding for E:D was in 2011, the same time Chris claims he started looking at getting SC funded — both went for KS a year later.

If we're counting the age of COBRA engine from its first inception (1998), then we should count the roots of Cryengine (1999).

The noise about “full development” is just idiotic, seeing as how the SC team has been almost twice the size in the past — no rebates for getting up to speed. Oh, and at least three of the development houses were already up and running, same as the one Braben used.

Oh… and let's not forget that one of these games has actually been released and has been out for over a year. Even if we grant the full 4 years between Outsider being cancelled and E:D getting released, SC is still not even in an bug-testing capable alpha state 4 years after its funding campaign ended (5 years after Chris started tinkering). The “6-person team with no studio” was what they had in 2011, and that's assuming Erin didn't get on-board from the get-go.

Idiots.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 23, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faQZLD4o1xE

Animations~

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

Which would also explain all the things she is doing wrong at CIG, since marine biology normally doesn't really prepare you for management and stuff.

But ben... whales... fat people.....

Hnnnnggghhhhhhhhh

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

I'm the ground textures taking 20 minutes to load in.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sillybones posted:

I'm the ground textures taking 20 minutes to load in.

Only if I can be the LOD issue on the ship

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

EminusSleepus posted:

b..but the value of my limited edition jpeg :negative:

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

As I have stated already. Whilst endlessly tinkering with the cryengine and constantly rewriting it to accomadate whatever whim Croberts has in mind on any given day. Imperium engineers accidently discovered how to manipulate space time continuem . This means in effect, that starcitizen hasn't actually started development yet.
This is perfectly logical and normal in the minds of most cultists and gives Chris a lot of pre pre pre vertical slice, proof of concept wiggle room before they begin to consider doubting stuff ....like time.......

Clueless cunts

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

lol, spot the changes.

http://imgur.com/a/CRLrg

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Any reason why the lighting on the ships 'dance' when they rotate?
Or just lovely coding.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Any reason why the lighting on the ships 'dance' when they rotate?
Or just lovely coding.

Immersion obviously.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Daztek posted:

lol, spot the changes.

To be fair now, one is looking at something that emits light, other isn't.
Point it at the same thing, or a sun in 2.1.1, lighting effects may be the same.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
This shows what an idle, pilotless ship does when left sitting on the pad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVUFKhibaHk

Texture pop in for object 20 feet away is normal for a pre-pre-pre-alpha, right?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Don't worry guys, the physics simulation is on lock though. It's supposed to do that :gary:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Looks like 2.1.1 has more blue HUD lines to clutter the view for no sane or sensible reason.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tippis posted:

It's always a laugh how they absolutely adamantly refuse to allow other games' development to be counted the same as they do for SC or vice versa.

So E:D has taken 14 years to form its current iteration (no idea where he got that number, presumably from some “early mention”). That means SC has taken at least 15 (from Freelancer) — although 18 years is probably a better number since 1997 was when he first conceived on the idea, and when his first failed attempt got started.

E:D's first skunkworks tinkering happened in 2009 and would get some proper attention after The Outsider was completed — instead, The Outsider was abandoned in 2011. By that measure, SC has taken at least 4 years (according to Chris; he was probably shopping it around a fair bit before that). Coincidentally, the first mention of trying to get funding for E:D was in 2011, the same time Chris claims he started looking at getting SC funded — both went for KS a year later.

If we're counting the age of COBRA engine from its first inception (1998), then we should count the roots of Cryengine (1999).

The noise about “full development” is just idiotic, seeing as how the SC team has been almost twice the size in the past — no rebates for getting up to speed. Oh, and at least three of the development houses were already up and running, same as the one Braben used.

Oh… and let's not forget that one of these games has actually been released and has been out for over a year. Even if we grant the full 4 years between Outsider being cancelled and E:D getting released, SC is still not even in an bug-testing capable alpha state 4 years after its funding campaign ended (5 years after Chris started tinkering). The “6-person team with no studio” was what they had in 2011, and that's assuming Erin didn't get on-board from the get-go.

Idiots.

The really pathetic part is that these fuckwits refuse to acknowledge that Chris Roberts himself said they were in development for a year before they asked for crowdfunding, and in fact used that time as a means of justifying the original release date of November 2014.

Chris Roberts posted:

We’re already one year in - another two years puts us at 3 total which is ideal. Any more and things would begin to get stale.

That was in October of 2012. It's now January 2016 and the only reason they're in alpha is because of a marketing decision. And yet they're supposed to release a fully fledged game in less than a year.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That was in October of 2012. It's now January 2016 and the only reason they're in alpha is because of a marketing decision. And yet they're supposed to release a fully fledged game in less than a year.

Wow. Did Lando accidentally let slip something that was true again?

“There's a reason why other companies don't do it like that: they're smarter than us.”

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tippis posted:

Wow. Did Lando accidentally let slip something that was true again?

“There's a reason why other companies don't do it like that: they're smarter than us.”

It's interesting to watch how Ben and Jared individually respond to stress and controversy. Ben responds through sarcasm that comes at the expense of others. He'll call people trolls and say something is "boring him" if he doesn't want to hear it. Jared responds through sarcasm that comes at the expense of himself and now the company he's paid to represent. Both will then resort to saying anything to make people happy, even if that statement comes at the expense of their own credibility when it's later proven to be total bullshit.

Neither approach is particularly appropriate for representing an international company with a value of over a hundred million dollars, but as Jared said there's a reason why other companies don't do it like that.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Daztek posted:

lol, spot the changes.

http://imgur.com/a/CRLrg

D..did they make the window aperture bigger because :pgabz: mocked them?

Goons ruin everything..

Edit.
This is the one you need to look at.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

EminusSleepus posted:

Yeah, I tweeted about that earlier this morning.

Apparently the assets were already in 2.1 and the ship is hangar ready and almost ready to fly by backers. Instead of going with that, they decided to make it another $150 JPEG ship sale. Forget the fact that the sale has NOTHING to do with X-Files.

And someone has already been put on probation for question it.

Another money grab.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Wrecked Angle posted:

Goons ruin everything..

Edit.

But it was stylistically designed to be reminiscent of commercial jets. Star citizens told us! Why would the Christ Roberts dilute his vision in this way?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

fuctifino posted:

There's a pre-alpha of the bot that you can download here: you need a platinum account to see this message

e;f;b

can someone PM me how to compile this on armhf debian? would be a nice use of my raspberry pi

e: pm me for a link to an sd card image ;)

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 23, 2016

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

happyhippy posted:

http://www.emperorshammer.org/to/files/wiki/xvt_cheat_sheet.pdf

In the X-wing games you could go full external mode, and remove the 2D overlay of the cockpit.
Could you do this in any of Chris's games?

Can you do it in Star Citizen when flying?

You can go full external mode in SC, you can't get rid of the super-useful clutter cockpit.

As for Chris's earlier games: WC4 had no cockpit just 100% visibility with a HUD and people were not happy.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have a customer service story of my own. I bought Naval Action last week. For whatever reason something isn't working and I can't play it. So I posted something on their forums and then also sent a CS e-mail. Within 24 hours a moderator (staff member) has already gone through the basic issues on the forum, the CS guys had responded, and we had ironed out the initial issues. A week later I've had multiple back and forths with multiple developers even though they're in Russia. It's at the point now where I'm directly e-mailing a developer some logs. Meanwhile their game not only has a tool to report crashes but also a tool to check server connectivity. In both cases all I have to do is run the report and tell them the report number and they have all the data they need. The problem isn't solved but I absolutely feel like they're on top of things.

Meanwhile nearly four months later I still don't know I was banned. I'm starting to think CIG is ignoring me.

Those guys clearly know nothing about game development :smuggo:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's interesting to watch how Ben and Jared individually respond to stress and controversy. Ben responds through sarcasm that comes at the expense of others. He'll call people trolls and say something is "boring him" if he doesn't want to hear it. Jared responds through sarcasm that comes at the expense of himself and now the company he's paid to represent. Both will then resort to saying anything to make people happy, even if that statement comes at the expense of their own credibility when it's later proven to be total bullshit.

Neither approach is particularly appropriate for representing an international company with a value of over a hundred million dollars, but as Jared said there's a reason why other companies don't do it like that.

im pretty sure Sandi has made "say anything to placate them and sell sell sell" as a policy.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Hackberts sees Valkyrie footage for the first time. I'm predicting at least a dozen mid-high level walk outs on the spot when he asks for a notepad and pen.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Tippis posted:

Looks like 2.1.1 has more blue HUD lines to clutter the view for no sane or sensible reason.

Those lines took 3 gigabytes. Savor them.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
"...the things you're patiently waiting for..."

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:negative:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

Star Citizen Simpit: Probably the least talked about of anything I've ever heard. The simpit is definitely an idea in the works, read about it once and heard Chris mention it ever so briefly in a 10fC. It's supposed to be at conventions for immersive game play. Will it have a motion platform? If so, how many DoF will it have? How big will the screen be? Will it wrap around using projectors with warping effect or just monitors? Will it be full glass cockpit? Which ship will the simpit take after? Would SC ever consider selling it or it's plans?

holy gently caress

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wrecked Angle posted:

Goons ruin everything..

Edit.

Wow, if they actually changed it that's pretty stealthy of them. No big "Okay we hear you guys, we're making the window bigger" thing for the fourth time in a row.

Just for funsies, let's take a fond look back at the original design:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

holy gently caress

My brain short-circuited and I read that as Star Citizen Stimpire Pit

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Wrecked Angle posted:

Goons ruin everything..

Edit.

The dumb thing is that it looks like that stupidly small window might even work if you just put the pilot's seat right next to the glass and directly in the middle instead of all the way at the back and to the side with acres of dead space in between you and the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If they did that you wouldn't be able to see those sweet holographic displays they totally didn't steal from another game while completely missing the point.

• Locked thread