Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lucifer is a supernatural black comedy that airs Mondays at 8 p.m. on FOX. The premise of the show may sound like network tripe--the Devil has decided to retire as keeper of the underworld and leave Hell for Los Angeles--but the pilot was entertaining and the leads are quite charming.

There also appears to be a overarching plot involving the ramifications of the Devil leaving Hell, namely what the residents of Hell might do. But this is basically a show for former viewers of Castle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4bF_quwNtw

Yes, I got autobanned trying to making this thread by using the HOT thread tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I like that the premise seems to be that Lucifer doesn't want to be the bad guy, but is forced into the role by virtue of the universe needing a bad guy.

The pilot was a little rough, but you kinda had to introduce everyone so I give it a pass for now. Also I like that the detective's kid took to Lucifer so quickly. :3:

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
I hated the pilot because it completely ruined an amazingly good comic. Also, comic mazikeen would likely strangle everyone involved with the series just for the changes that they've done to her.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Definitely better than I expected from the terrible reviews. I'm on board for at least a few more.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
"I look forward to eating your heart one day. Peace!"

:smug:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

No matter how much it was changed from the comics, I loved the pilot since it leaked. This is one of those series I was waiting to watch.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Yeah this was decent TV, a decent pilot. I'm interested in it, and I need more TV anyways.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think the actor they choose for Lucifer is just perfect. His smugness is awesome.

Him not hiding that fact he is Lucifer is really nice. Glad they don't have to hide it just to hide it because no one would ever believe someone to be Lucifer.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
As pilots go, this wasn't too shabby. The characters were introduced in about as conspicuous a way as you'd expect for the 1st episode of an ensamble show, but that is hard to avoid, especially on TV.

One thing they will have to handle carefully is the eponymous character. When writers grab a character whose basic function everybody in the audience already kind-of knows (i.e., the Devil is a really bad guy), you can only stray so far from that generally accepted premise before your audience can no longer suspend their disbelief.

The devil doing good stuff is going to be hard to buy unless you explain why he's bothering to do that good stuff. Maybe it's part of a long-term evil plan (longer term than simple revenge against some dude), or maybe time away from Hell is changing him. If the devil is changing into a nicer guy, you have to deal with that change believably. And suggesting that redemption is possible for the devil is going to be a hard sell, even for non-religious folks who don't take ol' Scratch too seriously.

The show was better than I was expecting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lucifer in the comic isn't really a bad guy though

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, I think the point and possibly the only thing they're taking from the comic is that Lucifer is not "evil" and is just more of a universal requirement that kind of gets a bad rap because of who wrote the book that everyone read.

(Lucifer is one of the greatest comics of all time and i can't believe it was turned into this)

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This wasn't great but I enjoyed it. It gave me a Blacklist kinda vibe where I feel I'm only going to end up watching because of a well cast smartass.The fact that he's open about being Lucifer makes it more interesting than the normal "NO ONE CAN NO MY SECRET" thing that is so common with supernatural dramas.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Lucifer in the comic isn't really a bad guy though

Oh. I've never actually heard of the comic. At least this makes the fact that they're not making him super-bad make a little more sense.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I kinda expected that this would depart pretty sharply from the comic, given what it is, and I think I can be okay with that. No point in being bitter that it won't be verbatim, as much as I'd love it.

Rather enjoyed it for what it was overall. Will forever be disappointed that Lux isn't a classy piano bar.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The comic book Lucifer isn't good or evil but instead follows his own morality of gently caress you I'll do what I want. Which is why he hates God so much.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

The comic book Lucifer isn't good or evil but instead follows his own morality of gently caress you I'll do what I want. Which is why he hates God so much.

Whereas this one is close to that, but still sort of cares about some people and things. Kind of. He seems a little more stuck in his ways of the old job, but that's quite fine, leaves him space to grow as a character.

I said it before, having seen the leaked episode, but I like this show's first offering and my friends like it too. Can't wait for next week!

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Seems like this would be a lot better if I just imagine it is in no way related to the comic book (cuz it pretty much isn't).

muscles like this? posted:

The comic book Lucifer isn't good or evil but instead follows his own morality of gently caress you I'll do what I want Dad!!!. Which is why he hates God so much.

Fixed it for ya

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The metaplot of angels trying to talk him to go back to hell may get interesting.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I noticed Alan Sepinwall haaaaaates this one.

(at least partly because basically every Fox show is now supernatural-person-fights-crime!-alongside-a-police-person, apparently)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Len posted:

The metaplot of angels trying to talk him to go back to hell may get interesting.

In the comics, it is less that stuff escapes hell (as far as I remember anyway, it was ages since I read it) but that people got very interested in owning the keys to hell for various reasons.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

evilmiera posted:

In the comics, it is less that stuff escapes hell (as far as I remember anyway, it was ages since I read it) but that people got very interested in owning the keys to hell for various reasons.

There's like .05% similarity between what we've seen of this show and the comic series. I really think they just happen to share the same title and are basically unrelated.

It's not really doing anyone anything but a disservice to speak about the comic and this one like there was any sort of parity between the two.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
In particular, ownership of Hell was solved in Sandman, before Lucifer moved to LA and opened Lux. I guess it's a decent enough metaplot for a TV show though (and far simpler, for sure).

But yeah, as of the pilot the resemblance is very superficial. Names and places, mostly, and the broad idea of Lucifer's character. The actor is compelling in the role, but it's definitely not the Lucifer of the comics.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I have this feeling after watching the pilot that we're in another Constantine situation where the lead actor does a great job in a show that's not very good.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

bio347 posted:

In particular, ownership of Hell was solved in Sandman, before Lucifer moved to LA and opened Lux. I guess it's a decent enough metaplot for a TV show though (and far simpler, for sure).

But yeah, as of the pilot the resemblance is very superficial. Names and places, mostly, and the broad idea of Lucifer's character. The actor is compelling in the role, but it's definitely not the Lucifer of the comics.

Which I do not mind at the moment. He was interesting in the comics but I was always more of a Sandman fan .

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Even ignoring comparisons to the comic, that was not great.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I really liked it, but man I can't understand that detective's kid at all.

What did she do to get in trouble? I was watching with a friend and we both caught the snapchat thing, but her part was just "SsSsSSssSSssSsSSSsSSSSsSs SSS sSS SSS sSS".

Still, dug the show.

Haven't read the comic though, so that might be why I don't hate it as much as some people.

I had to laugh at last week's Supernatural when Sam asked Lucifer what he'd do after all this was over, and he just shrugs and goes "I dunno, move to Los Angeles and solve crimes?" :devil:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I really liked it, but man I can't understand that detective's kid at all.

What did she do to get in trouble? I was watching with a friend and we both caught the snapchat thing, but her part was just "SsSsSSssSSssSsSSSsSSSSsSs SSS sSS SSS sSS".

Still, dug the show.

Haven't read the comic though, so that might be why I don't hate it as much as some people.

I had to laugh at last week's Supernatural when Sam asked Lucifer what he'd do after all this was over, and he just shrugs and goes "I dunno, move to Los Angeles and solve crimes?" :devil:

The other girl created a fake snapchat to mock her so she kicked her in the taco.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

This is basically a cross between Forever and Rush, two of my favorite shows so this is pretty much my jam (Tom Ellis with his real accent doesn't hurt either)

I had no idea this was more comic book crap, ugh. I should just assume every new show on TV is based on a comic now

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Crusty Nutsack posted:

This is basically a cross between Forever and Rush, two of my favorite shows so this is pretty much my jam (Tom Ellis with his real accent doesn't hurt either)

I had no idea this was more comic book crap, ugh. I should just assume every new show on TV is based on a comic now

Its technically based on a comic, but really bares no similarities at all to the comic.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:
You comic book people are the worst. This show is entertaining and Hell of a lot of fun.

Did you guys whine and complain when Dresden Files was made into a TV show and the result was nothing like the books at all? :v:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Caryna posted:

You comic book people are the worst. This show is entertaining and Hell of a lot of fun.

Did you guys whine and complain when Dresden Files was made into a TV show and the result was nothing like the books at all? :v:

I think they mostly complained because it was a bad show, hence it getting cancelled like instantly. Good lead though. Oh hey, you could say the same about Lucifer.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
OH GOD THE SHOW IS IN DANGER!

ONE MILLION MOMS HAS ORGANIZED A BOYCOTT OF OLIVE GARDEN FOR BEING A SPONSOR OF THIS DEVIL WORSHIPING SHOW.

OH, HOW THIS WILL AFFECT THE RATINGS. OH GOD.

:devil:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ONE MILLION MOMS HAS ORGANIZED A BOYCOTT OF OLIVE GARDEN FOR BEING A SPONSOR OF THIS DEVIL WORSHIPING SHOW.

probably not much. This pilot felt pretty cookie-cutter to me, tbh.

Like, HE'S THE DEVIL...his power is that he can sorta read minds and people lose their inhibitions. And he solves police cases? what?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Lol, has anything One Million Moms ever been the slightest bit effective

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hangedman1984 posted:

They made the cheerios commercial more popular.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Drifter posted:

Like, HE'S THE DEVIL...his power is that he can sorta read minds and people lose their inhibitions. And he solves police cases? what?

That's why it owns though, its so dumb.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

hangedman1984 posted:

They tanked the Ellen JC Penney campaign but that was more because the campaign also coincided with JCP going to a 'no sales ever, everyday low prices!' strategy that drove down revenue by a huge amount (and caused the CEO to get replaced) than anything they did.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 27, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drifter posted:

It makes sense. See the thing with the Devil is that his main sin was not doing exactly what God said without any hesitation. That only makes him a bad guy if you actually believe that God is the #1 best thinker who always gets everything right. That isn't exactly realistic nor assumed for a lot of the modern day audience.

In other words, the guy can still help people and not have it be against his character as long as he's not a total goody two-shoes (which it doesn't look like based on how he dealt with the record producer).

(Also I'm calling it now - there will be a scene where he dresses up like a Catholic Priest and/or hides in a confession booth)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Drifter posted:

This show is formulaic crime solving garbage for idiots except it's already jumped the shark by making the lead the loving devil.

The likes of Supernatural did Lucifer with daddy issues much better and this is going to die on its arse after like 3 seasons of milking a will they/wont they romance with the main female character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Caryna posted:

That's not really a fair comparison.

Dresden files TV show was still about a private detective wizard even if it didn't follow the same plot as the books.

Lucifer the comic is a fantasy epic about free will vs predestination that they turned into a procedural cop drama.

Like others have said though it's so completely detached from the comic that there's really no point in comparing the too.

• Locked thread