Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

So as I near the end of my second FFXIII run, I'm wondering something.

Which is the hardest FF game? We were talking about game difficulty and stuff the other page and while I know that no FF is really that hard, some have to be more challenging than others for one reason or another.

I would ask which is the easiest but it seems plain to me that VIII is the only choice. Or maybe II.

Then again, game difficulty is the most subjective thing in the world it seems. Ask ten people about how hard a game was and you'll get ten different answers.

Probably FF13, because people can't grind and outlevel / brute force everything until the end. And even then you can still lose (lol Orphan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FF1 isn't very hard once you realize that you can just grind for XP and money outside of dungeons and then run from every encounter on the way to the boss.

I think FF3 is the hardest by far, for the opposite reason. Trying to run from encounters is suicide.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
[quote="Fister Roboto" post=""455536613"]I think FF3 is the hardest by far, for the opposite reason. Trying to run from encounters is suicide.
[/quote]

That and dungeons being very long slogs, sometimes with nasty gimmicks (mini dungeons, splitting enemies, eight floors of looping secret passages AND splitting enemies that you can't run from) and of course none have save points. And enemies will crush your poo poo if you're not careful.

Even without the bullshit the DS version adds, FF3 is probably the hardest game in the series due to a perfect storm of an unbalanced job system, very long dungeons, and a huge variety of annoying gameplay gimmicks that are generally difficult to get around.

Still don't know why I love that game so much. Maybe it's the music.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

Anyone know how to unlock Instrument/Bell/Tome/Kunai skills at the town magicite in Final Fantasy Explorers? I have jobs that can equip all of them, and have forged them, but I don't have any skills available for them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FF3DS caps off a long marathon dungeon, a boss fight, and then another dungeon with a final boss that will kill you in one hit unless you right four other bosses in the dungeon first (the game doesn't actually warn you about this) and even after that the final boss can act multiple times in a row and gently caress you over with RNG. At no point in this process do you get something resembling a save point.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Probably FF13, because people can't grind and outlevel / brute force everything until the end. And even then you can still lose (lol Orphan).
You can't even beat FF13-2 because the dev fanfic can never lose in a canon fight.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I haven't played the NES games but I've felt the rest are somewhat tough but fair for blind challenges. If you head from event/save point to event/save point and do a moderate amount of exploration for treasure, each boss will be a small challenge but beatable if you have some mastery over the game systems. The only time this breaks down are end dungeons where a little grinding might be a necessity but end dungeons that kick your butt a little bit and throw some ridiculous monsters at you are a favorite thing of mine. There are also a handful of fights sprinkled through out the games (memorably Demonwall in its many incarnations) that stand out as especially challenging but even then, a little grinding or clever play can get you through fine.

None stand out to me as especially difficult. If we count spin-offs, FFT was probably the hardest on my first time through.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 28, 2016

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Saoshyant posted:

FF2 may have been the very first SaGa game.

I very recently played through the fan translation of the Super Famicom Romancing SaGa a couple of times and it definitely has the same vibe as FF2. Baffling design decisions, obtuse mechanics, dungeons with little to no pay off, broken formulas, spells that don't appear to do anything, obnoxious encounter rates, all topped off with a constant vibe that you never really know where you're going or what the hell you're going to do when you get there. I'm not sure why I like both of those games, they're pretty awful

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Because you post on Something Awful.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

pretty soft girl posted:

I'm not sure why I like both of those games, they're pretty awful

RS1-SNES has a great soundtrack? :shobon:

Liking FF2 is a sign you might want to voluntarily submit yourself for a psych eval though

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

OKAY, and LR just lost me again. I think it has to do with the... how do I put it... excessive religious babble. Like, before, it was fine. But this loving Inquisitor tasked with figuring out a murder scene is just like "oh these dudes should embrace God and see the purity and all that". And I'm not sure if this free Deathless mask is even helping things. Or ANY of the free DLC consoles had (save for Aerith Garb :smith:)

I have to ask. Does Lightning even realize she's helping a stable time loop? Or is this beyond time loops.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

widespread posted:

OKAY, and LR just lost me again. I think it has to do with the... how do I put it... excessive religious babble. Like, before, it was fine. But this loving Inquisitor tasked with figuring out a murder scene is just like "oh these dudes should embrace God and see the purity and all that". And I'm not sure if this free Deathless mask is even helping things. Or ANY of the free DLC consoles had (save for Aerith Garb :smith:)

I have to ask. Does Lightning even realize she's helping a stable time loop? Or is this beyond time loops.

there is no time loop in lightning returns.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

corn in the bible posted:

there is no time loop in lightning returns.

Oh. Are we still hampering humanity as a whole in the game or are we actually on a right path of sorts?

Better yet, why am I asking. I should just let that death clock run and gently caress around.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lightning is always right.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Saoshyant posted:

FF2 may have been the very first SaGa game.
It pretty much was, both were designed by Akitoshi Kawazu. When FFII ended up being awful, Square took Kawazu off FF and gave him SaGa to mess around with.

Then when Matsuno left during FFXII's development, Kawazu was brought in to replace him as the director. Somehow, I feel he's responsible for poo poo like the Zodiac Spear.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 28, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

LordVorbis posted:

No Fire Emblem for this poor European. Not even a loving release date, it's infuriating.

You get Bravely Default early though!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sunning posted:

If you can't ship in the holidays, you typically skip January and ship in February. January is no man's land for a couple of reasons. Stores tend to get a glut of returns and used game store purchases that month that drive down prices of older games.

Furthermore, most retail chains minimize inventory in January to close out the year since its typically a part of the store's performance metric for the fiscal year. For example, Walmart's fiscal year ends January 31. Gamestop's ends February 1st. Target Ends January 31st. So if you really want to ship a game in January, you usually do it in the last week. In this case, you can usually ship a smaller amount in January and then do a much bigger order when February rolls around.

If this is coming to consoles, I wonder if they'll work with a publishing partner or self-publish.

Huh, didn't think massive game companies would take into account the year end stockholding of retailers :v: I work corporate finance for a large company that handles a lot of retail in the portfolio and fashion stores are charged for their stock Dec. 31, but only the aged stock. Otherwise you have people holding back actual orders that need to be made to hit their year end number and loving up the next season.

I always assumed in US Retail you just steer clear of doing anything in January because November+December spending is HUGE and everyone goes into January entirely broke. For us we don't have a christmas season and our holiday season isn't very long.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I want Fire Emblem, not Bravely default.

(I'm still going to buy Bravely Second though)

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

poo poo, I better wrap up my playthrough before the end of Febuary.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Just to talk about FF Explorers again, I agree with the the other opinion that it's an acceptable MH clone and all the FF-ness is a lot of fun.

Grinding certain abilities is dumb, can be overpowered, but is not necessary. I went into an ifrit fight with all fire abilities and it went fine. I think abilities do base + bonus damage and only the bonus damage is affected by resistances.

The solo monsters companions aren't that bad, just level them up and stock to the ones with healing spells. I like them much more than the felynes.

Lock on seems to work much better than MH, because I don't think you need to break parts. I will gladly make that trade so I don't have to deal with dual sticks on the 3ds.

Job points carry over between jobs, so you never have to grind in a job to level it up. Material grinding is still a thing.

Hearing about the monk and counter spamming I guess every class is broken in some way. I've been using knight and his "deflect" blocking ability makes you invincible. It will even completely block bad breath. He also has a blood sword draining attack that does extra damage out of deflect. With the fact there's a prompt for every enemy attack it's a bit to easy.

7/10, would buy again. Serviceable and nostalgic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

widespread posted:

Your complaints are sort of odd in a game where God is the loving villain. I'm not even spoiling that it's absurdly obvious from the start and half the game is dedicated to Lightning going "Hm, well, God is a poo poo but I DO want to see my sister again."

Like you're getting Internet Atheist here on a game where people frantically embracing religion is unambiguously painted as a bad thing. It ends with Lightning literally killing God while shouting God is dead and that they're freeing humanity from the chains of religion.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i can't believe a JRPG is talking about religion, because the only JRPG's I've played is...

Uh I guess Persona 4 didn't have religious stuff going on

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Huh, didn't think massive game companies would take into account the year end stockholding of retailers :v: I work corporate finance for a large company that handles a lot of retail in the portfolio and fashion stores are charged for their stock Dec. 31, but only the aged stock. Otherwise you have people holding back actual orders that need to be made to hit their year end number and loving up the next season.

I always assumed in US Retail you just steer clear of doing anything in January because November+December spending is HUGE and everyone goes into January entirely broke. For us we don't have a christmas season and our holiday season isn't very long.

It's possible to do good business in January. In North America, Wii Fit did 777K in January 2009. New Super Mario Bros. Wii did 656K in January 2010. Call of Duty: Black Ops did 750K (across all platforms) in January 2011.

For new releases, Lost Planet launched mid-January in North America and sold over 400K. However, retail chains are reluctant to take large orders for January since it could negatively impact their performance metrics for inventory management and cost them a bonus. If you're a game publisher that needs to maximize your game's shipment to hit your fiscal quarter's target, you can do a smaller shipment in late January with a larger follow up in February or just skip January altogether in favor of a larger shipment in February.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

I worship Naoto, does that count

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

i can't believe a JRPG is talking about religion, because the only JRPG's I've played is...

I will fully admit I don't know poo poo about Shinto but I feel like Izanami and Izanagi might be kind of religious and are sort of important.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

You, uh, sort of get patron deities.

Failboattootoot posted:

I will fully admit I don't know poo poo about Shinto but I feel like Izanami and Izanagi might be kind of religious and are sort of important.
The Persona universe is sort of like both the philosophical and religious sides of metaphysics are true in a way that means everyone's id is tied to some sort of deity, demigod, spiritual meme, whatever you may wish to call it. That's why the main characters are such cool guys cause they can change them on a whim to suit their purpose, as if they are being played by some extraphysical presence or player who is manipulating them illogically with all sorts of metaknowledge.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Yeah I know Gods are in P4 but the game doesn't really have anything religious going on, is what i was getting at

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
unless there is some cult in it i've forgotten about, it has been a while since i played

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

people irl worship chie like its a cult

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The lack of any heavy handed religious stuff in the plot mean Persona 3 and 4 are the best implementation of mainstream religion in jRPGs because its about using the combined power of your friendships to channel Lucifer and Odin to solve your problems.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

widespread posted:

Oh. Are we still hampering humanity as a whole in the game or are we actually on a right path of sorts?

Better yet, why am I asking. I should just let that death clock run and gently caress around.

You've played the previous two games, right? Well just know that, Destiny was 2-0 against our heroes but after LR it will be 2=1.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 28, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

zedprime posted:

The lack of any heavy handed religious stuff in the plot mean Persona 3 and 4 are the best implementation of mainstream religion in jRPGs because its about using the combined power of your friendships to channel Lucifer and Odin to solve your problems.

Solving your problems usually meaning killing a god.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair if you can kill a god there are probably relatively few things that can still be a problem to you at that point.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If Catherine has taught me anything money is something that even gods cannot surmount

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Golden Goat posted:

Solving your problems usually meaning killing a god.
That's a weird way to spell psychotherapy.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Doc Morbid posted:

It pretty much was, both were designed by Akitoshi Kawazu. When FFII ended up being awful, Square took Kawazu off FF and gave him SaGa to mess around with.

Then when Matsuno left during FFXII's development, Kawazu was brought in to replace him as the director. Somehow, I feel he's responsible for poo poo like the Zodiac Spear.

That does explain a lot.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

That does explain a lot.

I want Matsuno's Final Fantasy, dammit! Or at least Fortress!

XII fans REALLY got the poo poo end of it. Some cute RTS spinoff and that trainwreck XIII gets two full sequels.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So I'm doing my first playthrough of Lightning Returns, which I like a lot, but I think I might run out of time. I'm near the end of Day 11 and I have yet to beat the final boss of the Wildlands, find the murals and do the rest of the Dead Dunes quest, and find the final fragment of Dajh's soul in the Dead Dunes. I guess I took the things people were saying about it being impossible to run out of time too literally. If I started over I'm sure I could complete it with time to spare though, now that I know what to do.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

So I'm doing my first playthrough of Lightning Returns, which I like a lot, but I think I might run out of time. I'm near the end of Day 11 and I have yet to beat the final boss of the Wildlands, find the murals and do the rest of the Dead Dunes quest, and find the final fragment of Dajh's soul in the Dead Dunes. I guess I took the things people were saying about it being impossible to run out of time too literally. If I started over I'm sure I could complete it with time to spare though, now that I know what to do.

you can abuse the hell out of chronostasis to extend your time, if you want. note that if you do run out of time you can start the cycle over again and keep all your equips and stuff (though it resets your quests). so you can just rush the main questlines on your second cycle and sleep til the final day and the boss will dutifully appear.

unless you were shooting for a really high completion rate (basically, to open up the bonus dungeon) you're not gonna miss out on anything by doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Doc Morbid posted:

It was Hiroshi Minagawa who was brought in to split director duties with Hiroyuki Ito. Akitoshi Kawazu was the producer of the game. According to interviews by FFXII staff, Kawazu was the one who turned the game into a shippable product. The major problems with the game's development, such as miscommunication between teams or feature creep, were a structural issue than the fault of any one individual. Kawazu basically spent the last six months of development getting the teams working together and axing content/features that weren't working out.