Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Dusty Lens posted:

I have never heard that one and do not believe it to be the case. If I'm not mistaken they're a Canadian web development company that is generally tasked with nearly everything associated with the engineering side of their website and much of the design work. They generally eat bowls of crow for every major ship sale being riddled with numerical issues and chronic delays on features. Also for some reason they designed the 890 Jump?

Generally CIG seems happy to claim that everything Turbulent releases/is working on is months late for one reason or another. My best guess is that CIG doesn't want to spend money on things, or gives them bad information, and lets them take the fall for it. Orgs 2.0 was supposed to come out ages ago but it's more likely that CIG never contracted out the work/had no design goal so they fell back on blaming Turbulent for taking ages to get anything done.

Most of the companies associated with Ortwin Freyermuth/lawyer friend are generally holdovers from Chris Robert's movie producing era and appear to be extremely confusing pools of money from which refunds were being drawn.

But I haven't really looked too deeply into any of that given that 90% of the news in that corner fell under the umbrella of the non-existent lawsuits/the hilarious Swedish mafia chapter of the Derek Smart predicted everything saga. So assume everything I say is completely wrong.

Oh ok, I got confused. I could have sworn that there was some 'other' company that Roberts and friends created with backer money that was presumably to help with funding games or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So I had Akinator guess Chris Roberts.
I answered to "Is your character married to a celebrity" yes.
:v:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Michaellaneous posted:

So I had Akinator guess Chris Roberts.
I answered to "Is your character married to a celebrity" yes.
:v:

lol

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
imagine being Lesnick and Huckaby right now, knowing that they're going to have to produce troths of word salad to justify SM's cancellation in the near future. I would quit on the spot.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Sweet Abe is dead

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Akinator could not guess Sandi tho, Akinator guessed Sandra Bullock

DigitalDud
Sep 6, 2005
The fact that they're starting to cut features at all is a great change in direction. This could be the sign that some actual project management is starting to kick in over at CIG instead of just "Dreams". :rolleyes:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

It's on page 6 I believe, but honestly this entire thread is loving gold. I don't think I've ever seen the backers this upset before, and they are pissed.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/315219/star-marine

Some rando sperg named spacetoaster posted it. Of all people.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

A Neurotic Jew posted:

imagine being Lesnick and Huckaby right now, knowing that they're going to have to produce troths of word salad to justify SM's cancellation in the near future. I would quit on the spot.

You lost them at the word 'salad'.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

drat Dirty Ape posted:

ok that was a good one

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Eonwe posted:

Akinator could not guess Sandi tho, Akinator guessed Sandra Bullock

Akinator couldn't get Ben Lesnick and gave up completely :(

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

when SC fails goons will have beat the game, poor redditors never stood a chance with Admiral Smart on board

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

If you are wondering why no feature updates to the Star Citizen PU, it's because they are focusing on SQ42 & putting it in maintenance mode.

My guess is that unless and until SQ42 comes out - in 2017 unless they cut & rush it out in 2016 - the PU will remain stagnant

I think they'll keep adding ships to the hangar and making them flight ready, just so they can sell them. Most people won't realise that's not actually progress on the game, just following a process that's already been established.

The reported server slow downs when people were battling AI interest me, if they do go ahead with a limited economy they have to decide if they are going to add npcs to the social module where server issues won't be as obvious and/or stick them on the persistent universe servers which might break everything.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Iglocska posted:

Akinator couldn't get Ben Lesnick and gave up completely :(

Also Derek Smart is not on there.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015
It gave up on Sandi, though she did show up in the list when he gave up. I felt it was close, it asked whether my character has robbed many people.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

quote:

(20:41:30) user1: like.... everyone basically wants SM cancelled
(20:41:40) user1: even the fanboys
(20:41:46) user1: nobody actually wants it
(20:42:04) dogboy: user1: is this a troll or do you really believe this? that is a serious question
(20:42:52) user1: i really believe it. there might be a vocal minority out there who actually thought SM was a cool idea... but no, most of the SC backers don't give a gently caress about it except the FPS mechanics in the PU

From a chat somewhere on the internet. So this is the $50mil Star Citizen version of Eve Onlines "didn't want that Titan anyways"?

Well, see you in the CoD killer PU module then (until that gets sunk, too).

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Daztek posted:

Soon everything but cutscenes will be removed and Chris Robert's dream will finally be realized.

I really want someone to ask CR if there's a way they can get a menu option to SQ42 that will just play all the cutscenes in order like they're some kind of, I don't know, movie?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Nemo2342 posted:

I really want someone to ask CR if there's a way they can get a menu option to SQ42 that will just play all the cutscenes in order like they're some kind of, I don't know, movie?

I'd like to ask him if there will be a menu option to auto-skip all cutscenes instead of having to manually skip each one.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

drat Dirty Ape posted:

lol

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'm in chatroll right now and it's amazing. The Russians are hitting Berlin with artillery and everyone here is wondering what dress they can buy for the ball next week.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
It appears the peasants have adopted the Emperor's fashion sense

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

grimcreaper posted:

God drat, i wish i could come up with a money making scheme and have it backed by idiots of this... caliber?

The Dark Knight of Star Citizen says the only caliber you need is 5.56mm.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm in chatroll right now and it's amazing. The Russians are hitting Berlin with artillery and everyone here is wondering what dress they can buy for the ball next week.

lmao

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dusty Lens posted:

Yeah, it's weird when they do their RP bs in the chat.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Oh Well, Star Marine is Now Canceled

quote:

Please do me a big favor - while I have bias about Star Citizen, it's the shear concern that I want it to be successful. I hope anyone commenting will try to keep a fair and open mind and avoid personal insults or overly vulgar language. I don't want to moderate or delete comments, as I view that as censorship, but I won't tolerate anyone going too far - so let's please all be cordial.

:clegg:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Cig should pay all the whales who blast an article with "clickbait" for 1000UEC each since they're gonna do it anyway

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BeefThief posted:

The game was there all along. It was in your heart.

Star Citizen: Maybe the real game was the friends we made along the way

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ive made a lot of friends in this thread

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

All that glitters is not gold.

DigitalDud posted:

The fact that they're starting to cut features at all is a great change in direction. This could be the sign that some actual project management is starting to kick in over at CIG instead of just "Dreams". :rolleyes:

This might have been great a couple years ago but I'm not sure if it's gonna help out much at this stage.. hell, it would have been great to go with the "We're not gonna add anything else" like most sensible crowdfunded projects tend to do.. Say no to additional features, even if the money keeps coming in.

Honestly, everyone should follow the great examples of companies like HBS has set. Real specific plans, no crazy additions/stretch goals in middle of funding campaign.

Pillars of Eternity was a great game too and I was happy to back it, but I think they struggled with their stretch goals because they hadn't anticipated the money coming in the way it did.
I really can't imagine what it must have been like at CIG, no one anticipates getting millions, then tens of millions.. and it just keeps on going and going..

So, if you ever consider a crowd-funding campaign, you really, really need to go in prepared with a clear plan on what you're gonna do and you need to be able to say no. When devs start going "Welp, scope changed, we need more now" then that ought to be a red flag.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Anyone who has the 'verse in their heart is a friend from the start.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

So I just thought of something, and hear me out here. What if Chris is actively trying to help the backers get out? Imagine if you will that Chris and Sandi got divorced, as we know they did, and at some point Sandi came up with this "brilliant plan" to milk people of their money. So she came back to Chris, realizing she would need him in order to enact this and convinced him that they needed to get remarried. So they do this and the entire time she is filling his head with this idea that he will be able to not only get back into game development but also back into Hollywood, and being the mush brain that he is he believes her. "

So Chris goes along with the plan and they start about kickstarting SC. The entire time Chris has the best intention and thinks that he is actively doing something that is going to be ground breaking, all the while not realizing that he is secretly being controlled by Sandi. But one day Chris starts to wake up. He realizes that he's been played by those closest to him. So he enacts a plan, a plan so brilliant it borders on idiotic. He will start to actively throw a wrench in the very thing he hopes to achieve. Chris realizing that he's in to deep and that it's to late to back out starts to actively antagonize his fan base, so much so that some actively start asking for refunds. And he continues this, moving dates around, being coy about information, and with the latest video becoming openly hostile towards his very own player base. All because he knows this is the only way he can even begin to save face - in hope that if nothing else some will realize what he's trying to do.

Ultimately what if Chris is trapped by the very beast that he created, SC and Sandi. And that this entire thing is nothing more then a serious cry for help. A cry that will go unanswered.

Of course the truth is much simpler then this, but it's at least something funny to consider.

:tinfoil:

ZenMaster posted:

So, you are saying that Chris really wants.... (in)fidelity!

YEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:laugh:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

So I just thought of something, and hear me out here. What if Chris is actively trying to help the backers get out? ... Ultimately what if Chris is trapped by the very beast that he created, SC and Sandi. And that this entire thing is nothing more then a serious cry for help. A cry that will go unanswered.

Of course the truth is much simpler then this, but it's at least something funny to consider.

At the first whiff of Chris not following script, Ortwin would do some more Hollywood accounting with the seventeen companies they've set up and that would be the end for him. As long as Sandi stayed silent, they'd throw her a bone and give her the mocap studio as her way back into show business, this time in production rather than talent.

Chris, of course, wouldn't even be left with a pot to piss in.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

The Dark Knight of Star Citizen says the only caliber you need is 5.56mm.

Thats.. kinda disturbing. Should we be alerting authorities to his Dark Night character? Is he a 5/7 on the threat scale yet?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Eonwe posted:

I remember thinking you were an idiot a year ago but now I think you're a hilarious idiot and I was legit bummed you were probated in a "joke gaming" forum for making funny video game jokes

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Booblord Zagats posted:

I remember thinking you were an idiot a year ago but now I think you're a hilarious idiot and I was legit bummed you were probated in a "joke gaming" forum for making funny video game jokes

its ok friend, net cafe scandal doesn't like me much and thats okay with me, no hard feelings to any of them!!!!!!

and yes I am an idiot

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Eonwe posted:

I got TWO av's out of it. You got like 5 so far, I think.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Eonwe posted:

its ok friend, net cafe scandal doesn't like me much and thats okay with me, no hard feelings to any of them!!!!!!

and yes I am an idiot

Dont worry, we all have the "hard feelings" for them now. One day, we will shitpost their thread into the gas chamber and it will be glorious.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

I got TWO av's out of it. You got like 5 so far, I think.

I wish I was in a similar position. I'm not funny enough to get a new avatar and I'm not irritating enough to get a worse avatar.

It's a real bowl of poo over here friend.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Got another Star Citizen departure confirmation. Ted Beargeon is also now gone https://www.linkedin.com/in/tbeargeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I'm really ill today, but my housemate brought me Legos and I had Chicken soup.

I'd say that's a better day than anyone who still thought Star Citizen was going to be everything promised is having.

• Locked thread