Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Plan, meet Enemy
Month 2, week three, day five
Onset of Evening

You make a hasty series of hand movements, hoping against hope that everyone remembers the briefing you had on the way over.

Abigail begins climbing the cliff, with Konnie watching over her. She uses the quarterstaff for leverage, her small form not putting too much strain on its fibrous sinew. Meanwhile, Johakim makes the signal.
Carefully you begin your advance, knowing full well the price of failure.

A few, dreadful moments pass. Skvababt has crawled up on the small hill and is now laying on its top, bow flat upon the ground. Her pupils miose, the small black pupils in them disappearing almost entirely.

The spearwielding Kobold on the ground embraces death clumsily, dropping his spear and getting caught in the rope, the arrow having pierced it straight through the neck, embedding itself in the dirt on the other side.
The tree-dwelling Kobold turns to look at his former companion, laughing at its misfortune. You take the opportunity to charge.

---

Abigail meanwhile has finished her ascent, and gingerly pokes the overturned minecart with her staff. A small voice can be heard from inside.

“Yip! Who der?! Is ambush! Sssh! Iz hidin! Is best spot!! You go find other!!”

Abigail turns to Konnie, who had crept up behind her. He flashes her a grin, motioning her to hit it again.

---

Your team advances, keeping eyes all around you for further surprises, as Skvababt reloads and Kvelar aims his crossbow to the back of the balancing treebold.
As soon as he comes in range, he fires, but misses as the Kobold slaps its knee in laughter.
The same laughter that turns to fear as it turns around to see where the arrow came from, and notices four burly fighters storming its perch.

“AAAh! Hunams! Quick, set th...”

*THOCK*

The arrow hits it in the shoulder and it falls down, breaking its neck on the harsh mountain beneath it.

----

Konnie circles the Minecart and gives Abigail a nod, and she clobbers it for all her worth.

*KLANG!*

An angry kobold leaps out of its would be ambush clutching it's head and screaming, although its cry for alarm is cut short by a dagger expertly pressed into its neck from behind.

---

Your group speeds to the tree, keeping sharp lookout for anything out of the ordinary, but nothing happens.

---

You make a quick inventory of the bodies, two sets of Kobold-Quality ???leather armour, one set of Kobold-Quality tattered rags, a crude Kobold-Quality iron-tipped spear,
the haft of a dwarven mining axe without the axe bit and a fine-quality dwarven hand crossbow.

The contraption is still up in the tree, the dead kobold firmly anchoring it in place with its body trapped in the rope. You still can't tell exactly what it is, though you could get it down without too much effort.

Your company would cheer this small victory, but you are all still wary of ambush, so they make do with fistpumps for now.

1: Three Kobolds lie dead, but surely there must be more nearby. If not out here, then inside the silvermine itself. You have yet to be swarmed, so either they haven’t heard you or they are all in hiding.
Two paths present themselves; a search of the rickety wooden shack above ground. Miners barracks, cart loading, cantina and temporary storage, or down into the depths of the mine. Where do you go?

A: Up! It's a large building, searching it thoroughly will take some time. You have no idea of the layout and it presents the perfect place for random ambushes and traps.

B: Down! Kobolds like caves right? They are probably all in the mine. Searching it should be much faster, but the corridors will be narrow and winding. Sudden corners and alcoves likely make perfect trappable areas.

C: Split the Party!
You don't much fancy your chances against an unknown number of kobolds without all your team at your side, indeed, your cousin, Johakim and Khami all advice against it.

2: There is a strange kobold contraption fastened to the top of a tree. What do you do with it?
D: Leave it for now.
E: Take it down, examine it.

---

[ITEC Battle Summary]
Overall morale is improving, the mood is tense.
You are Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. You fight with Axe and Shield.
Kvelar: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with Axe and Shield, but has a short-range hand crossbow as well.
Tommy: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with a Greatclub.
Khami: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with an iron chain.
Johakim: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Avoids fighting, tends to wounds.
Konnie: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with newly purchased daggers. [01 Kills]
Abigail: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with an iron quarterstaff. [01 Assists]
Skvababt: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with a longbow. [02 Kills]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

AE

Investigate the loveshack, burn it down as a last resort.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
AD

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

AE

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

BE We know the prisoner is down there, and from what we've heard of his adventure, they are all in the mine, or at least their leader will be.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BE

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
E

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

BE

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Cut the contraption down from the tree.
Burn the wooden shack to the ground before heading in.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Rickety Wooden Shack

I believe I accidentally made something unclear in the update, regarding the size of the building in question.

It is indeed rickety and wooden, but it's also several stories tall, housing the majority of facilities needed to care for a group of dwarven miners. A home away from home.
Several stories tall might be a bit of a misnomer actually; It would be more correct to say that there are levels, layered ontop of eachother but following the curvature of the mountain.
The picture provided is accurate.

The wooden structure is also the property of Grüw and by extension The Empire itself. Even though you would love to see a fire of that magnitude, the Chamberlain would probably not appreciate you burning down one of the cities most important buildings,
even if the mine could theoretically operate without it.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

In my opinion we have to clear the upper building of gobolds before we descend into the mines, to make sure we don't have a whole bunch of them behind us.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
ITEC and The Tree Contraption
Onset of Evening

You decide you want to check the Kobolds would be trap before you head further in and spend some time carefully lowering it to the ground, perhaps to gain some insight into the mind of a Kobold.

One thing is certain, they are dangerously inventive.

Several small cases, crates, wrought-iron pots and containers have somehow been forced together to make an almost fractal über-box. Each of the individual containers has been filled, obsessively, with one sort of item. Screws, nails, bits of dwarven mining helmets, what you presume are kobold-bones and most of a tea set. All clustered around a central box that you take care to carefully untangle from the others.

Several bottles of dwarven liquor have been somehow glued to its side.

On the box is a crudely drawn image of a kobold and dwarves in blood. The kobold is laughing. The dwarves are exploding.

---

You pose the question of where to head next to your group, unable to make up your mind at the moment.

Kvelar, Khami and Tommy all think that checking out the top-side building first would be most wise. Johakim urges the group into the mine itself, fearing for the health of the prisoner.
Abigail thinks most of the Kobolds would be underground and is eager to take the fight to them. Konnie is on the fence, he doesn't like staying out in the open with an unknown number of kobolds about.
He isn't sure which option is more suicidal, but suggests you 'get on with it'. Skvababt says she will follow you 'mhm, wherever you go', and blinks her enormous eyes at you, one at a time.

---

Voting remains open for a few hours.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
A, since it will be harder for us to be flanked by the mine kobolds if we go to the building, than it would be for us to be flanked by the building kobolds if we went to the mine.

D, since I don't think potential kobold trap loot is worth risking life and limb right now. It is a goddamn silver mine, we are practically guaranteed to find enough actually valuable loot to fill our packs with anyway.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

A - We probably ought to clear that out. If nothing else it's then safe-ish to retreat back to and it gives us a bit of experience of fighting these things before we hit the full mine.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Does the building seem to have many entrances?

We could rig a loud trap with that box in case something comes outside

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Itec, shack explorers!
Twilight

Best not to be flanked, you reason, even if clearing the main building will take time. You give the order and proceed to the main entrance.

The structure has three notable sectors. In order of size, the warehouse, the workers quarters, and administration.
The warehouse leads directly into the mine, whereas management rests higher up in the building, betraying its human design.

You enter a courtyard, various stairs and doorways leading to all the areas previously described. No kobolds about, as far as you can tell.

Again, reason stipulates you clear it top to bottom so you head directly for the stairwell leading upwards.

---

What light still filters in through the large, broken windows reveals a chaotic mess of ransacked offices. Precious ledgers have been thrown to the ground, barrels emptied and nails pried from planks.
The central table of the first room you enter is missing a leg, but seems to have been propped up with the remains of a kobold.

There is blood nearly everywhere. Whose, you can't rightly tell. No other corpses present themselves. However, you hear distinctly koboldlike voices from the next room over.

---

“But mappe sayz is over here! Here is supposed to be more booms!”
“You not know read, gurjan! You hold it inside out doof!”
“I know two read!! You doof yip yip!” “Am best reader, all mountain!”
“You not read so bad, you brain is go blind!”
“Is your brain what is blind for traps, norflip! All day scissor, all day!”
“Is cuz trap is best.”
“You is trap.”
“Sssh! I hears coming, thems hunams outside?! Go hiding now!”

--

You hear a scramble from the other side of the wall. The room you are in has three exists; One leading back to where you came from, the courtyard, the other into the room where you heard the Kobolds,
and a third leading of into some other place, presumably also an office.

The doors of this place are solid oak, but the interior walls are made of slightly flimsier stuff.
Here and there calcified slime has been used to make patch-jobs or cover-ups where the wear and tear of everyday life has gotten too much for the wood to handle.

You look to your assembled team to devise a plan of attack, but your eyes linger on Skvababt for a moment longer than usual.

Her moist skin, so often succor in times of doubt, seems drier than usual. Though her bulging eyes betray nothing and her perfect smile is still as ever.
---

1: Where do you go first?
A: Go back out, try another area first.
B: Barge into the Kobold-room.
C: Check the other door.

2: If heading further in, how do you go about it? Who goes first, what strategy do you employ for battle?
D: Write-in.

---

[ITEC quick battle summary]
Everyone is Healthy, Well Fed and Moderately Rested.
Morale is improving.The mood is tense.

Konnie, Kvelar, Khami, Johakim and Tommy urge Caution.
Konnie suggests you try to flank around them by checking the other room first. Khami agrees.
Abigail wants to get stuck in as soon as possible.
Skvababt remains quiet.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Changed below

They probably trapped that door, so we should do our best to go around.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 27, 2016

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

could we do a controlled smoke fire in front of the door without risky burning down the whole place?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Burn down the whole place and blame it on the kobolds. Smoke em out.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Fire questions

Toughy posted:

could we do a controlled smoke fire in front of the door without risky burning down the whole place?

The house is mostly old and wooden. All the windows are broken. You could very easily start a fire. You don't fancy your chances of stopping it once it gets going.

Perhaps if you found a large cauldron somewhere, that could be used to contain the fire? But how would you direct it?

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

smoke fire, as in things that'll burn and produce smoke, leaves, moss, wet wood, then you direct with man power fans, you'll hear the kobolds panic before they come out

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Call out to the kobolds, "if you give us one book each we'll let you go down stairs"

These guys are dumb, let's see how dumb they are. Also boom jelly gently caress yes please gotta get us some boom jelly.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Do not burn down the mine Jesus Christ.

I suggest we get crafty. The Kobolds caught us by sound, right? So I suggest that our party stays completely still, and completely silent near the door, and we have a couple of non-close combat people go back towards the courtyard. When the kobolds hear footsteps leaving (hopefully they will not be able to distinguish between the number of footsteps), they will think they're safe and hopefully soon leave the room. Then we just jump them.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

wait silently for them to come out and then chop them up.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
ITEC and the Office Kobolds
Twilight

You consider smoking the kobolds out. The office itself is full of things that could burn, but lacks proper containers to store the fire safely.
You do have the necessary materials in your pack (being somewhat fascinated with the nature of fire), however they would take a good ten minutes to transport up here.
Time during which anything could happen, and you’d be vulnerable to ambush. You make a mental note to invest in a fire-starting satchel, or something, so your future self can always be prepared for the tempting blaze.

Instead, you figure you'll try out-smarting the kobolds.

“Oh, Sorry!” you shout, giving an exaggerated wink to your fellow compatriots. “We didn't realize you where in here! We'll just leave the way we came and you can go back to doing whatever you where doing!”

You make some frantic handgestures, indicating Tommy take position next to the door and everyone get ready for a counter-counter ambush, whilst you yourself make effort to stomp as heavily as you can towards the exit.

Some time passes.

---

“I told you traps where dumb, see! Hunams gone now without so much as one trapped!
They not even come into room for to be trapped by us!”

“No doof, is perfect! They so scared of trap; they not even come in! Now we no need hides and can look for boom again.”

“Ya, but here is no boom. Maybe in big boxy place?"

“Ya maybe. I just set one more trap then we go.”

“Is enough trap I think.”

“Never!!!”

You hear a bunch of loud noises from the other room.

---

What do you do?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Maybe we can goad them into fighting and blowing each other up... "Hi, we're back, oh your friend is back I hear, me and him had an interesting talk downstairs"

and claim that he totally did go away his friend just doesn't remember him going away, they don't seem very smart.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Heavy stomping sounds "Oh hey its me again. I heard you were looking for boom jelly, I think I found some on the way out. It's a big case but I don't need it but I'm looking for some books (or whatever they likely have in there), do you want to trade?"

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Wait a little longer... they have to come out soon (?) and we don't want to go in there where all their traps are.

Alternatively can we make a trap of our own for when they come out? Then we could just leave.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

since they are responsible for the traps, wait for them to come out and capture them. Then have them guide us through all the trap and mine navigation.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Nyaa posted:

since they are responsible for the traps, wait for them to come out and capture recruit them. Then have them guide us through all the trap and mine navigation.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Trapping Kobolds
Twilight

You decide to wait it out.

A pitterpatter of noise, probably footsteps, followed again by the now familiar voices.

“Ack! Why you trap everything, how we suppose to get out?!”
“What you mean, use door?”
“Door you trappedd!”
“Ya! Is best trap, no one come in or out, ever!”
“But we in here!”
“Ohz. Ya didn't fink about dat.” “Maybe try windows?”

More footsteps, followed by a yelp, a twang and a loud mechanical noise and a crash from somewhere on the opposite side of the room.

"You doof!! Why you trap window also!? And say try window?! You no traps me!"
"Wat! I is no trap window! I trap floor all day! Floor and door and roof, all the oofs!"
"Window also oof!"
"No, window oow! I no trap oow, window must be selftrapped, I no trap it!"
"Window can't trap self, that ignorant!"
"You are ignore ants, you doof!!"
"Yip yip! I show you doof!"
"Aah!"

The voices continue like this for a short while, slowly grow more distant. Soon the sound of the mountain wind is your only companion.

1: You share a few awkward glances with your companions. There are no more sounds on this floor.

A: Carefully check the other room.
B: Carefully check the trapped room.
C: Have Tommy make an improvised entrance to the trapped room, hopefully avoiding any door traps.
D: Go back outside, head down to the miners quarters.
E: Make a beeline for the windows, see if you can spot the trapping kobolds make their escape or in some other way intercept them. If indeed, they did escape, which seems likely.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

E.

We are here to kill kobolds. Thus we should make it a priority to find and murder them, only stopping for rooms if we hear sounds or such from inside of them to implicate possible kobold presence. No point in risking ourselves for trapped rooms, since we are likely to get handsomely rewarded anyway.

Also, do not beeline too quickly, keep an eye out for traps at all times.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Did we bring a long pole with us? Maybe we could find a couple, I think they'd come in handy...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
E plus find a ten foot pole

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

E

Find and kill kobolds...carefully

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Stop them!
Twilight

Realizing what has happened, you break your cover and beeline for the window, urging your ranged fighters to join you and for your meleé fighters to get ready to intercept should they need to.

You arrive just in time to see two kobolds half-climbing half-running down the wall of the building you are in, almost out of sight. The angle is tricky but both Kvelar and Skvababt have at least a chance of getting a few shots off before the Kobolds get away entirely.

Kvelars first shot whizzes past them, missing by inches, but his other shot will be the source of some joviality in the days to come. Perhaps due to his stature, nerves or the complexity of the angle, he attempts to fire but manages to jostle the bolt out of the track.
It falls harmlessly to the ground.

Skvababt seems off form somehow, as she scrambles to get three arrows out before the kobolds disappear from view. Her arrows fly straight and true, but the egressers are simply too nimble once on the ground and aware of the incoming attacks.
They yip and taunt and flee into the warehouse beneath you.

Fighting of the urge to illegally curse, you give the order to advance.

---

The Warehouse is in as much disarray as the rest of the building, with the exception that it is still in the process of being looted.
Here and there you hear koboldish squabbles and you quickly notice what you believe are the two kobolds from before trying to get themselves heard, seen, or hidden before things comes to blows.

Giant crates are stacked everywhere, their contents either strewn about the ground or still safely within their confines. A large track occupies part of the warehouse, one end receding into the darkness of the mine,
the other coming to a stop next to a gaggle of 'bolds who are in the process of prying them apart. Another overturned minecart offers to act as hard cover should anyone so desire.

The room is dusty and noisy but not particularly well lit, but from what you can tell the Kobolds have no problem navigating low-light conditions.

---

Any second now you *will* be spotted, if you haven’t been already. If for no other reason than the two Kobolds who you know have already seen you. Battle is inevitable.

1: You have time to give rudimentary orders. No more than two simple orders per person. “Go north, attack on sight!” or “Stay here, shoot that one!” Anything else will be played out after the fight has started.

What are your orders?

[ITEC Battle Summary]
Overall morale is high, but unstable, the mood is tense.
You are Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. You fight with Axe and Shield.
Kvelar: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with Axe and Shield, but has a short-range hand crossbow as well.
Tommy: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with a Greatclub.
Khami: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with an iron chain.
Johakim: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Avoids fighting, tends to wounds.
Konnie: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with newly purchased daggers. [01 kills]
Abigail: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with an iron quarterstaff. [01 assists]
Skvababt: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with a longbow. [02 kills]

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Important Tactical Information:
(As was requested in IRC, with further clarifications)

The crates are stacked two or three high. You might be able to topple them over, but such would require time and effort. You are not aware of their contents,
but can guess at it being stone and ore (very heavy, hard to budge), tools (likely ransacked by kobolds already) or supplies for the day to day running of the mine (likewise).

The crates provide partial cover, breaking line of sight if you take steps to hide behind them.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
North for most heavy hitters and sweep aeound, skabat and one or two others hunker down and snipe while preventing them from flanking us.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Right. I suggest aggression, instead of hunkering down. We know that kobolds are kinda cowardly, so a sudden and decisive charge is likely to take them off guard. However, if we tarry, then they have the chance to put that well known kobold deviousness to work after they calm down. We'd be playing into their strengths in that situation.

Skvab stays back with Johakim and shoots whichever kobolds look like they've got the best handle on the situation, that look like they are taking charge.

Most of us should charge straight into the rightmost group YELLING SAVAGELY to startle the cowardly kobolds.

Konnie should focus on trying to spot traps instead of fighting

Tommy and Abigail should pincer relatively sneakily from the left side, behind the crates, ready to flank the kobolds after they congregate towards the main group.

Since we only have a couple seconds, I suppose we would make the order as thus: Point to Tommy and Abigail and make the sign for 'sneak flank) and point towards the crates. Motion for Johakim to stay back, Tell Skvab to 'shoot leaders', tell Konnie to keep watch, tell the others to charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Works for me.