Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
RE6 is the greatest monster wrestling simulator of any generation.

Anyways boy I sure like 0 a lot less than I remember. The train section is pretty decent with all the cool environmental touches and the rain spattering against the train's windows as it barrels down a forest. Then it crashes into a bad game and everything is boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I never died to the crystal in CVX, but I died so many times to monster Steve and had to repeat that section over and over.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is it actually possible to avoid taking damage from monster Steve? Even in successful runs I always got hit at least once.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

RE6 is the greatest monster wrestling simulator of any generation.

Anyways boy I sure like 0 a lot less than I remember. The train section is pretty decent with all the cool environmental touches and the rain spattering against the train's windows as it barrels down a forest. Then it crashes into a bad game and everything is boring.

Same here. It was worse than i remember and i remember disliking it on gamecube. Like there are some straight up lovely game design choices. For example, one room late in the game will have 2 hunters straight up attack right as you enter with no warning. Some camera angles obscure the right way to go. Rebecca is too drat weak. We get another drat tyrant fight,etc.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Is it actually possible to avoid taking damage from monster Steve? Even in successful runs I always got hit at least once.

I've never done it, but I've seen people loop back around from where he starts to throw him off, and then they can make it down the corridor without getting hit.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I don't like RE0 anymore, having to constantly juggle my inventory is poo poo and the Training Facility is really, really boring to explore, it's a poor mans version of the Spencer Mansion, not even Anime Opera Man can save this game anymore.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE2Tkm4DvtM

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

...I had no idea shooting it actually did anything.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

...I had no idea shooting it actually did anything.

I think you have to use flame rounds. Nothing else will work.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I never knew you could do that. I always tanked a hit, healed and then continued on.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I never knew you could do that. I always tanked a hit, healed and then continued on.

Me too. But I think I looked it up much later.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Here's the strategy that Smirking Serpent mentioned where you can escape Steve without taking damage and without firing a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU51k8-Rtv8&t=104

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yay I got the A-Rank in Code Veronica X!

It was with the terrible time of 3:17:51, but I did it! Gonna move onto the Battle Game Stuff tonight.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I just started playing RE0 for the first time ever the other day and it just isn't grabbing me. I'm also starting to realize why people hated dropping items constantly. I wonder if there would be any way to mod in some sort of item box equivalent?

(Cue joke about making a mod that turns it into a better RE game period :v:)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
A mod that just made the shotgun, grenade launcher, hunting gun, and hookshot one-block items would go a long way.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
It's gratifying to see an entirely new generation of people discover that RE0 is a trash game for trashmen. God that loving hookshot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Solomonic posted:

It's gratifying to see an entirely new generation of people discover that RE0 is a trash game for trashmen. God that loving hookshot.

It's also a great example of why going for a more "realistic" approach to very obviously videogamey things is not always the best idea and does not necessarily accomplish the intended results.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I think making all the items take up one block and giving both characters eight slots would do a lot. Also it would be cool if they brought back the first aid cases from RE3. It still would be annoying to have to stumble around trying to pick stuff up, but it wouldn't be nearly as tight.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Also, if Rebecca could store herbs in her case the way Cindy can in the Outbreak games, that'd be cool.

Really, she needs a couple more advantages, because as it is, Billy leaves her in the dust. If nothing else, it'd be nice if she was measurably faster.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Has there ever actually been a raccoon present in any Resident Evil game?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Solomonic posted:

The hookshot isn't so bad after playing it again. If you know where you need it you only use it like 3 times.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Raxivace posted:

Operation Raccoon City, kind of.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Raxivace posted:

There was a dead one in Iron's office, I think.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Holy crap these A Rank times for the Battle Game in CVX are insanely dumb.

EDIT: I mean ffs I got a 6:33 for Chris once because luckily dragonfly girl got caught in a corner, but nooooooo I have to get sub 6:30 for it to be an A-Rank.

This wouldn't be nearly as bad if I didn't have to actually kill generic zombies.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 23, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Raxivace posted:

The player characters are the raccoons, putting their grubby little mitts on everything.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Raxivace posted:

One of the SP Items in Outbreak for Cindy is a plush "Mr. Raccoon," the city mascot. Sadly, we never see one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

One of the SP Items in Outbreak for Cindy is a plush "Mr. Raccoon," the city mascot. Sadly, we never see one.

I am incredibly shocked none of the Outbreak games thought io include a zombified city mascot in a giant plush suit or something.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ImpAtom posted:

I am incredibly shocked none of the Outbreak games thought io include a zombified city mascot in a giant plush suit or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That's clearly Super Mario RPG.

:colbert:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CVX Battle Game: Well I've now A Ranked both Claires and Chris. I'm trying with Steve now and honestly I just don't see how this can be done in under ten minutes. His guns are so garbage at killing enemies quickly.

Even when I try and replicate what I see in videos it doesn't work. Bandersnatches just cower at SMG's in these videos, and when I play and try the same thing, they'll hit Steve like 2-3 times apiece.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Steve's Lugers can do the shotgun headshot trick on zombies, but you have to fire while he's raising them, rather than just firing them at head level at the right time. There's a knack to it, and once you get the hang of it, you're golden.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cool, I'll keep that in mind. Are the headshots guaranteed if I time it properly?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Cool, I'll keep that in mind. Are the headshots guaranteed if I time it properly?

Not exactly. It's imprecise, but once you know how to do it, it still works more reliably than just hosing lead into their center mass.

If you watch an A- or S-rank run as Steve in the Battle Game on YouTube, listen for the weird smash sound it makes when he pops somebody's head with the Luger. That's how they're doing it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hey thanks to your tip, I was finally able to A-Rank Steve!

Now I just have to figure out Wesker without dying...

EDIT: And now I've A-Ranked Wesker as well! I had to take it slow but I managed to do it!

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 25, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm already a little annoyed by some of RE0's design decisions. I can already tell you now that the lack of Item Boxes really hurts the game.

I also love how I got a game over during the "Activate the Brakes" sequence. As soon as the timer started I bolted all the way to the other end of the train...only to find out apparently I needed to actually pick up the Magnetic Card in the first room. I ran all the way back and forth, but by time I got back to do the code it was too late. Welp I guess I'm redoing almost the entire train section tomorrow.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Raxivace posted:

I'm already a little annoyed by some of RE0's design decisions. I can already tell you now that the lack of Item Boxes really hurts the game.

I also love how I got a game over during the "Activate the Brakes" sequence. As soon as the timer started I bolted all the way to the other end of the train...only to find out apparently I needed to actually pick up the Magnetic Card in the first room. I ran all the way back and forth, but by time I got back to do the code it was too late. Welp I guess I'm redoing almost the entire train section tomorrow.

Lack of item boxes suck, no way around it. Basically, you'll want to designate a few main spots for dumping stuff.

The main hall in the mansion is the most obvious one, and you can stash some other stuff in the conference room if it gets full.

I would also stash some stuff in the observatory (it'll be a circular room with a ladder leading to a lower level) when you're getting ready to leave the mansion. It's tempting to leave in the big room outside the observatory, but inside is much better, trust me.

Make sure you take your hookshot with you to the observatory and beyond. You can dump it for good when you finally power on the cable car.

You can leave the hunting gun for the shotgun as soon as you find it. You can dump Rebecca's handgun after the mansion.

Don't bother stockpiling ink ribbons – there's a ribbon by every new typewriter anyway, and it's rare you'll save more than three times in one place.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

isn't the Hunting Gun stronger than the shotgun? I think I remember hearing that somewhere but gently caress slightly more powerful is not worth it for all the micromanagement required for 2 shells at a time.

Also the weird thing about not having item boxes in this game is that I don't see it as a bad thing since they designed the game around having large open hubs that you would be traveling through many times that isn't too different from regular save rooms in the other RE games. What IS a problem is the fact that the shotgun, hunting gun, grenade launcher, and hookshot all take up two spaces in your limited 12 inventory spaces. While the AI is not too bad when it comes to wasting ammo (you just gotta remember to change their status) you still have to make some decisions for armament, do you want to be the one controlling the shotgun or leave that to the AI to guess when is the best distance to shoot?

And yes, dumping the Samurai Edge (:() is the best decision since you don't need both characters unloading into zombies needlessly, and Billy's handgun is stronger.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Aces High posted:

isn't the Hunting Gun stronger than the shotgun? I think I remember hearing that somewhere but gently caress slightly more powerful is not worth it for all the micromanagement required for 2 shells at a time.

Also the weird thing about not having item boxes in this game is that I don't see it as a bad thing since they designed the game around having large open hubs that you would be traveling through many times that isn't too different from regular save rooms in the other RE games. What IS a problem is the fact that the shotgun, hunting gun, grenade launcher, and hookshot all take up two spaces in your limited 12 inventory spaces. While the AI is not too bad when it comes to wasting ammo (you just gotta remember to change their status) you still have to make some decisions for armament, do you want to be the one controlling the shotgun or leave that to the AI to guess when is the best distance to shoot?

And yes, dumping the Samurai Edge (:() is the best decision since you don't need both characters unloading into zombies needlessly, and Billy's handgun is stronger.

I've always heard that the hunting gun is stronger, but yeah, not worth the lack of capacity. Especially when so many enemies (eliminators, hunters, zombies sometimes) practically shrug off shotgun shells anyway.

I think it would have made more sense if they gave you the pump-action somewhere after the church, so you got more time with the hunting gun and could decide which (or both!) to take. Right now you get it after being in the mansion for 30 seconds, so it usually only sees the Stinger fight.

In general, I think that the no-box approach would work better if they had more alternate weapons, like a later pump-action, maybe giving you the magnum at the end of the mansion but the revolver in the lab, something like a second grenade launcher with your first napalm rounds, etc. Then you wouldn't be in such a crunch with the inventory. Most of the weapon placement is front-loaded, and nobody likes the feeling of passing up forty extra shells when they left the actual gun a few miles back.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
New trailer for Umbrella Corps looks...less than good. In particular, the Ganados AI looks really bizarre- they start to sprint in a way which almost looks like latency rubber banding?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uBRgzKQV6I

This is almost a surefire miss for Capcom; even good online-only vs games have trouble maintaining communities these days. I'm hoping it'll prove me wrong, because I do quite like the series' action gameplay and would love, for example, a Mercenaries-centric full fledged gamee. This clearly isn't that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
That crawling animation at about 0:28 has me uncontrollably giggling.