Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Daztek posted:

quote:

Today we have 10 for the Chairman, where Chris covers a number of topics including a minor update to the current philosophy and status of Star Marine. Wednesday brings us a Special Subscriber Edition of Reverse the Verse with special guest Sean Tracy. Be sure to have your technical questions ready, and pass them on to a subscriber if you aren't one already. Around the Verse on Thursday has both an interview with Mark Skelton and a roundtable with the Flight Team (Pete Mackay, John Pritchett, and Calix Reneau) discussing continuing updates to the flight model, while Friday brings us our regularly scheduled version of Reverse the Verse, hopefully with more energy and flu virus.

Also of note: The Saitek HOTAS Pre-Order that we thought might begin this week is not, in fact, beginning this week. We're as anxious as many of you to get our hands on these and we hope to have more info to share with you in the coming weeks.
:allears:

Oh I can't loving WAIT for the Star Marine bait and switch. Get your comedy pants on kiddos.

Gonna be a good week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Ahh...the bad old days...I still remember the diplomatic efforts after that to patch something up during PAX AUS, but alas...there could be no peas. He left the peas on the table.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sillybones posted:

Are these people unaware that people can lie to them? Maybe not everything they say on these 'open development' videos might actually be true. I can't even work out how they get into this mindset considering just how many times CIG has failed to meet up with their statements. Double-think layered on double-think.

It is mind-boggling how much blind trust they put into everything. 'Oh, he said there will be pants making GBS threads for food poisoning? Makes sense, I am going to join the Space FDA!' Its like they've never dealt with the outside world where people don't always tell the truth. Not to mention this has been a pattern for years. This isn't a recent development. The only thing that makes me sad are how many other projects are deserving of the funds rather than this one. Otherwise these people deserve to lose their money.

It is cruel to say, but if you are this stupid and arrogant while maintaining your ignorance and your only arguments consist of down-voting and logical fallacies, you deserve what is coming to you.

You know, they say it jokingly, but its something I believe will actually be true.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

EightAce posted:

I don't want to say to much about Erin. What I will say is he only exists in the industry because of Chris and unlike Chris he has no discernable ability in any field.
He has a degree in geography I suppose so that makes him far more qualified than his sister in law .
Re:SQ42. No way can they get it out this year, if they went into permanent tag team crunch they couldn't do it. The arrogance of the top brass means they simply are not worried. If they just break every promise on everything they said they would do (which they pretty much are doing ) the horde would just give them more cash.
You are looking at early 2018 for a playable , almost there version of sq42 IF it was somehow streamlined. And between 2019 and never for all the other shite Chris has promised.
This is my opinion backed up by what I have seen behind closed doors and what I have been told by those that would definitely know.

whoa

how many threads 'til release?

how many smilies

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

I dropped like 140 bucks on lifetime pass for Elite Dangerous over the summer, and every time I feel bad about it I look at this thread and see what people have spent money on and who is in charge of that money and I'm always like "boy, spending that much money on a video game isn't nearly as stupid of an idea as it could have been"

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Toops posted:

There's a AtV episode where they interview the animators, and they say flat out they basically spend most of their time writing scripts to matchify different disparate mo-cap data, and schmear it all onto the moving target that is the skeletal rig. As of that update, they were on v9 of the rig.

So yes, there's plenty of truth to it. It's why the animations have been hosed for always.

I'll dig up the link.

http://imperialnews.network/2015/11/around-verse-episode-2-08/

Some real gems in there.

quote:

{person} works on animation for Star Citizen characters. As they use motion capture {person} helps make sure the animations sync up with the in game skeleton.

Taking massive datasets of Croberts mocap diarrhea and trying to munge it into something usable? I don't wish this job on my worst enemy.

quote:

A lot of work goes into retargeting and making sure animations are correct. The V7 Rig compared to V4 for example has a significant change in terms of how the accuracy.(sic?? siiick) Making sure that character’s arms and legs are not clipping and having them seated correctly in chairs and etc. One of the issues they had for awhile was two actors could be the same height but their legs or spine, etc may be longer or shorter and this caused issues with reach. Now they have a system in place to standardize everything. This was especially a problem with ships as you need the character to be lined up perfectly so they are able to use the hud and see outside the cockpit the same way another person would. They also make sure that there is variety in animations as having the same one for everything would be boring.

This is a massive undertaking, and just one of the infinity reasons why game designers don't loving make games of this scope.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

It's going to be amazing when we have 3rd party stuff like the HOTAS coming out for a game that doesn't exist.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

I enjoy reading Octopode's posts to be honest. They're just pure emotionless data as he understands it. I'm not really concerned too much about whether or not he's right - it's just entertaining to have our very own Commander Data pop in at impossible to predict intervals to drop these sentences that read like they're part of a user manual for an unknown device. And the hell of it is, he is right sometimes. Does everyone just give him poo poo because he takes CIG's statements at face value?

At this point I'm perpetually behind by a ways, but wanted to say this exactly, please keep posting, Octopode!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sillybones posted:

Are these people unaware that people can lie to them? Maybe not everything they say on these 'open development' videos might actually be true. I can't even work out how they get into this mindset considering just how many times CIG has failed to meet up with their statements. Double-think layered on double-think.

No more release dates? gently caress Yeah! :gary:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Would someone please give us the cliffsnotes ? That thing looks like a long screencapted wall of text. I'm all for reading but that blue on blue color choice is making me eyes hurt.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Haha what the gently caress

yeah, technical issues are totally the blocker here

not that management has no loving idea and no one in the know would dare to put real numbers up

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

CrazyLoon posted:

Lol, I stopped bargaining when I withdrew all my cash and got extra, tyvm. This project is hosed beyond repair by this point IMO. I just think his approach is legit moreso solid than that of CR, at least from what little one can see of Foundry 42, but hey :shrug: maybe he's an rear end in a top hat with ties to the Uppsala mafia or whatevs.

I'm glad you are better. I myself went through all 7 stages and I never put in a cent, it's very easy to get caught up in this game.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

serious norman posted:

you all have sex with farm animals

well you don't :smuggo:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

aleksendr posted:

Would someone please give us the cliffsnotes ? That thing looks like a long screencapted wall of text. I'm all for reading but that blue on blue color choice is making me eyes hurt.

It's a guy having a nervous breakdown and sending a private message chain to hundreds of people who have no clue what he's on about.

CIG limited the number of people that could be on a private message on the forums after this happened.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
prediction for Chris's Star Marine update:

quote:

[hands immediately begin making erratic zigzag pattern towards the camera]

We felt as though the quickest way to go about delivering an immersive FPS experience was to code directly for the PU instead of developing a separate module [One hand is balled into a fist to represent the module, while the other covers and spreads over the fist] The module is coming, but we are going to reverse engineer the process so that we can give you the full experience in SQ42, and then make a more competitive multiplayer experience [stands up and begins circle strafing while pretend shooting and making pewpew noises between words, bits of spittle flying everywhere] once we've developed the right tech and the right assets. We will soon be adding new weapons and abilities to the in-game shop in Alpha 2.2, so you will see the improvements in our FPS system as they come together. [Double Middle Finger, Huckaby edits this part out].

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Why is Star Citizen the only game where people have to convince others it is good and pre ordering it isn't the dumbest thing ever. Does this happen to COD or MW? How about AC, or FF or MGS?

I see so many "yeah my friends think I am so stupid, but they'll be sorry!!" and I just don't feel that happens in 90% of other IPs.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

HKS posted:

I'm glad you are better. I myself went through all 7 stages and I never put in a cent, it's very easy to get caught up in this game.

I kinda get what you mean by that. I mean poo poo, right now, as a non-American, I find myself strangely invested in hoping it turns out to be Sanders vs. Trump in the end, no matter which of the two wins. And like...I don't quite care which madness wins, just so long as it'll be mad.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Daztek posted:

quote:

Today we have 10 for the Chairman, where Chris covers a number of topics including a minor update to the current philosophy and status of Star Marine. Wednesday brings us a Special Subscriber Edition of Reverse the Verse with special guest Sean Tracy. Be sure to have your technical questions ready, and pass them on to a subscriber if you aren't one already. Around the Verse on Thursday has both an interview with Mark Skelton and a roundtable with the Flight Team (Pete Mackay, John Pritchett, and Calix Reneau) discussing continuing updates to the flight model, while Friday brings us our regularly scheduled version of Reverse the Verse, hopefully with more energy and flu virus.

Also of note: The Saitek HOTAS Pre-Order that we thought might begin this week is not, in fact, beginning this week. We're as anxious as many of you to get our hands on these and we hope to have more info to share with you in the coming weeks.

Now this is interesting

You usually don't "update" a philosophy of something

I hope for great things

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

whoa

how many threads 'til release?

how many smilies

Every last one of us must have a custom smilie.

Two weeks.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Now this is interesting

I hope for great things

Wait untill they retroactively alter the narative so that the new philosophy become "The real idea from the begining"

EastAsia. War. Always.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Schadenfreude

Superior AI

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Toops posted:

http://imperialnews.network/2015/11/around-verse-episode-2-08/

Some real gems in there.

Taking massive datasets of Croberts mocap diarrhea and trying to munge it into something usable? I don't wish this job on my worst enemy.

This is a massive undertaking, and just one of the infinity reasons why game designers don't loving make games of this scope.

By standardise do they mean that they have made all the characters the exact same size and shape? Like that isn't going to look wierd.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

stinch posted:

By standardise do they mean that they have made all the characters the exact same size and shape? Like that isn't going to look wierd.
I think they've also given every female character model heels.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Now this is interesting

I hope for great things
[/quote]

And lo it shall come to pass.
The philosophy is basically, we can't do all the poo poo Chris said we could but we really want to give you guys his 10 hour interactive movie.....so, we are going to have to put x,y,z on hold .... Etc

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

surc posted:

At this point I'm perpetually behind by a ways, but wanted to say this exactly, please keep posting, Octopode!

I agree Octopode keep posting. He really is this threads Data, except he frequently argues from unsound assumptions (eg CIG will make a good faith effort to fulfill all explicitly stated promises) so people get into heated arguments where they are saying the exact same things with different assumptions.

I think this illustrates Octopode and this thread:

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Now this is interesting

I hope for great things

Well, if you discover your engine does not support shotguns and you are trying to develop a FPS you have to shift gears a little bit.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I hope both a Star Marine update and the unmelts update both happen this week. so much comedy.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Solarin posted:

I agree Octopode keep posting. He really is this threads Data, except he frequently argues from unsound assumptions (eg CIG will make a good faith effort to fulfill all explicitly stated promises) so people get into heated arguments where they are saying the exact same things with different assumptions.

I think this illustrates Octopode and this thread:

Where one side is having fun and the other side doesn't get it? Same thing could be applied to SA and Citizens.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6286685/#Comment_6286685

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6286730/#Comment_6286730

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Now this is interesting

I hope for great things

Nope, this is normal. Changing your philosophy three years into a project that is supposed to be finished already is something that happens all the time. Everything is fine. This is fine.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

stinch posted:

Well, if you discover your engine does not support shotguns and you are trying to develop a FPS you have to shift gears a little bit.

I would have gone with 'Spread themselves too thin' or some sort of 'choke artist' comment.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

I want to reach into my computer and loving strangle this person. Literally shaking with rage.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Sillybones posted:

I want to reach into my computer and loving strangle this person. Literally shaking with rage.

lol trolled

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

In my spare time I like to read really stupid poo poo. These are words from a future god/soul entity (lol) about cults that really struck me as describing Star Citizen:

'The inner mechanics of emotion and belief are complicated, but these are individuals who feel that physical life has failed them. They are powerless in society. They think in black and white, and conflicts between their emotions, and their beliefs about their emotions, lead them to seek some kind of shelter in a rigid belief system that will give them rules to go by.

Such systems lead to the formation of cults, and the potential members seek out a leader who will serve their purposes as surely as they seem to serve his.'

'When people are convinced that the self is untrustworthy, for whatever reasons, or that the universe is not safe, then instead of luxuriating in the use of their abilities, exploring the physical and mental environments, they begin to pull in their realities - to contract their abilities, to overcontrol their environments. They become frightened people - and frightened people do not want freedom, mental or physical. They want shelter, a definite set of rules. They want to be told what is good and bad. They lean toward compulsive behavior patterns. They seek out leaders -political, scientific, or religious - who will order their live for them.'

HKS fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 25, 2016

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
James Brand is the gift that keeps on giving:

http://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/feature/the-star-citizen-honeymoon-is-over,413944#comment-2477590302

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

It's not possible because revealing what people are actually getting would murder CIG's revenue stream faster than you can say "web of lies".

Now this is interesting

I hope for great things

The problem with Chris's Vision is that it resets every time he blinks.

Yes you dumb gently caress, he's upset because they're not giving him private servers when the game is released. Because you know what? That's what they loving promised. Along with drop-in drop-out co-op. But you know why nobody really bitched about losing that other feature? Because the number of people who give a poo poo about Squadron 42 is insignificant compared to the vast number of autism chariot driving ur-spergs who have dumped thousands on their own personal Star Wars fantasy generator.

And incidentally you're not getting a full single player campaign. You're getting one third of a full single player campaign, worth supposedly around 20 hours of gametime.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

ZenMaster posted:

Why is Star Citizen the only game where people have to convince others it is good and pre ordering it isn't the dumbest thing ever. Does this happen to COD or MW? How about AC, or FF or MGS?

I see so many "yeah my friends think I am so stupid, but they'll be sorry!!" and I just don't feel that happens in 90% of other IPs.

Those games are entertainment products which you consume. Evil publishers, lazy stupid developers, console kiddies, dumbing down blah blah

SC is a social group you belong to (by design: "speaks to the essence of humanity..." and the rest of that cringe inducing speech) This is why nobody gives half a poo poo about SQ42 because the imaginary status they bought requires witnesses.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Solarin posted:

Those games are entertainment products which you consume. Evil publishers, lazy stupid developers, console kiddies, dumbing down blah blah

SC is a social group you belong to (by design: "speaks to the essence of humanity..." and the rest of that cringe inducing speech) This is why nobody gives half a poo poo about SQ42 because the imaginary status they bought requires witnesses.

Star Citizen is also apparently a revolutionary game that doesn't actually have fun as its core design philosophy. CIG is really pushing the boundaries of what's possible here.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

EightAce posted:

Now this is interesting

Oh yeah then what do you call the new testament? :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/293355/how-fast-do-you-want-to-get-rich-in-star-citizen

• Locked thread