Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

"There were a lot of complaints last time that we were playing too fast, so now we're going to be playing on speed 1"

:stonklol:

You monsters, what did you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I remember reading some preview about HOI4 a while back where the guy previewing it seemed to be completely unfamiliar with the series and mentioned the game being really short, since it only spanned something like 12 years instead of the hundreds in most of their other games.

And yeah, if you started the game and cranked the speed up to 5x then it would be really short and you'd miss like 80% of what's going on.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I remember reading some preview about HOI4 a while back where the guy previewing it seemed to be completely unfamiliar with the series and mentioned the game being really short, since it only spanned something like 12 years instead of the hundreds in most of their other games.

And yeah, if you started the game and cranked the speed up to 5x then it would be really short and you'd miss like 80% of what's going on.

nah some people (on the pdx forums I think) were complaining that things were going too fast and they thought it was too hectic. I don't really agree, but so it is.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I dunno, the German guy today was moving very fast through the menus, almost too fast to follow for someone who hasn't played the game.

Also apparently it is possible for a single surrounded unit to hold out against attacks by 5-6 divisions for almost a year.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I dunno if it's the best idea to attack the Soviet Union with 150 divisions in October, the German doctrines all being researched by 1940 might pull him through though. It's also quite hilarious since Jakob's plan was to ally the Soviets :allears:

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 27, 2016

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Lord Tywin posted:

I dunno if it's the best idea to attack the Soviet Union with 150 divisions in October, the German doctrines all being researched by 1940 might pull him through do. It's also quite hilarious since Jakob's plan was to ally the Soviets :allears:

They're just recreating the adminsitrative chaos of the 3rd Reich with great fidelity.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Lord Tywin posted:

It's also quite hilarious since Jakob's plan was to ally the Soviets :allears:

Turns out you can't take that focus unless you're at peace.

e: Oh man, they hit December and German manpower just evaporates :swoon:

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 27, 2016

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

They seem to build up alot of army experience very fast without that much to spend it on. Since doctrines were mentioned as such a no-brainer research option I really think they should have made it so that you unlock doctrines using army experience instead rather than treat them as technologies.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

YF-23 posted:

I don't really remember seeing much talk about it, but do you remember how we were talking in the thread about how CK2's DLC is poo poo what with always expanding it the wrong way? There's a new DLC to be released on February 2nd that is just the opposite of that, Conclave. It went so far under the radar that they only had time to make 3 dev diaries for it:

Conclave Dev Diary #1
Conclave Dev Diary #2 (mostly council mechanics, realm peace)
Conclave Dev Diary #3 (because this one was posted yesterday, a week before release, they are giving a huge infodump on literally every feature so prepare for a long read)

Cool I might play CK2 for the first time in like 2 years.

I'd love it if someone did another learning LP since it sounds like there's going to be a gently caress ton of changes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

Cool I might play CK2 for the first time in like 2 years.

I'd love it if someone did another learning LP since it sounds like there's going to be a gently caress ton of changes.
Its been about that long for me as well and I am scared to launch the game at this point, heh.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Randarkman posted:

They seem to build up alot of army experience very fast without that much to spend it on. Since doctrines were mentioned as such a no-brainer research option I really think they should have made it so that you unlock doctrines using army experience instead rather than treat them as technologies.

I have to agree with this. It also makes a lot more sense within the mechanics that the game offers. You do not advance technology by just having people sit around working away on things, but that is what the technology tab always felt like. However, one of the few things that the game does model is combat, and as such doctrine development should be tied in some form to experience gained (not completely, as to not utterly gently caress over Bolivia or whatever other minor states absolutely).

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Lord Tywin posted:

I dunno if it's the best idea to attack the Soviet Union with 150 divisions in October, the German doctrines all being researched by 1940 might pull him through though. It's also quite hilarious since Jakob's plan was to ally the Soviets :allears:

They seem to be moving pretty steadily on Moscow, though. I have no idea why he didn't just assign enough divisions to make the Swedish invasion a done deal in the first place though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Fuligin posted:

They seem to be moving pretty steadily on Moscow, though. I have no idea why he didn't just assign enough divisions to make the Swedish invasion a done deal in the first place though.

I think he felt he had a rep to live up to. Mouth writing cheques etc etc.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I haven't had the chance to watch today's stream but IIRC the combat experience is used to adjust divisions any time you change things and I think when choosing military leaders and or modifying a design. I've not seen them do much of that in previous streams so that may give the impression that it's just piling up.

I get the sense that they're just trying to show things iff and not play in the most optimal manner.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fuligin posted:

Perhaps a lack of local supply? It didn't look like the British had any problems though.

Another issue seems to be sitting on 500 experience points and not actually making any variants with it. Just bunging it all in reliability would be a start.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Gort posted:

Perhaps a lack of local supply? It didn't look like the British had any problems though.

Another issue seems to be sitting on 500 experience points and not actually making any variants with it. Just bunging it all in reliability would be a start.

The entire variant system seems a little half-hearted to be perfectly honest. Max reliability is one thing (no-brainer, really), but there doesn't seem to be too much benefit from designing a long range variant and a second, heavy armed variant of a fighter for example. Only 5 steps in improvements seems a little off as well. Just feels tacked on.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I think it would probably make more sense if it was actually being used. I could see the Germans having a use for short-ranged heavily-armed fighters for defense and long-ranged fighters for attacking Britain, for example. It's just that both players were so busy with their other plans that they didn't use the variant system at all.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Gort posted:

I think it would probably make more sense if it was actually being used. I could see the Germans having a use for short-ranged heavily-armed fighters for defense and long-ranged fighters for attacking Britain, for example. It's just that both players were so busy with their other plans that they didn't use the variant system at all.

The issue is more with the way the game handles plane allocation. Fiddling around with two different production lines plus making sure that the right fighter type is assigned to the right theater seems to be exactly the kind of mindless micromanagement HoI 4 is supposed to not have.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

AdjectiveNoun posted:

I dunno if you can even say Decadence 'works' now. It was a really poorly thought out mechanic designed to punish you, now it's a slightly less exploitable mechanic designed to punish you.

Decadence is pretty much the only thing that prevents the Abbasid caliph from conquering the entire world in Charlemagne game start.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

India could be better, and it's a bit disappointing that it is so isolated, but it certainly doesn't deserve the dislike it gets. Hopefully when CK3 rolls around it gets a better shake.

The isolation is the key, though. I was really hopeful for RoI because I thought it would spice up the game. Think about Vikings invading Punjab, Buddhist missionaries converting Russia, European monarchs trying to find Prester John, loving with the Silk Road. Instead I got a separate map with feudal lords going deathmatch on each other. Sometimes the Abbasid caliph would take a peek and get curbstomped by Pratihara or some other kingdom bordering the only mountain pass.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Gantolandon posted:

Decadence is pretty much the only thing that prevents the Abbasid caliph from conquering the entire world in Charlemagne game start.

The point is how fun the feature is to play with, not how well it balances the AI.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

YF-23 posted:

I don't really remember seeing much talk about it, but do you remember how we were talking in the thread about how CK2's DLC is poo poo what with always expanding it the wrong way? There's a new DLC to be released on February 2nd that is just the opposite of that, Conclave. It went so far under the radar that they only had time to make 3 dev diaries for it:

Conclave Dev Diary #1
Conclave Dev Diary #2 (mostly council mechanics, realm peace)
Conclave Dev Diary #3 (because this one was posted yesterday, a week before release, they are giving a huge infodump on literally every feature so prepare for a long read)

quote:

You’ll also find old friends such as the Centralization and Viceroyalty laws, along with the new addition of Status of Women (which is harder to pass than Imperial government in many cases!). While the early steps of the Status of Women gradually open up job titles for landed women, female dynasty members and nuns, the later stages enable Absolute Cognatic (equal inheritance for men & women) as well as being able to use women as generals in your armies!

Thank you for this precious gift, Paradox.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
:biotruths:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Norse Dutch Republic in India? A-ok

Female advisors? Not historical, please remove.

Paradox forums are a hell of a place.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
God drat, that conclave DLC looks really good.

Also India does interact with the world in my games, the pope calls crusades on them after the Abbasids conquered southern France.

In all seriousness though, I know people dislike expanding the map by tons but I'm kinda hoping China is the final DLC because that would be cool as hell. It would also make India way more relevant.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's kind of an endless march to China, isn't it? Like, India exists because it makes Persia and Central Asia more relevant and makes the simulation better. So naturally to make India more relevant and accurate, you need to have Tibet and China.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

sarmhan posted:

Norse Dutch Republic in India? A-ok

Female advisors? Not historical, please remove.

Paradox forums are a hell of a place.

They're just mad because their "safe space" is being invaded. Safe spaces are for children.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

BillBear posted:

God drat, that conclave DLC looks really good.

Also India does interact with the world in my games, the pope calls crusades on them after the Abbasids conquered southern France.

In all seriousness though, I know people dislike expanding the map by tons but I'm kinda hoping China is the final DLC because that would be cool as hell. It would also make India way more relevant.

DrSunshine posted:

It's kind of an endless march to China, isn't it? Like, India exists because it makes Persia and Central Asia more relevant and makes the simulation better. So naturally to make India more relevant and accurate, you need to have Tibet and China.

So then naturally shouldnt there then be a Japan and/or [abridged?] Oceania DLC to make China more relevant and simulated better?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Dibujante posted:

They're just mad because their "safe space" is being invaded. Safe spaces are for children.

What percentage of these posters have CK2 trait lists that tell you they are Cynical Geniuses?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If I was in charge of the paradox forums for a single day I'd ban everyone who has a Victoria 2 or CK2 "stat list" style sig. I'd also some how cancel the steam keys of the few people who have them BOTH.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

India didn't have a whole lot to do with China tbh. There's a whole lot of mountains and jungle and even more rugged mountains between the two.

It's Mongolia that can't do without China.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Communist Zombie posted:

So then naturally shouldnt there then be a Japan and/or [abridged?] Oceania DLC to make China more relevant and simulated better?
After that we'll just need the Americas implemented too to make sure Asian pre-Columbian exploration is covered even handedly.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zedprime posted:

After that we'll just need the Americas implemented too to make sure Asian pre-Columbian exploration is covered even handedly.

Ahh, finally, then the tremendously important settlement of Greenland and Iceland can be simulated.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

zedprime posted:

Chinese trade with the Aboriginal people of Australia needs to be modelled too drat it! :argh:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

crossposting from the EU4 thread:

Bort Bortles posted:

I cant wait for Paradox to add a Custom Nation achievement to have all the female stuff used and the subsequent misogynist outcry on their forums.

Wiz posted:

I love this idea.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

YF-23 posted:

The point is how fun the feature is to play with, not how well it balances the AI.

I don't even know what's the problem with decadence now? The only thing you have to do is to not land more than one or two other branches of your dynasty, as insurance in case your main line dies out (which is unlikely with 4 wives). Your family won't expand if done right, since women never inherit, and so decadence is easily manageable. I can't wrap my head around people that have a compulsive need to land their dynasty members. Replacing all rulers with members of your family is fun the first time you do it, but at some point it gets boring. If you keep your family small, then decadence is a very minor annoyance.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The right answer is to just ignore decadence and hoard cash to beat the decadence revolt. What's the point of ruling if you can't enjoy it?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you had watched The Physician, then you'd know that the Mullahs exist only to be stepped on like the ants they are.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Torrannor posted:

I don't even know what's the problem with decadence now? The only thing you have to do is to not land more than one or two other branches of your dynasty, as insurance in case your main line dies out (which is unlikely with 4 wives). Your family won't expand if done right, since women never inherit, and so decadence is easily manageable. I can't wrap my head around people that have a compulsive need to land their dynasty members. Replacing all rulers with members of your family is fun the first time you do it, but at some point it gets boring. If you keep your family small, then decadence is a very minor annoyance.

Yeah but that is not a fun system to play with, again. "Don't do X and you'll be fine" is not a good or engaging system.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hate to say it since I really loved CK2 but I haven't even played more than 10 hours in total since Rajas came out. Horse Lords did a lot of good stuff but IMO it's still suffering from Old Paradox Disease where they don't have an end goal for the game in sight so it begins to suffer from all the addon features like a cancer patient. EU4 seems like its starting to go that way too but it's not bad right now.

Guess what I'm saying is, why does Paradox seem to work on one feature and then abandon it forever, like they seem to have more or less done with all the Muslim stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Larry Parrish posted:

Guess what I'm saying is, why does Paradox seem to work on one feature and then abandon it forever, like they seem to have more or less done with all the Muslim stuff.

Yeah because we haven't added/changed Muslims stuff in every expansion since SoI :rolleyes:
Pretty much every thing that we have ever released has gotten a rework or an addition at some point by some other expansion and I can give you several examples.
Muslims in several expansions but the one people primarily remember is Sons of Abraham.
Focuses is getting new stuff in Conclave.
Pagans got improved and new stuff in Charlemagne and in Horse Lords.
e: I would also argue Republics through Charlemagne since it gives you a way to play a republic that is not one of the pre-made one. Though republics got the Silk Road in Horse Lords as well.

But no you are right, we abandon the features forever and never touch it again.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 28, 2016