Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mega64 posted:

Tell me the loving essence of Final Fantasy you bastard.

Slaying god and building friendships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Slaying god and building friendships?

I... can't actually argue with this.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ImpAtom posted:

I... can't actually argue with this.

Yes you can, you only kill god in a few games. :colbert: Even FFX, which popularised the JRPG Religion = Evil thing, only has you fight what amounts to a prophet afaik.

Unrelated, if it was better written FFXIII could have a lot to say about teamwork. A lot of people dislike the parts where the party is split up, and the "fight" as Hope against the Ushumgal Subjugator (why the gently caress do I remember that name?) shows that even Lcie are useless alone. Chalk up another wasted opportunity in 13 I guess. :v:

E: VVV Meant it started the widespread misconception that it's always the case, changed wording.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 24, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

um excuse me but it was actually Lunar 2 that started religion = evil, thanks

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

voltcatfish posted:

Tales of Destiny did it pretty well too.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Augus posted:

X-2 is a good and fun game it's just that it's all over the place and some of the bad parts are really bad.

Yeah that's it actually. I forgot how bad some of it can get so when I replayed it on the Vita I was like... oh right some of this was dogshit. Also the battle system has a neat idea and horrible execution

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

X-2 suffers from a similar problem that XIII-2 does in that it has the framework of a great combat system but the game is either so poorly designed, so easy, or both, that you never have a reason for interacting with it.

The reason for interacting with it is because it's fun.

Why do you hate fun.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

AlphaKretin posted:

Yes you can, you only kill god in a few games. :colbert: Even FFX, which popularised the JRPG Religion = Evil thing, only has you fight what amounts to a prophet afaik.

You fight and kill gods in the sense that you kill people or spirits who have or are trying to transcend mortality. It's part of FF's D&D roots, since that is a common motif there as well.

You're not usually killing some singular deity in the Yahweh sense, though I guess FF13 sort of approaches that.

Edit: off the top of my head, "killing minor deities or people who have transcended into Godhood" accurately describes:
4: Zemus was ascending to Godhood
5: Same but with Exdeath
6: Same but with Kefka
7: Sephiroth/Jenova started a cult but it's hard to call them a deity more than a nihilistic force of death
8: Sorceresses were basically demigods so holds true
9: fighting the embodiment of Death counts
10: Sin was effectively a very real, very destructive God and there was a system in place to worship it
11: Big bad in vanilla was a regular dude who became a bitter God
12: Maybe not gods but old spirits with God like powers
13: killing Demigods VVV fair enough
14: every other boss is a minor deity

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 24, 2016

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nah, the things you murder in FF13 are Gods to humans, but aren't the creator of the universe in the Yahweh sense.

I actually really dig the cosmology of FFXIII, shame its wasted on such a miserable story.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

Although right now I'm hating Hope's AI. In every battle in the history of this game, he always starts by casting Protect. This one battle I need him to do that, he starts by casting Bravery and Faith. I don't need buffs you idiot, I need protection from the Centurion Blade while I let Poison, Deprotect and Snow kill the Tyrant.

XIII-2 letting you change party leader mid-battle was possibly its greatest improvement.

Synergists' default AI goes Haste > Protect/Shell/Veil > Vigilance/Bravery/Faith. If the enemy has noted stuff in its scan notes then they will go after Haste instead (so being weak to Lightning will have them cast Enthunder after Haste).

This is part of why I prefer Sazh over Hope as a SYN because you can kind of skip Protect/Shell on his Crystarium.

NikkolasKing posted:

Not really. It's only a factor with Balthier/Guns and Fran/Bows. I never had a problem with any party I used. Just give them a sword and they all stab just as good.

It's also a factor with Penelo and every ranged weapon except Hand-Bombs for some reason.

My favourite party in XII has somehow turned out to be Basch and then some combination of Balthier/Vaan/Penelo.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Barudak posted:

Nah, the things you murder in FF13 are Gods to humans, but aren't the creator of the universe in the Yahweh sense.

I actually really dig the cosmology of FFXIII, shame its wasted on such a miserable story.

Until FF13-3 where Lightning literally says we are killing God (Capital G God, like, the creator God) multiple times and also you kill him

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ok, so. FF 12 IZJS English. I balls up ripping my disc and it takes four times as long as it needs to. The patcher either freezes or crashes at type_05 with a 700 MB file. I slog through the unreadable thread to find out that I'm not alone, the issue is the OS not liking how fast it creates and deletes files, and the solution is to slow it down by running it off a USB. I don't have one big enough. No alternatives I try work. I get frustrated because I can't even pretend to be doing something by futilely Googling for answers because I know the answer, I just can't act on it. But wait, I find a big enough USB! I excitedly transfer the files and run the patcher, and it is indeed running slower... only for it to loving crash at type_05 anyway.:shepicide:

The best part is, the conversation on the last page makes me think that if I do make it work, after all this, I might not enjoy it anyway. :negative:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Magic animation in FFXII is going to make a way bigger difference. Only one spell can be on-screen at a time, but characters can keep using physical attacks. So you can prevent magic-heavy enemies from acting by using spells with long animations (mostly black magic) and you can focus on physical attacks to keep attacking through enemy spells.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
FF12 reactions are unpredictable. I love 12 but have no interest in playing 10 a second time. Also never played an MMO and I got bored with Dragon Age after 30 minutes.

I encourage more games with the Vagrant Story/Ivalice aesthetic. FF12 was faintly Vagrant Story-esque.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Electromax posted:

I encourage more games with the Vagrant Story/Ivalice aesthetic. FF12 was faintly Vagrant Story-esque.

"Faintly"? The music and the visual style are really similar, and there's a lot of smaller stuff too. For example the sounds and animations when you're casting a spell are practically identical to VS.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

Breath of Fire II came out a few weeks before that!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

ApplesandOranges posted:

My favourite party in XII has somehow turned out to be Basch and then some combination of Balthier/Vaan/Penelo.

That's because Basch is the best :blush: and Balthier is also the best :smuggo:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Srice posted:

Breath of Fire II came out a few weeks before that!

Oh gently caress you for beating me to that, I even went and looked up the dates ready to smug it up and oh look here's Srice the thunder thief thieving my thunder t:mad:

But yeah, BoFII was the first instance of an obvious stand-in for the Catholic church being a front for evil I can remember and I'm sure it derived inspiration from something that came before.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

AlphaKretin posted:

Ok, so. FF 12 IZJS English. I balls up ripping my disc and it takes four times as long as it needs to. The patcher either freezes or crashes at type_05 with a 700 MB file. I slog through the unreadable thread to find out that I'm not alone, the issue is the OS not liking how fast it creates and deletes files, and the solution is to slow it down by running it off a USB. I don't have one big enough. No alternatives I try work. I get frustrated because I can't even pretend to be doing something by futilely Googling for answers because I know the answer, I just can't act on it. But wait, I find a big enough USB! I excitedly transfer the files and run the patcher, and it is indeed running slower... only for it to loving crash at type_05 anyway.:shepicide:

The best part is, the conversation on the last page makes me think that if I do make it work, after all this, I might not enjoy it anyway. :negative:

They'll announce a port of FFXII IZJS for modern platforms any day now. Just wait for that.

Electromax posted:

FF12 reactions are unpredictable. I love 12 but have no interest in playing 10 a second time. Also never played an MMO and I got bored with Dragon Age after 30 minutes.

The same people worked on Vagrant Story and FFXII. It just so happens that all of those people have either left the company or now work on FFXIV 2.0 until the end of time.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Sunning posted:

They'll announce a port of FFXII IZJS for modern platforms any day now. Just wait for that.

I was actually going to until a poorly written grumble about how they hadn't yet derailed into encouragement to just try it already. :v: Now I'm too far in and irrational, I don't want to let this stupid patcher win. :argh:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I spent around an hour loving with the patcher before I finally got it working and I did all of the Reks stuff before I stopped and was like, "Yep, that's still this game I don't like. It's faster at least."

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
Who's getting FF Explorers? Let's preemptively add each other.

Also, anyone know if the in-game questions for legendary weapons is only exclusive to the collector's edition? I really want the WHM Thyrus weapon.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Synergists' default AI goes Haste > Protect/Shell/Veil > Vigilance/Bravery/Faith. If the enemy has noted stuff in its scan notes then they will go after Haste instead (so being weak to Lightning will have them cast Enthunder after Haste).

Well I guess his AI was bugged or something. In that one fight and that one fight alone he kept doing Bravery and Faith first and never did Protect. My many deaths can attest to this.

Speaking of which, my memory is weird. In my first run, I remember that boss you fight with Lightning and Hope in the woods eing really easy and Barthandelus2 was easy as well while Barthandelus 1 was a nightmare. In this run, it was the reverse with Bart 1 being easy and the others having me die multiple times. I can only assume it's because I care about rank this time around. Bart 2 isn't really hard - all his attacks are weak as poo poo. But trying to five star it meant I just attacked attacked and attacked. That got me killed a lot. I finally used my huge stockpile of CP to make Snow a Synergist so we could re-buff herself faster after he inevitably just wiped away all our buffs with that one dick move of his. That helped, I beat him in half my target time.

Is there any point to the Stagger Lock weapons?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

NikkolasKing posted:

Is there any point to the Stagger Lock weapons?

If you pair them with specific accessories, you can get an ability that gives each of your attacks a tiny chance to instantly stagger the enemy. Goes best on Sazh since he hits so many times. The actual stagger lock ability doesn't even matter that much anyway.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Momomo posted:

If you pair them with specific accessories, you can get an ability that gives each of your attacks a tiny chance to instantly stagger the enemy. Goes best on Sazh since he hits so many times. The actual stagger lock ability doesn't even matter that much anyway.

I suppose, it just feels like there are a lot of weird, gimmick weapons in this game. Like increasing Snow's magic stat, the "Wall" ability which sounds absolutely useless and other stuff.

The only good weapon abilities I've seen are Improved Debuffing and maybe Auto-Protect for Hope's weapon I just got. Haven't used it but it sounds good.

Tae posted:

Snow is iirc one of the best RAVs because his animation is so fast.

I know but that's for chainining, not damage. A weapon to increase his Mag is still useless.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 24, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Snow is iirc one of the best RAVs because his animation is so fast.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Is Final Fantasy XII good? If so, when does it get good?

I just wanted to add in a "No" and "It doesn't" here. I tried with FFXII because I love Final Fantasy, but I couldn't. I'll grant the game that I was in full "gently caress these random encounters" mode when I played it, so I probably deserved all of the difficulty. However, the combat was very unfun. The moment I'll always remember is when I was in a boss fight with a judge on an airship. I just did like...I dunno, 20 Quickenings. I opened the fight spamming a Limit Break and just did it until I felt like he was dead. And he was. At that point, why even continue playing?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I didn't like it at first but the game really clicked for me when I started doing the hunts + I ended up putting like 80 hours into it I guess

I think it's the only FF I never went back and replayed though (but I'll buy the inevitable HD version because the Zodiac Job System thing sounds fun)

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Is there anything else of note in the Necrohol of Nabudis besides the Zodiac Spear? I wanted to go to the hidden merchant that's apparently there, and I'm still getting my poo poo kicked in despite my guys being levels 57-60. Not only that but I think I accidentally triggered some undead ghost guy that teleports and that went as well as I expected it to.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Armitage posted:

Is there anything else of note in the Necrohol of Nabudis besides the Zodiac Spear? I wanted to go to the hidden merchant that's apparently there, and I'm still getting my poo poo kicked in despite my guys being levels 57-60. Not only that but I think I accidentally triggered some undead ghost guy that teleports and that went as well as I expected it to.

Lots of optional bosses/summons, I think?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Armitage posted:

Zodiac/Zodiark, whatever it's called, is there. I think you might have to get all the other Espers though, it's been a while.

But yes, that place will kick the poo poo out of you just getting there.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Well, is it known for having a extremely slow start? At first, you're just going on a hunt, then going around a desert touching a stone to 4 things, then going into the sewers to sneak into a party. Pretty weak stuff. After that, you meet some guys and it looks like something is finally happening but it just leads to a prison dungeon and more desert wandering. Then you're back in the first town and have to walk to three different places in the town finding people. 7 hours.

My memory of it is that this is indicative of the rest of the game. You spend an unbelievable amount of time wandering around in places that don't matter, and you spend a lot of time walking all over towns pointlessly finding people just to progress the plot. Yes, let's make this stupid chop trading "minigame" bullshit mandatory to advance the story. And that's like two thirds of the way into the game. So if you're asking whether or not the formula ever changes from what you're disliking about it right now? The answer is no, it never, ever does.

bloodychill posted:

9: fighting the embodiment of Death counts

Hey, if we're counting 9, we gotta count 3, too, since they're basically the same thing

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 24, 2016

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

FactsAreUseless posted:

Zodiac/Zodiark, whatever it's called, is there. I think you might have to get all the other Espers though, it's been a while.

Yeah, I snuck in early on and got the Zodiac Spear, and had to move very carefully so I didn't get killed in one or two hits.

Now I get killed in 3-4 :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nah that's the Henne Mines, which are even worse

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

The White Dragon posted:

Hey, if we're counting 9, we gotta count 3, too, since they're basically the same thing

I haven't played 1-3 so I couldn't rightly speak on them. But sounds about right!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

AlphaKretin posted:

Maybe there's some other way to get a patched version of the game or the .iso you're looking for. I can't imagine what, but there may be some other way.

Armitage posted:

There are some potential nice items, but like far too many of the chests in the vanilla version, you might have to try the chest a bunch of times before getting something good. So not worth it when the enemies can tear you a new one.

Baal posted:

I spent around an hour loving with the patcher before I finally got it working and I did all of the Reks stuff before I stopped and was like, "Yep, that's still this game I don't like. It's faster at least."

Wow, the Reks stuff! That's almost, like 7 or 8 minutes into the game! With none of the actual game mechanics available. I mean, if you can't stand the very basic "move your character" and "select attack" part of the game, then yeah, you probably shouldn't have bothered.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The Reks stuff is the highlight of intro really so I can understand a snap judgement. I remember back at release it was like oh man they've got FF11 gameplay without needing to put together a party and its this neat in media res intro. And then you kill a dozen rats before playing courier for 2 hours.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

zedprime posted:

The Reks stuff is the highlight of intro really so I can understand a snap judgement. I remember back at release it was like oh man they've got FF11 gameplay without needing to put together a party and its this neat in media res intro. And then you kill a dozen rats before playing courier for 2 hours.

Vaan Ratsbane deserves no less.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I liked what I played of XII but then I took a break from the game and came back a few months later and realized that all of my characters were literally the exact same with no recognizable specializations. At that point I decided I'll just wait for the inevitable International Zodiac HD remake.

The setting is really cool though, and I thought the English writing and dialogue was way above Square's usual standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Until FF13-3 where Lightning literally says we are killing God (Capital G God, like, the creator God) multiple times and also you kill him

GOD IS DEAD