Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

meh, call me up when i can battle the end in ascii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

PBS Newshour posted:

meh, call me up when i can battle the end in ascii

The Sorrow, a river of letters and symbols.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The Pain shoots b's

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
A rl where youre a shaman wandering around the jungle eating plants to get high and instead of d levels its tripping balls levels which creates new threats

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Isaac posted:

A rl where youre a shaman wandering around the jungle eating plants to get high and instead of d levels its tripping balls levels which creates new threats

I think you can do that in unreal world, maybe.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

PBS Newshour posted:

The Pain shoots b's

:allears:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking for a sci fi rougelike, I've put a lot of time in Crawl and I like it.

There is this list from Reddit:

quote:

PRIME (like Nethack but science fiction)

TraumaRL (you're a kind of marine on a space station)

Xenocide (you can build robots and stuff)

Rogue Station (stuck on a space station with limited supplies of air and power)

Rogue Effect (based on Mass Effect 3's multiplayer - fight the geth!)

Prospector (explore space, find resources - the newest version (R189) has broken money so I recommend R185)

Cogmind (play as an upgradable robot - paid version under development but the original 7DRL version is still downloadable for free if you prefer)

Eden Sector (explore space, do missions)

Cyber Quest (Weird. I don't even know. It's science fiction though. Full title is 'MOV [Title] Cyber JMP Quest'...)

Nightfall (flee from the approaching darkness across an alien planet/moon/asteroid)

Beware of Strange Warp Points (based on Space Empires; destroy shipyards in space)

KlingonRL (steal something important from the Federation)

Cosmic Commando (do missions, e.g. chase someone through an asteroid field or infiltrate a base)

The Slimy Lichmummy (a mix of fantasy and cyberpunk - plays uniquely)

Liberation of Yarna (plant bombs to sabotage an enemy location)

Starcraft Rogue Mercenaries (shoot zerg)

Steel Knights (marine-ish character exploring mysterious spacecraft etc)

MetroidRL (3 dimensions of movement feels weird but it's interesting)

Which of these are good and fleshed out? Any cool mechanics people can speak of? I don't really care the setting, hell I'll play as a Klingon stealing something from the Federation if it's a good game. I'm looking for the usual rougelike things, depth and complexity, intelligent combat with lots of options and less of the repetitive grind if possible.

Some more with descriptions here.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Play Caves of Qud or Cogmind.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know Sword of the Stars: The Pit? Full controller support and sitting on my couch with that sounds good

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I haven't played Cogmind, but I do recommend CoQ. I also say that DoomRL counts as sci-fi :colbert:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Someone needs to make ShadowrunRL.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Floodkiller posted:

I haven't played Cogmind, but I do recommend CoQ. I also say that DoomRL counts as sci-fi :colbert:

Cogmind is extremely good (although it is like $30 in early release alpha). It's unlike almost any other game I've ever played. I really dislike item destruction but it works very well in cogmind as an interesting mechanic.

I like the way that brogue looks, but I think that cogmind's aesthetic might beat it, it's absolutely stunning.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Has anyone made a horror-esque roguelike? Like, a Call of Cthulhu, Slender Man, walk through the forest at night only to be stalked and eaten type thing?

It would be interesting if you could convey a feeling of dread from an ascii character. Might need some sound cues and extra effects or something to capture the mood.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Mechanics would be more important than window dressing, honestly. You'd want to make a game where everything is stronger than you and the focus is on developing new tools to run and hide, instead of to destroy your enemies.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Goffer posted:

Has anyone made a horror-esque roguelike?
The Lovecraftian roguelike Infra Arcana does a pretty good job, though it's more about the mechanics than full immersion. I haven't played since the very early versions years ago, but even then it was doing a pretty good job... As one would expect, sanity level is an important factor in the mechanics.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

Anyone know Sword of the Stars: The Pit? Full controller support and sitting on my couch with that sounds good

Please don't buy and play it. It is not a good game. I'm phoneposting but basically the crafting system creates a suituation where you are destined to die and don't know it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

It's rare that I poop on earnest roguelikes, but well, this is one of them.

The crafting system is pure hell, and the expansions did nothing to adjust the loot pool despite adding a ton of very specific gear that dilutes it badly.

Charming graphics, clean feel, awful gameplay.

victrix fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 27, 2016

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Kyzrati posted:

The Lovecraftian roguelike Infra Arcana does a pretty good job, though it's more about the mechanics than full immersion. I haven't played since the very early versions years ago, but even then it was doing a pretty good job... As one would expect, sanity level is an important factor in the mechanics.

Just the eerie music in the background does a lot for it, and it definitely plays like a roguelike with lovecraftian themed monsters. I was thinking more an adventure in a less immediately hostile world, just something off about it, and have the bad thing slowly manifest over time. Like a haunted house, with a poltergeist that was innocent becomes more and more violent. 99% percent of the items and the stats you choose would be worthless, as your ethereal nemesis can't be hurt by them anyway.

drat 7drl for having their contest on at exactly the wrong time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What's a good resource for roguelike creation? I don't plan to make one, I'm just curious what goes into building a game like Nethack or Crawl.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Goffer posted:

Just the eerie music in the background does a lot for it,
Oh right, I forgot it eventually even got some audio support, a must for horror. Even before there was any music IA was good.

e:

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's a good resource for roguelike creation? I don't plan to make one, I'm just curious what goes into building a game like Nethack or Crawl.
DCSS and NetHack are both well-represented in this biweekly dev discussion event I host. And of course Cogmind and a bunch of other roguelikes are there as well.

Kyzrati fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 27, 2016

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Haha poo poo, well I bought The Pit for 4 dollars on G2A. Steam and controller support got me. I also bought Pillars of Eternity for 20, so I guess that's the one I'll be getting into.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sproggiwood, Dungeonmans, and probably some others I don't know of also have controller support :colbert:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Tony Montana posted:

I'm looking for a sci fi rougelike, I've put a lot of time in Crawl and I like it.

There is this list from Reddit:

Which of these are good and fleshed out? Any cool mechanics people can speak of? I don't really care the setting, hell I'll play as a Klingon stealing something from the Federation if it's a good game. I'm looking for the usual rougelike things, depth and complexity, intelligent combat with lots of options and less of the repetitive grind if possible.

Some more with descriptions here.

Definitely consider Caves of Qud, it's not just a good sci-fi roguelike, it's one of the best pure roguelikes I've played.

I haven't played these myself but if you want something couch-controllery you can also look at Cryptark which is on sale this week and Starward Rogue which just came out. I've also been told Duskers is good, but it's still in development and has a unique command-line interface that might not be everyone's cup of tea.

I know you already spent money, but you can keep an eye on these for next time if they sound interesting.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's a library called libtcod made specifically for roguelikes, and it has an impressively straightforward tutorial which I recommend. Takes you from "what the heck do I install in order to work on this kind of thing" right up to wandering through procedurally-generated corridors beating up orcs with a +1 sword. I did the C++ version (so I can't say how well it works with Python) and I know a little C++, but I would think even a complete newbie could've followed along fairly well.

megane fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 27, 2016

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Definitely consider Caves of Qud, it's not just a good sci-fi roguelike, it's one of the best pure roguelikes I've played.

I haven't played these myself but if you want something couch-controllery you can also look at Cryptark which is on sale this week and Starward Rogue which just came out. I've also been told Duskers is good, but it's still in development and has a unique command-line interface that might not be everyone's cup of tea.
Cryptark is the truth. I know visuals and audio aren't usually a big deal for roguelike fans but the game feels great because of those things. Good times shooting and dodging, nice thinking when you put together your build while trying to achieve the bonus credits offered for gimping yourself.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Someone needs to make ShadowrunRL.

This is kind of what I'm making

But don't expect anything because idk what the gently caress I'm doing

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you're interested in the techincal process of 'mature' roguelike development, you can also look at the DCSS source repo, which lets you see the nitty-gritty of what we get up to. Not sure how interesting that'll be, but it might be what you're looking for?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

megane posted:

There's a library called libtcod made specifically for roguelikes, and it has an impressively straightforward tutorial which I recommend. Takes you from "what the heck do I install in order to work on this kind of thing" right up to wandering through procedurally-generated corridors beating up orcs with a +1 sword. I did the C++ version (so I can't say how well it works with Python) and I know a little C++, but I would think even a complete newbie could've followed along fairly well.

this is really cool

I know the basics of coding / etc, but knowing in general how a loop / function works etc is way different than making anything. This might be something I tinker with. I have a roguelike idea but my IT focus hasn't ever been on coding. Maybe I could do a thing!

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Tony Montana posted:

I'm a fanboy, but I highly recommend Cogmind. Even though it's not 100% finished, what it already has is better than most complete commercial games. A very different experience compared to most other roguelikes, and not just due to the sci fi setting. Zero grinding, a large HP pool so you will never have bullshit one-shot deaths, but you're constantly cycling through parts and adopting to what you find on the fly. Also, it does something I wish older games like ADOM and TOME would do: it has a plot (and a very rich one at that), but the plot is 100% optional. If you want to experience the story you can, but the story doesn't bleed over into the gameplay. I'll take that over rescuing the puppy in ADOM approximately 5000 times.

You can literally build a flying robot that moves so fast it can whizz past enemies before they can react, and slap a plasma sword onto yourself so that you can dismember them when you do pass for good measure. It is a good game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

this is really cool

I know the basics of coding / etc, but knowing in general how a loop / function works etc is way different than making anything. This might be something I tinker with. I have a roguelike idea but my IT focus hasn't ever been on coding. Maybe I could do a thing!

assuming I could get the art created by someone, and I ever decide to make the game I'm thinking of, how hard is it really to implement a tileset rather than ASCII?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Please make a AAA roguelike

YOU DIED

BUY 500 DUNGEONPOINTS TO REVIVE? CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE DUNGEON SHOPPE!

PRE-ORDER PROCEDURAL MAP EXPANSION 1500 DUNGEONPOINTS!!!

PURCHASE SPECIALLY MARKED MOUNTAIN DEW CANS TO UNLOCK RANDOM GEAR CODES!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

victrix posted:

YOU DIED

id play it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh also, what kind of license does libtcod have on its use? I can't really seem to find it anywhere

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's open source, I think you just have to credit it. The license is here.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

megane posted:

It's open source, I think you just have to credit it. The license is here.

neat, thank you!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

victrix posted:

YOU DIED

The notion of paying a surcharge for more procedurally generated content makes me laugh. I'm sure someone will try it some day.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Eonwe posted:

assuming I could get the art created by someone, and I ever decide to make the game I'm thinking of, how hard is it really to implement a tileset rather than ASCII?

if your code's designed well it should be relatively simple - you'd just want to make sure that your 'draw everything on the screen' function is totally separate from the rest of your code so that you only have to change one particular bit of code when you want to add something (as opposed to having to find 50 different places you copy-pasted it to)

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Tony Montana posted:

Haha poo poo, well I bought The Pit for 4 dollars on G2A. Steam and controller support got me. I also bought Pillars of Eternity for 20, so I guess that's the one I'll be getting into.

I'm constantly in the minority because I really like The Pit.

However

Chakan posted:

I'm phoneposting but basically the crafting system creates a suituation where you are destined to die and don't know it.

this is also correct. But I'm the guy who likes the crafting system. :shrug: If you bought the Pit you want to grab the expansions through the latest one so 1) you get psychic powers 2) the ammo crafting recipes are unlocked.

Also, play the ranger class.

Also

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Re: Infra Arcana

Goffer posted:

Just the eerie music in the background does a lot for it, and it definitely plays like a roguelike with lovecraftian themed monsters.

Goddamn yes. The sound effect of something slamming into a door is really quite eerie.

Re: Prospector

I like Prospector. It is unfinished but fun for a few hours. A mix of planet exploring and space station hopping to try to find the best place to sell things to.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 27, 2016

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Helical Nightmares posted:

I'm constantly in the minority because I really like The Pit.

It was a huge mess at launch, but between a hojillion patches and several expansions it's a really solid game now, I'd say. Pretty much System Shock 2: The Roguelike. Not bad for a nearly-cancelled game that fell far short of its initial crowdfunding target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dominic White posted:

It was a huge mess at launch, but between a hojillion patches and several expansions it's a really solid game now, I'd say. Pretty much System Shock 2: The Roguelike. Not bad for a nearly-cancelled game that fell far short of its initial crowdfunding target.

Wait what? When I last played Gold+ edition or whatever, all the expacs did was add more horrible item/crafting/class bloat so everything I found was like a 1% chance of being useful and/or usable.

Did something about that change recently?