Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

QuarkJets posted:

You're still giving them too much credit. A business or a country has no reason to use a bitcoin-like system. All of the potentially desirable qualities of such a system (cryptographically-secure electronic payments, distributed accounting) exist in other forms without the downside of having to burn enough electricity to power a small country in order to run it. A commonly found thing in the YOSPOS thread is that a lot of idiot bitcoiners on reddit think that Satoshi invented cryptography and distributed databases, so to them any payment system that uses cryptography is now just a derivative of bitcoin.

A sort of awkward labeling situation has been created where businesses want to appeal to idiot VCs so they'll say that they're adopting blockchain technology when what they really mean is that they're using a distributed database with cryptography to sign transactions, tools that were in use decades before bitcoin ever existed. All of the proof of work bitcoin mining poo poo built on top of a system like this is worthless to a business.

Bitcoin doesn't use a distributed database though. Everyone has to download the entire loving database which a distributed system does not do.

The blockchain is more like a list, never edited. How can that be referred to as a database?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

Can you imagine if actual corporations decided to get into BC? They would eat Bitcoiners alive.

Why on Earth Bitcoiners think that anyone with real power would be willing to allow a bunch of disconnected early adopters to be the Elite has never made sense to me.

There was a lot of talk of this back in the day, pre-MTGOX and when the price was still rising.
Most butters were talking 'take my butts from cold dead hands' type poo poo.
Now no one wants the coins, and the True Believers think they will become billionaires when it finally takes off.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

You're still giving them too much credit. A business or a country has no reason to use a bitcoin-like system. All of the potentially desirable qualities of such a system (cryptographically-secure electronic payments, distributed accounting) exist in other forms without the downside of having to burn enough electricity to power a small country in order to run it. A commonly found thing in the YOSPOS thread is that a lot of idiot bitcoiners on reddit think that Satoshi invented cryptography and distributed databases, so to them any payment system that uses cryptography is now just a derivative of bitcoin.

A sort of awkward labeling situation has been created where businesses want to appeal to idiot VCs so they'll say that they're adopting blockchain technology when what they really mean is that they're using a distributed database with cryptography to sign transactions, tools that were in use decades before bitcoin ever existed. All of the proof of work bitcoin mining poo poo built on top of a system like this is worthless to a business.

can't buy precious research chemicals with fiat mahney, police will track you and sabotage all the research

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Shwqa posted:

The confusing part to me is just how easy it is to make a copy cat. Why would any major business/country give complete control to a bunch of idiots? A country would just make butt coin v2 with them being the early adopter.

Literally nothing. If Wal-Mart somehow wanted to use the protocol they would just start paying workers in Wallycoin or some poo poo.

I could see Wal-Mart doing it because buying stuff with Bitcoin is hilariously difficult. Kind of a more dickish version of that time they got busted for paying people in gift cards.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Tenzarin posted:

Bitcoin doesn't use a distributed database though. Everyone has to download the entire loving database which a distributed system does not do.

The blockchain is more like a list, never edited. How can that be referred to as a database?

it's an append-only database and you only need to download the whole thing if you want to verify it. the "trust" (ability to verify the proof of work) is what's distributed

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.

Razorwired posted:

Literally nothing. If Wal-Mart somehow wanted to use the protocol they would just start paying workers in Wallycoin or some poo poo.

I could see Wal-Mart doing it because buying stuff with Bitcoin is hilariously difficult. Kind of a more dickish version of that time they got busted for paying people in gift cards.

If Walmart did that, the "Walmart is going under" thread would have a lot more traction.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

wayne curr posted:

Don't forget that the reward for mining coins will be halved later this year.
http://www.bitcoinblockhalf.com/

Effectively halving the income of Bitcoin miners.

Didn't the value of a bitcoin block work out to be the same dollar amount as the cost of the electricity to mine it in the first place? So whatever they're making in Bitcoins, they're having to pay to the electric company, so :lol: what income?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
The hardware arms race basically made sure that no one ever even made hardware costs back.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Nine months of mining and I'll make my money back on these GPUs.
*eight months later*
Nine months of mining and I'll make my money back on these FPGAs.
*eight months later*
Nine months of mining and I'll make my money back on these ASICs.
*never gets ASICs*

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Powered Descent posted:

http://www.beepboopbitcoin.com/

Pro tip: It's worth it to play through to the end. Keep playing until you've won.

Just to be clear, there are two games linked on that page:

"Advanced Bitcoin Simulator" is the one where you bite someone
"Bitcoin Mining Profit Calculator: Gaiden" is the one that pays homage to LucasArts and Sierra games, plus others

The first one was pretty cool when it first came out but the second one totally shits all over it (maybe I say that because I post in the retro games threads). Definitely play them both in that order.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Cowboy Pope posted:

Okay so a fiat currency is one that only has value by some decree, right? So chickens are not fiat because chickens have some inherent use to them, a dollar is fiat because its worth a dollar because someone said so. I think I get it so far.

Assuming I've got that right, why the gently caress are people saying bitcoins don't count as fiat? I don't see the value being any less made up because a bunch of nerds said it exists versus a government saying it exists, a lot less so if anything. This is a real question

That's a very good question.

Some might say that this is the irony of bitcoin.

People with a true understanding of bitcoin, however, will point out that bitcoin is BACKED BY MATH. Yes, that's loving stupid, it's fiat.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Buttcoin purse posted:

That's a very good question.

Some might say that this is the irony of bitcoin.

People with a true understanding of bitcoin, however, will point out that bitcoin is BACKED BY MATH. Yes, that's loving stupid, it's fiat.

Mother Jones called it the "ultimate fiat currency" in 2014. I still remember fondly imagining the cognitive dissonance stroke true believers gave themselves on that one.

http://m.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2014/02/bitcoin-fiat-currency-thats-not-its-big-problem

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

quote:

But when XT launched, he made a surprising decision. XT, he claimed, did not represent the “developer consensus” and was therefore not really Bitcoin. Voting was an abomination, he said, because:
“One of the great things about Bitcoin is its lack of democracy”
i should have known that the death of Bitcoin would be caused by fragile egos belonging to big stupid nerds

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

thathonkey posted:

bitcoin? more like shitcoin!

been waiting since page 1 to post this

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

i should have known that the death of Bitcoin would be caused by fragile egos belonging to big stupid nerds

Bitcoin is really derivative. Bioshock already TOLD this story!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Novo posted:

it's an append-only database and you only need to download the whole thing if you want to verify it. the "trust" (ability to verify the proof of work) is what's distributed

thing is, u could offload all of the work to a central authority (or CA) and then have intermediate authorities under the CA that have the ability to sign for issuing authorities that have the ability to sign for individual entities which could be people, web sites, code or transactions.

and wow if u sub central for certificate then u have a model that maybe works? of course no real PKI has ever claimed to be a currency, but they are capable of verifying transactions.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

Buttcoin purse posted:

and that while the government can always just print more money, there is a finite amount of bitcoins that can ever be mined therefore it's automatically superior and more worthful

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
and :agreed: with the lol at "Bitcoin isn't fiat" argument. If Bitcoin is money, it absolutely is fiat.

but it isn't money, it is a commodity

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Yeah, I made a killing shorting Frozen Concentrated Orange Bitcoins!

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
i remember 'listen to buttcoin' got turned into some sorta fishing/garbage site a while ago. is there any other site out there where i can listen to the dulcimer tones of asses farting over and over again depending on the prices of dunning-krugerands?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Germstore posted:

Nine months of mining and I'll make my money back on these GPUs.
*eight months later*
Nine months of mining and I'll make my money back on these FPGAs.
*eight months later*
Nine months of mining and I'll make my money back on these ASICs.
*never gets ASICs*

*Butterfly Labs mines 400 Butts using your rig you bought from them for sixteen months*

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

My Q-Face posted:

Didn't the value of a bitcoin block work out to be the same dollar amount as the cost of the electricity to mine it in the first place? So whatever they're making in Bitcoins, they're having to pay to the electric company, so :lol: what income?

They steal the electricity, or their parents are footing the bill... 100% PURE PROFIT, SHITHEAD!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

happyhippy posted:

*Butterfly Labs mines 400 Butts using your rig you bought from them for sixteen months*

Haha I remember buyers freaking out saying the BFL was mining using their machines and most people in the SA thread said that would be stupid, that BFL wasn't interested in mining they just wanted to sell the shovels

It DID turn out they were mining, right?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Professor Shark posted:

please, they were only stress testing them to make sure they worked alright

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Yes, stress testing them on the live network (instead of the test network designed exactly for that) while depositing the mined coins to BFL's wallet instead of the customer's wallet.

loving BFL (who was local to me)

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Laughing my rear end off at these drug stories, especially not wanting to damage the guy's rep.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Shark posted:

Haha I remember buyers freaking out saying the BFL was mining using their machines and most people in the SA thread said that would be stupid, that BFL wasn't interested in mining they just wanted to sell the shovels

Not only that, but the miners joined the BFL pool by default so unless you changed it you were mining for BFL and subsidizing their electricity costs.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

cumshitter posted:

Not only that, but the miners joined the BFL pool by default so unless you changed it you were mining for BFL and subsidizing their electricity costs.

Wow what a weird mistake on BFL's part!

I don't think anyone has mentioned the idiot who tried to use his university campus to mine butts and got expelled

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Lol also that time they bought buttcoin.org and changed the review of their broken rear end miner that had spray painted cardboard instead of the touch screen interface they promised.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Professor Shark posted:

Wow what a weird mistake on BFL's part!

I don't think anyone has mentioned the idiot who tried to use his university campus to mine butts and got expelled

A dude I know is in IT and told me someone at his place got fired for running a bitcoin miner thingy under his desk. There had been a significant spike in the electricity bill apparently, and IT got called in to try to implement energy saving measures when they found it. Apparently the thing was running so drat hot that it was a bigger mystery why nobody noticed, or how this guy managed to sit there all day without getting heatstroke.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This thread has given me a new appreciation for buttcoin, primarily through the incredible perfection of the term "Dunning-Krugerand."

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

cumshitter posted:

Lol also that time they bought buttcoin.org and changed the review of their broken rear end miner that had spray painted cardboard instead of the touch screen interface they promised.
And they had in fact bought the stuff that was supposed to go in that spot, they just didn't put it in, and left it in boxes at the workplace.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Tenzarin posted:

you see the part where he talks about idiot vc money? that's the part where the buttchain is a database

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Serak posted:

Magic: The Gathering Online Exchange

the lol'd that never gets old

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The old Bitcoin threads were fun to read cause I learned all about neat stuff like the ASIC and 3 phases post were always funny.

Wasnt there a chinese group that beat butterfly labs to the punch but gave up shortly there after?

Also wasnt there some kinda usb minner that people were plugging into like 50 plus usb hubs that were made in china and a basic firerisk?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
im stealing this from yospos since its our self rational interest to laugh at libertarians

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

DiggityDoink posted:

i remember 'listen to buttcoin' got turned into some sorta fishing/garbage site a while ago. is there any other site out there where i can listen to the dulcimer tones of asses farting over and over again depending on the prices of dunning-krugerands?

There's a version up at http://buttcoin.cf/ but since the empty gox API is down (for now!) it only plays transactions that happen on the fartchain.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Cheez posted:

And they had in fact bought the stuff that was supposed to go in that spot, they just didn't put it in, and left it in boxes at the workplace.

My favourite butterfly labs video-Josh Zerlan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlWrmIqGs3Y&t=143s

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

EorayMel posted:

im stealing this from yospos since its our self rational interest to laugh at libertarians

Hmm, death, vs not getting a drink for some admittedly bs reason.

I'm trying to think which is worse: not getting a drink, or getting a drink that kills me. Hmmmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the bar in the dry county that doesn't serve underage drinkers that closes at 10 (it's a school night).

• Locked thread