Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Lowtax posted:

It's hilarious how many people think the "comments" on here are real:

http://www.somethingawful.com/video-game-article/star-marine-setback/

That's pure accolade for the author. I saw one redditor asking about why they couldn't browse to the next page of the comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Polish Avenger posted:

That's pure accolade for the author. I saw one redditor asking about why they couldn't browse to the next page of the comments.

Tell him he has to enable the advanced CIG Flash™ prototype plugin from the RSI website.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Lowtax posted:

they could easily be copy pasted from somewhere else, they're spot on

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lowtax posted:

Low effort, it's just copy and pasted comments off a Scott Manley video or something similar.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/315579/can-the-community-save-money-by-not-downloading-every-patch

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lowtax posted:

if you look on reddit they were making fun of you for turning off comments because of how many negative comments you got

they think those comments are legitimately acceptable and are something their group would write

its perfect

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you could say :perfect:

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

SeldomSeen posted:

I'm cold right now, will trade space ship .jpeg for a nice wool scarf.

Sorry, I only have jpegs of scarves. Here is a terrible photo of the scarf I had on this morning:

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

All that glitters is not gold.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's not about information, it's about how that information is perceived. Sandi believes she's a marketing genius. Chris believes he's a visionary game developer. Ben believes Chris is the savior of PC gaming. You don't achieve that level of self-delusion without creating a pervasive atmosphere that actively pushes out even the possibility of things not being a certain way. Remember, they're sitting in a brand new office playing D&D on a table that's worth more than they make in a month. They're surrounded by fellow nerds who like the same stuff they do. It's pretty easy to take such an insular, closely knit community and push out anything that make damage that perspective.

Star Marine's delayed? Oh it's the natural consequence of game development, and our goal is to make the best drat game ever so it's a good thing that they can rework things as necessary to produce the best possible result. That's what the backers want.

People hate the Cutlass? Well it's early days yet and the Galaxy from Privateer was a freighter and also the best pirate ship because it could carry so much cargo and frankly it doesn't need to be fast because big ships are slow and piracy is all about ambushing people.

The game was due a year ago? Well the backers wanted the scope to be increased (they voted for it!) and we're going to be delivering the equivalent of several AAA quality titles and frankly do you want a lovely game or do you want to wait?

Combine a work environment that promotes constant crunch time with at atmosphere that promotes self-delusion and it's pretty easy for the folks who are working there to lose perspective. Of course it's also entirely possible that they simply don't care and consider the whole thing a paycheck to earn while they make starships and produce videos. If the narrative becomes how Chris hosed up managing the project and constantly forced people to rework assets over and over again then frankly it might end up being good for them from a career standpoint. Asset generation is the one thing Star Citizen is phenomenal at, so if your job is to work on producing more of those top tier assets then that would likely translate to another work environment with a competent executive staff.

Reading about the 38 Studios taught me something about people and how much they're willing to put up with or even look past. I do recall some of the former employees saying that they would still happily work for the guy, despite the disasterous mismanagement and such. People are willing to look past all sort of problems or simply ignore them.. loyalty can be a really weird thing.

And I think in some employees case, the negativity and criticism only makes them bond more tightly as a team rather than open some eyes. Throw in some weird or baseless accusations in the mix and it's easier to dismiss all criticism.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Lowtax posted:

There's a reason your the true alpha goon.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Lowtax posted:

I only just now caught the "KEKEKE" in the one comment. Nice touch. lol

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Lowtax posted:

I will admit it took two comments before I got the joke. People thinking they are real is more a commentary on what people have learned to expect from Citizens, more then anything.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

*constantly posts about those irrelevant goons in a subreddit about the irrelevant Derek Smart*

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6295423/#Comment_6295423

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
GOOOOONNNSSSS!!!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/42y6zv/dereks_buddies_writing_sa_articles_referencing/

This is the "there is progress if you forget everything they said previously" guy. He is the best. If by some miracle SC does come out I will buy a new computer just for CIG vs. Goon fuckery.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

Good reading on the "Reality Distortion Field": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_distortion_field This also applies to Elon Musk.

That said, the key component for this to work is "charisma" and, sadly, Chris rolled a 3. So I have to believe most of the people there, aside from the big 3, know exactly what's up. You can see it in their posture and tone during the broadcasts. If I were working there and was able to completely steer clear of Sandi, I'd probably stick around too just for the paycheck and the experience. They know this ride isn't gonna last, so they're milking it. Besides, think during interviews for your next job: "How do you deal with adversity in the workplace?" "I worked for Chris Roberts on Star Citizen for 3 years." You can't get a more perfect answer than that.

I suspect the threshold for charisma is significantly reduced when it comes to technical/creative fields like game design. Steve Jobs had to convince normal people, and his RDF was suitably powerful to pull that off. Chris only has to convince basement-dwelling autists desperate for something to connect with.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

you could say :perfect:

loving Art. It's internally and externally consistent and stands on it's own.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

*constantly posts about those irrelevant goons in a subreddit about the irrelevant Derek Smart*

Well, it's not like he could play the pre-ordered game for more than 40 minutes.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Eonwe posted:

if you look on reddit they were making fun of you for turning off comments because of how many negative comments you got

ahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Hav posted:

loving Art. It's internally and externally consistent and stands on it's own.

I just noticed all of the comments are timestamped at the exact same time. That's a nice detail.

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

Scruffpuff posted:

If I were working there and was able to completely steer clear of Sandi, I'd probably stick around

Scruffpuff was happily putting the finishing touches on a new .jpeg starship that would sell for $350 at Roberts Space Industries. His cubicle was in a secluded corner where he could work away from the crazed gaze of management. As he was about to click save in Photoshop, he felt something like two icy daggers boring into his back. Scruffpuff willed his body not to turn around, but found himself turning slowly in his aeron chair regardless. There behind him was Sandi, her eyes like the deep black of the 'verse. Those eyes, they seemed to calculate Scruffpuff's exact dollar value to Sandi, and found he fell below a critical threshold. She crooked a skeletal finger at him and hissed "Come, it's time to practice my Acting."

Scruffpuff had just wanted a paycheck. His last thoughts were of his children.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Eonwe posted:

they think those comments are legitimately acceptable and are something their group would write

its perfect

Lowtax posted:

ahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa

To be fair, a handful of those comments are goons paarping around.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Polish Avenger posted:

I just noticed all of the comments are timestamped at the exact same time. That's a nice detail.
Thanks, I actually tried to nail all the nuances of their insanity.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I would like to put together a collection of movie covers/posters made about this.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Hav posted:

Speak for yourself. Are you a filthy northerner or something?

Aye.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/315544/hopeful-star-citizen

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

i hope he gets the job

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

skaboomizzy posted:

For all the uproar over Croberts axing Star Marine, remember that they had BIG SERIOUS MEETINGS about what to do recently and this was the best solution they could come up with. This is their rehearsed, best-idea-we-have story.

The next few months will be magical.

That kind of reminds me of my own job. The bosses' solution to stuff they don't like is to just axe it rather than address it or fix it at all. For instance, they changed the company name over a year ago but have never updated the name change on the invoices, email addresses, or delivery vans, which predictably results in considerable confusion and irritation with customers. So I kept pointing that out in the weekly customer feedback email I send out, and the bosses told me they didn't want to see negative feedback and to stop sending out the customer feedback email. They still have not fixed the invoices, etc. It's actually costing them business, but they just can't be arsed to deal with it. I plan to switch jobs and watch the place tank.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Chris only has to convince basement-dwelling autists desperate for something to connect with.

One can only imagine, years ago, the moment he realized the truth of this.

"Oh, god, as long as I make them feel like at some point they will be able to escape their lovely lives and pretend to live their dream..."

There's a potent metaphor here for corporate culture and the death of the "American dream", I'm just not smart enough to make it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

"Austin studio? What Austin studi - I mean oh yes! Our Austin studio! Certainly apply my friend! I will warn you though, the Austin studio is large and thriving and very full of dedicated workers doing their part for the 'Verse. You may not hear back from them for some time..."

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:rip:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beet Wagon posted:

To be fair, a handful of those comments are goons paarping around.

okay that could very well be, its honestly not easy to tell who is being serious and who is kidding there

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Wonder how awkward today's livestream with Sean Tracy will be

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

fuzzknot posted:

That kind of reminds me of my own job. The bosses' solution to stuff they don't like is to just axe it rather than address it or fix it at all. For instance, they changed the company name over a year ago but have never updated the name change on the invoices, email addresses, or delivery vans, which predictably results in considerable confusion and irritation with customers. So I kept pointing that out in the weekly customer feedback email I send out, and the bosses told me they didn't want to see negative feedback and to stop sending out the customer feedback email. They still have not fixed the invoices, etc. It's actually costing them business, but they just can't be arsed to deal with it. I plan to switch jobs and watch the place tank.

If it makes you feel any better, my company changed their name about two years ago, and instead of using their in-house graphic design team or marketing division they outsourced the whole thing to some guy who does graphic design "in his free time" in Indiana. He hosed everything up, sent back the wrong kinds of files, and our in-house team had to redo everything he did. Then, after spending millions of dollars getting all our new logos printed on literally everything, it turns out he used a logo that miiiiiight be kinda sorta trademarked by somebody else. Oops.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Beet Wagon posted:

I would like to put together a collection of movie covers/posters made about this.

Do a forrest gump one, forrest gump becomes - Gullible chump, tagline : "life is lahk a bawks uh jpegs."

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Eonwe posted:

okay that could very well be, its honestly not easy to tell who is being serious and who is kidding there

Roberts and Poe are one and the same.

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

Beet Wagon posted:

"Austin studio? What Austin studi - I mean oh yes! Our Austin studio! Certainly apply my friend! I will warn you though, the Austin studio is large and thriving and very full of dedicated workers doing their part for the 'Verse. You may not hear back from them for some time..."

Live from Austin studio

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Polish Avenger posted:

Anyone try throwing this line into the brown sea? "You have to buy a forums account and make at least one post to see more than the first page."

Also, Lowtax, you should do more articles. Let it flow, just like you said.

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Star Citizen: I feel depressed when i log in

• Locked thread