Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

pointing out that the Starfish sequels are in fact for sale on Amazon, and that I bought and appreciated them. Enjoyed is not a word I would use, but Watts writing 'yup the whole world is poo poo / hosed and prob. deserves it' is worth the read.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i got hired to ghost write watts' new novel and it's under a serious nda but i'll post the prologue here:

even though free will is an illusion and choice doesn't exist i'm pretty sure i can somehow blame the current problem on capitalism and the following events and characters don't matter because everyone is going to die and i'm glad haha

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

watched Argento's 'Inferno' last night; gorgeous sumptuous sets and lighting, plot didn't make a lick of sense. classic Dario, you absolute madman!!

lmao'd at the guy being et alive by rats yelling for help, and the hotdog vendor runs up and stabs him up but good, 'Dude stop yelling jeez!'

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

a sneaky snake-like creature called Morley

wizardnetic legs

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I read that whole loving thing with a straight face until I got to £~~~~~€€~~€~wizardnetic legs~~~€~£~|€|£££

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Amethyst posted:

Jos Wheadon feminst superhero: My feminist superpower is getting raped.

i hope he chokes to death on one of his own terrible overwrought scripts

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

vOv posted:

Savage Opress

sheev palpatine

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
sleazebaggano

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Amethyst posted:

Jos Wheadon feminst superhero: My feminist superpower is getting raped.

quoting blue stymie

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
jizz wailer

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
But then a phantom menace struck. George Lucas would periodically check in on the status of the games his company was making, lending creative input and advice. The developer I talked to sighs, and agitatedly says, “In one viewing of Fracture, [Lucas] said it looked really good, but he didn’t like [Mason Briggs’] name. We’re like, ‘What do you mean, George?’ He responded to the effect of, ‘It doesn’t really fit. When he jumps on stuff, he moves pretty fast. I like B.J. Dart.’

“So everybody’s like, ‘No, he’s gotta be f---ing with us.’ He’s absolutely not. So when something like that happened – in the middle of the campaign, mind you – we have to go back through that entire naming convention again… from scratch.” From that second session, Jet Brody was born. Coincidentally. Jett is the name of Lucas’ son.

A similar situation arose with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed’s protagonist, Starkiller. “[That name] was only supposed to be a nickname or call sign, not a proper name from the beginning,” a former LucasArts employee says. The development team hoped that Lucas would give Vader’s apprentice a Darth moniker, which at the time, was something that didn’t happen often.

“The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’ There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say ‘just kidding,’ but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.”

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
rofl

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Darth Gross

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

But then a phantom menace struck. George Lucas would periodically check in on the status of the games his company was making, lending creative input and advice. The developer I talked to sighs, and agitatedly says, “In one viewing of Fracture, [Lucas] said it looked really good, but he didn’t like [Mason Briggs’] name. We’re like, ‘What do you mean, George?’ He responded to the effect of, ‘It doesn’t really fit. When he jumps on stuff, he moves pretty fast. I like B.J. Dart.’

“So everybody’s like, ‘No, he’s gotta be f---ing with us.’ He’s absolutely not. So when something like that happened – in the middle of the campaign, mind you – we have to go back through that entire naming convention again… from scratch.” From that second session, Jet Brody was born. Coincidentally. Jett is the name of Lucas’ son.

A similar situation arose with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed’s protagonist, Starkiller. “[That name] was only supposed to be a nickname or call sign, not a proper name from the beginning,” a former LucasArts employee says. The development team hoped that Lucas would give Vader’s apprentice a Darth moniker, which at the time, was something that didn’t happen often.

“The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’ There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say ‘just kidding,’ but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.”

I remember feeling a little bad when I'd read that JJ et al. pretty much ignored Lucas and his Ep. VII story ideas. I mean, it's Lucas, right? The guy has earned having at least a little input. But after reading this... I just hope someone leaks George's episode VII ideas because I know that any garbage that he came up with will exceed the ability of my imagination to fill in the gaps.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
there's literally no way that darth icky isn't a joke

he might be bad but even his worst is better than icky

insanius though

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Improbable Lobster posted:

insanius though

insanius sounds like "you fuckers don't need an "official" name but here's a dumb one so you shut up about it"

like look at the context:

quote:

“The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says.

~~our video game~~ needs credibility or else people might not buy it or something

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
yeah, it seems pretty obvious that he was telling them to gently caress off

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Jar Jar Binks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

you've never worked with a creative who has an ego before have you?

forget poe's law, they are 100% serious, about all of it

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

infernal machines posted:

you've never worked with a creative who has an ego before have you?

forget poe's law, they are 100% serious, about all of it

Pretty much this. Never ascribe to malice what can be explained with stupidity.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
i prefer to believe that lucas is exactly like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_iSQ65ZDAE

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

insanius though

the off-screen jedi who commissioned the clone army is called sifo-dyas

originally it was sido-dyas, because the original army was to have been commissioned by darth sidious, but in secret, and there's no way that anybody would expect sido-dyas was a sidious

then in a draft there was a typo and lucas decided to run with it because he liked "sifo-dyas" better than "sido-dyas"

basically lucas is a dry well

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

Jar Jar Binks

chinese space bankers

flying greedy space-jew junk dealers

midichlorians

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

duTrieux. posted:

midichlorians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSCm8yAxBr8&t=548s

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
thank you magic trash can

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

super tip: the x-files was never really that good.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

yeah watch these in case you missed that chat in the pics thread, all 4 are hilarious

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
george lucas is good at setting up iconic shots, the hero looking over the horizon, vader reaching during the father speech, the forbidden wedding

the only scene that comes close in the new one is the gal farting around with the old space helmet

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
please, nobody feed the troll cleverly disguised as an elf

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

chinese space bankers

flying greedy space-jew junk dealers

midichlorians

The guy who lets them land is called land-o

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
and the guy without a girlfriend is called hand solo

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

and the guy without a girlfriend is called hand solo

lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well that's why he shot first

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
:fry:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:whitewater:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

:cumpolice:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

welp

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I've been looking forward to this for a long time, Solo...

oh really er well *B-ZOW* poo poo sorry sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
put that thing away, you're gonna get us all killed

• Locked thread