Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Here's hoping the fatigue modeling in ATS isn't garbage. I can start out fresh at sunrise in ETS2 and by noon I'm at red fatigue. I don't like disabling it but when a single medium distance job takes me past the point of exhaustion and resting deletes your current World of Trucks contract, I have little choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

We need these in-game then.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I honest to God wish for a Surgeon Simulator -esque situation where a dozen empty pill bottles are constantly physically simulated rolling around on the floorboards.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Here's hoping the fatigue modeling in ATS isn't garbage. I can start out fresh at sunrise in ETS2 and by noon I'm at red fatigue. I don't like disabling it but when a single medium distance job takes me past the point of exhaustion and resting deletes your current World of Trucks contract, I have little choice.

It's been a while since I've played ETS2, but I thought the 'fatigue modeling' was 'when fully rested, you can drive for ten hours'. So if World of Trucks contracts require you to be on the road more than ten hours... :raise:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I definitely have been getting red fatigue before even halfway through the day sunlight-wise. Maybe it is 10 hours but I'm pretty sure it's getting tired well before. Also 10 hours is still super small.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I definitely have been getting red fatigue before even halfway through the day sunlight-wise. Maybe it is 10 hours but I'm pretty sure it's getting tired well before. Also 10 hours is still super small.

it's 11 hours, and they pull it from the actual EU regulations on driver fatigue.

I think the US rags are actually stricter at 10 hours? I dunno, someone in he actual Trucking thread in AI will know for sure on the US regs.

Also, I need to start making a new OP for a combined ATS and ETS2 thread.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I definitely have been getting red fatigue before even halfway through the day sunlight-wise. Maybe it is 10 hours but I'm pretty sure it's getting tired well before.
This may be a combination of factors. One, the meter turns red well before you actually have to sleep. (I find it works better to check the route before hand to get a general idea of where the rest stops I'll want to use will be than to try to find somewhere to pull off based on the light, though.) Two, the game starts the day eaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarly. (Presumably so you don't spend eight virtual hours driving through pitch darkness.)

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Also 10 hours is still super small.

Drive for ten hours straight and tell me that. Actually, don't.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Straight I haven't done but occasionally I've gone on that much drive time for my company for a move: 5 out, an hour of work, 5 back, and I still stayed up just fine. That said it's a RARITY so I can't say I know what it's like day in day out.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Mandalay posted:

Is ProMods still worth getting? I'm playing without mods now.

Bugs aside, I stopped using it because it's clearly meant to be used for unlimited fuel/no fatigue.

I may download it again once I get the map completion achievement.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
As much as I rag on promods, it flatout makes large sections of the default map look like poo poo in comparison. I"ll put up with the odd invisible wall and crashing for a non generic version of germany/austria.

Just staying away from romania resolved all my crashing issues anyway and you can always just use the dev camera to teleport around invisible walls.

Also I dunno why so many people have trouble with fatigue, I rarely have problems just by making sure to find a rest spot 9 hours into the 11

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The main issue I have with fatigue is that right now it cancels your active World of Trucks contract. In the base game I still wish I had a little bit more time before I HAD to sleep but I get it. But with WoT contracts, if you take anything that's roughly 600km you need to sleep before you get there and that'll cancel the contract. I have to disable the fatigue to enjoy one of the neater things about the game. I know the feature's only a month old so maybe when they start doing the planned features it'll be in there.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Going to say pro-mods is great. There are issues in Romania, but outside of there, there's maybe 2 or 3 invisible walls, largely because SCS doesn't document model sizes properly and they can inadvertently overlap.
If you run into an invisible wall, just reload.
Newer pro-mods areas are on-par or better than the quality of the Scandinavia expansion. Junctions and intersections feel unique and complex, rather than a 2-lane stand-in.

It's not perfect but it's completely free.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I have a dumb question. Why should I care about World of Trucks contracts?

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Frankly you shouldnt atm. They don't mean poo poo yet. But in future theyll have something to do with virtual trucking companies and other online features.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Only 2 trucks available at the launch of ATS, pretty lackluster I feel.
http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/01/truck-licensing-situation-update.html

Also, sleeping should not break your World of Trucks contracts, worked fine the contracts I did. The 2 I managed before I almost died from boredom from going so sloooooooooooooow.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

TjyvTompa posted:

Also, sleeping should not break your World of Trucks contracts, worked fine the contracts I did. The 2 I managed before I almost died from boredom from going so sloooooooooooooow.

Eh, they say it's because of licensing issues, and if the truck manufacturers are dragging their feet approving poo poo there's not much SCS can do but wait. Even if they had put some fake placeholder brands in the game, I would just ignore them in favor of whatever real brands were available.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
From that link

quote:

Renault Range T spotted somewhere in south of France

South of France? I like what this hints at.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
^^^ Yeah, I also noticed the scenery beside the road looks different than anything else currently in game. Hopefully it wasn't just some mock up.

TjyvTompa posted:

Every attempt I've made has given me a "You're about to abandon your current contract!" warning.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

Is there talk of cost.. it keeps shaping up like I"d pay $20 or less for ATS in it's current state.. small map, 2 trucks..
Edit.. their FB page says "Recommended price $20" maybe a launch sale would be cool.. but def getting it.

I can't do WOT contacts.. I'm sorry but ETS is about going hammer down and singing "East bound and down" at the top of my lungs.

I'd really love it if the game had a steam MP connected CB style voice chat so we could talk to each other on channel 19 or whatever the Euro's use to talk about bobbies and the like.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 25, 2016

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

^^^ Yeah, I also noticed the scenery beside the road looks different than anything else currently in game. Hopefully it wasn't just some mock up.

Every attempt I've made has given me a "You're about to abandon your current contract!" warning.

You are correct, they probably haven't managed to merge the fact that WoT contracts are real-time and the time sleeping takes is of no matter.
I did manage a 1,093 km delivery in WoT since you can drive for ~13 hours before you fall asleep and the low speedlimit makes it really easy to just put the cruise control on 90 and snooze your way through europe.

Yes, I am mad about the enforced speedlimit, it takes away so much from the game.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, the asking price is $20 for ATS means there aren't any second thoughts for me. That's the price for Scandinavia with about as much content. I'd even buy it at $30 because I'm so loving excited for that game. I don't even care about only two trucks at launch, ETS2 has shown off their impressive support model. I'm just ready to haul some bald eagles. :911:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

They have the (live action) Optimus Prime truck.

As terrible as the movie is, you can at least be Optimus prime shipping cargo.

A little disappointed that there isn't a MACK Truck at launch. When I look at American Trucks, Mack is the first thing that pops into my mind.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

IAmTheRad posted:

As terrible as the movie is, you can at least be Optimus prime shipping cargo.

A little disappointed that there isn't a MACK Truck at launch. When I look at American Trucks, Mack is the first thing that pops into my mind.

Which is a little weird in itself because I assume they already have the licensing to use volvo trucks, and mack trucks are owned by volvo anyway?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

warcake posted:

Which is a little weird in itself because I assume they already have the licensing to use volvo trucks, and mack trucks are owned by volvo anyway?

It could be they have the license only for specific models and using the logo, and they need to get a new license for different trucks.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

warcake posted:

You can't assume anything about licensing deals

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
I know nothing about licensing I will admit. I do know that if a truck isn't licensed and put into the game I won't use it. Im sure im not the only one.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I'm blaming my own faulty expectations for my current disappointment with how small ATS is upon release. When it was announced, I imagined coast to coast trips without realizing that that would mean double/triple the existing map size of ETS.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I don't really mind it starting out with just California, but now that you mention map size it scares me that we won't ever be able to truly experience New York to California driving.

Also it would be awesome if eventual DLC included Ice Road Trucking in Alaska/Canada

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

Does this mean literally only two trucks or just that there will only be two officially licensed trucks and some other off brand trucks?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

santanotreal posted:

I don't really mind it starting out with just California, but now that you mention map size it scares me that we won't ever be able to truly experience New York to California driving.

Also it would be awesome if eventual DLC included Ice Road Trucking in Alaska/Canada

They're going to release each state as DLC :v:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Does this mean literally only two trucks or just that there will only be two officially licensed trucks and some other off brand trucks?

Only two with others to follow once the scent of money wafts through. According to that blog post similar issues happened with ETS2.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Only two with others to follow once the scent of money wafts through. According to that blog post similar issues happened with ETS2.

And you'd think they'd be able to show them a very glossy and well-made ETS2 and it'd be a easy sale. But, as they said in the blog post, truck companies have literally no one to deal with this kind of thing as no one ever really asks to license their brands. They probably walk it up to someone who gives them the blankest of stares.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
It took them, what, a year after release to get Mercedes into ETS2?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Gasoline posted:

It took them, what, a year after release to get Mercedes into ETS2?

3 years

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
But it took them at least 2 of those 3 before they had a nice, polished game to show them. Presumably they already have ETS2 to show American truck manufacturers. Interestingly, they have Volvo Europe's blessing, obviously, but not Volvo America, which just goes to show how little the one hand knows what the other is doing. I would sort of assume this would happen pretty soon, though. And that would also bring with it Mack.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Overwined posted:

But it took them at least 2 of those 3 before they had a nice, polished game to show them. Presumably they already have ETS2 to show American truck manufacturers. Interestingly, they have Volvo Europe's blessing, obviously, but not Volvo America, which just goes to show how little the one hand knows what the other is doing. I would sort of assume this would happen pretty soon, though. And that would also bring with it Mack.

In an earlier post...

Kilonum posted:

As far as brands in ATS, my money is on the following (in order of most likely to least likely):

• Kenworth and Peterbilt - Owned by PACCAR, which also owns DAF
  • Volvo - already in ETS2 and yes they make trucks for the US marcket
  • Mack - Owned by Volvo
  • Freightliner and Western Star - Owned by Daimler, which also owns Mercedes-Benz

Biggest company I consider questionable is International (Owned by Navistar) but more because ownership has no previous dealings with SCS.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

I really want to find the G1 Optimus Prime truck, with the obvious paintjob. I tried searching for a mod but either I failed at searching, or I had the wrong model. It doesn't help that reports vary when it comes to G1 Optimus's model.

It's annoying cause it really seems like it'd be the first mod to come out for such a game.

VV: I'm referring to a mod for ETS2, not ATS.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 26, 2016

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

The game isn't out yet though, a bit soon to be annoyed?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The truck companies probably haven't gotten much people wanting the license for their trucks. Peterbilt/Kenworth has had experience with Transformers, but I don't really see trucks appearing in many other forms of media. Yes, you see them in shows like Ice Road Truckers, but they aren't really focused on the Trucks themselves, but more on the driving.

If the game is as moddable as ETS2 is, I bet we will see player made trucks very quickly. Or hell, some modders might just convert trucks from ETS2 to ATS, and vice-versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

santanotreal posted:

I give modders two months before this is a thing.

• Locked thread