Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Is an i5 4590 significantly better than an i5 3470 or should I aim higher? I play a lot of newer stuff and already have a 970.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The only worthwhile upgrade might be a 4790k I'd say. Nothing else would offset the cost of the motherboard to justify it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The pump headers are probably so they stop getting emails asking where to plug in their water pump. Maybe it supports a little more power but I doubt it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

LiquidRain posted:

The only worthwhile upgrade might be a 4790k I'd say. Nothing else would offset the cost of the motherboard to justify it.

And even this would be questionable. RBX do you do anything outside of gaming? If no don't bother upgrading your CPU this... I want to say year.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
I've been looking at getting a new desktop sometime after the new generation of video cards land and I've been debating about getting either a new skylake cpu or a new broadwell-e. Both are in the same ballpark for price, but I'm wondering if I'd see a performance gain from the hexa core. I usually play strategy, 4x, and RTS games, as well a city builders and the like.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Boiled Water posted:

And even this would be questionable. RBX do you do anything outside of gaming? If no don't bother upgrading your CPU this... I want to say year.

2 years realistically

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Gorau posted:

I've been looking at getting a new desktop sometime after the new generation of video cards land and I've been debating about getting either a new skylake cpu or a new broadwell-e. Both are in the same ballpark for price, but I'm wondering if I'd see a performance gain from the hexa core. I usually play strategy, 4x, and RTS games, as well a city builders and the like.

Those are the sorts of games that you would be most likely to see gains from additional cores on, but whether you would see those gains depends on the individual games. I'd just go hexacore because it's going to be plenty fast for pretty much any game and you might see some performance gains from the extra cores in the future. I mean, it's the same price so why not?

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I upgraded from an i5-3570 to an i7-4790K simply because I do a lot of h.264 encoding and because I wanted an upgrade. If I hadn't had both of those reasons, I'd not have done it, the 3570 was more than good enough.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I upgraded from a 2600k to a 5820k (@4.2GHz) and got ~2x the performance in x264. Worth it.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I have a 4790k and it's running pretty high temperatures--idling around 60-70C and going up to 80-100C when I'm doing stuff like games or heavy duty stuff like building lighting in Unreal. I haven't overclocked it and I'm using the stock heatsink, made double sure it's correctly secured and I applied the thermal paste correctly and in the right amount. Is that safe? I've already ruled out case airflow as the problem--is it worth buying a third party heatsink to take care of it, or am I ok?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Haledjian posted:

I have a 4790k and it's running pretty high temperatures--idling around 60-70C and going up to 80-100C when I'm doing stuff like games or heavy duty stuff like building lighting in Unreal. I haven't overclocked it and I'm using the stock heatsink, made double sure it's correctly secured and I applied the thermal paste correctly and in the right amount. Is that safe? I've already ruled out case airflow as the problem--is it worth buying a third party heatsink to take care of it, or am I ok?

I would say 99% one of your heatsink pushpins are not properly set, even if you say they are. Touch the heatsink, if the cpu is at 70c then it should be scorching hot if its secured properly.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005852.html

The orientation they are turned DOES matter.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Don Lapre posted:

I would say 99% one of your heatsink pushpins are not properly set, even if you say they are. Touch the heatsink, if the cpu is at 70c then it should be scorching hot if its secured properly.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005852.html

The orientation they are turned DOES matter.

Hmm, it's not scorching hot. I'll try remounting it. Thanks!

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I had this same problem. I eventually went with a third party cooler to deal with mine.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'm planning to get a new laptop sometime this year, because my current laptop is a 5 year old Sandy Bridge i7 and it's starting to show it's age. And obviously I can't squeeze more years out of by overclocking.

Would it be worth it to wait for another generation of chips to come out, for a replacement laptop that I also expect to keep for 5 years, or are the generation out now fine?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What exactly happened with the desktop Broadwell launch? Why was I never able to buy any of the iX-5XXX CPUs at Microcenter, Fry's or anywhere?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

What exactly happened with the desktop Broadwell launch? Why was I never able to buy any of the iX-5XXX CPUs at Microcenter, Fry's or anywhere?

First 14nm cpus have bad yields. You can buy them now easilly.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

fishmech posted:

I'm planning to get a new laptop sometime this year, because my current laptop is a 5 year old Sandy Bridge i7 and it's starting to show it's age. And obviously I can't squeeze more years out of by overclocking.

Would it be worth it to wait for another generation of chips to come out, for a replacement laptop that I also expect to keep for 5 years, or are the generation out now fine?

if you can make it to the gen switch, you might as well. at least then you could buy a cheaper version of the previous gen laptop

if not, each gen is like 5-10% better than the next so you're not gaining or losing a whole lot

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

First 14nm cpus have bad yields. You can buy them now easilly.

I see that them out there, but it looks like none of the brick and mortar retail around me decided to carry any inventory. They're also more expensive than their Skylake replacements by a good amount!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Supply of rarer high-end Z97 motherboards is starting to dry out, too. I had to pick up my Z97X-SOC Force off of the gray market because they're otherwise gouged through the roof new.

That said, 5775Cs are going for 370 and 5675Cs are going for 275 if you're looking in the right places (online, sorry). I think the former is still lower than the 6700K because of high demand for the latter.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 26, 2016

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Picked up a 5775c for slightly less than MSRP that's now running at a marginal 4.1GHz. :shobon:

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
What voltage?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Haledjian posted:

Hmm, it's not scorching hot. I'll try remounting it. Thanks!

Even if it is fitted correctly, there are many stories about the 4790k throttling with the stock heatsink around the internet. I always recommend a decent third party hsf for that chip.

vv The 4790K is reported as throttling at stock under heavy loads with the stock cooler; here are a few anecdotes I found from a quick search. It seems to come up often enough that it's probably best to be on the safe side.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 26, 2016

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

HalloKitty posted:

Even if it is fitted correctly, there are many stories about the 4790k throttling with the stock heatsink around the internet. I always recommend a decent third party hsf for that chip.

It's a good recommendation, but only if you post the addendum that this only counts for some overlocks. A little bit of overclocking won't hurt a fly.

let i hug
Dec 25, 2011

fishmech posted:

Malcolm XML posted:

if you can make it to the gen switch, you might as well. at least then you could buy a cheaper version of the previous gen laptop

if not, each gen is like 5-10% better than the next so you're not gaining or losing a whole lot

The laptop gains have actually been much more significant than on the desktop side of things because battery life matters. Haswell was groundbreaking for laptops, and Skylake is only better. Upgrade.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Xir posted:

I upgraded from an i5-3570 to an i7-4790K simply because I do a lot of h.264 encoding and because I wanted an upgrade. If I hadn't had both of those reasons, I'd not have done it, the 3570 was more than good enough.

I still have a 3570k overclocked to 4.2 GHz. I guess I'll be good for the next year or two?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

I still have a 3570k overclocked to 4.2 GHz. I guess I'll be good for the next year or two?

Yes

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I really want DX12 to make heavy threading a big benefit so I can justify blowing a few hundred dollars on an i7. I should probably spend that money on therapy instead.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Panty Saluter posted:

I really want DX12 to make heavy threading a big benefit so I can justify blowing a few hundred dollars on an i7. I should probably spend that money on therapy instead.

It's probably not going to give you that much of a benefit. I mean most of the grunt work is on the GPU, anyway, and things can be parallelised only so far, Amdahl's law and all that.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

feedmegin posted:

It's probably not going to give you that much of a benefit. I mean most of the grunt work is on the GPU, anyway, and things can be parallelised only so far, Amdahl's law and all that.

Let me dream of a world where I can blow money on my stupid hobby :smith:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

With the next gen GPU's having HBM on them, that might make the CPU have more they have to do to keep the GPU's of the future fed, and I agree I hope DX12 makes that a reality in the long run.

The FPS boost you see in games like Project Cars from DX11 to DX12 looks promising at keeping the games FPS consistently high vs dipping at heavy load areas on midrange hardware which was impressive.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Is Project Cars all DX12 now? I've been interested in a Gran Turismo-like for PC and that certainly would fit the bill. I've wanted a DX12 game to try out as well and that would be a strong selling point.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone know if they're releasing a 6 core i7? You'd think i'd be out by now.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It's not what I would call a GT for the PC, however it is the most beautiful and physically accurate racing game I have played so far. Asseto Corsa is a really close second as well. I don't think Project Cars is DX12 yet, but it is coming among other things.

Comparing racing games, the GT series on the PS3, 5 and 6, both have ok physics and force feedback feel, Forza 5 and 6 on the Xbox One greatly disappointed me in how bad the force feedback was when I got a G290 to test with it, and the physics while reasonably ok with the cars stock, seems to just throw traction to the wind when you start to do any mods without tuning the suspension like mad. (Considering I own a few cars that are ingame, and when matching the "performance level" of the game to my real life, I should be dead now by the way I felt the physics emulated the handling).

Asseto Corsa is Really good as well but Project Cars really seems to nail near perfection as far as what I would expect grip and different platforms of each car to feel like. Mid engine cars handle and feel exactly like I would expect which a lighter touch on power and breaking helps keep things in check, the Caterham handles great as long as you respect its lightness and small wheels ( and I believe open Diff). If you drive it wide open you will wonder why the car doesn't seem to want to stop sliding sideways as you make your way around turns. Letting off the gas a little until your rear end settles in the direction you want to head, and using its light weight to keep the speed up around the turns, allows that car to just fly around a track and is a ton of fun. The BMW M1 feels exactly like I would expect with respect to its weight, power and handling. And each car since has continued to impress me in exactly the way I would expect in real life.

Lots of words, but in conclusion. Get Project Cars, Have a Good FFB wheel, and treat it like a true driving sim. It is amazing.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ervin K posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117402

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ervin K posted:

Yea since the Ivy Bride Time. Thats what the -E series has been for on the X79/X99 chipsets.

6 Cores Starting with the X79 chipset series, i7 3930K (mine) / 3960X / 4930K / 4960X, and the X99 series, 5820K / 5930K / and 8 cores with the 5960X

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

I have a decent FFB wheel that has been collecting dust forever. Like, even with everything I sold off for the Big Move of '06 I kept the wheel that I almost never use. Can't bring myself to sell it even though I play driving games pretty infrequently these days.

I totally feel you on GT (even though the last one I played is 4). I was really impresses by GT Legends' ability to emulate the feel of driving an FF car hard and how the front end slips and hops. GT has never really progressed in that regard, far as I can tell. Also every car sounds like dang vacuum cleaner :argh:

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry, I meant a 6 core skylake

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Okay so I'm thinking of getting a 6700k. How far are we from cannonlake? Are there any other processors I should be considering at this time for gaming?

edit: I currently have a 3570k.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 26, 2016

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Ervin K posted:

I think Broadwell-E is due this year. The -E series usually lags 1-2 years behind the mainstream releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Ervin K posted:

That would be right on schedule if it arrived in 2017. 6 core Haswell probably meets whatever need you're thinking of, though!