Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

What are these?

They are games where you drive a truck. Seriously!

Here's the trucker thread in AI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imhBoE56OEs

Psy890 posted:

This is my truck. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My truck is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
Without me, my truck is useless. Without my truck, I am useless. I must drive my truck true. I must drive faster than my enemy who is trying to beat me. I must take his jobs before he takes my jobs.
I will...
My truck and I know that what counts in truckin’ is not the distance we drive, the noise of our jake brake, nor the exhaust we make. We know that it is the deliveries that count.
We will hit...
My truck is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its engine and its transmission. I will keep my truck clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.
We will...
Before God, I swear this creed. My truck and I are the transporters of my country. We are the masters of logistics. We are the saviors of my life.
So be it, until victory is America's and there is no assignment, but peace!

The aim of these games is to set up and run your own trucking company. You start out working for other companies doing deliveries for little pay until you can afford a truckthe bank offers you a loan to buy a truck of your own. Once you own a truck you can earn more money delivering random crap to various cities.

How is the developer support?

SCS do an awesome job in interacting with their fans, to the point where they have recently started to crowdsource the translations of the game to the community, which has had better results than, say, Minecraft! Also, they have a very informative blog.

StarkRavingMad posted:

If anyone wonders why so many people think the devs behind this game are great, they just bought 20 tons of sand and a trailer so that they can properly record engine sounds with more variety and under stress.

Where can I buy these?

See the individual posts below for each game!

Is there a Steam Group?

Of course!

I want to talk about trucks on IRCDiscord

Click and ye shall receive

World of Trucks??? Does that mean multiplayer?

Not quite yet. WoT right now is a centralized place for Steam and non-Steam users to share screenshots and customize their license plates. You also get a free skin pack for the Steam version just for signing up!

I want to make it look pretty

shortspecialbus's Nvidia inspector setup guide

Testimonials

PadreScout posted:

There I am, driving a big concrete ...something down the autobahn from Stutgard to En..something. I'm listening to my french talk radio having a pleasant drive. It starts raining; so I, reasonably, turn on my wiper and lights. Well, fast forward 5 or 10 minutes and I'm coming up on my turn, the little truck computer thing bonks me for 400 euro for a headlight infraction. I'm so surprised by this I blow my turn and crash my truck, doing like 9 grand in damage. This subsequently makes me late for my delivery getting me dinked 1,000 euro for late delivery penalty. Basically having my headlights on in the rain wound up costing me loving 10 grand.

This could be the best game ever.

h_double posted:

Just picked this up via the Steam sale, it's weirdly engaging and relaxing and discovering the motherlode of radio streams just made everything 10x cooler. I was listening to some UK station where the DJ was talking about the station's mobile app, and how isn't technology great and you can listen to their station anywhere now and I'm like who needs a mobile app when you can just listen from INSIDE YOUR TRUCK SIMULATOR.

EvilJoven posted:

Not only is ETS2 a great way to chill out and listen to tunes, its also a somber reminder that once a business starts making enough money it can effectively ignore the law, run roughshod over the populace and pay the meager penalties imposed upon it by spineless governments.

gigawhite posted:

I was hauling a pretty typical load with the basic Renault truck up a fairly steep incline (that loving ferry you take to get out of London) and my truck completely failed, started rolling backwards down the hill and crashed. I am terrified of real trucks now.

Ssthalar posted:

This game is way more entertaining that I would ever have expected a truck game to be.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Welp, this game made me go sign up for my CDL.

strategery posted:

My experience with ETS2...

Got Euro Truck Sim 2 off a Humble Bundle with some other games I actually wanted.
Thought "hey a truck sim, that's hilarious. Why would anyone play that?"
Saw Reviews of American Truck Sim and saw people really loving it.
Figured it couldn't hurt to try Euro Truck Sim and see what all the fuss it about.
See this is silly, why would anyone play this?
I wonder what the DLC is for this.....
Ooh Scandinavia or Going East? Hm Ill do Scandinavia.
Oh there are mods? MODS?!
Oh Mods require going East.
I love mods. Ill guess ill also buy going East.
**5 hours of game time later
Its 2am? I have to work tomorrow! Oh god what have i done?!

I want pretty screenshots!

ETS2

ATS

So if you want a change of pace from your Project Need for iMotorsport Dirt racing game or whatever, get these games!

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

ETS2 Latest Version (as of 2015-04-14):
Steam: 1.23.1.1s
Other: 1.23.1

The nitty-gritty
The game contains 60 cities spread across various 12 countries, including the UK. SCS Software, the developers of the game, have tried their best to do a scale model of the European motorway network and to at least put the iconic buildings into the cities. For a company that is still relatively unknown and focuses more on niche genres (90% of their games are truck games!), the attention to detail is fairly good. Each country will have it's own style of road signs and street lighting similar to their real life counterparts.

Now, this game has risen to popularity thanks to being one of the games to reach Steam through the Steam Greenlight program, as well as the 2013 summer sale where it was 75% off, thus reaching a new audience. In fact, it's most likely how most of the goons on here have heard of it!

Does this game have any mods?

Does it ever! Most of the mods are rather good, including one that replaces the company names with their real world counterparts, and one that blankets the whole map with snow!

Now with Steam Workshop support!

On Windows, all mods go in "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\" (if you copy the string inside the quotes into the windows explorer navigation bar it will bring you right there). Don't know where mods go on Mac.

Where can I buy this?

You can buy it either from their website, Steam (Best Deal is the Deluxe Bundle, includes Scania Truck Driving Simulator, ETS1, ETS2+all DLC [as of May 7th, 2015], Trucks & Trailers, and Bus Driver),
Origin(if that's your bag) or from a "brick and mortar" gaming retailer!

Does this game have any DLC?

YES!

Going East expands the map to the Polish/Belorussian border. This DLC comes with the Gold edition. Scandinavia adds Denmark and southern Sweden and Norway, as well as several new cargoes. These two are the only ones available outside of Steam (all the rest are Steam only).

There are also cheap ($1-$2) skin packs that are on Steam. The devs used the money they got from the Halloween skin pack to do this. There is also the High Power Cargo pack, which adds 3 new truck skins and a bunch of new cargoes to haul.

Tips and Tricks

Okay, I bought the game and have done the tutorial, now what?

Do a few Quick jobs to gain money and experience. As soon as you unlock the first loan, take it and buy your own truck. When you unlock the second loan, take it and upgrade your garage, buy 2 more trucks and hire two drivers. Once the dough REALLY starts pouring in, upgrade again and buy two more trucks and two more drivers. Buy more garages, trucks and drivers. Soon you will have more money than you know what to do with.

I LEVELLED UP YAAAAAAAAY :neckbeard:

Every time you level up (up to level 36), you get a skillpoint. Dump your early skillpoints into Long Distance, ADR, and the first level of High Value, Fragile and Just in Time. then fill them all in. Save Eco Driving for last (especially if you have realistic fuel consumption enabled, as it does fuckall if you do).

OH GOD I AM IN THE UK

You poor soul. Just remember to drive on the left and all the speed limits are in miles per hour and not kilometers per hour. (30mph = 50km/h, 50mph = 80km/h, 60mph = 100km/h)

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZoYUQSU38E

Where is Ausfahrt?

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 14, 2016

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Current version: (as of 2016-04-14)
1.2.1.1s

The nitty-gritty

See above, only set in the US.

Any oddities in our glorious American traffic system is due to this game being made by Czechs!

Also, DUCK

https://fat.gfycat.com/ShockingSingleAmurstarfish.gifv

Does this game have any mods?

Yes.

Dear god, it's full of mods

Where can I buy this?

Steam

Does this game have any DLC?

Just the Steampunk Paintjobs you get if you followed the game on Steam before launch (and bought the game within a week of launch). Nevada and the twothree initial trucks (Kenworth T680, Kenworth W900 and Peterbilt 579) and Nevada show as DLC on the game's library page in the Steam client. Arizona will be free DLC soon, and all future truck releases will be free DLC.

Tips and tricks
you can copy all the *.sii files (except profile.sii) in Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\Profiles\<profile> and paste them into Documents\American Truck Simulator\Profiles\<profile> and all your controls will be mapped to what you had them mapped to in ETS2 (and vice versa)

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 14, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

You didn't call the thread "Eruo and American Truck Simulator: Axles & Allies?" :negative:

(Other than that, fantastic work on the OP)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

No small loads allowed.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Reminding everyone that you can follow the company page on Steam, and if you buy ATS inside its release week, you can get a skin pack for free.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Ground floor / What loving game releases on a Wednesday!?

I'm so loving pumped for this poo poo!!! :dance:

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
yaaaaay

I sure hope they expand to the whole US eventually with ATS.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
What's the steam price gonna be of ATS

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

santanotreal posted:

What's the steam price gonna be of ATS

from their blog:

quote:

Recommended price of the game is going to be $20/€20, though it is to be expected that for alternate currencies, some local market specifics and the need to display a nice round figure may cause slight variations.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Thanks. That's more than a fair price I feel.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

But seriously, where is Ausfahrt?

pwnyXpress posted:

yaaaaay

I sure hope they expand to the whole US eventually with ATS.

It seems like this is something they want to do but to me it sounds like they're kind of still testing the waters with that kind of set-up.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 27, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kibayasu posted:

But seriously, where is Ausfahrt?

Wait for the mod that allows you to stop at convenience stores for chips, jerky, and week-old sandwiches. You'll get enough ausfarts from that.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
The game's masterstroke feature is the built in internet radio. You can't beat the immersion factor of a non-English speaking station while you're ausfahrtin' around. Even better when the station actually gives shout-outs to ETS2 players.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, first time I heard some station give a mention to ETS2 players while I was playing the game I was taken aback.

Also: $20 feels ridiculously low for ATS and I hope they're not screwing themselves over. I'd easily give $30!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Only $20? That's pretty good, only like $50 Canadian!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Pretty excited to make the run from California to Vegas, something I've actually driven a ton of times in my life!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm hoping for a sale when it launches to.. less than $10 per truck please.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why do people think that 20-30 is going to be anything but 30? Or did ET2 cost that, I can't remember?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

IRC channel is #trucksim not #truckism

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Poil posted:

Why do people think that 20-30 is going to be anything but 30? Or did ET2 cost that, I can't remember?
ETS2 launched at $30, but it had a lot more content at launch than ATS will.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Poil posted:

They confirmed $20 on their blog back in January, linked above. http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/01/american-truck-simulator-map-dlc.html

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

They confirmed $20 on their blog back in January, linked above. http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/01/american-truck-simulator-map-dlc.html
Cool, I didn't know that. 20 bucks is cheap, like wrong-side-of-road-fine cheap.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Harmburger posted:

IRC channel is #trucksim not #truckism

hurf, fixt

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Yeah, first time I heard some station give a mention to ETS2 players while I was playing the game I was taken aback.
What happened was that the devs seemingly at random picked a bunch of stations for their list. Hardly anyone ever listened to Hotmix but once it popped up in Eurotruck they got a huge boost in listeners. It's no wonder they are happy with the exposure and are paying respects.

Also, ATS is releasing on my birthday. I think that's a pretty drat cool present I can give myself. :toot:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah if its AUD30 that seems pretty good, if they're going to keep developing it as they have ETS.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005
'Merica

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I should round out my truck sim duology. Only got up to Going East. Also haven't given actual playing a try, mostly due to outside stuffs.

But yeah, I'll restart and go for the intended path... unless the Scandanavian DLC is a must.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Scandinavia is way better than Going East, in my opinion; there's a lot more variety in the environment.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just don't go to Norway. Just like the real deal it's all tollbooths, speedtraps and roundabouts.
At least it's gorgeous when you drive along the west coast.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

gently caress this owns

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

I too eagerly await the truck game that's coming out next week especially since it'll probably break me out of the Diablo 3 rut I've dug myself into. Glad to read it's only going to be $20 as well, because they never seemed to mention that on their Steam news updates. or I missed it, either way.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, remember to follow the ATS site on steam because they'll give you two awful looking steampunk skins for your truck when it launches.

Lodin fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 28, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

The rear end Stooge posted:

Scandinavia is way better than Going East, in my opinion; there's a lot more variety in the environment.

... crap, when's the next sale expected? $19 sounds pretty... steep? Like, I'm due a check Friday but... it ain't for much.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

widespread posted:

... crap, when's the next sale expected? $19 sounds pretty... steep? Like, I'm due a check Friday but... it ain't for much.

ETS tends to have sales fairly often, even outside of the big sales. I think during the winter sale Scandinavia got down to $8 or $9.

edit: According to IsThereAnyDeal.com, it's last sale was for $9 but when it was first released they offered a sale of $5.50.

Nottherealaborn fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 28, 2016

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
They tend to be pretty generous when it comes to sale time though we won't have one of those for a little while as far as I know. Might even be a 10% discount at launch.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I wish Promods would get their loving poo poo together. I can't live without Poland Rebuilding or Rusmap, and both require Promods.

loving fix your loving poo poo, Promods >:|

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Also about an Ice Road DLC/Mod - that would be the most boring loving thing. A big straight road with basically no scenery. If you want something interesting just make the Alaskan Highway or something crazy like that.

Disclaimer: I only watched about one episode of that show and it looked like they were trying to take a super boring and undangerous thing and make it sound exciting and dangerous. A show on truckers dealing with other drivers would be more interesting.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Last thread someone mentioned that your minions' trucks are now affecting their earnings.

Was this confirmed anywhere? I'm interested on what upgrades actually helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Heres the release trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu32OisFgWI