Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

Has there ever been a demo of S42's gameplay?

I don't mean cutscenes or the chatwheel or the nonconsensual encounter with your mandatory romantic partner over a pinball machine.

Like, five minutes of a mission where you're in a space ship and you do a thing and people nod and say ok yes this is a game.

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Isn't that what happened with Digital Anvil?

I've always been curious what stage Freelancer reached when Microsoft was forced to salvage the situation.

I suspect it was about where we are now.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

I don't mean cutscenes or the chatwheel or the nonconsensual encounter with your mandatory romantic partner over a pinball machine.

Like, five minutes of a mission where you're in a space ship and you do a thing and people nod and say ok yes this is a game.

Wut? And ruin the surprised in-store for them by their visionary? That will not happen unless Derek gets a leak! And then we can ruin it for them spergs.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

EminusSleepus posted:

The word studios was spelled stuidos, wait till spelling nazis will reprimand you

Well poo poo. I don't know how we missed that. Unless it was a quote. We didn't spell check any of that. But Ill look over it once again to ensure that's fixed.

Could be the lack of sleep too.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

I've always been curious what stage Freelancer reached when Microsoft was forced to salvage the situation.

I suspect it was about where we are now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chris was using Microsoft's money to pay for Wing Commander.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

:eyepop:

WebDO posted:

Someone should really make an elaborate gif of that scene with the detective figuring things out from The Usual Suspects only put promised features in place of all the names.
A line saying that Ben is a "big fat guy, I mean like orca fat" just sort of writes itself.

Also, "Convince me, Chris. Tell me everything I wanna know."

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I often wonder how much money has been laundered using Star Citizen

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.
And if someone wants to just drop that on reddit, I wont complain. I just stay away from that hellhole. But I do love seeing them lose their poo poo.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Nobody here really gives a poo poo if you/your site aren't the best of the best writers, but we will criticize you over anything possible. Just roll with the criticisms, accept them, stand behind doing the best you can, and improve yourself. We love having someone here posting critical articles for public consumption, but we're still going to go at you if we perceive any opening.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

Dusty Lens posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8YkjRs-S8w

The one from CitizenCon '15 is the only one I think.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

XK posted:

Nobody here really gives a poo poo if you/your site aren't the best of the best writers, but we will criticize you over anything possible. Just roll with the criticisms, accept them, stand behind doing the best you can, and improve yourself. We love having someone here posting critical articles for public consumption, but we're still going to go at you if we perceive any opening.

Right on. And thank you.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

And if someone wants to just drop that on reddit, I wont complain. I just stay away from that hellhole. But I do love seeing them lose their poo poo.

The /r/starcitizen subreddit has become a combination of North Korea + Iran in terms of strictness because new accounts will need approval from mods if you post something, I mean it won't be visible unless they allow it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
same

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Hey reddit, enjoy not being able to get a refund.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Step away from the computer for a couple of hours and return to see this thread has blown up for some reason, then I read Derek's twitter.

Oh goddamn, you never fail to deliver, Dr Smart :allears:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jum-Jum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8YkjRs-S8w

The one from CitizenCon '15 is the only one I think.

Yup. That's all we've ever seen of SQ42, and nothing about flying.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

The game was there all along. It was in your heart.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

EminusSleepus posted:

The /r/starcitizen subreddit has become a combination of North Korea + Iran in terms of strictness because new accounts will need approval from mods if you post something, I mean it won't be visible unless they allow it.

When did they finally go defcon 5? Jesus.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Dapper Dan posted:

Yeah, seriously. But I don't think that Chris cares about the backers at all. He figures that the money is like a gift or something to do what he pleases with it

Holy gently caress, these people. Ok, they seriously have the mental capacity of a child since apparently they believe whatever they are told

Seeing that most aren't kids but mature grown-up people with careers and good paying jobs, I think it's better to perceive them as dr(eam)ug addicts, you are not going to get clean unless the desire is given birth to by yourself. What made them addicted? The illusion of contributing in creating the game that gives them back their childhood. Powerful stuff. (Makes you think)

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Star Citizen: Forget their words from before and focus on their current words

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
has anyone begun telling us how losing all their producers is part of the development process and normal turnover yet

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

When did they finally go defcon 5? Jesus.

CIG have gone so off the rails that they cannot muster up the mental gymnastics to defend stuff any more. It's easier to just pretend it's all ok without people ruining the fantasy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

has anyone begun telling us how losing all their producers is part of the development process and normal turnover yet

yep

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/42rrcl/skippy_claims_snr_producer_leaving_is_breaking/

the whole 'Skippy' thing really strikes me as them trying way too hard to act dismissive about Derek Smart

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Eonwe posted:

Go forth to the brown sea and you will find your answer there.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Eonwe posted:

Of course that's the first line of defense, I liked the guy on reddit, that was evaluating the importance of a producer FTE to a successful project to matter less than a CS FTE... why would EXPERIENCED producers jump a project voluntary, mid-development (especially if is as revolutionary as the second coming), when producing is all about shipping successful products. Obviously the product is flawed - we all know why - lovely management.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42rsq8/about_star_marine_serious/

this thread owns

some people are seriously questioning Chris for the first time I've ever seen

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

When the part of the game they're working on gets pulled from under their feet, it's natural and good that a producer would fly like a procedurally generated bird without giving notice.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

shoutouts to smokey & combat wombatz

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I wonder how long after Star Citizen crashes and burns that r/DerekSmart will still have activity.

I can easily imagine some people sore enough to keep it going years after CIG has imploded, purely out of spite.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today I learned that Illfonic is the reason Star Marine failed, because there were tons of delays and CIG scrapped aspects of their work.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Just read this article and it seems even the positive spin that most are trying to put on the project seems to be turning sour. Anyone hoping for even any level of credibility as a journalist or just a moderate on the issue admits that DSmart is making accurate allegations and valid criticisms at this point, regardless of his reasoning for doing so.

At this point I';m starting to think Derek would be better off leaving trhe business of making games and just getting himself on with kickstarter as a fraud investigator because with all the poo poo going on with kickstarter projects turning sour, a known bloodhound working with them to help stamp it out may be the best way for them to garner some goodwill and avoid legislation turning against them

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42rsq8/about_star_marine_serious/czcpnkm

A good reddit post with all the updates that were posted about star marine that is now only ~~DREAMS~~

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

Booblord Zagats posted:

Just read this article and it seems even the positive spin that most are trying to put on the project seems to be turning sour. Anyone hoping for even any level of credibility as a journalist or just a moderate on the issue admits that DSmart is making accurate allegations and valid criticisms at this point, regardless of his reasoning for doing so.

At this point I';m starting to think Derek would be better off leaving trhe business of making games and just getting himself on with kickstarter as a fraud investigator because with all the poo poo going on with kickstarter projects turning sour, a known bloodhound working with them to help stamp it out may be the best way for them to garner some goodwill and avoid legislation turning against them

I've often wondered how the fans (see fanatics) would react if DS was proven even 50% correct. After talking so much poo poo they would be faced with having to reevaluate so much about what they've believed. It will be very interesting to say the least.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

I've often wondered how the fans (see fanatics) would react if DS was proven even 50% correct. After talking so much poo poo they would be faced with having to reevaluate so much about what they've believed. It will be very interesting to say the least.

Someone needs to break down derek's claims and we can have stretch goals when he reaches certain percentages of predictions made.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Thank you and thank you. Just hope this shows them, in their own words, that what they have is nowhere close to what was promised.

The comment section of this article is about to implode. It will be glorious.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I wonder how long after Star Citizen crashes and burns that r/DerekSmart will still have activity.

I can easily imagine some people sore enough to keep it going years after CIG has imploded, purely out of spite.

Well we had a similar level of delusion with mtgox and bitcoin - mtgox isn't very active anymore, as a sub on reddit aside of the few comments that try to usher their fading hope to recover some funds, but mtgox has certainly entered folklore as a meaningful term.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Today I learned that Illfonic is the reason Star Marine failed, because there were tons of delays and CIG scrapped aspects of their work.

Anyone that has followed closely the words of those at CIG that have moved on but dared to comment in some way, knows that the issue is CIG management not being able to communicate clear, consistent and persistent requirements while nurturing a hellhole to work in. I wouldn't be surprised, if Jason Hutchings walked out the moment he saw the 10FTC from Monday and only got to know that way, that Star Marine has been set back indefinitely in priority. We believe to know, that Illfonic was just a scapegoat to justify the Baby PTU while Illfonic's Star Marine is salvaged for the tiny bits of code that can be re-used in their merged development stream, since Star Marine by Illfonic proved to be incompatible with due to outdated requirements communicated by CIG.

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 26, 2016

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I hope everyone working for CIG has their careers ruined, none of that Nuremberg defense poo poo

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

blueberrysmith posted:

The comment section of this article is about to implode. It will be glorious.

I rarely look at the comments. But when I do, I hope for implosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Booblord Zagats posted:

Wait how is mad catz even able to do a controller? They pretty much bet the farm on Rockband 4 and if it tanks they said they were pretty much hosed.

http://www.gamecrate.com/mad-catz-staves-financial-ruin-doubles-down-rock-band-4/11240

• Locked thread