Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
For all the uproar over Croberts axing Star Marine, remember that they had BIG SERIOUS MEETINGS about what to do recently and this was the best solution they could come up with. This is their rehearsed, best-idea-we-have story.

The next few months will be magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Shouldn't there be one of those Hilter subtitle videos for this by now? I assume an AI creates them.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I bet Roberts has this on the top of his most played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnGLbHWDnFA

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
http://www.justagamemode.com/

Gorf, my apologies.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

CrazyTolradi posted:

Are they upvoting my comment? What the crap.

Bwahaha, they completely misconstrued what you said.

Honestly, to see shitizens actually react like this is incredible. Chris really hosed up by blatantly insulting his backers, to the point where they actually noticed it.

Is this shitshow finally approaching its climax? I'm so excited!!!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

quote:

Absolutely incredible. Awesome work.
Hey thanks, man. I'm sure there wasn't anything new in there for you but hopefully some of the newer thread visitors learned something...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 2, 2016

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

my catte is bein slovenly so here is a photo of the fellow while i wait with bated breath for more SC debacle

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
That's a pro-tier catte

Did he just get something done at the vet? I see his front leg has a little shaved spot

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Ravane posted:

Honestly, to see shitizens actually react like this is incredible. Chris really hosed up by blatantly insulting his backers, to the point where they actually noticed it.

I really want to be excited. But the cynical bastard in me can't help but think it will all die down the moment they announce something new and shiny. Which after this I'm expecting any day now.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

That's a pro-tier catte

Did he just get something done at the vet? I see his front leg has a little shaved spot

yah the little guy had a bad case of Catte Flu, which is going around at the RSPCA we frequent. so he had a few tests n shots n things and sulked for a good three days straight but hes back to his rascally self now

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

alf_pogs posted:

yah the little guy had a bad case of Catte Flu, which is going around at the RSPCA we frequent. so he had a few tests n shots n things and sulked for a good three days straight but hes back to his rascally self now

awesome. My last cat used get a cold about twice a year. Once he managed to sneeze on my leg while facing away from me. It was amazing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ravane posted:

Can you imagine being Money (or whomever the poor schmuck who had to edit that video was) when Crobers said the "It annoys me" line? knowing that you better not say anything about it OR ELSE. Sure, this here looks like a mighty fine video to release boss. You did great!

Ahahaha.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
One thing I really didn't realize but is just dawning on me now, is how little the actual community does not give a flying gently caress about Sq42.! Croberts has hinged his entire game plan on it , he has spent most of the money on it, he has now centralized the entire future of CIG on it. He has effectively gathered all his resources and put the entire lot on red .....
But no one wants it and he has no economic revenue model in place for it to generate any actual income ......
They do not yet have a playable mission, the 90's style FMV is in a dire state; internally no one is even speculating about releasing anything this year . He in the UK most of the time micro managing everything which means production on what they were doing will grind to a halt ... there is no good ending to this at all. All those talented developers will end up back in the mix with this stain on their CV. They will end up being 'consultants' on the inevitable docu dramas and comedy drama films that come out about it. 'The man who sold the Verse' a HBO production

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Hey, no need to apologize, DigitalMocking. My biggest fear in grinding out a few hours writing it was that nobody would read it.

Although in seeing how it looks without the symmetry of TIMG tags, I regret not setting a universal width for the images!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EightAce posted:

. 'The man who sold the Verse' a HBO production

Steve Carell in... "The big Dork"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Checking in on the thread. :stare:

:gary: PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
hey beer did they ever get back to you about the real reason for your ban? or unban you? i'd love to watch you fan the flames on the official forum.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Happy Sisyphus posted:

new game 'parps n ladders'

good excuse to repost this

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoOf6r5vyZU
Tim and Eric couldn't have done a better job of timing the extremely slow getting into a chair animation segueing instantaneously into a T-pose glitch outside the ship's exterior after sitting down scene

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

G0RF posted:

Hey, no need to apologize, DigitalMocking. My biggest fear in grinding out a few hours writing it was that nobody would read it.

Although in seeing how it looks without the symmetry of TIMG tags, I regret not setting a universal width for the images!

Tell me how and I'll edit the html

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Eonwe posted:

Star Citizen: Thread Done.

good excuse to repost this

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI2gonYSx8c

Just noticed how utterly poo poo the new freelancer is. How is it that after spending a fortune, the updated version somehow looks worse in every way?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

G0RF posted:

Hey thanks, man. I'm sure there wasn't anything new in there for you but hopefully some of the newer thread visitors learned something...

It was an excellent post and a tremendous tool for explaining just what the hell was and wasn't said.

Given CIG's tendency to avoid centralizing information posts like yours are invaluable in piecing together exactly what is going on. Thank you very much for the time and effort.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

G0RF posted:

(As an aside, it's worth noting how this eerily parallels his wife's recent act of historical revisionism.

GORF out!

And yet she isn't wearing a wedding ring...

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So is it just the comedy videos peter is putting out, or does the game seriously lean your view over all the time like you're drunk, and the characters can't stop twitching like crack addicts?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

DigitalMocking posted:

Tell me how and I'll edit the html
It might cock up things but if you set them all to a display width of 700 pixels or so it might be a little cleaner page. It's a minor quibble-- I've relied on SA's TIMG tag to basically keep the miniature and enlarged images the same width. It's really no big deal tho- it's the dates, data and hyperlinks that tell the story of Chris's dishonest revisionism.

The sad part is that Star Marine is only one chapter in an entire tome of that sort of shiite!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

skaboomizzy posted:

awesome. My last cat used get a cold about twice a year. Once he managed to sneeze on my leg while facing away from me. It was amazing.

He does the drillcat thing when he sneezes, doesn't he? Mine does that. Just a 360 of sneeze.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Hey pgabz, what's the hardware in your PC? I'm going PC shopping in a couple weeks and if your rig can run the absurdity of StarCitizen I'm sure it'll do what I want.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

skaboomizzy posted:

Hey pgabz, what's the hardware in your PC? I'm going PC shopping in a couple weeks and if your rig can run the absurdity of StarCitizen I'm sure it'll do what I want.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Is a really nice tool for taking an initial pass at what you're looking for and to sort out pricing.

Sorry for butting in and likely presuming that you're not on top of it.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sappo569 posted:

So is it just the comedy videos peter is putting out, or does the game seriously lean your view over all the time like you're drunk, and the characters can't stop twitching like crack addicts?

Yes

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.
What I find interesting that no backers have discussed is that now they've been told SM (though clearly not what was promised in any way) will be in after launch essentially. 2 weeks ago, private servers - after launch. Its clear they're slowly preparing their backers for the fact that they're walking back promises. It's only going too get worse from here.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Dusty Lens posted:

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Is a really nice tool for taking an initial pass at what you're looking for and to sort out pricing.

Sorry for butting in and likely presuming that you're not on top of it.

Seriously, I welcome all useful input. I'm too stupid/clumsy to build my own and I know jack poo poo about hardware. I'm currently on a Vista PC from Dell that I bought in 2009 for like $250.

Edit: Holy poo poo, this is exactly the kind of website I've been looking for. Thank you.

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 27, 2016

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

skaboomizzy posted:

Seriously, I welcome all useful input. I'm too stupid/clumsy to build my own and I know jack poo poo about hardware. I'm currently on a Vista PC from Dell that I bought in 2009 for like $250.

pcpartpicker.com will help you when logical increments gets biased.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42vu7r/revenge_is_sweet/

I'm a fresh little fish floating in my Aurora MR, just floating along and checking out the sights as all new Star Citizens do. Look starboard, that's a drat big ship...a Freelancer the targeting system says. Wait....they've locked weapons...gently caress. Ok, some people in this game are apparently assholes. Flight two in shiny new MR, head to Cryo 42...poo poo...another Freelancer...oh gently caress, its the same asshat...he did it again. So that's how we're playing tonight? Fine by me.
QT back to Cryo 42...there he is, shooting at someone in a Mustang Alpha...probably another newb. Karma time. Stash my MR on the other side of the landing pads, EVA to the support beams above the pads and commence waiting. Freelancer downs the Alpha, another Aurora MR, and a Cutlass Black. Waiting pays off, the Freelancer is pretty damaged and lands for repairs. Quietly drop down on the aft side of the ship and sneak in through the cargo bay. Enter the cockpit...there's the cocksucker that's been ruining some evenings.
Hmm, I can't shoot him...no weapon. I can't explosively depressurize the cockpit, or break his neck...what should I do? Let's just sit in this empty navigators station and think about options. Hmm...he's QT-ing to Kareiah(spelling?)...uh-oh, he knows I'm here. Crap, he has a pistol too.
Jump up and run to the back, laser blasts splashing into the paneling around me...only going to have one shot at this. Sprint all the way through the cargo hold and slap the ramp button. Without stopping to make sure its opening, I sprint back past the surprised Freelancer pilot and through his ship to the pilots seat. A quick combo on the keyboard...self-destruct initiated. Enjoy your float home shithead. Wait a few seconds....18 seconds to get out. Since its obviously not an emergency situation, let me stand slowly and deliberately...oh, hello Freelancer pilot. See ya...sprint through the ship and jump out the open cargo ramp into the dark embrace of the heavens. Spin around in time to watch karma blow up in a fellow Star Citizens face.
Interesting, I might enjoy this game far more than I thought I would. Hmm...now how do I get back to Port Olisar?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Closer for all new videos imo

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Lowtax posted:

I had a lot of fun writing this and hope I covered the personality of every SC zealot.

Excellenttttttttttt

high five (we miss)

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

What I find interesting that no backers have discussed is that now they've been told SM (though clearly not what was promised in any way) will be in after launch essentially. 2 weeks ago, private servers - after launch. Its clear they're slowly preparing their backers for the fact that they're walking back promises. It's only going too get worse from here.

This is all the rage with game publishers now a days so they're probably just doing what they any good publisher would have done for them from the start lol. Star Wars: Battlefront launched with (basically) 4 maps, Destiny had a handful of content with paid DLC for what IMO should have been part of the base game. Star Wars: The Old Republic launched with no groupfinder or other basic mmo functionalities that were added in later. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

The PU is a test bed for Star Marine. Once it is complete, the FPS features will be rolled up into it and released...

(This comment comes from the TenTonHammer story on Star Marine.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

Alright gents, this is a bloody long Effort Post that remains, despite considerable time spent, incomplete. But I figured it would be worth putting some of the key Star Marine dates into a single hyperlinked timeline. Forgive me in advance for minor errors. I know most of this isn't news to the Regulars here; my hope is to enlighten the casual visitors, particularly those who are skeptical of our skepticism. I may be overestimating the power of deductive reasoning here.

If so, drat you hopelessly irrational nerds! :argh:

Okay, here we go!

---

PAX AUSTRALIA - November 5th, 2014

Chris Roberts debuts promising footage of the upcoming FPS shooter component of Star Citizen to a rapturous audience. Later in the presentation, he introduces Illfonic, the contractor developing the game.

---

STAR CITIZEN PAX EAST PRESENTATION - March 6th, 2015

Chris Roberts shows improvements made in the last quarter to the FPS component. He explains that the FPS will release in "3 weeks time", as soon as they finish transition animations and finish modeling trickier elements like Zero-G combat. He then states that CIG's goal is to have "the best playable soldiers on the simulated battlefield".

Not long thereafter, he introduces the in-game fiction name of their combat module, "Star Marine", apparently unaware that the trademark has already been registered by another party for use in video game and film properties.

---

INTERVIEW WITH REDBULL.COM - June 4th, 2015

In an interview with RedBull.com, Chris Roberts says of his FPS ambitions that "Star Citizen has to be as good or better than anything out there." He later speaks of his plans to add a procedural system for destructible environments, to improve upon Battlefield 4's scripted events.

---

POLYGON, OTHERS REPORTS "STAR MARINE" MAY BE DELAYED INDEFINITELY- June 30th, 2015

Seizing on either ill-chosen or confessional disclosures in the latest "Letter from the Chairman", Polygon reports:

These rumors generate consider alarm in the fanbase.

---

BEN LESNICK POSTS "SOME THOUGHTS ON CONCERNS!" IN THE RSI FORUMS - July 2015

Seeking to dispel the alarm of backers, and to take shots at those promulgating them, Ben Lesnick writes a lengthy missive at RSI. It opens with an update on the status of Star Marine:

---

GUIDE TO STAR MARINE - July 2015

This is a well-made, fan-generated overview of the game from July of 2015. Note that there is no speculation here; the fan has simply condensed material (video, lore, weapons, interfaces and gameplay info) that had been previously disseminated by CIG since they debuted FPS gameplay at PAX Australia in November of 2014.

Introduction
Game Modes & Maps
Customization
The Armory
Advanced Mastery
Access

The Firestorm: Microwave Cannon (Don't mind this; it never existed!)

---

DEREK SMART PUBLISHES "INTERSTELLAR CITIZENS"- July 6th, 2015

Game Developer Derek Smart offers his first lengthy critique of Star Citizen. It is notable for a variety of reasons, including the fact that he writes over 4000 words (not kidding) of preamble before finally addressing his concerns with Star Citizen and commenting on the rumored setbacks with Star Marine.

In response to the chaos caused by his first strike, the over decade long love/hate cycle between Derek Smart and Goons sees the first flowers of Spring bloom.

---

GAMESCOM 2015 - August 7th, 2015

One month after that fan video was released, Chris Roberts shows a live, multiplayer playthrough of illfonic's "Star Marine". In an attempt to rebut rumors that Star Marine had been cancelled, Chris Roberts states:

Later in the presentation, Chris Roberts states that Star Marine v1: The Battle for Gold Horizon will be available at the end of September 2015.

This was the last build of Illfonic's now-scrapped game that they showed at a Citizen event. Janky though the player animations were, it appeared to have more weapons (including grenades and an electric shotgun) that have since vanished.

(It is mildly interesting to note that CIG has left their low-res Gamescom presentation on Youtube as their master-- but they deleted their Twitch master. A note on the Youtube account promises, "In cased you missed it LIVE on Twitch, here's the entire, uncut, raw Gamescom Presentation. May take a little longer for the 1080p version to process with YouTube, but we wanted to get this to you as soon as we could. Thanks to everyone for making this possible!")

---

CITIZENCON - October 10, 2015

Curiously, there was a much-derided hype teaser for Star Marine right before CitizenCon 2015. The chilly reception of fans (and open mockery of critics) prompted CIG to table discussion of "Star Marine" at the show.

---

STAR MARINE STATUS UPDATE - October 17th, 2015

After weeks of openly frustrated progress reports by Jason Hutchins, the last entry in CIG's ongoing series of Star Marine updates appears on the RSI site. It is here that an early conflation of "Star Marine" with the PTU Alpha begins, though it's worth noting that even at this date, "Star Marine" was still being referred to as a module akin to "Arena Commander".

---

10 FOR THE PRODUCERS - November 23, 2015

"Just stick to the script, Jason"

In an interview with Jason Hutchins (don't forget the name), he describes Star Marine as "a test bed for new features, new game types, new mission objectives and maps" and later, a means to roll out "new enemy AI behavior for certain monsters or other NPCS out there". The point, he notes, is to allow upcoming FPS gameplay additions to be tested in the module before they are added into the game proper (the PTU).

Jake Ross adds, "And Star Marine is also used like 'Arena Commander' is used, like a simulation to practice your dogfighting skills. This is a simulator to practice your first person shooter skills."

---

10 FOR THE CHAIRMAN - January 25, 2016

Aside from discussion by Jason Hutchins in 10 FOR THE PRODUCERS, and despite ample opportunities available during both CIG's Anniversary and Holiday Livestreams, little attention was paid to "Star Marine" in the months of November and December.

Chris Roberts finally addresses the elephant in the room during his first "10 for the Chairman" interview of the year.

In the span of only a few minutes, Chris Roberts introduces a revisionist fiction that completely contradicts literally hundreds of public statements made by him and other members of CIG and Illfonic over the course of the last year. There will be no Star Marine module, and there need not be one, as the features formerly promised are now available in the PTU. Deal with it.

(As an aside, it's worth noting how this eerily parallels his wife's recent act of historical revisionism. After going to pains to deny that she was the wife of the founder of the world's most successful crowdfunding campaign, after demanding employees do the same, she acknowledges a once unspeakable fact and declares it as widely known. That the two most powerful figures in the organization both easily engage in public acts of brazen dishonesty should, for a fair-minded individual, be cause for alarm. Yet for many believers, hope springs eternal, even in the face of outright lies.)

---

DEREK SMART REPORTS THAT CIG PRODUCER JASON HUTCHINS HAS RESIGNED - January 26th.

If Jason Hutchins has truly left CIG, I don't take any joy in it. He seems like one of the good guys and had a thankless role. Frankly, it seems like most all the roles are thankless when all successes are claimed the work of the Roberts, and all failures declared someone else's fault.

---

This is the end of my incomplete timeline. Sorry for the wall of words. I hope to redeem myself with this video I've been working on forever. Two weeks.

GORF out!

Fantastic summary, thank you.

• Locked thread