Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Stringbean posted:

Put your LPL on your Torso. A much better location for where they're mounted, and you don't risk the chance that they get blown the gently caress off. If you downgrade to an XL280 you could do 3x LPL and 4(5 if you wanna run hotter)x MPL. Here's mine:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=383&l=5d0eb1fc17ca9eea308e92028a6001a3f0089c79

Anyone got a Grid Iron, wanna share their builds? It comes with Gauss but I suckdon't like Gauss. So here's my build so far:

GRID IRON

It has a missile mount, but putting on missiles lowers my AC5 ammo :|

vvv Bought it with a bundle. So don't know how that works out. vvv

I prefer having the MPLs in the torso- if I put two in each arm, I lose more firepower from a busted arm than I would from losing one LPL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Endbuster posted:

Just wait til you put modules on them and get the elite skills with double basics. My god it's such a crazy fun time. The QuickDraw brawler I built broke 800 damage last night with 8 kills. Even 2v1d an Urban and Grasshopper and wrecked em.

The triple large pulse laser QuickDraw is still the best though. That thing is nuts.

The Wolverene-6K still has great quirks for using 3 LPL, not sure if it or the quickdraw is better overall.

The quickdraw gets a 15% cooldown bonus, the wolverene does not get one at all but instead gets 20% less duration compared to only 10% for the quickdraw. So they are both pretty great really.

Washout fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 26, 2016

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

New sale up, commandos, stalkers, jagermechs, kintaros, orions, battlemasters, griffins, kit foxes, ice ferrets, hellbringers, gargoyles, ebon jaguars, and panthers. Don't get the metal babby, kit fox or the gargoyle.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Alright! Been thinking about picking up some battlemasters since I've got no assaults after selling my stalkers.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Yessssss... Now I can Master the Griffin

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Ice Ferrets are also probably not something to pick up.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
oh boy i can finally master my kit foxes

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

Drakes posted:

selling my stalkers.

Why would you do this? :(

Totally picking up a Hellbringer and maybe a Battlemaster this sale.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Omg this sale.

I want/need a stalker, a battlemaster, a griffin, or better yet 3 of each and 2 additional jagers/jaguars.
fml.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Elliotw2 posted:

oh boy i can finally master my kit foxes

Just fyi gold kitfoxes have not sold out yet!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Aesculus posted:

New sale up, commandos, stalkers, jagermechs, kintaros, orions, battlemasters, griffins, kit foxes, ice ferrets, hellbringers, gargoyles, ebon jaguars, and panthers. Don't get the metal babby, kit fox or the gargoyle.

Yess ebons

And griffs and jagers and stalkers

Honest Davion
Jul 25, 2006
I buy Joel Nerf Guns
Spotted an allied Atlas D-DC with LRM15x3, Sml Pulse x2 and MGx2.

Of course it sat back on a hill behind the whole team. Of course it did highest damage. Of course that included dumping about 250 LRMs into an ignored and obviously weaponless Stalker while the main fight was happening. I was severely disappointed to not see it torn apart by a single Cheetah.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I also have no idea how id feel piloting this, as i am currently not using artemis abnd this was an idea to incorporate them.

Well, there's a couple schools of atlas thought.

The first is Use a Bigger Engine. 325 or 350 both gives you more heatsinks and increases your torso twist speed, which is vital to surviving in an atlas. You twist like a boss while your weapons are cooling down to spread out incoming fire.

Because if this, pretty much everyone will tell you to run an AC20 for the scare factor and the factor of making everyone else prioritize shooting you which is what you want.

It is, however, pretty much the first gun to go. Enemies hate the poo poo out of it, which is great. Losing the RT is acceptable because the SRMS are a solid backup punch and its meant fire's going to a disposable location. (If you're tired of losing the 20 constantly, 2 lbx10s can work instead, but its so heavy it will cost you some engine size AND this is only good on the DDC - due the ballistic slots, and the -d having ac20 cooldown quirks)

What you want to do is stagger your cooldowns so you stop twisting and drop the hammer all at the same time. Now, here's why it goes hand in hand: Ac20 has a four second cooldown. So do SRM6's. For comparison, SRM4's are 3 seconds and the ac10 is 2.5.

Now, where this gets thrown off is with quirks and modules. Depending on what you have and the model and what feels right, you can swap it around some. I tend to run srm4's because I have a cooldown module for the ac20 and I like how it matches up.

Basically, if you're going to run an AC10 you need to make up the difference elsewhere. That means SMR6's and better energy weapons. Medium or large pulses, likely. Think of it in terms of making up that damage.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
ASRM6s are the primary weapon systems on DDCs and 7S, not the AC/20. They do the most damage and are the most crit resistant. That is the side you should shield at all times, and the guns that should have "extra" ammo if you choose to one or the other to go heavy on.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Got my battlemasters, decide to mess with XL engine in an assault, made efforts to direct enemy fire to CT.

Rocketpriest posted:

Why would you do this? :(

Totally picking up a Hellbringer and maybe a Battlemaster this sale.

I just didn't like the 310 engine cap and their non-existant arms that didn't help when it came to spreading damage. Tiny CT led to losing side torsos alarmingly fast.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Battlemasters are actually really good now. The -2C gets crazy structure quirks and the -1S has a great 25% energy range bonus plus shoulder mounts.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

apostateCourier posted:

I prefer having the MPLs in the torso- if I put two in each arm, I lose more firepower from a busted arm than I would from losing one LPL.

LPL does almost as much damage as 2 MPL's (11 for LPL, 6 Per MPL), has longer range and generates less heat :ssh:

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Pattonesque posted:

Battlemasters are actually really good now. The -2C gets crazy structure quirks and the -1S has a great 25% energy range bonus plus shoulder mounts.

I can't tell you how much I want this build to be viable:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=120&l=3fdde5fe5465835bb68fb50c9ef86c1a0d10ff5e

Tried to make it work for so very long

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Hellbringer is amazing really, it gets really high hardpoints and the different torsos will let you use any loadouts you want. I tend to do the best in a 4mpl 3spl, but normal clan laservomit build of 2lpulse and 2 mediums is great too.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I can't tell you how much I want this build to be viable:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=120&l=3fdde5fe5465835bb68fb50c9ef86c1a0d10ff5e

Tried to make it work for so very long

heck it might work now that SRMS have been buffed

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Bolow posted:

LPL does almost as much damage as 2 MPL's (11 for LPL, 6 Per MPL), has longer range and generates less heat :ssh:

:shrug: the asymmetry messes with me as well.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Tell me why I should not get the hellslinger. That gaudy rear end paint job it calling me.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
There's something weirdly amusing about about the fact that MWO of all things has created a context wherein the Blackjack, Jagermech, and Hellbringer are actually good, useful choices instead of horrible disappointments.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

There's something weirdly amusing about about the fact that MWO of all things has created a context wherein the Blackjack, Jagermech, and Hellbringer are actually good, useful choices instead of horrible disappointments.

Fukt up but true.

Which 3 Griffins should I get and what should their builds be?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I can't find a build that I can play effectively for the WHM-BW. I've got some abortion of a 2xUAC/5 and some medium lasers, but nothing that really takes advantage of the quirks and works well with my habit of getting in close and brawling. Standing back and sniping doesn't work well for me, so I need something that can fire fast and hard but won't generate an enormous amount of heat.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Also a context where the Awesome is one of the worst assaults, while the Banshee is one of the better ones.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I can't find a build that I can play effectively for the WHM-BW. I've got some abortion of a 2xUAC/5 and some medium lasers, but nothing that really takes advantage of the quirks and works well with my habit of getting in close and brawling. Standing back and sniping doesn't work well for me, so I need something that can fire fast and hard but won't generate an enormous amount of heat.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=385&l=9262ae13cf1a3eb6e46ba857ba345452b4a96670

With elite skills, and the AC/5 cooldown module you poo poo out 20 damage alpha strikes every 1.2 seconds or so and you will never overheat unless you blow through 70% of your ammo without letting up at all. You can brawl with nearly everything at point blank range and either win or effectively cripple the other dude. The hardest part about this build is remembering to torso twist because you have absolutely no down time with your weapons.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

kingcom posted:

Fukt up but true.

If Heroes are on the table, the 3M, 2N, and Sparky.

If not, swap the Sparky for...I guess a 1N. Neither the 1N nor 1S are spectacular.

For builds, I run the biggest Artemis SRM racks I can fit, and a couple of MPL on the 3M and 2N.

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004
reminder to everyone to buy a BLR-1S when the sale goes live because its the best mech in the game

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

kingcom posted:

Fukt up but true.

Run something like this on the -3M

GRF-3M "Roundhouse"

Shockingly tanky despite the XL, incredibly agile, huge shield arms. Run around things with your left side facing them, twist, fire, chase down anything and everything, take on assaults one-on-one and win.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Devorum posted:

If Heroes are on the table, the 3M, 2N, and Sparky.

If not, swap the Sparky for...I guess a 1N. Neither the 1N nor 1S are spectacular.

For builds, I run the biggest Artemis SRM racks I can fit, and a couple of MPL on the 3M and 2N.

Is the Sparky actually that good?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Aesculus posted:

Looks like I bought my CTF-0XP just in time. It gets murdered in a straight up brawl, but heaven help the red team if I can sneak into their back line unnoticed.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So, this game is fun now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

sarmhan posted:

Also a context where the Awesome is one of the worst assaults, while the Banshee is one of the better ones.

The Banshee 3S is the most dangerous Assault `Mech in 3025-era / introductory play.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Posting the undisputable best options for the new champ robots:

Locust: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=106&l=ebec04a7b6cc07756bbae5d31c22d14e5ea20825
Commando: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=138&l=893993cb2926bbdc60ce8ed61daf9e4cd5b003c0
Vindicator: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=207&l=48ab25dfbf5fc03b8b18ce15d1147b8b26fa3566
Awesome: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=15&l=0a32c4af1e53d112e71d46daa7be84215997a8f7
Battlemaster: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=120&l=a9a981a94bb21a812255dbab5713b10d819f155d

You may notice a theme here. And that theme is that if you aint using LPLs and SRMs you aint poo poo.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Banshee 3S is the most dangerous Assault `Mech in 3025-era / introductory play.
True, but the 1E and 3M are two of the worst for a 95 tonner.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Bolow posted:

Is the Sparky actually that good?

It's the 3rd best Griffin chassis, and way ahead of the 1N and 1S.

It also gives a bit of variety when you're eliting them, since it's all energy.

It's probably the best Medium Hero.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

sarmhan posted:

True, but the 1E and 3M are two of the worst for a 95 tonner.

Also true, but the Banshee is a contemporary of the Mackie. It's one of the oldest `Mechs in the Inner Sphere and even the terrible variants are still better than the "y'know what'd be a great idea for a 90 ton `Mech? Slapping only 10 tons of armor on it!" Cyclops.

The Stormcrow has 9.5 tons of armor. So yeah, the Cyclops is armored like a medium.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Reminder to newbirds: never buy a Vindicator. The robot is fat, slow, underarmed, underarmored, has horribly-mounted hard points and not enough of them. It has pretty significant quirks and none of them matter much because it is just so horrible

The only semi viable way to play it is as a dual-PPC poptart, maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I really like the Commando build. I feel like this is a better Awesome build however

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=46&l=f48f8bf6cfd8ed2ebe3ada0355d0f2035389da97

• Locked thread