Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It also clearly fucks up because it rams a ship and then quantum drives(?) away

The gif makes it look like they've almost massaged out chris' headbob folly. Bit i checked out the video and nope, still bobbin like a robin. Thousands of man hours will be devoted to fixing that dumb idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Berious posted:

Agreed, plus not cash cow because they haven't put out a product yet. Or analysis paralysis because that implies some design beyond the fever dreams of a human thumb.

Everything else applies

No it's definitely cash cow. Their product is dreams. Their enemy is playable software.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

everyone should start pushing the narrative that citizens should be thankful for smart and his goons because without them they would still be playing arena commander

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Berious posted:

The gif makes it look like they've almost massaged out chris' headbob folly. Bit i checked out the video and nope, still bobbin like a robin. Thousands of man hours will be devoted to fixing that dumb idea

Let's be honest, even if it was "fixed, it was probably someone just editing the game's files to remove the headbob.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gwaihir posted:

It's not related to cryeninge, as much as it is the gameplay design and supporting server structures.
MMOs typically have a global limit on how many actions can happen at once/that the servers need to process at once in the form of a global cooldown on your skills. (Never played Archage, but I assume it's the same as WoW, and every other MMO on the planet in this regard).
They also don't rely (*Typically) on things like tracking projectiles in flight at all (You cast fireball at a target, the client is entirely responsible for drawing that projectile speeding from your hand to the chosen target), and don't really need to worry about doing stuff like host state rewind latency calculations to see if you actually made that headshot or not. (This is a little simplifications, MMOs do care about latency- Just look at stuff like a spell interrupt going off in time correctly, for example).

TLDR Typical MMO combat is far far simpler and easier to manage server side than typical FPS or god forbid sim-type combat with big piles of weapons all spewing rapid fire projectiles that need to be tracked and so on.

Octopode posted:

The instance limit is not an inherent limit based on CryEngine, it's dependent on the supporting server and client communications code and supporting infrastructure capabilities, which are generally unique to each company's implementation.

Most traditional MMOs also have a much higher limit to how quickly any given action can be expected to be resolved between the client and server (e.g., WoW's global cooldown), which gives a much higher tolerance on the server side than something like SC, which needs to keep its server calculations and checking fast enough to feel real-time. If you know you only need to keep each connected client updated once every second or so, that's a much easier problem to deal with than needing to keep every connected client updated every 1/60th of a second (or faster).

tooterfish posted:

It's not real time, it's a completely different kettle of fish.

OIC, thank you.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
http://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/feature/the-star-citizen-honeymoon-is-over,413944

Apparently it's ok to rape in star citizen, but selling your ships on reddit is the lowest act you can possibly accomplish.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42fkkm/the_doxer_of_crs_kid_and_sandi_stalker_may_have/

Remember the letter from CR as a response to the escapist when his kid got doxed? Well in it he talks about a guy with a twitter account @istheguy (now gone from twitter) who posted all that information. @istheguy was amongst other things a huge fan of Lizzy Finnegan, the writer of that hitpiece on escapist to the point that even CR (wrongly) had the idea they were the same person.
Ok so now it may get seriously weird to the point of conspiracy theory. @istheguy was said to be the same person as 'pressfarttocontinue'
Pressfarttocontinue is better known as the stalker of youtuber Dodger from polaris. Pressfarttocontinue is also known as 'Nick Monroe' -> "Nick Monroe, the creator of YouTube channel PressFartToContinue"
And a guy named 'Nick Monroe' in turn is now employed by the escapist and a fan of Lizzy Finnegan
Now this is all circumstantial, the only thing that may point to a direct link between @istheguy and Nick Monroe that I have seen is this picture that was posted on the escapist forums and the link between Nick Monroe and pressfarttocontinue may even be just a case of namesakes. But I feel this is a bit too much of a coincidence.
The timing of events is also... interesting with 'Nick Monroe's' first article being on october 8th a week after the whole escapist article debacle.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CashEnsign posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42fkkm/the_doxer_of_crs_kid_and_sandi_stalker_may_have/

Remember the letter from CR as a response to the escapist when his kid got doxed? Well in it he talks about a guy with a twitter account @istheguy (now gone from twitter) who posted all that information. @istheguy was amongst other things a huge fan of Lizzy Finnegan, the writer of that hitpiece on escapist to the point that even CR (wrongly) had the idea they were the same person.
Ok so now it may get seriously weird to the point of conspiracy theory. @istheguy was said to be the same person as 'pressfarttocontinue'
Pressfarttocontinue is better known as the stalker of youtuber Dodger from polaris. Pressfarttocontinue is also known as 'Nick Monroe' -> "Nick Monroe, the creator of YouTube channel PressFartToContinue"
And a guy named 'Nick Monroe' in turn is now employed by the escapist and a fan of Lizzy Finnegan
Now this is all circumstantial, the only thing that may point to a direct link between @istheguy and Nick Monroe that I have seen is this picture that was posted on the escapist forums and the link between Nick Monroe and pressfarttocontinue may even be just a case of namesakes. But I feel this is a bit too much of a coincidence.
The timing of events is also... interesting with 'Nick Monroe's' first article being on october 8th a week after the whole escapist article debacle.

TIL, no one else in the world is named Nick Monroe.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

CashEnsign posted:

Why would anyone care enough to do this much :effort:

I'm still shocked that people care that others don't like the thing they like. I can't recall a single time getting mad that an anonymous third entity did not like a video game I was playing, let alone getting mad enough to do 'detective work' on the anonymous third entity.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

CashEnsign posted:

you know all this youtube drama and poo poo about people i don't know nor give a poo poo about? yeah idgaf

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

2DCAT posted:

Why would anyone care enough to do this much :effort:

I'm still shocked that people care that others don't like the thing they like. I can't recall a single time getting mad that an anonymous third entity did not like a video game I was playing, let alone getting mad enough to do 'detective work' on the anonymous third entity.

Did you miss the links earlier in the thread of their "dark knights" posting pictures of themselves with guns in SC gear, insinuating in those threads that they're ready to kill people who criticize Star Citizen? A lot of them are legit mental about this poo poo-tier non-existent video game.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

That Works posted:

This thread convinced me to resub for EVE. gently caress.

Its pernicious, is it not ? Since i have started following this dumpster fire i have scrounged the bottom of the barrel in the space game category, from Star Nomad 2 to Grox Operative, by the way of X3, always hoping to scratch an itch i just cant reach...

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tippis posted:

This broken →

Shitizen A

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Prices really have crashed, lti aurora's were going for $150.

Just as I predicted and said they would. Just sayin' :p

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Prices really have crashed, lti aurora's were going for $150.

Just as I predicted and said they would. Just sayin' :p

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

fuctifino posted:

A pistol vs The Constellation.

e: I can't seem to a find a way to just link to the webm. It automatically embeds it in the post.

e2: Ah, that did it.

Immersion.

And no, that's not even funny.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nemo2342 posted:

I lost some time thanks to this morning's earthquake, but I now only have 30 more pages to go.

And done. I'm finally caught up on the thread, and I just hope I don't get so far behind this week!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I've been working on a theory about the original marketing plan for this game mass delusion and think I'm pretty close. SC thread please peer review my model.

I am legit fascinated by the combination of personality disorder (from pretty much everyone involved including us) and exploitation on display here.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

drat, Derek with the quad posting.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Solarin posted:

I've been working on a theory about the original marketing plan for this game mass delusion and think I'm pretty close. SC thread please peer review my model.

I am legit fascinated by the combination of personality disorder (from pretty much everyone involved including us) and exploitation on display here.

That is one of the most brilliant things I've seen in this thread. A+

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

fuctifino posted:

A pistol vs The Constellation.

e: I can't seem to a find a way to just link to the webm. It automatically embeds it in the post.

e2: Ah, that did it.

Screw fighters. Just get jetpacks and zoom around the 'verse wrecking everything.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I made a quick playlist of good star citizen youtube videos. Let me know if you think anything should be added. I tried to stick with stuff that was pretty self-explanatory and not too heavy on goon in-jokes.

You missed the one with croberts trying to play his own game

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

CashEnsign posted:

Dammit, and all this time I thought it was Professor Plum in the library with the candlestick .

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Also, the best part of this thread is the insinuation that Totalbiscuit's criticisms are only because he has cancer and is afraid he won't see the game released before he dies.

What the gently caress is wrong with these people.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

"Something finite cannot exist in something infinite"

makes sense

I think that is the opposite of how it is, isn't it? I mean, you can't have an infinite thing in a finite thing.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Unfunny Poster posted:

Also, the best part of this thread is the insinuation that Totalbiscuit's criticisms are only because he has cancer and is afraid he won't see the game released before he dies.

:stonk:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

That Works posted:

https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/6...0772&nid=244+40

How do you embed tweets? Lowtax is starting the glorious crusade.

https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/691376529666748416

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Unfunny Poster posted:

"He has cancer! He believes in this, because he's gonna die soon! How can you be so cruel as to take that away from him?!"

"Oh, he has cancer! He's just jealous, because he's gonna die soon and will never get to play this game, so he has to ruin it for others! gently caress him!"

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Daztek posted:

That made me wikipedia the Ninety-ninety rule which led me to Anti-pattern and well...

How many of these can you attribute to CIG? :v:

I would honestly say all of them except "management by objectives" because there are no objectives in this bitch.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

MeLKoR posted:

I would honestly say all of them except "management by objectives" because there are no objectives in this bitch.

Dreams. Dreams are the objective.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42fkkm/the_doxer_of_crs_kid_and_sandi_stalker_may_have/cz9yvxg

Leviatein posted:

its basically certain that bandit = fart, search or ask in kotakuinaction for more info id say, i know they deal with him, also consider involving TB/polaris/dodger, if it gets outed that escapist hired a doxxer and harasser and someone as mentally unstable as fart then they would get rekt

kamhan posted:

He is emotional about SC and wants to believe it isn't good because there is a chance he may not see the release day of SC. And IIRC he was recently learned his relapse when he said these things.

Emphasis mine.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 25, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rad Russian posted:

Did you miss the links earlier in the thread of their "dark knights" posting pictures of themselves with guns in SC gear, insinuating in those threads that they're ready to kill people who criticize Star Citizen? A lot of them are legit mental about this poo poo-tier non-existent video game.

I love those because I get to critique their poo poo taste in video games and firearms.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Unfunny Poster posted:

Emphasis mine.

Yeah, I'm sure the quality of Star Citizen's release is at the forefront of TBs thoughts.

Also, TB must be some sort of really awful person to hope for things to be terrible just because he might not be there. He's probably rooting for a comet to strike the earth too.

:psypop:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

apparently this video proves that star citizen is "real 64-bit".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G29b0GKX6Sc

I have no idea what I'm supposed to be seeing :shrug:

They're idiots. It doesn't prove anything related to the game being 64-Bits. In fact, it's not. They're still confusing 64-Bit engine with 64-Bit positioning.

1) They need to know the distance of the ship to the Covalex

2) They need to know the expanse (range) of the region

3) Even though you can see the ship moving, that's normal and is nothing ground breaking since it's being rendered within the observer's PoV.

Aside from that, they are both in the same region co-ordinates, so I don't understand why they don't expect to see the ship moving through space

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah, I'm sure the quality of Star Citizen's release is at the forefront of TBs thoughts.

Also, TB must be some sort of really awful person to hope for things to be terrible just because he might not be there. He's probably rooting for a comet to strike the earth too.

:psypop:

Like I get you can dislike the guy for what he says or how, that makes sense and is fine. Plenty of people here both detest him, and also find him to be alright (see: Slowbeef etc.) and that's cool, because you know that's how normal humans are.

What I genuinely don't get is how you can justify that sort of reasoning, and not think you're a huge piece of poo poo at the same time.

The gently caress is wrong with these shitheads.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Midnight Voyager posted:

I think that is the opposite of how it is, isn't it? I mean, you can't have an infinite thing in a finite thing.

I'm not so sure. I'm seeing infinite stupidity in these very finite minds.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
If I post myself with guns, does that make me an anti-dark knight? Do I become a white knight, or does that turn me into something completely different like a void knight?

So many questions...

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

D_Smart posted:

Aside from that, they are both in the same region co-ordinates, so I don't understand why they don't expect to see the ship moving through space

Well, it's pretty hard to see thing when you're flying some ships!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

CashEnsign posted:

It's bullshit. That's not him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

D_Smart posted:

Because some of these people haven't played video games since the 1990s, apparently.

• Locked thread