Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, totally. The most fun you've ever head in a stealth game if you enjoy being a cackling rear end in a top hat who abuses guards in unspeakable ways. Speaking of, tips:

- Don't worry about loving up with skills and upgrades. Your character is so overpowered it's impossible not to break the game.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Scientastic posted:

A friend lent me dishonoured about a year ago and it has sat on a shelf while I did other things. Is it worth playing?

If you liked Deus Ex or any similar "Open world, you have tons of choices" games, you'll like it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Dishonored is fantastic. The best advice you can have playing it is not to worry about ghosting runs too much - I did mostly nonlethal throughout the game and then slaughtered literally hundreds of people on the last two levels and still got the best ending. There's a ton of cool murder gadgets and at some point you should let loose and have fun with them.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dishonored is lots of fun

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Interrupting the stealth game chat to ask if anyone has some advice for Massive Chalice. It feels kind of XCOMy, except everyone is inexplicably an alcoholic suffering from childhood polio.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Nth-ing the Dishonored advice of "stealth until poo poo hits the fan, then become a murder ghost superhero". The only times I didn't enjoy DH were when I was reloading a bunch of times, rather than just let the gameplay do its thing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sublevel Zero
- There are no repair stations or use-it-or-lose-it health drops like Descent. Use repair kits as soon as you're at least 25 points below max health, there's no point in hoarding them.
- Those glowing boxes with sparkles coming out of them are chests, not scenery. Maybe everyone knows this but me.
- If you enter a room through a door with a glowing purple rectangle, it's a miniboss room. Trying to open the chest will spawn the miniboss. The rewards are greater than for a normal chest, but you're locked in until you kill everything or die.
- Ramming sucks, don't bother.

Gynovore posted:

Dishonored, the original Deus Ex, and DX;HR all did a good job of giving the player a choice; guns blazing, stealthy killer, or invisible ghost. I especially like how Dishonored even allowed you to take care of the mission target without killing him, although often that was extra difficult.

The issue with DXHR is that while all of those are in principle valid options, the nonlethal attacks are strictly better in most circumstances than their lethal equivalent (this is especially noticeable with the stealth takedown, where the lethal version takes twice as long and makes a shitload of noise). On top of that, you get way more XP for nonlethal stealth approaches, unlike DX1 which awarded XP for exploration and completing objectives and didn't care how many people you did or didn't kill. This gives you some pretty strong incentives to play as the invisible fairy of unconsciousness; all those approaches are valid but one of them is very obviously better than the others.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Scientastic posted:

A friend lent me dishonoured about a year ago and it has sat on a shelf while I did other things. Is it worth playing?

One thing to note is that the style is "whalepunk" and that style is RELENTLESS. If you didn't like how it looked/felt/sounded in the first mission, you might as well stop because that poo poo's never ever going to change. It's kinda neat though, a sort of different take on Victorian sensibilities that isn't loving steampunk.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anything for Endless Sky?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Geektox posted:

Trying to play no-kill, no-detection put me off both DE:HR and Dishonoured. Not the games' fault, but really my stupid achievement obsession. My tip is to not play those games this way unless you hate yourself.

The worst part about that DE:HR achievement was that it didn't flag up when you automatically failed it so I, like many others, ran through the entire game feeling pretty confident I hadn't committed homicide and then no dice :cry:

Dishonored was super cool either way though, the 'clean' version of the last level was a bit drab but the changes from game to game at least made it interesting enough to play-through twice.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Interrupting the stealth game chat to ask if anyone has some advice for Massive Chalice. It feels kind of XCOMy, except everyone is inexplicably an alcoholic suffering from childhood polio.

Make lots of babies since characters die from old age.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

paco650 posted:

One thing to note is that the style is "whalepunk" and that style is RELENTLESS. If you didn't like how it looked/felt/sounded in the first mission, you might as well stop because that poo poo's never ever going to change. It's kinda neat though, a sort of different take on Victorian sensibilities that isn't loving steampunk.

Keep playing past the first level until you meet the Outsider at least. It's a really cool looking area compared to the first level (which is just a grimy prison).

There is one more thing to know about Dishonored: leaving unconscious bodies on the ground will make them corpses. Rats will eat unconscious people, but they can't climb onto tables or boxes or anything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ryoshi posted:

Keep playing past the first level until you meet the Outsider at least. It's a really cool looking area compared to the first level (which is just a grimy prison).

There is one more thing to know about Dishonored: leaving unconscious bodies on the ground will make them corpses. Rats will eat unconscious people, but they can't climb onto tables or boxes or anything.

Pretty sure that's only near rats in the streets.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Ryoshi posted:

Dishonored counts the "Chaos" of each run, which basically means deaths. The fun thing is, all human deaths count toward chaos, even if you didn't stab them. Knock a guy out and he gets eaten by rats? Chaos. Knock a guy out on a rooftop, and the body slides off and falls to the street? Chaos. Guy you're not even aware of three streets away tries to fight a rat swarm and loses? Chaos.

Still, you shouldn't obsess much. There are two possible endings, and high chaos causes a slightly larger number of rats and weepers in later levels, that's all.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Gynovore posted:

Dishonored counts the "Chaos" of each run, which basically means deaths. The fun thing is, all human deaths count toward chaos, even if you didn't stab them. Knock a guy out and he gets eaten by rats? Chaos. Knock a guy out on a rooftop, and the body slides off and falls to the street? Chaos. Guy you're not even aware of three streets away tries to fight a rat swarm and loses? Chaos.

Still, you shouldn't obsess much. There are two possible endings, and high chaos causes a slightly larger number of rats and weepers in later levels, that's all.

dishonored

You can kill a lot of people in each level and still get "low" chaos. Do not obsess.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Dishonored is definitely a game where you just want to play without having any kind of other agenda (no kills, etc.) on your first playthrough. Going for those kinds of things is fun after the first time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
And its a very very short game so you may as well leave yourself something to replay it for.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ramagamma posted:

The worst part about that DE:HR achievement was that it didn't flag up when you automatically failed it so I, like many others, ran through the entire game feeling pretty confident I hadn't committed homicide and then no dice :cry:

That, and killing people in the prologue -- where the tutorial explicitly tells you to pick up a gun and start shooting, and stealth is impossible -- counts.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ToxicFrog posted:

That, and killing people in the prologue -- where the tutorial explicitly tells you to pick up a gun and start shooting, and stealth is impossible -- counts.

Stealth is totally possible, it's just not intuitive. Turns out those spec ops guys might have been on loan from Foxhound's genome project.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Ramagamma posted:

In DX:HR I had this glitch happen, and after a dozen reloads and attempts to get past without it happening, just had to continue. It counted against my no-kills run. That's when I downloaded the Steam Achievement Manager and just gave myself the drat achievement out of frustration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TjOkCJ_z24

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Anything for Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide?

I just played through the prologue and it seems pretty fun. I played L4D and L4D2 pretty extensively so i'm familar with how to deal with most of the special enemies

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Vadun posted:

Anything for Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide?

I just played through the prologue and it seems pretty fun. I played L4D and L4D2 pretty extensively so i'm familar with how to deal with most of the special enemies

Blocking blocks in 360 degrees. Shoving shoves in 360 degrees. Don't underestimate blocking! Don't underestimate shoving! Your block meter regenerates at the same speed while blocking or not blocking.

All weapons, ranged and melee, do more damage with headshots. Weapons with the Headshot trait simply do even more bonus damage on top of that.

Armored enemies (Stormvermin, Ratling Gunners) take no damage from light melee attacks unless you hit them in the head or your weapon has the Armor Piercing special on it. Strong attacks damage them through their armor, but you're best off going for the headshot even so.

You can back/side dash while aiming with your ranged weapons. This is especially useful for fast-firing ranged weapons.

There is no "ranged" character. If you're playing the elf or the wizard, you should absolutely be mixing it up in melee all the time, especially against small rats.

The only end-of-level stat you should be concerned about is Damage Taken. It doesn't matter how many kills you get if you are sucking up all the health kits. Your number 1 priority is not taking damage. Your number 2 priority is preventing enemies from damaging your allies. Depending on your teammates this can be easy or impossible.

Friendly fire is enabled on Nightmare or Cataclysm difficulties. Melee weapons never deal friendly fire, but ranged weapons and bombs do.

Hope this helps!

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I grew up playing the splinter cell series before it faltered and so I had great fun doing a no alarm/no kill run my first time through Dishonered. There's something about casing a place and meticulously choking out guards and piling up their unconscious bodies somewhere cozy that just appeals to me, and Dishonereds blink is a seriously fun tool to do this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Olaf The Stout posted:

I grew up playing the splinter cell series before it faltered and so I had great fun doing a no alarm/no kill run my first time through Dishonered. There's something about casing a place and meticulously choking out guards and piling up their unconscious bodies somewhere cozy that just appeals to me, and Dishonereds blink is a seriously fun tool to do this.

Give Splinter Cell: Blacklist a try if you havent. The story is awful, but the stealth gameplay is fantastic. There are even secondary missions set in large open maps that give you a list of objects to do in any order.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Anything for NEO Scavenger?

I made it to Boston and I still have very little idea what I'm doing in terms of combat and what the poo poo I'm supposed to be doing.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Geektox posted:

Anything for NEO Scavenger?

I made it to Boston and I still have very little idea what I'm doing in terms of combat and what the poo poo I'm supposed to be doing.

Sure, here are some general tips:

Character creation is a big deal, and affects a lot of how you're going to play. A lot of people recommend Strong + Melee for the initial Dogman encounter, but I think that wastes too many creation points that could be better spent elsewhere. Trapping is a must-have skill as it lets you make fires pretty much anywhere, and clean (boiled) water is your #1 most important resource throughout most of the game.

Pick Myopia as a flaw when you're starting the game. It's basically a free point, because later in the game once you have money you can have an operation to not only remove Myopia but give you the Eagle Eye skill too. Never pick Eagle Eye when creating a character for this reason, it's a waste of points.

Botany, Mechanics, and Hacking are all worth considering. Botany lets you find (and identify) more food and make Tannin Tea, which sells for quite a bit and can be used as an antiseptic. Mechanics lets you build vehicles which will allow you to haul around a lot more crap. Hacking is not terribly useful but hacked computers, phones, and tablets can sell for huge amounts of cash.

Early survival is heavily RNG-dependent. If it starts out freezing and your initial scavenging turns up nothing, you're probably going to die of hypothermia and there's nothing you can do about it.

Combat is generally something to be avoided, but picking a combat skill is useful as it'll allow you to make a broad spear, which is probably the best all-around melee weapon. Melee dominates in the early game, but once you get access to guns later on Missile is very powerful. I tend to favor Melee but that's just me.

If you do get into combat, never attack an enemy unless they're Vulnerable, stunned, prone, etc. Getting hit is really bad so being very defensive (dodging, parrying, etc) is your best bet. Flurry attacks are also usually not worth it since you lose a turn. Missile ambush attacks when hidden are ridiculously powerful--even a mere sling stone will wreck an unsuspecting enemy. But you need Missile and Hiding skill to make the best use of that.

The first thing you want to do in the game is head toward the Glow. The Glow is the single best "base" in the game, so long as you're not dumb enough to mess with the guards. Scavenge as much as you can along the way but getting to the southeast corner of the map is your first priority.

When it comes to dealing with hostiles, a lot of the strategy involves luring them toward each other, letting them kill each other, and looting their corpses afterwards. DNC guards in particular have amazing loot, and the only way to really get it is to have bandits/raiders/dogmen attack them, since taking on a DNC guard is suicide, even if you win.

Clean water is your most important resource. Drinking unpurified water will get you Giardia and death by dehydration quickly. Find a metal sauce pan as soon as you can, but a soup can will work too. You can boil water in glass bottles as well, but it will destroy the bottle in the process.

Never eat unidentified mushrooms or berries if you don't want to die. (you'll need Botany to identify them) Blue berries are always safe though.

Don't resort to cannibalism unless you're going to starve otherwise. Repeated cannibalism has some pretty hefty negative consequences.

In the various random events, picking the "good" thing to do is incredibly dangerous and will more often than not get you wounded or killed. Like if you hear someone screaming for help and you try to save them you're more likely to get jumped by bandits and robbed than a reward. Attempting to be a hero in Neo Scavenger is really risky--it's not totally without reward, but it's usually not worth it to try.

Never ever wander into the swamps south of the Glow without a working gas mask, and even then it's really not worth it. The swamp will give you Defoliant Exposure, a nasty illness which can never be cured in-game.

Relatively early on, you can get a quest to go to Camp Grayling from several different people in the game. Camp Grayling is actually the endgame, so don't tackle it immediately. You'll need to be well-kitted out before you take it on. A foil poncho is a must, too.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Sure, here are some general tips:

Character creation is a big deal, and affects a lot of how you're going to play. A lot of people recommend Strong + Melee for the initial Dogman encounter, but I think that wastes too many creation points that could be better spent elsewhere. Trapping is a must-have skill as it lets you make fires pretty much anywhere, and clean (boiled) water is your #1 most important resource throughout most of the game.

Pick Myopia as a flaw when you're starting the game. It's basically a free point, because later in the game once you have money you can have an operation to not only remove Myopia but give you the Eagle Eye skill too. Never pick Eagle Eye when creating a character for this reason, it's a waste of points.

Botany, Mechanics, and Hacking are all worth considering. Botany lets you find (and identify) more food and make Tannin Tea, which sells for quite a bit and can be used as an antiseptic. Mechanics lets you build vehicles which will allow you to haul around a lot more crap. Hacking is not terribly useful but hacked computers, phones, and tablets can sell for huge amounts of cash.

Early survival is heavily RNG-dependent. If it starts out freezing and your initial scavenging turns up nothing, you're probably going to die of hypothermia and there's nothing you can do about it.

Combat is generally something to be avoided, but picking a combat skill is useful as it'll allow you to make a broad spear, which is probably the best all-around melee weapon. Melee dominates in the early game, but once you get access to guns later on Missile is very powerful. I tend to favor Melee but that's just me.

If you do get into combat, never attack an enemy unless they're Vulnerable, stunned, prone, etc. Getting hit is really bad so being very defensive (dodging, parrying, etc) is your best bet. Flurry attacks are also usually not worth it since you lose a turn. Missile ambush attacks when hidden are ridiculously powerful--even a mere sling stone will wreck an unsuspecting enemy. But you need Missile and Hiding skill to make the best use of that.

The first thing you want to do in the game is head toward the Glow. The Glow is the single best "base" in the game, so long as you're not dumb enough to mess with the guards. Scavenge as much as you can along the way but getting to the southeast corner of the map is your first priority.

When it comes to dealing with hostiles, a lot of the strategy involves luring them toward each other, letting them kill each other, and looting their corpses afterwards. DNC guards in particular have amazing loot, and the only way to really get it is to have bandits/raiders/dogmen attack them, since taking on a DNC guard is suicide, even if you win.

Clean water is your most important resource. Drinking unpurified water will get you Giardia and death by dehydration quickly. Find a metal sauce pan as soon as you can, but a soup can will work too. You can boil water in glass bottles as well, but it will destroy the bottle in the process.

Never eat unidentified mushrooms or berries if you don't want to die. (you'll need Botany to identify them) Blue berries are always safe though.

Don't resort to cannibalism unless you're going to starve otherwise. Repeated cannibalism has some pretty hefty negative consequences.

In the various random events, picking the "good" thing to do is incredibly dangerous and will more often than not get you wounded or killed. Like if you hear someone screaming for help and you try to save them you're more likely to get jumped by bandits and robbed than a reward. Attempting to be a hero in Neo Scavenger is really risky--it's not totally without reward, but it's usually not worth it to try.

Never ever wander into the swamps south of the Glow without a working gas mask, and even then it's really not worth it. The swamp will give you Defoliant Exposure, a nasty illness which can never be cured in-game.

Relatively early on, you can get a quest to go to Camp Grayling from several different people in the game. Camp Grayling is actually the endgame, so don't tackle it immediately. You'll need to be well-kitted out before you take it on. A foil poncho is a must, too.
All good advice. Just a few additions:

Trapping also lets you make preserved meat which makes you thirstier but is overall better. It also lets you make fur items which really help with freezing.

Botany's ability to make tannin tea can't be understated - antiseptic is really useful towards long term survival. If you don't have tannin tea then you'll have to make due with whiskey. Don't neglect your cuts, and although you ideally want both boiled rags and antiseptic doing something is better than doing nothing at all.

Skills like Trapping populates recipes to work with in the crafting menu so explore those.

Certain skills also give you more combat options, which generally serve as better ways to make enemies Vulnerable.

A broad spear is indeed king and you need to realize it lets you attack from farther away than most melee weapons - so never neglect the reach advantage in close combat.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Kenny Logins posted:

Certain skills also give you more combat options, which generally serve as better ways to make enemies Vulnerable.

IIRC the one you get from Trapping is also very useful, high chance of making your opponent vulnerable. It's a pretty handy skill all round.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Overminty posted:

IIRC the one you get from Trapping is also very useful, high chance of making your opponent vulnerable. It's a pretty handy skill all round.
True. The only caveat is that some of the "cost" of these skills is justified by these combat options, and it's rare that you'd actually need more than one extra combat option due to combat's dead simple action economy.

I think Strong has one too. Ergo, Trapping and Strong is a bit wasteful on the same character. Trapping is the better of the two options.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

True. The only caveat is that some of the "cost" of these skills is justified by these combat options, and it's rare that you'd actually need more than one extra combat option due to combat's dead simple action economy.

I think Strong has one too. Ergo, Trapping and Strong is a bit wasteful on the same character. Trapping is the better of the two options.

Yeah, Strong is really not worth it overall I think. It's an excellent skill and has a lot of uses, but it's way too expensive for the utility it provides. If they knocked it down a point or two in cost it would be a must-have skill but as it stands it's hard to recommend for most builds.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Anything for the relatively new Final Fantasy Explorers? Besides the fact that the game is easy peasy.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

paco650 posted:

Anything for the relatively new Final Fantasy Explorers? Besides the fact that the game is easy peasy.

My first bit of advice is to warn people if they do not like Monster Hunter type games as it's a watered down version of that. Anyhow:

After the initial free classes, the others requires you to progress through the story to unlock their missions with the following exceptions: Dark Knight and Blue Mage unlock from killing mobs (500 & 750). Paladin and Samurai unlock from collecting gear (95 & 150). Machinist requires you to collect 150,000 CP. Beastmaster from making 20 monsters. Redmage from learning the -Ga line of spells.

You can unlock better spells and abilities by progressing through the "story".

Monsters can level up and take up 1 to 3 slots. You can have up to 3 monsters out at a time. You cannot use monsters in co-op.

You do not level up.

You can freely explore the island by walking out the front gate at any time or riding the airship.

Crystal Surges require you to build up a meter. After certain thresholds and conditions are met, you can activate the mode which will add unique modifiers to abilities that are flashing. Do this enough and in town you can use the crystal to relearn your new modified ability. A skill can have up to 4 modifiers if you equip the new ability and repeat the process.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 29, 2016

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Mayor McCheese posted:

My first bit of advice is to warn people if they do not like Monster Hunter type games as it's a watered down version of that. Anyhow:

After the initial free classes, the others requires you to progress through the story to unlock their missions with the following exceptions: Dark Knight and Blue Mage unlock from killing mobs (500 & 750). Paladin and Samurai unlock from collecting gear (95 & 150). Machinist requires you to collect 150,000 CP. Beastmaster from making 20 monsters. Redmage from learning the -Ga line of spells.

You can unlock better spells and abilities by progressing through the "story".

Monsters can level up and take up 1 to 3 slots. You can have up to 3 monsters out at a time. You cannot use monsters in co-op.

You do not level up.

You can freely explore the island by walking out the front gate at any time or riding the airship.

Crystal Surges require you to build up a meter. After certain thresholds and conditions are met, you can activate the mode which will add unique modifiers to abilities that are flashing. Do this enough and in town you can use the crystal to relearn your new modified ability. A skill can have up to 4 modifiers if you equip the new ability and repeat the process.

Thanks, man

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Booted up my PS3 for the first time in a long time today and it seems that at some point I've acquired Yakuza 4. I've never played a Yakuza game before but I hear good things, so I'm going to give it a go. I've looked at the advice on the wiki, but is there anything else I should know? Thank you.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Booted up my PS3 for the first time in a long time today and it seems that at some point I've acquired Yakuza 4. I've never played a Yakuza game before but I hear good things, so I'm going to give it a go. I've looked at the advice on the wiki, but is there anything else I should know? Thank you.

Nope, that's pretty much it, it's a very straightforward game aside from the hostess stuff which is entirely optional pretty much. If you want to do that part just google for a guide.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Mayor McCheese posted:

Here's my question... If you love Monster Hunter, will this just be boring? I'm an old school FF fan, but watered down Monster Hunter with Chocobos sounds iffy. The reviews seem to agree.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Here's my question... If you love Monster Hunter, will this just be boring? I'm an old school FF fan, but watered down Monster Hunter with Chocobos sounds iffy. The reviews seem to agree.

I'm going to first say that I am not a fan of the genre, but I will try to answer this based on what I know.

The game is more action based and less animation priority. I have never played Toukiden, but it shares some of the traits I have seen. Monsters have health bars, and you can parry/dodge/block/counter. However, it lacks complexity and feels a bit clunky. Mission structure very rarely deviates from this:

Start mission, walk or fly to objective node on map, kill or collect X, mission complete.

Combat has some minor animation lag between skills, there's some weird moments where it feels like you can attack-cancel, but it doesn't always work. The Bosses I have seen are arena based encounters. You don't climb them, you don't target body parts, no trapping/stalking, and you avoid AEs that have indicators.

I would say this is an entry level game for the genre where you could min/max but it's not a necessity nor requirement. Using items or pre-mission timed buffs can be ignored as you can just heal/buff with spells on the field. Spells are equipable by any class. Monster pet AI is bad and they try to remedy this with a 30 second respawn timer. Coop is fine, I guess? Bosses are sponges so that's the only time coop comes in handy. Overall you only need to really pay attention when fighting something big. They try to reduce the tedium with the Limit Break system and the sub-quests (collect 10 lumber! kill x monster using x! craft this!), but it's nothing groundbreaking.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Some stuff for Satellite Reign:

-Purchase the Soldier's grenade skill ASAP. They're expensive early on but anyone can use grenades, ammunition is plentiful, and they destroy cover.

-Focus on maxing out hacking and hardwiring early. It can be done before leaving downtown and lets you access every area.

-First thing you should do in a new area is unlock the relay stations. They're your fast travel and respawn points.

-Send everyone to infiltrate buildings, you'll get extra money or unique items depending on the mission. The description for banks makes it seem you have to choose but no, you can get the soldier bonus and hacker bonus.

-Banks replenish money. I don't know what kind of timer it's on, probably less than 30 minutes real time, but revisit them every so often.

-Finding researchers is a matter of chilling in a populated area with the world scanner turned on. Eventually you'll bump into a yellow NPC who can be bribed.

-Perfect stealth is really difficult. There's no effective way to instantly kill enemies from afar and silencer's are a waste of money. The key is to keep moving and not get cornered. Don't get into prolonged firefights. Kill enemies with "!" above their head before they raise the alarm. Try to divert enemy attention so they don't all flank your team. One trick is to have someone snipe cameras and retreat before the patrol comes. You can also hijack people or drones and send them running through a compound luring guards away.

-The infiltrator's sword skill is amazing for stealth. Enemies usually patrol in groups and this ability instantly closes the distance with your target, putting you in range to kill nearby enemies.

-Don't waste time building up a clone army from civilians. At level 2 hijack you can take over the simplest guards and they're basically three times better than civilians.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 31, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
A couple more things for Satellite Reign

- If you see an enemy calling for reinforcements, you can move one of your operatives close to him and then attack. The operative will kick the enemy before shooting, cancelling the reinforcement call.

- You can also instantly interrupt a call for reinforcements with the hijack ability.

- Team Stims on your Support is your "Pause and give orders" button. Upgrade it fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

al-azad posted:

Some stuff for Satellite Reign:

-Focus on maxing out hacking and hardwiring early. It can be done before leaving downtown and lets you access every area.

-[snip] silencer's are a waste of money. [snip] One trick is to have someone snipe cameras (which is permanent) and retreat before the patrol comes. You can also hijack people or drones and send them running through a compound luring guards away.

-Don't waste time building up a clone army from civilians. At level 2 hijack you can take over the simplest guards and they're basically three times better than civilians.

These three could use some improvement, unless there has been a major patch since release.

Hardwire is barely used and can be worked around with either explosives (or just lots of shooting), taking an alternate path, or forcing the skill with low probability and running away when someone comes to investigate if you fail. Remote explosives can be great for this if you have them.

Similarly, hacking is nowhere near as important as you might think. It's more commonly needed than hardwire and explosives don't often work as a replacement, but you can still brute-force with low skill. Although there's like two level 5 terminals in the first district, neither offers anything worth rushing hacking 5 for and you can come back later. Settle for 2-3 points in hacking and go grab lower level banking terminals in another district instead.

It's MUCH more important to rush hijack than hacking. Higher levels of hijack give you more goons, and lets you pick up higher level ones for more points (e.g. the aforementioned light soldier worth two civilians). Interrupting the highest level enemies can be hugely beneficial, even if you don't manage to complete the hijack. Higher level hijacks also give you clones with massive stat boosts. +70 energy on your infiltrator can let them stealth through even the biggest plazas.

Silencers do work and it's absolutely worth everyone having at least one silenced weapon. They greatly reduce the sound radius of the shots, drawing less attention, but don't seem to do jack about the giant laser beam or plasma gout coming out of your gun. Giving your infiltrator a silenced ballistic rifle weapon will let you snipe people once they have enough of the damage skills. A 'silenced' plasma smg not so much.

Cameras DO respawn. I think it takes about 30-60 minutes. By all means have a hijacked soldier run through a base shooting out cameras before you make your real run, just don't dawdle excessively. This is mostly noticeable for compounds you revisit for several diffferent runs. If you zone or load the game they also instantly respawn.

Civilian armies are great for setting off firefights on the other side of a base and drawing off patrols that might be approaching your guys, especially early on. Just be aware that they probably don't have clearance to be there and will probably be shot at even if they're not doing anything suspicious. Once you've got higher levels of hijack guards do work better, but three 5 second distractions is usually better than a single 10 second distraction.

Hijacks who haven't made themselves obvious to the opposition can also open doors for you without you having to hack/hardwire/explode them. Just have them stand in the middle of the thing whilst your team files through.

Put cloaking generators on your three non-infiltrators, and a remote hacking tool on your infiltrator. They'll help out a lot once you have the spare slots and cash available and actually let you keep your team together for stealth runs. Mobilty and option cybernetics (vents/jumping/etc) are also really good. As you say, you can't really rely on stealth without full mobility options or cloaking generators, some areas are just too open.