Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Mirificus posted:

That can't be true. Star Citizens keep on maintaining that gaming media is biased against Star Citizen because of "Big Publishers" and Derek Smart.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6145304/#Comment_6145304

Kidding aside the lack of interest beyond the updates that CIG puts out by the gaming media as a whole is rather perplexing. At the same time though, not that surprising. Gaming media for a number of years now has been playing it safe. Content to get money or favors in return for good press. If they dared to question what CIG was doing and then they ended up growing into to some juggernaut of a company said gaming press would loose their ability to get these favors and inside info. This is not something they are willing to gamble on, no matter how much of a benefit it would be to the consumer. And that's really the saddest part of it all. We have a press that claims to be there for the consumer, but everything they do shows otherwise.

It's a sad state of affairs, but it's been going on for some time. It's why I don't give a poo poo about saying something, I'm not getting access as is nor do I care to if that's the cost, so I'm going to say what I want as opposed to what they want me to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Well that's going to lead to some oh so wonderful comments. Thank god for being able to turn off comment alerts.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

D_Smart posted:

^this

Also, very few want to have to put this sort of thing in print: That rear end in a top hat, Derek Smart, was right. The whole loving time. Like, seriously!

You need to change your middle name to Rightly so you will be called Derek Rightly Smart

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

hire an editor good lord

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Toops posted:

Thread Title: "No More Star Marine? YES more Star Marine!!"
Thread OP: CIG Ben Lesnick
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6290389#Comment_6290389
:stare:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Ahh, that's a real classic that one.

Funny reading that now considering Chris roberts decree of "it's only true if it comes from my mouth."

Basically all but one of their web shows are instantly invalidated. Lol.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Star Citizen articles with Disqus comment sections are always a pleasure.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

wyoak posted:

hire an editor good lord

Hey you want the job? Sorry, but there's only two of us and funds are a bit tied up in other things like you know, getting by. Honestly though what about our site makes it appear to be a huge news source? We do what we do because it's what we enjoy. I know I can be verbose and long winded, and I know that V is the stronger writer. That's cool. But I'd rather put it out there, criticism and all, then bitch about it and do nothing.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Well that's going to lead to some oh so wonderful comments. Thank god for being able to turn off comment alerts.

Anything to help :)

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Mirificus posted:

That can't be true. Star Citizens keep on maintaining that gaming media is biased against Star Citizen because of "Big Publishers" and Derek Smart.

Thankfully Star Citizen will crowd source their own unbiased media coverage through the News Van spaceships. Until Croberts scraps that too by announcing they're already in the game if you run FRAPS while in the Gladius.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 26, 2016

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Toops posted:

Thread Title: "No More Star Marine? YES more Star Marine!!"
Thread OP: CIG Ben Lesnick
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6290389#Comment_6290389

Romes128 posted:

Funny reading that now considering Chris roberts decree of "it's only true if it comes from my mouth."

Basically all but one of their web shows are instantly invalidated. Lol.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/289586/no-more-star-marine-yes-more-star-marine

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

wyoak posted:

hire an editor good lord

Uh I think that site is just a few people that write stuff. I doubt they make enough money to hire staff.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

D_Smart posted:

^this

Also, very few want to have to put this sort of thing in print: That rear end in a top hat, Derek Smart, was right. The whole loving time. Like, seriously!

gently caress it; I'll put it in print. I think you're right.

I wish I were wrong. I really wish I had been wrong and could eat my words and see Star Citizen be a massive hit and see Bootcha make a million bucks and that everyone would have loads of fun playing it.

As it is . . . gently caress it. There's not really anything else I can say that doesn't amount to that.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

^this

Have you considered changing your name? Then they could publish the article and mention you (under the new name) and nobody would notice.

How about Derek Genius?

EminusSleepus posted:

You need to change your middle name to Rightly so you will be called Derek Rightly Smart

Goddamn, my highly original and witty joke! gently caress me!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 26, 2016

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

So is boarding implemented like Chris Roberts stated in the video?

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

Romes128 posted:

Uh I think that site is just a few people that write stuff. I doubt they make enough money to hire staff.

Well thank you. Cause here's the thing I don't think people grasp, we are two people. We do this because it's something we are passionate about. We aren't making money. I mean seriously, we make like a dollar a month off of the site that cost $5 to host. That's the reality. We haven't even seen a cent of that yet, as we aren't even close to the payout we would need to even begin to monetize it. We aren't doing this for fame, or to be beloved, or any of that poo poo. We are just two people doing what we think is right and what we enjoy doing.

We've considered just giving up on it, but here's the thing it's our dream to do what we love and not be stuck under the boot of some other corporation/employer always having to answer to them. We in all honestly are barely getting by, but we keep going because once again, this is what we love to do. Not to mention, this is less then a year old. It's not like we have massive years of experience doing this.

And that's really the thing about it. We could sit there and be content to work bullshit jobs day in and day out answering to everyone but ourselves, but we're not. We're daring to follow our dream and do what we want to do. If it works, it works. If not, at least we can say we tried. So with that in mind, we would hire an editor, but we can't. Because we'er not that big nor are we that well known to even warrant such. At the end of the day, we don't advertise like everyone else. We aren't shills. We don't bombard people asking for money or followers, etc. We just don't. If you like it, cool. If not, that's cool too.

More then anything, my only interest, THE ONLY THING, that matters to me is this - is my wife happy and have I made her smile/laugh? If the answer is yes, then I could honestly give a gently caress less what anyone else has to say.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
No, Star Marine is not canceled. - Ben Lesnick, July 2015

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/271173/some-thoughts-on-concerns/p1

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

If course it wasn't cancelled.

It was released today.

Don't worry, you don't have to download anything else. It was there all along.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
I've seen the true Chris Roberts today. A rich, spoiled, punk-rear end 11 year-old who throws a loving tantrum every time someone tells him no. An rear end in a top hat. A con artist.

Just look at how he mixes his verb tenses. He brain is must be a REAL fun place.

"I sort of get annoyed sometimes when I sort of see this pop up in comments and stuff like 'Oh Star Marine is cancelled' or 'Where's STAR Marine??" Well, Star Marine was just a game mode for people to play the FPS element of Star Citizen until we could combine everything together. Flying, running around, shooting, all the rest of the stuff, all together. Well, that is what's in 2.0, that is what's in 2.1. So, with the Alpha 2.0 onwards, you have basically what we were planning to do with Star Citizen from the very very very beginning. If you go back and look at the original pitch, we didn't say 'Hey we're doing Star Marine', we say we will have FPS, we will have boarding. Well, you HAVE FPS, you HAVE boarding right now"

He's either a god-like creature that lives outside of discrete time, or he's a subnormal con-artist, and he doesn't much look like a god-like create that lives outside of discrete time to me so I guess that pretty much narrows it down.

Toops fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 26, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Toops posted:

I've seen the true Chris Roberts today. A rich, spoiled, punk-rear end 11 year-old who throws a loving tantrum every time someone tells him no. An rear end in a top hat. A con artist.

Just look at how he mixes his verb tenses. He brain is must be a REAL fun place.

"I sort of get annoyed sometimes when I sort of see this pop up in comments and stuff like 'Oh Star Marine is cancelled' or 'Where's STAR Marine??" Well, Star Marine was just a game mode for people to play the FPS element of Star Citizen until we could combine everything together. Flying, running around, shooting, all the rest of the stuff, all together. Well, that is what's in 2.0, that is what's in 2.1. So, with the Alpha 2.0 onwards, you have basically what we were planning to do with Star Citizen from the very very very beginning. If you go back and look at the original pitch, we didn't say 'Hey we're doing Star Marine', we say we will have FPS, we will have boarding. Well, you HAVE FPS, you HAVE boarding right now"

He's either a god-like creature that lives outside of discrete time, or he's a subnormal con-artist, and he doesn't much look like a god-like create that lives outside of discrete time to me so I guess that pretty much narrows it down.

I'm going with con artist. But that's just me.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

What troubled times we live in. Now the word of Ben is canon but Chris' isn't.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

D_Smart posted:

I think once those Spergs sit down and write down ALL the features that SM was supposed to have, then compare to what's in the PU know, they're going to be making GBS threads bricks. Or maybe not.

I told you all that they were going to pull a stunt like this, rush out whatever they have and call it done. That was back in August when I laid out the plan.

Derek you need to get the refund train out of this scam running again. What would it take to invalidate CIGs claim of substantial progress which they use to deny refunds?

The best part of these threads was seeing goons get their money back, and you deserve credit for enabling that.

This is your chance for true glory! Summon your legal :woof: pack and tear down that "gently caress you, got ours" refund denial letter. Oh and give us frequent detailed, self-referential updates about it.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Well thank you. Cause here's the thing I don't think people grasp, we are two people. We do this because it's something we are passionate about. We aren't making money. I mean seriously, we make like a dollar a month off of the site that cost $5 to host. That's the reality. We haven't even seen a cent of that yet, as we aren't even close to the payout we would need to even begin to monetize it. We aren't doing this for fame, or to be beloved, or any of that poo poo. We are just two people doing what we think is right and what we enjoy doing.

We've considered just giving up on it, but here's the thing it's our dream to do what we love and not be stuck under the boot of some other corporation/employer always having to answer to them. We in all honestly are barely getting by, but we keep going because once again, this is what we love to do. Not to mention, this is less then a year old. It's not like we have massive years of experience doing this.

And that's really the thing about it. We could sit there and be content to work bullshit jobs day in and day out answering to everyone but ourselves, but we're not. We're daring to follow our dream and do what we want to do. If it works, it works. If not, at least we can say we tried. So with that in mind, we would hire an editor, but we can't. Because we'er not that big nor are we that well known to even warrant such. At the end of the day, we don't advertise like everyone else. We aren't shills. We don't bombard people asking for money or followers, etc. We just don't. If you like it, cool. If not, that's cool too.

More then anything, my only interest, THE ONLY THING, that matters to me is this - is my wife happy and have I made her smile/laugh? If the answer is yes, then I could honestly give a gently caress less what anyone else has to say.

I will give you $50 for a picture of a future article that you pinkie promise you will write about boiled ribs.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Toops posted:

I think he's just an idiot who happened to have a good idea once.

I tried to read his dialog in my head to see if it made sense, and it almost broke my brain. It's not late enough for that to happen on its own. I think he just has a vague idea of what it's supposed to be and no idea whatsoever of how to put it in practice without simultaneously ruining it.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

CashEnsign posted:

I will give you $50 for a picture of a future article that you pinkie promise you will write about boiled ribs.

Depends what would you like us to write regarding boiled ribs? We've been thinking of ways to branch out, maybe a monthly series based around boiled foods is the way to go. Maybe we can just start to post the best of SA recipes.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Depends what would you like us to write regarding boiled ribs? We've been thinking of ways to branch out, maybe a monthly series based around boiled foods is the way to go. Maybe we can just start to post the best of SA recipes.

Sauerkraut, kielbasa and pierogi.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Mirificus posted:

I wonder when/if they realized they have a trademark issue. Although even without that issue, their technical incompetence would probably have torpedoed the module anyways.
It's likely that the first time someone from CIG realized "Star Marine" was already trademarked was when a Santa Monica intern, assigned to read this thread for actionable info, saw us laughing about it 200+ pages ago...

(And she still probably hasn't broken the news to Chris or Sandi, because who wants to break the news to their capricious bosses that they are absolute idiots? Especially the one with who studied "Marketing, Business Management, and Law and that sort of thing" at a very prestigious college she did not really attend?)

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

Toops posted:

The logic of an autocrat.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

I recommend removing the stick from your rear end as you dare to follow your dream.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

It's likely that the first time someone from CIG realized "Star Marine" was already trademarked was when a Santa Monica intern, assigned to read this thread for actionable info, saw us laughing about it 200+ pages ago...

(And she still probably hasn't broken the news to Chris or Sandi, because who wants to break the news to their capricious bosses that they are absolute idiots? Especially the one with who studied "Marketing, Business Management, and Law and that sort of thing" at a very prestigious college she did not really attend?)

You know, you might be onto something there. Considering the lunatics we're talking about here, anything is possible.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

Solarin posted:

I recommend removing the stick from your rear end as you dare to follow your dream.

If you would like to get down there and let me know where it is I'll be more then happy to allow you a peak. Real original comment though. I give you credit for that. I've never once heard about a stick in the rear end. That's an entirely new concept. If you have something of actual value to say, then come with it. If not, well the offer still stands to come try to find the stick. Maybe we can replace it with your head since you have such a wonderful understanding of who/what I am.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Kidding aside the lack of interest beyond the updates that CIG puts out by the gaming media as a whole is rather perplexing. At the same time though, not that surprising. Gaming media for a number of years now has been playing it safe. Content to get money or favors in return for good press. If they dared to question what CIG was doing and then they ended up growing into to some juggernaut of a company said gaming press would loose their ability to get these favors and inside info. This is not something they are willing to gamble on, no matter how much of a benefit it would be to the consumer. And that's really the saddest part of it all. We have a press that claims to be there for the consumer, but everything they do shows otherwise.

It's a sad state of affairs, but it's been going on for some time. It's why I don't give a poo poo about saying something, I'm not getting access as is nor do I care to if that's the cost, so I'm going to say what I want as opposed to what they want me to say.

It's funny to me that Gawker owns both Deadspin (who actively spits in the face of conventional sports media) and Kotaku (is Kotaku). Every so often Kotaku will make show of saying they STOOD ON PRINCIPLE and therefore some publisher won't give them access, but they're just as weak-sauce as the other gaming sites.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Star Marine?

You already have it.

Arena Commander?

You already have it.

Squadron 42?

You already have it.

Persistent Universe?

You already have it.

Star Citizen?

You already have it.

Seriously guys, sometimes I think you just bitch for the sake of bitching. It's not healthy. Please grow up.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Everything from Star Marine is in 2.0 except for [every Star Marine feature].

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42pybg/chris_roberts_grab_your_ball_and_man_up/

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Madcosby posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/270217/player-character-vaccination-for-interstellar-travel

Since the persistent universe of Star Citizen will be vast indeed, and the game will be a sim, I think we should have a discussion on vaccinations. I believe all our characters should have mandatory vaccination for interstellar travel due to different microbial systems that each planet or station may have. Since the game is set in the future I believe that most of the toxins would be removed from these vaccinations that thus our player characters, or their possible offspring would not develop any adverse effects that would be detrimental to their health.

If a player refuses to get vaccinated I believe they should be tagged so that we can choose to interact with them or not, and possibly maybe have the UEE force them with a minor jail sentence to receive said booster shot for the greater good of the intergalactic community.

What does everyone else think?

I for one think we need to implement some common sense gun laws to prevent the rampant space crime we keep hearing about on the forum.

cixorez posted:

check this out

http://en.spaceengine.org/

done with a measly 38k
imagine those guys getting 106mil...

I wonder if Chris Roberts would consider just buying this guy out and including a loading screen between shootmans and spaceshipmans.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Exactly. That's what people should be focused on. Not semantics about Star Marine and what they are and are not doing with. That's little more than a petty distraction from the real insantiy. Chris Roberts is basically saying that they've delivered on all their promises. He's saying that everything they've planned for Star Citizen is already there.

This is why they're justifying denying refunds. This is why they're violating their own TOS and not showing their finances. This is why they can walk away at any time with a multi-million production company and do whatever cinematic bullshit Chris wants. Digital Anvil was run into the ground because it was a digital production company masquerading as a game studio, but the publishers fronting the money expected a game to be delivered and had the legal clout to get what they paid for. Now Chris is doing the exact same thing all over again, only now there are no publishers to sue him into oblivion when he fails to deliver. These people are hosed and they have absolutely no means of stopping it.

We have Derek Smart. He's not the publisher we deserve, but he is the litigious rear end in a top hat we have.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

STFU, if anyone screwed up Illfonic did and CR is classy enough to quietly dismiss them.

edit:

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

If you would like to get down there and let me know where it is I'll be more then happy to allow you a peak. Real original comment though. I give you credit for that. I've never once heard about a stick in the rear end. That's an entirely new concept. If you have something of actual value to say, then come with it. If not, well the offer still stands to come try to find the stick. Maybe we can replace it with your head since you have such a wonderful understanding of who/what I am.

lol

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tokamak posted:

Everything from Star Marine is in 2.0 except for [every Star Marine feature].

And the name.

But, on the other hand it now includes space ships. Sure you have to pay for them but it's not often that you can start a FPS match, get into your Idris, and bomb all them poor assholes.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

skaboomizzy posted:

It's funny to me that Gawker owns both Deadspin (who actively spits in the face of conventional sports media) and Kotaku (is Kotaku). Every so often Kotaku will make show of saying they STOOD ON PRINCIPLE and therefore some publisher won't give them access, but they're just as weak-sauce as the other gaming sites.

Yeah, the problem with Kotaku, as I see it at least, is they clearly have an agenda. Which almost everyone does, but there's is so transparent it's not even funny. Like you said, every once in awhile they will stand on principle and that's all well and good, but they're clearly pushing their own agenda. Which is their right. But they get a bad rap for a reason generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

whoa there i wasn't calling you a bad person, just saying that a little proofreading goes a long way. constant grammatical errors aren't going to help you make your point or grow a readership (unless they're accompanied with funny videos or pictures of cats).

• Locked thread