Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

spincube posted:

There's no entry for Play Music (yet?) in their 'download your data' deely. However, if you've got the Chrome extension installed you can download single tracks or albums as often as you'd like.

You can also download your whole music library in one go, if you take a look at the Account Settings page in Play Music:

[e] ... of course this is all from a desktop machine, not a mobile device.

If you use the windows program, you can download your entire library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

DemonMage posted:

I know a lot of people like Automatic.

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Dash is pretty okay.

Uthor posted:

Torque and one of these. It's what everyone on AI recommends.

BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_TDnPwb4C9XCH5

It's solely for diagnostics. Reads/resets codes and gives you live data from the sensors. If you want a connected app that keeps data about your driving habits, that's something else.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was mostly looking for recommendations on the actual OBD device. I'll look into these. And yes, looking for a diagnostic tool to try and nail down my Check Engine light before dragging my car to the dealership.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I was mostly looking for recommendations on the actual OBD device. I'll look into these. And yes, looking for a diagnostic tool to try and nail down my Check Engine light before dragging my car to the dealership.

For what it's worth, you can go to any Autozone and they'll check it for free.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

XIII posted:

For what it's worth, you can go to any Autozone and they'll check it for free.

Yeah, its intermittent though. Anyway, this isn't AI so I'll stop the derail here. Thanks again everyone :)

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Wamdoodle posted:

Any ELM327 one should do, mine cost £5.99 from eBay and has never let me down (used with Torque Pro).

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Fart of Presto posted:

Did Google change it so you are now allowed to download albums and tracks through the browser without limitations?
It used to be only 2 downloads of a track through the browser and unlimited downloads of your library through the Windows program.

I think there's still the two-download limit if it's solely through a web browser: if it's done while the Chrome app is installed there's no limit to the number of downloads. Downloading through the Windows 'Music Manager' is still an all or nothing thing.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Is it possibly to get apps that replace the following?

* Notifications bar in the top, and/or what is shown when you swipe down from the top? My swipe-down menu has two pages; one with notifications, one with all the quick settings.
* The "alt tab" menu that's shown with the list of recent apps when you press the menu button

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Not without rooting. Those are both system things.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Why did they ruin Accuweather :(

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Are there any free apps that will play NFL audio commentary? I hate football, but better to have an audio play by play over speaker than have coworkers constantly whipping out there cell phone for score updates. Definitely prefer one that doesn't require registration.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ijii posted:

Are there any free apps that will play NFL audio commentary? I hate football, but better to have an audio play by play over speaker than have coworkers constantly whipping out there cell phone for score updates. Definitely prefer one that doesn't require registration.

Find a regular radio station that plays the sports commentary for NFL games, and then hunt down their matching app. For instance the CBS Radio app will cover you for a station that's in their network if it's in any of the major radio markets, others might be on TuneIn Radio. And if you can't find a matching app, usually their website will have a stream link that will work directly in browser.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ended up trying this for the hell of it. The voice recognition couldn't tell what I was saying through my accent I guess (some horrible English/Australian thing) and then it couldn't find my face when it asked me to look into the camera and be angry, so I uninstalled it and went back to sleep. Ooops.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah I tried it and it wanted me to look 'disgusted', I tried my best but it wasn't what it was looking for.

No suggestions on what it was actually wanting me to do differently/what it was looking for, similarly I uninstalled after that and think it still needs a bit more work.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

VodeAndreas posted:

Yeah I tried it and it wanted me to look 'disgusted', I tried my best but it wasn't what it was looking for.

Imagine using a Microsoft product by choice. The face you're making when doing that is "disgust".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Imagine using a Microsoft product by choice. The face you're making when doing that is "disgust".

MS has lots of awesome products. Don't try to stir up poo poo.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

MS has lots of awesome products. Don't try to stir up poo poo.

Speaking of which, one note is a great Android app and I also use it on my windows laptop and desktop for a variety of things.

I may have gotten the recommendation here though.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I'm imagining using C# every day instead of Java 7 and my face is the opposite of disgust.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Adenoid Dan posted:

Speaking of which, one note is a great Android app and I also use it on my windows laptop and desktop for a variety of things.

I'm in a technical field, so the Android version is largely useless to me until it can display math, unfortunately :(.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Adenoid Dan posted:

I may have gotten the recommendation here though.

I was close to including an example of an awesome MS product in my post, and OneNote was going to be it.

I switched from Evernote to OneNote partially a year ago, and last month, I switched to it completely.

The Android app is great and so is the desktop app.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I feel like I've mentioned OneNote before but it may not have been this thread. I haven't really found a use for it on Android, but the app is good still. I never found a need for Evernote either.

I use the desktop app all the time and it's goddamn excellent. Like really, really good.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
What makes OneNote better than Google Keep?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

AnimalChin posted:

How seamlessly it integrates with all office products in every platform.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

AnimalChin posted:

Notepad is to Word as Google Keep is to OneNote.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

myron cope posted:

I use the desktop app all the time and it's goddamn excellent. Like really, really good.

I use the app at work and like it, especially the ability to link to PDFs on the local network (lets me make an index to frequently accessed references instead of having to remember what 11FMAX1 actually is). The one thing I don't like is if you make sub-sub-pages, you can't collapse them down to the sub-page.

I use Evernote at home and on my phone for various things, though it's probably overkill, to be honest. Mainly use it to archive user manuals and recipes.

I also like OneDrive, though their raising of prices may make me reconsider that position.

I hear good things about Outlook for people that don't use Gmail.

Bing is okay and gives me ~$5 in rewards, so Microsoft is literally paying me to use it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

AnimalChin posted:

It wasn't half developed, then abandoned, then killed off once it accidentally established a userbase like half of Google's products.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

AnimalChin posted:

The fact you can keep, organise and find years of longform notes effortlessly.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is Android that hard to develop for? Is it the variety of phones or something on the fundamental level of Android? It seems like all the cool apps come to iPhone first. I don't want to believe its just brogrammer bias perpetuated by silicon valley.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Everyone I hear talk about Android development makes it sound like a nightmare due to the variety of phones. If all they had to target was Nexus phones, it would be fine, but they have to deal with OEMs modifying the OS to suit their phones which introduce weird bugs and inconsistencies, and the most popular phones are from companies most notorious for doing it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

It's about money too. People develop for apple because of the sheer number of people buying apps on the app store.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

FogHelmut posted:

Is Android that hard to develop for? Is it the variety of phones or something on the fundamental level of Android? It seems like all the cool apps come to iPhone first. I don't want to believe its just brogrammer bias perpetuated by silicon valley.

2 main reasons.

It's harder to develop for. Way way more devices and on top of that you also have android fragmentation, something like 80% of apple users are on the newest ios, it's not even close to this for Android. So chasing down the cause of a bug a user has reported can be a real challenge.

Secondly apple owners are simply more inclined to pay for their apps. Dunno why this is but there are a range of stats that back this up.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I wonder if when you control for high-end vs budget phones, that still holds up. (by "that" I mean Android users spending less on apps)

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Well, when Android includes such a broad range of different populations, those in developing markets probably can't buy many apps even if they have an Android with the Play Store, yet are still counted as Android users, same as people using $50 Androids in developed markets, those phones can't even buy as many apps from the store, let alone perhaps the budget consciousness of the individual with such a cheap phone, these are Android users too. So when you consider the huge number of Androids, it seems pretty simple to me that the number of us carrying flagship Androids of the current generation even in somewhere like Australia is pretty small, that fits my experience, heck I don't even have a current generation flagship. I can't say I've even seen the flagships from Samsung, HTC or LG in the wild this year. At least I have actually seen both Nexuses and a couple of Sony Z5 surprisingly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Despite having barely a fifth of the worldwide phone shipments and half as many app downloads, the Apple App Store earned 70% more revenue than the Google Play Apps store. Even controlling for phone cost, I'm not sure you'd find things being particularly even, even if you could assume the top-end Android phones are selling 100% of apps.

That said, this might just suggest that Android users are more accepting of ad-based apps, while iOS users aren't, but I don't really know.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What do people use for managing workflow? Trying to keep task lists and get more organized. Keep doesn't seem quite robust enough.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Massasoit posted:

What do people use for managing workflow? Trying to keep task lists and get more organized. Keep doesn't seem quite robust enough.

OneNote.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I have tried a bunch of 'wake up gently' alarm apps but I have found that setting my apartment's heating to come on in the morning does a far better job of rousing me gently than any of them. Even at very low volumes / rising volumes the alarm sounds always seem to jar me awake abruptly.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I bought one of those Philips alarm clocks with an LED light that mimics the sunrise and uses birds chirping to wake me up. Better than any app. Just wish it synced with my phone so I could set alarms that way, but you can't have everything.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Massasoit posted:

Seconding OneNote. I've got something like this as a to-do thing:
  • General/Personal ditto for every hat you wear
    • Incoming
    • Ongoing/Long-Term
    • Future
    • Wilderness i.e. 'tasks people will forget about'
    • Completed
I had a big long post typed up with examples, but really - like most of my irl filing systems - it boils down to dumping poo poo into vaguely-named sections and letting search take care of the rest. It's also useful for storing passwords in a corporate context! I honestly couldn't work without OneNote, it's so absurdly flexible.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I find that keeping tasks in a list is useless for me. It's just too easy to ignore the list altogether! I generally use calendar reminders that give me a notification to remind me that I need to do something.

(Which is why I dislike the change to Google Calendar to where the notifications now go away automatically if you don't act on them within an hour or so.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Yea, I guess not so much a place I can list tasks, but more of a task manager where I can set reminders. I'm trying out Any.do. we'll see how that goes.