Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There are Ferraris in Forza 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well, that engine sound loving sucks.

For reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXbdcdxv93c

and while its about engine sound and cool videos and what we're trying to emulate with computers, have one of the coolest videos out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCasYJnZ0oQ

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

AC's sound in general is pretty bad, it's much better with the sound pack that someone put together but obviously console players aren't going to have that. I love the look of the FXX though, that is what I want ridiculously expensive supercars to look like.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Cue Richard Hammond's Zonda spiel.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

For consideration in the 2016 thread OP, How to set up AI, in ISIMotor games at least.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is the best ferrari sound video and don't argue with me unless you want to fight me and you'll lose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFlaNJALet4

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's pretty drat good, but best? There's no F40 LM in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYYA2jE3Ze0

:fap:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

xzzy posted:

It's pretty drat good, but best? There's no F40 LM in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYYA2jE3Ze0

:fap:

That's a very loud car.

And I just realized the new Top Gear is being hosted by Chris Evans, not Chris Harris. I thought it was Chris Harris this entire time and was excited.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

jonathan posted:

That's a very loud car.

And I just realized the new Top Gear is being hosted by Chris Evans, not Chris Harris. I thought it was Chris Harris this entire time and was excited.

It is both of them hosting.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

jonathan posted:

I'll give it a shot because why not, but Top Gear America has shown how utterly lovely it can be with bad hosts.

Amazon probably made a sound investment.

njsykora posted:

For consideration in the 2016 thread OP, How to set up AI, in ISIMotor games at least.
I hope this is useful and will have to look into it when I next play SCE which I probably won't bother with till their rebranding is released since I've fallen off the racing train (a side effect of getting a wheel: the couple minutes to set it up each time has made me a lot more selective in bothering to do it).

holocaust bloopers posted:

The AC subreddit is very concerned about their game being "consolized"
:qq:

Casuals ruining everything! No good sim racing game has come out in the last decade! Too much grip! :commissar:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the bigger issue (for PC developers) is if console sims started coming to PC's. I'm not saying Forza is perfect for driving, but it is a really drat good piece of software. If it was a PC title all these clowns with their lovely UI and archaic settings would discover they have some serious catch-up to do.

Never played GT but I assume it'd be a similar situation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Console UIs are just as bad as PC UIs. Forza menus are ok but leaning towards trash. The race, car, and tune/upgrade tabs are ok but everything else sucks. If you want to paint your car, there's a couple boxes on the right that let you paint the car or load a paint or create vinyls. But the entire left side of the screen is "customize" When you click on it, there's nothing unique in there. You can change your wheels, add suspension, add aero and add decals. All of these things already exist in other menus that make more sense.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'd agree Forza's UI isn't great, and neither really is GT but GT has had a bad but iconic UI forever so kinda gets a pass. If a Forza Motorsport game came out on PC though it would for sure suck up the more casual sim market that AC and PCars currently have monopolised.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Forza would catch poo poo for having too much grip because hard=real.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Quickly looking at the planned AC event, could we possibly run somewhere else? I haven't got Dream Pack 3 yet and thus don't have Brands, and I'm pretty sure that there's something else we could run that wouldn't cut out people without the DLC.

xzzy posted:

I think the bigger issue (for PC developers) is if console sims started coming to PC's. I'm not saying Forza is perfect for driving, but it is a really drat good piece of software. If it was a PC title all these clowns with their lovely UI and archaic settings would discover they have some serious catch-up to do.

Never played GT but I assume it'd be a similar situation.

There's also the fact that both of them have AI that's ten times better than Assetto Corsa or Project Cars, and that's what most casual console people play against. That's why I think AC will struggle on Consoles, unless they've managed to make a huge jump its not going to be that good, and that's what 90% of console people will play. A hot lap sim using a game pad sounds like the worlds most boring thing. Honestly AI is the weakest part of PC Racing sims at the moment; its either something that isn't very good or its an ISI sim so you have to spend an age fiddling with the settings in order to get it to work, which is probably different for every different car or mod that you have.

I'm honestly surprised that Microsoft haven't put a Forza game out for PC: it'd probably make them some money. There could be a reason for it - perhaps they think that people are less likely to buy an xbox if they can get forza on PC?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Forza AI is not good. Let's be real, no sim has good AI.

It may be so cost prohibitive in terms of licensing that MS has held off. Someone may have done the math on potential sales vs costs and figured out it's not worth the investment. Who knows if they're on to something. I think Forza would sell pretty well.

Then again MS uses Forza to move consoles. Probably don't want to risk their console cash cow.

bloops fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 21, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, Forza's draw is the streamlined upgrade and tuning system and then taking your lovingly crafted ride into a lobby with your friends and spending an hour bitching at each other for turn 1 wrecks.

The paint system is garbage, the single player is garbage, and the market place stuff they put in is garbage, but the multiplayer works really drat well.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's a pretty great hot lap simulator with comic book car builds.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

IceAgeComing posted:

Quickly looking at the planned AC event, could we possibly run somewhere else? I haven't got Dream Pack 3 yet and thus don't have Brands, and I'm pretty sure that there's something else we could run that wouldn't cut out people without the DLC.

Didn't think about that. Brands just fits the cars. I guess Mugello would be my next choice? Although in that case I might actually prefer rerunning Zandvoort. If we keep doing AC we're going to need some mod tracks sooner or later.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hehe those videos are great. The race F40, see him wrestling it into first and then bouncing around on the hard as gently caress suspension the whole way.. it's not a racecar if you don't come out bruised and battered. The Shell one is also super cool.

Console sims are on PC. The Codemaster F1 games are a good example. If you mean Forza and Gran Tursimo, they're the console exclusives that services the 'killer app' concept so by definition they'll never be anywhere except their home systems.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Forza would catch poo poo for having too much grip because hard=real.

bUm posted:

Casuals ruining everything! No good sim racing game has come out in the last decade! Too much grip! :commissar:

There are a few iRacing vids of real drivers commenting how it's harder in the sim than it is in real life. The track is wider, the steering not as twitchy, there is more grip, it's easier to feel and know what the car is doing. There is that Huttu vid of when they put him in a Star Mazda for real (he pukes on himself :( it's hot in America and he is from Finland) and he says it's easier than iRacing. Those that have played enough iRacing will know an easy to drive car is hard to drive fast (meaning because it's stable and solid the quick people are doing absolutely ridiculous things in it, which will take a while to even comprehend). So I would assume this applies to real racing too, even watching a race from the stands it's crazy to see just how fast they take the corners.

But yeah, iRacing is getting there with the new tire model. I'm a SRF driver and it's significantly less slippy and the characteristic TTO (trailing throttle oversteer) is much, much less just because there is so much more grip from all four corners.

edit: I posted it in the iRacing thread a while ago but it applies here, How Good is a Sim Driver, Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p_sCrM1CcI

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 22, 2016

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
:siren: The 24 Hours of Daytona perpetual night race on iRacing starts in 45 minutes. We have two goon teams entering - one in the Ruf GT3, and one in the Corvette C7 Daytona Prototype. I will be streaming a majority of the C7 race at the link below :siren:

http://www.twitch.tv/casefacemcgee

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Good luck!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Welp.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

hurray it turns out that the gt team isn't registered!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Oh no.

Taking a week off to do some home repair stuff next week.

Just saw this mod...
Ferrari F2002 for AC
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/assetto-corsa-ferrari-f2002-mod-released.116515/

I'm not going to get as much done as I thought...

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Reminder: AC DTM at 20:00 GMT.

Edit: Mugello.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 24, 2016

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

jonathan posted:

This is the best ferrari sound video and don't argue with me unless you want to fight me and you'll lose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFlaNJALet4
It's not in 720p or above, which means it's compressed and downsampled to poo poo.

Good job.

edit: count me in as psyched for Trackmania Turbo

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 24, 2016

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Could we please delay Assetto Corsa by half an hour?

From a rather drunk Scotsman is a pub

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
(2:42:25 PM) GhostDog: server will be up at 19:50, actual race will start at 20:30, if you just wanna race best join until 20:25
(2:42:39 PM) GhostDog: Gooncar, dtm4life
(2:43:00 PM) GhostDog: some plz put that in the thread

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This time I didn't finish because I couldn't figure out how to refuel, ran out on the last third of the last lap. :negative:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
IceAgeSittinginthepits

Not enough people this time, but that's partly because of Daytona. Let's try again next week same time.

Bloody Typical
Oct 27, 2005

Hey, keep the noise down Jerk, this is a residential area.
I chanced it and put enough fuel in to do the whole race.

Can't belive I had such a good start from third, then managed to stay in first a whole lap then fudge it up by spinning on the second corner of the second lap, 4th place in the end, an improvement on last week though.

Are we sticking with DTM for a while?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I'd prefer that to switching cars all the time, gives everybody a chance to get used to them without having to train outside of the sessions. Plus, they're pretty forgivable IMO, the Benz gives you about half and hour warning to catch a slide :)

Track-wise Nürburgring GP and Silverstone would fit, but I think everybody hates at least one of those tracks. Barcelona might also work.

Edit: Oh, and new thread...postponed to next weekend. I'm gonna blame it on Daytona. Yeah, that'll do.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 24, 2016

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I wouldnt mind different cars, maybe do a 2-3 week cycle, or 3 in a row and change and then another 3 weeks.

Second question, it's AC soo... mods?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I'm cool with switching it up, I'll be terrible regardless. :v: Also classic F1 would be fun.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OhsH posted:

I wouldnt mind different cars, maybe do a 2-3 week cycle, or 3 in a row and change and then another 3 weeks.

Peugeot 504 at Nordschleife do it do it do it do it.

Bloody Typical
Oct 27, 2005

Hey, keep the noise down Jerk, this is a residential area.
There's a couple of good Sierra RS500 mods we could include in the DTM roster.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

OhsH posted:

I was afraid that'd be too much prep to expect.

Jehde posted:

I'm cool with switching it up, I'll be terrible regardless. :v: Also classic F1 would be fun.

But let's just see how this goes:

Assetto Corsa on Sunday, January 31, 20:00 GMT.

Car: Lotus 49
Track: Bridgehampton 1.1

:siren: DOWNLOAD THIS :siren:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there somewhere I can read up on AC mods ? I don't have any dlc just the minimum purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

jonathan posted:

Is there somewhere I can read up on AC mods ? I don't have any dlc just the minimum purchase.

What kind of stuff do you want to read about? If it's recommended mods then just go to Race Department's download section, find the AC Cars and AC Tracks sections then just download all the top rated stuff that looks interesting.

• Locked thread