Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

drunkill posted:

April 25th.

snaeksikn posted:

Well Anzac day is coming up in a couple of months..

I recall winning that war. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
AFL 2016: Hopefully the year Eddie fucks off for good.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-27/eddies-radical-fixture-idea-to-give-nab-challenge-winner-a-spot-in-the-finals posted:

COLLINGWOOD boss Eddie McGuire has called for the winner of the NAB Challenge to be awarded a berth in the finals in a radical fixture idea.

The Magpies CEO also wants the AFL to split clubs into a top 12 and bottom six after round 17.

The top 12 teams would battle for finals positions over the final six rounds, while the bottom six will clash for another wildcard spot and the No.1 draft pick.

"What you end up getting is that every game will mean something," McGuire said on Triple M on Wednesday.

McGuire added nobody cared about the current NAB Challenge format, arguing they are just "glorified practice matches".

"The start of the season doesn't have much zing," McGuire said. "It is just hit and giggle. You just want to get through without injuries."

Offering the top draft pick as an incentive to the bottom six sides would also prevent any threat of tanking in the final rounds, he added.

"Good teams will still win the flag, more teams will make the finals," he said.

"By round 12 the bottom five or six teams are usually cooked, anyway."

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Shut the gently caress up Eddie.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
He knows Collingwood are no good.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
We already have pseudo conferences in how the fixture is organised, most teams you'll play twice are the ones you finished around the year before.

Having the preseason have any kind of effect on the regular season results wise is really loving dumb.

Having a point where you switch from the season to a post-season round robin would be hell for organising. People plan now to travel during the season, having some mid season shift would be the worst, like the brain of the person this came from.

Double down on the conference fixture, don't guarantee two derbies or showdowns, make the bottom 6 go into a lottery for the bottom pick. Done.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

AFL 2016: Hopefully the year Eddie fucks off for good.

If Collingwood fail to make the finals Eddie should have a picture of Sam Newman tattooed to his rear end.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I'd call it bottom four for the pick - making it the bottom 6 last year would have been Melbourne, St Kilda, Essendon, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Carlton, and giving Melbourne another chance to gently caress up yet another first draft pick could be too much to bear.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Memento posted:

I'd call it bottom four for the pick - making it the bottom 6 last year would have been Melbourne, St Kilda, Essendon, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Carlton, and giving Melbourne another chance to gently caress up yet another first draft pick could be too much to bear.

Hey, if it were next year it would be Gold Coasts #1 to gently caress up!

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 27, 2016

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Apparently at the women's combine in Melbourne the training tops given out were Melbourne, Bulldogs, Carlton and Essendon.

Who knows if it means anything.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I thought you were allowed to hang poo poo on Melbourne if you've been a supporter since you were 4.

Having said that, I only support them because I grew up in Daylesford in the early 80s, where the local team was called the Demons. Also, they have the coolest name in the comp.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Guys I am making a really bad photoshop for the OP title.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Guys I am making a really bad photoshop for the OP title.

I paid someone on fiverr for the poo poo one 2 years ago.

The women's vfl academy were at optus oval yesterday with those same tops
e: I think those teams are involved in providing opportunities for training this year.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Memento posted:

I thought you were allowed to hang poo poo on Melbourne if you've been a supporter since you were 4.

Having said that, I only support them because I grew up in Daylesford in the early 80s, where the local team was called the Demons. Also, they have the coolest name in the comp.

For some reason I thought you were another person just taking endless potshots.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Just get the women's essendon team to replace essendon forever.

I think it would be great.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

TG-Chrono posted:

Double down on the conference fixture, don't guarantee two derbies or showdowns, make the bottom 6 go into a lottery for the bottom pick. Done.

I agree with the first part, but imo a lottery of the first 6 picks of the draft would be a horrible ideal. The only real justification that I've heard for it is to stop tanking but it doesn't really even do that. All it does it shift the tanking from the bottom few teams to the team just outside the lottery cutoff point. Plus it would seriously hurt the equalisation part of the draft, which I think is already struggling to properly work.

IMO if the AFL was serious about equalisation they'd bring in a mini-round between the first and second rounds of the draft. So the bottom 4 or 6 teams get picks, 19,20,21,22,23 and 24 and then the 2nd rounds starts as normal. I'd be tempted to make this a lottery but I'm not too fussed either way. I don't think anyone is going to think those picks are particularly worth tanking over. It should be an easy and effective way to help clubs improve their on field performances quicker. For example, the Saint's rebuild was based on a plan to get 50% more picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft over a 3-4 year period. I think most rebuilding clubs would have similar targets. A mini-round would give them the the foundation of the picks required to rebuild from while still probably requiring them to trade out players for additions picks.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Periphery posted:

All it does it shift the tanking from the bottom few teams to the team just outside the lottery cutoff point.
Collingwood just missed making finals didn't they? They finished 11th, there was a serious logjam of teams in the 6-12 bracket that was super competitive.

quote:

Plus it would seriously hurt the equalisation part of the draft, which I think is already struggling to properly work.

You can weight lotteries, 17th, 18th have more chance than 16th-12th have less chance than 11th, 10th.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

TG-Chrono posted:

Collingwood just missed making finals didn't they? They finished 11th, there was a serious logjam of teams in the 6-12 bracket that was super competitive.

You can weight lotteries, 17th, 18th have more chance than 16th-12th have less chance than 11th, 10th.

But why bother if it's weighted? All it would seem to do is maybe reduce the incentive to tank (as if the recent examples of it haven't demonstrated that it's a horrible idea) while seriously compromising the way the draft was designed to promote on field cyclical equality.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Periphery posted:

I agree with the first part, but imo a lottery of the first 6 picks of the draft would be a horrible ideal. The only real justification that I've heard for it is to stop tanking but it doesn't really even do that. All it does it shift the tanking from the bottom few teams to the team just outside the lottery cutoff point. Plus it would seriously hurt the equalisation part of the draft, which I think is already struggling to properly work.

IMO if the AFL was serious about equalisation they'd bring in a mini-round between the first and second rounds of the draft. So the bottom 4 or 6 teams get picks, 19,20,21,22,23 and 24 and then the 2nd rounds starts as normal. I'd be tempted to make this a lottery but I'm not too fussed either way. I don't think anyone is going to think those picks are particularly worth tanking over. It should be an easy and effective way to help clubs improve their on field performances quicker. For example, the Saint's rebuild was based on a plan to get 50% more picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft over a 3-4 year period. I think most rebuilding clubs would have similar targets. A mini-round would give them the the foundation of the picks required to rebuild from while still probably requiring them to trade out players for additions picks.

If the AFL was serious about equalization they would stop letting top clubs pinch all the talent every year.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

hiddenmovement posted:

If the AFL was serious about equalization they would stop letting top clubs pinch all the talent every year.

That'd be a lot harder and more controversial than just adding 4-6 more picks to the draft though.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
McGuire added nobody cared about the current NAB Challenge format, arguing they are just "glorified practice matches".

No Eddie, they are literal practice matches. That's the entire purpose of them. Who cares if nobody cares about them?!

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh Eddie. If we made the NAB challenge matter, then would it just not be a longer season?

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
He has to say stuff like this. His breakfast show is probably back from the summer break and saying something dumb gets some free publicity.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

spamman posted:

He has to say stuff like this. His breakfast show is probably back from the summer break and saying something dumb gets some free publicity.

I guess he is competing against another NRL dog sex act and had to bring the big guns out.

NRL 2016: 2 time dog sex champions.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

AFL 2016: At least our sexual assault victims are human

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Let's face it, NRL always has to top the AFL with scandals.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

So refreshing to see the NRL step up to the plate early in 2016.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Essendon thanks the NRL

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Sounds like they really screwed the pooch

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-JfIduytVs&t=53s

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

snaeksikn posted:

Sounds like they really screwed the pooch

It's a bit of a dog act.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Don't go too hard on him, it's the beast he could do.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
He pissed on the couch too

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Meh, the dickhead here is the oval office that's filming it, Mitch is just blind drunk, he wasn't hurting any one, sure he peed himself, a good chunk of us have while drunk or not. he left once he was asked, he didn't argue or cause a commotion. That girl kissed back so she didn't care too much.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Sounds like he had a real dog day afternoon

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
He seriously misunderstood the hair of the dog cliche

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

AFL 2016: 34 Suspensions but a bitch ain't one

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

TG-Chrono posted:

Meh, the dickhead here is the oval office that's filming it, Mitch is just blind drunk, he wasn't hurting any one, sure he peed himself, a good chunk of us have while drunk or not. he left once he was asked, he didn't argue or cause a commotion. That girl kissed back so she didn't care too much.

It's me, I'm the loser who hasn't gotten blind drunk, forced myself on someone, pretended to gently caress their dog, and then pissed on their couch.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

How do they go about selecting these guys as captains? The AFL at least seems to have captains as people with half a brain, but wasn't the guy who groped a teenage daughter of someone connected to the club and ran around a golf course naked also the captain of his club? Possibly even regaining the captaincy at a later date?(not sure on that bit, maybe he was just really mad and couldn't understand why it had been stripped from him?)

Counterpoint: Ben cousins I guess

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Chrono I apologise if you were just quoting bigfooty or w/e and I verballed you, I'm tired as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Come on you have to loving know me better by now.

• Locked thread