Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

THC posted:

hangouts is extremely bad

nice linuix task manager u got there. make sure you close all ur apps to free up resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

uninterrupted posted:

every once in a while push notifications would break and devs would swear up and down apns was hosed up. every single time it ended up being some idiot dev on our end who broken something (and/or a tester who didn't understand how test certificates work).
same, except I was the idiot dev for the app I worked on. apns has been solid since long before the hangouts app was a thing

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The Management posted:

also

but apparently google couldn't make it work because

even though it was working fine for every other app or everyone in the world would have noticed. so it sounds like their own bad coding broke notifications and they decided burning all of your battery in the background was the solution

I wonder if they're all using some kind of hideous ios port of gms core/"play services"

i mean that'd explain the anroid-style battery draining being brought to ios devices

gms core always finds a way

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Progressive JPEG posted:

I wonder if they're all using some kind of hideous ios port of gms core/"play services"

i mean that'd explain the anroid-style battery draining being brought to ios devices

gms core always finds a way

actually, that reminds me, didn't google release a way to use gcm on ios devices? has anyone used it, and is it as much of a dumpster fire as it sounds?

Godspeed You! Black Conservative
Dec 30, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
iirc the only time when apns "doesn't work" is when you post content-available payload and your phone is low on battery/on lovely network and iOS decides that it'd waste more power than it's worth to wake up your app. normal push alerts always get shown by iOS though.

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

i wish apple had a per-app settings toggle for VOIP/background audio stuff like they do for location services and push notifications

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

nice linuix task manager u got there. make sure you close all ur apps to free up resources.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
ok because we're all mates in yospos i will ask on monday about the voip designation and report back.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

why would you think an ad company would be good at making apps

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
they're not good at making apps but they are better at gathering data which is why it was a mistake for apple to stop using google's data for the maps app and people died as a result

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
the last time i was in a car with someone using apple maps, it took us 30 miles out of the way past our destination, then turned us around to come back

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

ahmeni posted:

Apple provides a push notification service for applications so you don't have to sit active in the background like some android garbage

Android also provides this.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

anthonypants posted:

ios seems pretty good to me so far imho

yeah cisco ios is pretty good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ios 9.2.1 is v good

in fact its the best mobile operating system in the world

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

you misspelt webos

ufarn
May 30, 2009
apple maps is pretty excellent, but it's ridiculous that i have to dismiss modal prompts when i'm loving out driving with the app open. c'mon apple

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

craisins posted:

the last time i was in a car with someone using apple maps, it took us 30 miles out of the way past our destination, then turned us around to come back

waze has done this poo poo to me before too its annoying as hell

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
ok i checked with the ios hangouts team. it has the voip designation because it's a voip app that does real time calls which i should have mentioned immediately lol. it also sleeps until it gets an apns message though it used to do other things in the background before. so, yeah, i dunno what you were expecting.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

ok i checked with the ios hangouts team. it has the voip designation because it's a voip app that does real time calls which i should have mentioned immediately lol. it also sleeps until it gets an apns message though it used to do other things in the background before. so, yeah, i dunno what you were expecting.

NO DUDE ITS STEALING OUR DATA AND SENDING IT TO THE NSA SO THEY CAN PRESELECT US FOR THE FEMA CAMPS AND ALSO VIDEO RECORDING PERMANENTLY

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

since you take requests can you ask the data guys to get me some dirt on a few names i sent you on a private message

poty fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 25, 2016

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Celexi posted:

NO DUDE ITS STEALING OUR DATA AND SENDING IT TO THE NSA SO THEY CAN PRESELECT US FOR THE FEMA CAMPS AND ALSO VIDEO RECORDING PERMANENTLY

google wont give u a job for these posts m8

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

uck Google

https://github.com/Automattic/wp-calypso/issues/2720

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Stux posted:

google wont give u a job for these posts m8

drat, do you think apple will give you a job? bc if so i can start carbon copying your posts and we go hangout with tim

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Blue Train posted:

waze has done this poo poo to me before too its annoying as hell

gotta get the authentic #brands experience

ufarn
May 30, 2009
i’m not even mad, kind of in awe actually

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

gotta get the authentic #brands experience

where would you like to consume e.coli today?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I knew Alphabet was reorganizing but this is ridiculous

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Linguica posted:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Linguica posted:

jesus

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

very informative graph here from google

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

google has given up the charade completely in their quest for money

http://marketingland.com/once-deemed-evil-google-now-embraces-paid-inclusion-13138

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
tim has given up integrity completely in his quest for money

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

cremnob posted:

google has given up the charade completely in their quest for money

http://marketingland.com/once-deemed-evil-google-now-embraces-paid-inclusion-13138

CPC is in the shitter and they're getting desperate to keep short term revenue up

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
Apple gets to comb through your entire supply chain to check for ethical concerns if you want to interface with their home automation spec
Google makes broken smoke alarms and thermostats that brick themselves and will gladly sell every bit of data acquired from your charred corpse

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

oh yea also this lol

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/31/business/fake-online-locksmiths-may-be-out-to-pick-your-pocket-too.html

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

ahmeni posted:

Apple gets to comb through your entire supply chain to check for ethical concerns if you want to interface with their home automation spec
which is bullshit because it just makes those companies harder to compete against other companies who doesn't have to follow up on those ethical concerns

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

nah cause everyone wants to make poo poo for apple stuff so they'll do it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ahmeni posted:

Google makes broken smoke alarms and thermostats that brick themselves and will gladly sell every bit of data acquired from your charred corpse
sounds like nest is just following android, then

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

DaNzA posted:

which is bullshit because it just makes those companies harder to compete against other companies who doesn't have to follow up on those ethical concerns

oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im the guy who feels bad for companies that cant use child labor

• Locked thread