Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Jack was the exact movie I was thinking of. Jack frankly makes Twixt look like Godfather 2. One From The Heart isn't exactly Heaven's Gate, either, that one would've ended a lesser director's career flat out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He did, with at least 5 more Godfather 3's. FFG directed Captain EO, for gently caress's sake.

That EPCOT thing?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

raditts posted:

That EPCOT thing?

You know it. And then like 2 years later, Scorcese would direct HIStory.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm glad heaven's gate exists because the documentary about it is good and cimino was both insane and stupid.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tars Tarkas posted:

The problem isn't Dracula, it's all the films you haven't even heard of, like Twixt. Also Jack, which you probably have heard of. I don't think he can be blamed for Supernova, that was already a mess before they hired him to turn it into slightly less of a mess.

I hate this movie so much for being a lovely movie starring Angela Bassett after she was rad as hell in Strange Days. Wasn't it originally being directed by Walter Hill?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the original script for supernova was pretty badass.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is Supernova the one ending with them in a teleporter and accidentally having a baby because lol

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Supernova's directors were Geoffrey Wright (quit before filming began), Jack Sholder (who I don't think did anything at that point), Walter Hill (who filmed the original version and blames the studio being angry that he rewrote the script for a slashed budget, test audiences hated his half-finished cut), Jack Sholder again (who filmed reshoots that the test audience hated just as much as Hill's version), Walter Hill (who demanded $5 million for reshoots and fx works and was told "No", so he quit for good), and finally Francis Ford Coppola (who mostly just reedited the film, I'm not sure how much new footage he filmed besides audio stuff and probably one fx shot). Supernova's director is credited as Thomas Lee, which is the fake name the Director's Guild uses after everyone figured out what Alan Smithee meant.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I've never seen Supernova, but I feel like I'm missing out.

Lucas isn't unique in 'losing it' whether you define that as running out of ideas, no longer having the energy to execute them properly, forgetting how much help he needed to make his earlier films great, or whatever. Almost everyone loses it on a long enough timeline. The fact that Spielberg and Scorsese appear not to have is a staggering anomaly.
Michael Mann went from deconstructing the action movie in Heat and Collateral, to spending vast amounts of money on movies for no one, like Miami Vice and Public Enemies. John Woo just completely stopped developing after 1992, and has been doing a prolonged victory lap ever since. It'd be easy to blame moving to America, but his films since then haven't been great, just bigger (I haven't seen either of the Crossing films)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Some guys just have a good movie or two in them and then run things down. And some of them can just manage a production well even though they're not artistically talented and so they keep getting work. I suspect that Copala combined those two; he had a few great movies in him and then afterward he was able to manage a film well so people turned to him for pick up jobs (Supernova definitely sounds like a situation like that). John Frankenheimer is another director like that; note how he was brought in to try to save Island of Dr. Moreau.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib
gently caress Twixt so hard. I tried to watch that movie on Netflix and it was really really freaking painful, and yet I couldn't turn it off. It was just so bloody weird/strange. The fact the FFC did it makes it even stranger.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

People showering should not be one of the highlights of your movie.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Neo Rasa posted:

I just want to mention if anyone reading this wants to get them, there are two Lego Indiana Jones games but you only need to get the second one. The first one is one of the weaker of the Lego games and the second one actually as a full remake of it along with new stuff so that it covers everything from all four movies.

This is a total lie and the second Lego Indy game is poo poo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This is less "Why was this greenlit" and more "why hasn't this been greenlit as a full movie," but here's a sword fight made by the team behind The Raid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdrwseAC9Jw

Really I just wanted an excuse to post it and didn't know where else would be a better thread, but Gareth Evans really needs to make more movies with these guys.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Conal Cochran posted:

Counterpoint: Starship Troopers.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Snowman_McK posted:

I've never seen Supernova, but I feel like I'm missing out.

Lucas isn't unique in 'losing it' whether you define that as running out of ideas, no longer having the energy to execute them properly, forgetting how much help he needed to make his earlier films great, or whatever. Almost everyone loses it on a long enough timeline. The fact that Spielberg and Scorsese appear not to have is a staggering anomaly.
Michael Mann went from deconstructing the action movie in Heat and Collateral, to spending vast amounts of money on movies for no one, like Miami Vice and Public Enemies. John Woo just completely stopped developing after 1992, and has been doing a prolonged victory lap ever since. It'd be easy to blame moving to America, but his films since then haven't been great, just bigger (I haven't seen either of the Crossing films)

the Crossing films aren't good, don't waste your time

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

This is less "Why was this greenlit" and more "why hasn't this been greenlit as a full movie," but here's a sword fight made by the team behind The Raid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdrwseAC9Jw

Really I just wanted an excuse to post it and didn't know where else would be a better thread, but Gareth Evans really needs to make more movies with these guys.

Better yet, it was shot in Wales. So now I've got the wonderful image of a Welsh farmer stumbling across two Indonesian blokes attacking a very small woman with swords. I also find it funny that, even on their official Youtube channel, they forget about their earliest movie, Merantau, when listing their credits. You've only directed 3 movies, Gareth, you have no excuse for forgetting one.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 26, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Youth Without Youth is pretty good though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

First clip from the Kevin Smith and Johnny Depp movie Yoga Hosers, featuring the younger Smith and younger Depp and horrific accents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpMpR37LTyQ

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Counterpoint: Starship Troopers.

The story behind that scene is 10 times more interesting than that scene itself. I also can't honestly think of a single director that kept improving as they aged or kept up their early level of genius through a sustained career, maybe Kubrick? That's also giving him a pass on Eyes Wide Shut. Pretty much everyone throws out a big turd or two at the end.

That movie looks like garbage but holy poo poo does Johnny Depp's daughter look like young Christina Ricci.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 26, 2016

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Marketing New Brain posted:

The story behind that scene is 10 times more interesting than that scene itself. I also can't honestly think of a single director that kept improving as they aged or kept up their early level of genius through a sustained career, maybe Kubrick? That's also giving him a pass on Eyes Wide Shut. Pretty much everyone throws out a big turd or two at the end.

He also worked on A.I. didn't he? I've always wondered how much of him was in the finished work, especially that loving ending.

And if we're talking about old directors keeping their talent then I'm surprised Fury Road hasn't been mentioned yet, although that's getting into the realm of remarkable exceptions.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Coppola's last few movies are absolutely atrocious, with Twixt being about on par with Boondock Saints 2. I'd much rather watch the prequel trilogy than sit through that again.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Conal Cochran posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWFHH11e328

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

He also worked on A.I. didn't he? I've always wondered how much of him was in the finished work, especially that loving ending.

And if we're talking about old directors keeping their talent then I'm surprised Fury Road hasn't been mentioned yet, although that's getting into the realm of remarkable exceptions.

I enjoy George Miller I just don't think he's ever reached the heights of the directors we are talking about. Look at Kubrick from 57-87, and tell me where you would put the best George Miller film on that list. Depending on how high you are on his recent work, Scorsese has had an incredibly impressive run, but I just don't think Miller has the oeuvre to compete in this category.

There's something to be said for never making a bad film, which I think is true for Miller. Not sure how I feel about Witches of Eastwick, since I saw it decades ago.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 26, 2016

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Whatever you think of his work as a whole, dropping an aggressive masterwork like Fury Road at age 70 throws the entire "director's lose it when they get old" theory into question.
It's the crazy exception that gives you hope that Spielberg still has a great movie left in him, or that Michael Mann will make another movie on film instead of a camcorder.

As for John Woo - I can't speak for The Crossing, but Red Cliff might be the highlight of his entire career, so I wouldn't count the man out.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm wondering what might be the widest recognised secondhand film reference. Possibly "I think I hear banjos" or "Squeal like a pig!" from Deliverance?

Part of me has always sort of leaned on something like the horror movie motif of Jason Voorhees' hockey mask. Just about any form of media, when they wanted to showcase a scary boogieman figure, could have a random character a hockey mask and it's there. The Jason look is just sort of 'gotten' as a reference to horror even by people who've never seen any of the movies, even for kids who see it in referenced in a cartoon or something.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Conal Cochran posted:

Well unless your movie is Porky's ...

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

John Woo seems back on the upswing, Red Cliff was just a bajillion years long but was the kind of spectacle films that needs a director who can tie it all together, even if parts of it got bogged down. Reign of Assassins wasn't that bad, either. Unfortunately Tsui Hark is firing 50% at this point (Flying Swords of Dragon Gate was mindbogglingly terrible) but is pumping out enough stuff that I have hope he can get back on track, Journey to the West 2 has potential to be good even with Stephen Chow only producing instead of directing, but Chow has a film coming out next month that looked hilarious from the trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARsBKI5SSXk

Speaking of directors who did good films then suddenly did terrible films...

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Has John Woo expressed an interest in doing any more Three Kingdoms stuff? He had the pefect cast in Red Cliff, I'd love to see them back.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

How many more movies can we name where this is the case?

Starship Troopers (Allegedly)
Porky's
Psycho

Ferris Bueller's Day off?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tars Tarkas posted:

Speaking of directors who did good films then suddenly did terrible films...

What the hell are you talking about, Karate Dog is a freakin' masterpiece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noRSyXRCBUw

Edit: not to mention that Bob Clark's second film was She-Man: A Story of Fixation back in 1967.

quote:

A soldier is forced to take estrogen and wear lingerie when he's blackmailed by a violent transvestite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxOsSq2pZ8s

He was also responsible for Rhinestone, right after he directed the perennial classic A Christmas Story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMIYytIdh1Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNPPf4RbQeg

Edit 2: holy gently caress he directed Loose Cannons as well, the ultimate 'buddy cop (but one is crazy)' film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZagcMf8vK1c

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 26, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Director Taika Waititi has announced a sequel for the NZ vampire mockumentary What We Do In The Shadows. It'll be about the rival werewolf gang and it'll be called We're Wolves.

But first he's contracted to direct some minor indie flick I've never heard of called Thor: Ragnarok.
Edit: goddamn, his feature films to date all seem to be made for $1.6m or under but the last Thor film had a budget of $170m. That's got to be a crazy rollercoaster ride.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 26, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

But first he's contracted to direct some minor indie flick I've never heard of called Thor: Ragnarok.
Edit: goddamn, his feature films to date all seem to be made for $1.6m or under but the last Thor film had a budget of $170m. That's got to be a crazy rollercoaster ride.
Just make the movie in the same way as usual, but pay everyone 100 times as much.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Just make the movie in the same way as usual, but pay everyone 100 times as much.

He's been answering questions about it over at Sundance these last few days, telling interviewers that he's going to handle the bigger budget blockbuster by "just shaking the camera a lot" and "taking the last Thor film and just adding jokes" :allears:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/taika-waititi-directing-next-thor-858578
https://www.thewrap.com/thor-ragnarok-director-teases-funnier-sequel-im-just-going-to-take-the-second-thor-film-and-add-jokes-video/

I am totally down for an intergalactic road trip movie starring Thor and Hulk directed by Taika Waititi.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 26, 2016

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

bullet3 posted:

Whatever you think of his work as a whole, dropping an aggressive masterwork like Fury Road at age 70 throws the entire "director's lose it when they get old" theory into question.
It's the crazy exception that gives you hope that Spielberg still has a great movie left in him, or that Michael Mann will make another movie on film instead of a camcorder.

Well, only some directors lose it when they get older (or rather, many directors are only 'good' for a short period of time). Guys like Mann and Zemeckis didn't so much 'lose it', but they just got interested in a bunch of poo poo that no one else cares that much about.

But it doesn't help that film is an industry and you have to get greenlit and you need budgets and a crew and talent and so forth. Fury Road, and recent Michael Mann and Zemeckis movies are an exception. For most directors, talented or not, past a certain point and after a bomb or two, they stop having the resources available, don't get good scripts, maybe won't work with producers that are as good, etc. The movies will inevitably suffer.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
In another universe George Miller is just another has-been because he never took a break from directing to raise his kids and spent 15 years working on Fury Road, and instead spent the 00s churning out garbage like the Justice League movie while Fury Road was an early-00s movie with Attack of the Clones levels of CGI.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Director Taika Waititi has announced a sequel for the NZ vampire mockumentary What We Do In The Shadows. It'll be about the rival werewolf gang and it'll be called We're Wolves.

He recently said that the reason he took the Thor gig was that he has a lot of ideas for bigger budget sci-fi movies and he sees taking on a big blockbuster as a way to eventually get those made.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of movies taken away from directors, turns out the new Keanu Reeves movie "Exposed" was originally directed by some new guy named Gee Malik Linton who was then fired and his name replaced with the pseudonym Declan Dale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Related to that, are the rumors that Mystery Men was actually directed by Tim Burton but then shuffled off to that Usher fellow true?

• Locked thread