Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

power botton posted:

If he's so good how come he doesn't pay the UCB performers.

Learning to be exploited is good training for Hollywood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
That episode made me rewatch Crossballs for the first time in years and I forgot how great Besser, Daly and everyone else were on that show.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

power botton posted:

If he's so good how come he doesn't pay the UCB performers.

This is something I think is interesting when people talk about an improv bubble or whatever... the standup bubble happened because there were a shitload of new clubs that didn't know what they were doing and as a result they needed a shitload of comics to fill them and consequentially people were paying to see a LOT of bad standup. Conversely the only way anyone has ever made any money in improv qua improv is by opening a school and charging people to teach. The theaters are basically just loss leaders for the schools and if improv dies down who cares you're still preforming at 5 dollar shows for free & hoping to make money acting or writing or whatever.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Besser expressly said on the episode where he talked about this that UCB doesn't turn a profit.

Illinois Smith posted:

That episode made me rewatch Crossballs for the first time in years and I forgot how great Besser, Daly and everyone else were on that show.

Oh man, hadn't watched an episode since it aired. Had no idea Daly was even on it. I'm gonna bingewatch this.

e: Yeah this is great. I'd love a 2016 version of this with the exact same cast. But with Daly playing Dimello somehow.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 25, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Eh, it was filmed 12 years ago and even then you can see a bunch of the real guests figuring out that they're on a comedy show halfway through the episode. It's not like they're all super famous now but I think people would be more wary in general of this kind of thing today.

My favorite moment of the rewatch so far is when Besser asks the anti-drug lady to name him one role-model who's never smoked pot and she goes GEORGE BUSH! and you can tell she realizes that was really dumb about half a second later.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 25, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The part where they play the songs that use sampling is one of the all time greatest moments in television comedy history.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So besides, Spont CBB is not automatically downloading. I see both episodes on the Earwolf site but not in my iTunes feed. Is this happening to anyone else? I knew Spont was having issues but not CBB.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Same here and it was uploaded to soundcloud more than an hour late too. But still, big news! Also a Lapgert epi, always love those.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
The new bandleader is perfect in every way. I didn't even know I wanted him to be the bandleader.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

Eh, it was filmed 12 years ago and even then you can see a bunch of the real guests figuring out that they're on a comedy show halfway through the episode. It's not like they're all super famous now but I think people would be more wary in general of this kind of thing today.

Yeah, I guess I assume a version today would have more teeth and save the wacky stuff for the very end if at all. I think if they played it straighter and more focused it could work - as in, try to use the format to just push extremists even farther to expose their true views.

I watched all the episodes yesterday (skipping through some of the goofier parts) and definitely my favorite was in America vs Aliens when Besser realized that the conservative guy on his side was doing all the work for him. He just kept clearly getting happier and happier every time his dude agreed with him and took it even further. He was practically gleeful every time he pointed at the guy and went "Yeah! That!"

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I want Sean + Hayes to get back together again

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I love Gethard and that episode was fun, but it was a bit of an onslaught as it went on with just the two of them.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The previous two episodes were great though.

"Frontal torpedoe's"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I like that they try and fit in a call to the other each week.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
I assumed that "Big Lake" was just a made-up thing like Teen Pope and when they "played a clip" it would be them launching into an improv scene- but then they played actual clips and it turns out Big Lake was a real show. Wow!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

anotherone posted:

I assumed that "Big Lake" was just a made-up thing like Teen Pope and when they "played a clip" it would be them launching into an improv scene- but then they played actual clips and it turns out Big Lake was a real show. Wow!

Yeah, it's a notoriously bland and uninspired sitcom for the talent behind it. Like, why on Earth someone would cast Gethard, an edgy underground comic, in a family-based, studio-audience multicam I'll never know. Let alone why Adam McKay and Will Ferrell would.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I love Gethard and that episode was fun, but it was a bit of an onslaught as it went on with just the two of them.
I loved it, it felt like a really good Scharpling / Wurster call.

Also count me in as someone who thought "wow, they really put a lot of work into this" when they started playing actual clips. :)

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, it's a notoriously bland and uninspired sitcom for the talent behind it. Like, why on Earth someone would cast Gethard, an edgy underground comic, in a family-based, studio-audience multicam I'll never know. Let alone why Adam McKay and Will Ferrell would.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/15/arts/television/15lake.html

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

feedmyleg posted:

Big Lake was one of those shows that was trying to emulate the Tyler Perry sitcom business model: The network would order 10 episodes up front, and if it met certain milestones the network would then order 90 more to immediately hit the threshold to sell the syndication rights. All that talent was essentially investing in/gambling on making exactly that kind of middling show in the hopes that they would get a part of that big backend payday and residual checks for years to come. (I think the only non-Perry production this ever worked for was Charlie Sheen and the Anger Management sitcom.)

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
It seems like Comedy Central has a new show that tries to be a send-up of the traditional sitcom formula every season. Doing a traditional multicam with a live studio audience would almost be more subversive at this point.

anotherone fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 27, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I know it's dumb to care about any of this stuff but I was looking at the soundcloud downloads for Hollywood Handbook and it's actually doing sort of good now? It gets like 25k+ plays per episode which is around the same as I4H + puts it above Who Charted/Sklarbro Country/probably a bunch of the smaller shows

I guess it doesn't mean much without knowing the iTunes numbers but it's kind of nice that people are actually listening to it + they don't have to do poop song commericals anymore

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Apparently they really hurt the feelings of the poop song guy, it was on the bone zone.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

I know it's dumb to care about any of this stuff but I was looking at the soundcloud downloads for Hollywood Handbook and it's actually doing sort of good now? It gets like 25k+ plays per episode which is around the same as I4H + puts it above Who Charted/Sklarbro Country/probably a bunch of the smaller shows

I guess it doesn't mean much without knowing the iTunes numbers but it's kind of nice that people are actually listening to it + they don't have to do poop song commericals anymore
You're right, those don't mean poo poo. Does that number even include downloads or just the people who use the player on the Earwolf site?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Scott mentioned during the year end best-ofs for CBB that HH is now doing fine respect to listener numbers.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

drainpipe posted:

Scott mentioned during the year end best-ofs for CBB that HH is now doing fine respect to listener numbers.

That comment is going to hurt him during the next podcast quarter negotiations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Apparently they really hurt the feelings of the poop song guy, it was on the bone zone.

Matt Farley? He's a national treasure. Poop in to a wormhole is such a great song.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

power botton posted:

That comment is going to hurt him during the next podcast quarter negotiations.
hopefully they get jon stewart to sit in on the negotiations this time.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Illinois Smith posted:

You're right, those don't mean poo poo. Does that number even include downloads or just the people who use the player on the Earwolf site?

They use SoundCloud for podcast hosting. This includes the RSS feeds and the audio files they point to.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

Big Lake was one of those shows that was trying to emulate the Tyler Perry sitcom business model: The network would order 10 episodes up front, and if it met certain milestones the network would then order 90 more to immediately hit the threshold to sell the syndication rights. All that talent was essentially investing in/gambling on making exactly that kind of middling show in the hopes that they would get a part of that big backend payday and residual checks for years to come. (I think the only non-Perry production this ever worked for was Charlie Sheen and the Anger Management sitcom.)

As great as I'm sure the money is, that sounds like loving purgatory.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

cams posted:

hopefully they get jon stewart to sit in on the negotiations this time.

that was a weird get. i wonder how they know aasif mandvi?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I recently heard Hollywood Handbook used as an example of a popular podcast, in much the same way WTF and Serial often get name checked by jealous podcasters, and it definitely wasn't intended to be ironic. I find it funny that as soon as Hayes and Sean finally drummed up a bit of interest in their show, they hosed up the format by splitting up and haven't done a proper episode since. I'm sure that wasn't their intention, just poor timing, but it's definitely unfortunate.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there any workaround to get actual downloads from the howl website or the app? Something that can rip streams or poo poo out an mp3 for me? I want to support this venture but they make it so hard.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I haven't caught up with HH in a while did someone move cities?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Geth is the loving best. Great episode. I really loved the moments of truth peppered in the Big Lake stories.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Is there any workaround to get actual downloads from the howl website or the app? Something that can rip streams or poo poo out an mp3 for me? I want to support this venture but they make it so hard.

Assuming they've not patched it, you can check the page source, search for ".mp3", copy the very long filename into your address bar and start a download. Whether or not you've got a Howl account.

Besson posted:

I haven't caught up with HH in a while did someone move cities?

Hayes is writing on a HBO show called Vice Principles in New York.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Khanstant posted:

If you're nerdy enough, you can get the tokenized mp3 link from the howl page. In chrome, right click->inspect element, it'll be pretty clear. Or just ctrl+f the source for .mp3

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ManoliIsFat posted:

If you're nerdy enough, you can get the tokenized mp3 link from the howl page. In chrome, right click->inspect element, it'll be pretty clear. Or just ctrl+f the source for .mp3

I can find the mp3, but it's ina nest of streaming configuration.

"http://howl.7408.audio-stream.cdn-stagebloc.com/source/4229_20160112_183214_7408_40299.mp3?response-content-disposition=attachment;filename=%22Patriotism%2520and%2520Percentages.mp3"

trying "http://howl.7408.audio-stream.cdn-stagebloc.com/source/4229_20160112_183214_7408_40299.mp3"
or "http://howl.7408.audio-stream.cdn-stagebloc.com/source/Patriotism and Percentages.mp3" even with %20 spacing all lead to some broken XML page?

edit:

quote:

There is no DRM on the episodes behind the paywall right now. If you view source on any episode page at Howl.fm and search for "lg-play-button" you'll see a link to the mp3. You can use that link to download the episode on to your computer and do whatever you want with it from there. I downloaded a few episodes and inspected them for any identifying information (like my Howl.fm username, email, key, etc.) and found nothing.
After that, I decided to poke around some more to see how eps are being protected. The security on Howl.fm appears to be based around a public/private key pair that is generated for each account (the Key-Pair-Id part of each URL is your public key). Howl.fm generates a secure signature with that key and appends it to the URL. When you click the play button on an episode, you're sending a request to the audio file's URL along with that signature. The system checks the secure signature to make sure it was signed by a valid key.
Here's a breakdown of what the URL and signature actually look like:
Base URL:
http://howl.7408.audio-stream.cdn-stagebloc.com/source/5470_20150802_141124_7408_34788.mp3
# This is the actual URL for the file but if you try it without all
# the signature params below you'll see an access denied error.
Query Parameters:
response-content-disposition=attachment
# Specifies that you're getting a binary file in response for visiting the URL.

filename=%22Talkin%2520Tang.mp3%22
# The percent-encoded filename.

Expires=1471820052
# A timestamp for when your signature was generated (in unix/epoch time).

Signature=IcA6YFXfN26p6VHeyn0NgmANjdk1NOqKa~P8YnJte30tTvUlCErs-LGnaaEGlQmD7cQAb0G6BSdbCpLusrZgp1PLpGbI4ibCLlpNtodxOa8HhYhktSumMaH7DwoNCG-VzLyU2-f7Fon1js8OTRD5A~qZKayttJK5WeM_
# Here's the hash(es) generated for the particular file using your key.
# I'm not sure exactly what's being used here -- cryptography is not my
# strong suit. I suspect there're multiple hashes in the signature since it
# would take a 1024 bit hash encoded to base64 to generate a string this
# long and that seems like overkill. Maybe someone smarter than me can
# make sense of this.

Key-Pair-Id=FAKEIDKEYHASHERMAN
# Here's that key we've been talking about.

Found this on reddit from 5 months ago, euither it doesn't work or I'm doing it wrong.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 28, 2016

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Khanstant posted:

This code I posted a while ago looks like it still works. Open the Developer Tools in Chrome or whatever browser and go nuts.

Spraynard Kruger posted:

This download button thing is such a weird sticking point. It's like they're learning now what everyone else who started selling digital music learned over a decade ago.

Paste this in your console and you've got download buttons. Paying members only please!!!

code:
var a='data-stream-url';$('['+a+']').each(function(){var b=$(this),c=b.clone().attr('href',b.attr(a)).removeAttr(a),d='fa-play';c.find('.'+d).toggleClass(d+' fa-download');b.after(c);})

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Khanstant posted:

I can find the mp3, but it's ina nest of streaming configuration.

"http://howl.7408.audio-stream.cdn-stagebloc.com/source/4229_20160112_183214_7408_40299.mp3?response-content-disposition=attachment;filename=%22Patriotism%2520and%2520Percentages.mp3"

trying "http://howl.7408.audio-stream.cdn-stagebloc.com/source/4229_20160112_183214_7408_40299.mp3"
or "http://howl.7408.audio-stream.cdn-stagebloc.com/source/Patriotism and Percentages.mp3" even with %20 spacing all lead to some broken XML page?

edit:

Found this on reddit from 5 months ago, euither it doesn't work or I'm doing it wrong.

Ya, I think if you find your Key-Pair-Id in your cookies and add it as a query param, may work (that url bitches about Missing Key-Pair-Id query parameter or cookie value). That signature hash is generated from your keypair, so giving them the keypair-id tells them how to verify that hash. That Filename= query param is just to give it a nice download name. (Although, if you tried this in a browser, you shoulda already had the cookie. Who knows?!)

But Spraynard Kruger's setup is much nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I love that Besser is so pro-Clinton that he got genuinely defensive when someone mentioned they heard Bill used to cheat at golf.