Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I agree that I am boned: Let's Play Gunpoint

Uncredited Artist, found on the Steam Store via Google Images

What is Gunpoint?

Gunpoint is a 2D Puzzle Platformer with something of a mechanical twist. Released in 2013, this game was developed by Tom Francis of Suspicious Developments, and has generally received positive reviews.

Set in the near future, the plot starts with our protagonist, Freelance Spy Richard Conway having made his newest purchase - the "Bullfrog Hypertrousers" which allows him to make huge leaps through the air - and survive the landing. From there, things rapidly spin out of control as he finds himself embroiled in a murder mystery. Who is the man who shot the victim, and why?

What's the Gimmick?

Well, aside from jumping around and being able to stick to walls and the ceiling, the primary means of completing your missions is by use of the Crosslink tool. You see, at some time in the future, all the electrical systems in buildings were refitted to have a universal electrical system, which means that a wall switch can be changed on the fly from controlling the lights in the room to a locked door on a different floor.

Image provided by Tom Francis via Wikipedia

The use of the Crosslink is very difficult to describe, so I suppose I will have to show you in the game. But the intent behind it is to allow players to manipulate the level in such a manner as they choose, rather than being forced into the 'best' solution.

How will you play this game?

At this time, I plan on presenting two run-throughs, plus bonus content for missed dialogue options and different ways to beat the final room of the final level. The first runthrough I call "The Paragon" path, which will involve minimal violence, minimal property damage, and general stealth. During dialogue, I will seek to be the nice guy as much as possible.

The second run will be "The Renegade". No cares about injuries, damage or anything between Conway and his objectives. And he'll be an rear end in a top hat.

Updates

I actually miss two results in this video. The first is to simply have Gessler Surrender, then leave without hurting him. The other is to rewire his gun so he can't shoot you with it, forcing him to surrender.

Characters

Richard Conway, Freelance Spy. Protagonist. Has a Nice Hat.

Melanie Rooke. Owner and CEO of Rooke Firearms. Boss of Katie Collins and Selina Delgado. Formerly in a relationship with Mark Jackson. Competitor to Fritz Gessler.

Katie Collins. Analyst for Rooke Firearms. In jail for murdering Selina Delgado. Innocent.

Franz Gessler. Potty mouth. Runs Intex. Competitor to Melanie Rooke.

Julian Mayfield. Police Chief of the Actual Police. Investigating internal corruption. Reads what Conway types.

Mark Jackson. Rooke's Ex. Thief. Adulterer. Just wants to walk away.

Stuff
Gunpoint has many different ways to manipulate the environment, and this is where I will show them off. I loosely group them into two sides. "Cause" is anything in the level that can be used to create a difference, and "Effect" is anything in the level that can have its state changed by the mechanics of the level. Not everything shows up right away, so I will slowly add things here as they become relevant.

Cause

The Wall Switch is the second simplest 'cause' in the game. Simple stand in front of it, and activate it to cause everything down-circuit to flip into the opposite state. Guards will flick a switch 3 times if the lights go out before moving into a patrol pattern.

The Camera only requires that you pass into its line of view to activate the circuit. At first, they do nothing, simply recording what passes in front of them, but later on they will be connected to things that will make your life harder. Often found in front of doors, on walls, on the ceiling, inside, outside....

The Motion Sensor is another trigger, except this one only activates when someone - be they a guard or Conway - passes through them. Can be used to set up timed events.

The Sound Sensor is another trigger, one that can be activated remotely. When they detect a loud sound, such as Alarms, gunshots, breaking glass or elevator bells, they trigger.

I would say that Guns don't kill people, but they do. They can be set off remotely, firing the weapon and causing the guard to spend a few seconds resetting it (or killing another guard), or can be set as a Cause, where pulling the trigger does something else.

Effect

The Door can be open or closed by a connecting cause. Just be careful, those things move fast, and getting smacked in the face is quite embarrassing. Shown here in its opened and unopened states, with door switches next to them. Door Switches can only be triggered by guards.

The Lights illuminate the room/floor they are in, and while in the light, the guards have perfect line of sight. In the dark, they need to be much closer to identify you. And remember that their policy is to shoot first, and ask questions later.

It's a door. It opens up under people. Why would people install this in their commercial buildings in the first place?!?!

Often tied to cameras, Alarms, when triggered, alert every guard on the level, and the nearer ones will come to investigate. Expect things to get harder if you botch it.

The Electrical Socket will act as a taser when activated, shocking whoever is standing beside it. It is a 'silent' knockout, so it won't alarm the AI. With a certain piece of equipment, you can build them into Crosslink Chains.

The Vault Door is an automated door that does not have a hand-scanner nearby for the guards to open it. Rather, it has to be activated remotely, and will automatically close after 3 seconds. If someone is standing under it when it closes though....

Other

Windows are transparent, and can be shattered under sufficient force. This means that guards can see you through them - and shoot you! Also, breaking them creates a bit of noise, which will draw in a lot of attention from nearby guards.

Stairs are just that, a quick way to go from one floor to the next. Note that there is no in-between, and and unlike the elevator, you cannot hide in them.

The Elevator is a slower means of going from one floor to another. The elevator car is slow, and must be summoned to your current floor before you can move up or down. The Elevator Switch to summon the car is both a cause and an effect, and the arrival of the elevator generates noise which can attract nearby guards. However, if you are in the elevator, and the doors are open, the guards cannot see you.

Laptops like this contain optional goals and further world building.

These computers tend to be the primary objective(s) in a level. It takes a few seconds to do what you have to in front of them, so make sure you won't get caught by any guards while doing so!

Missed Dialogue
Due to the length of the game's script, the whole thing is made in this separate post.

Fan 'art'
This Grimwit's interpretation of what Conway was doing after the Renegade Gessler Missions:

Grimwit posted:

[picks up phone while counting Gessler money] Hello.

Conway, turn on the news. Gessler knew you were coming. Watch your back.

Watch my bank. Got it.

No, Back. Watch your BACK. Gessler might want you dead.

Want me paid?

He might back-stab you!

I swear I didn't back-stab you!

What?

What money? I mean, I didn't tell anyone! I mean... Come on, it's only $450!

Conway, what are you talking about?

Oh, Christ, I gotta go! [hangs up] [Takes a deep breath.]

Smoooooooth. :smuggo:

berryjon fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This game is rad, but after my first playthrough any time I tried to load the game it would crash :( I'll be watching!

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
Watching this, definitely watching this. I had a lot of fun with this game and really need to continue. OR restart.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I enjoyed this game a lot and, like FTL, am sad that I could never find anything else in the same vein as it. I get very lost every time I try to play the last level.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Yeah, it's still buggy for me, but dag GUN(point!) do I love this game.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh man I love this game, as soon as I read about it I promptly bought and played it from start to finish. It does hacking in a fun way that something like Watch_Dawgs dosen't, like the fun way.
I'm not gonna spoil it, but there are some hilarious hacks you can do later on.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

So, while the next update is processing, I have a question for you all:

Should I take a crack at user-generated levels, or just stick with the main campaign?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you feel like padding it out a bit, you may want to do some workshop stuff given how short the main game is.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Gunpoint: a case study in why The Internet of Things is a bad idea.

Can't watch the videos at work, but will keep an eye on this!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Here is the next update - the Katie Collins Missions! (12:42 in length)

Additionally, I've started prepwork on the various things we can CrossLink. The Following has been added to the OP:

Katie Collins. Analyst for Rooke Firearms. In jail for murdering Selina Delgado. Innocent.

Stuff
Gunpoint has many different ways to manipulate the environment, and this is where I will show them off. I loosely group them into two sides. "Cause" is anything in the level that can be used to create a difference, and "Effect" is anything in the level that can have its state changed by the mechanics of the level. Not everything shows up right away, so I will slowly add things here as they become relevant.

Cause

The Wall Switch is the second simplest 'cause' in the game. Simple stand in front of it, and activate it to cause everything down-circuit to flip into the opposite state. Guards will flick a switch 3 times if the lights go out before moving into a patrol pattern.

The Camera only requires that you pass into its line of view to activate the circuit. At first, they do nothing, simply recording what passes in front of them, but later on they will be connected to things that will make your life harder. Often found in front of doors, on walls, on the ceiling, inside, outside....

The Motion Sensor is another trigger, except this one only activates when someone - be they a guard or Conway - passes through them. Can be used to set up timed events.

Effect

The Door can be open or closed by a connecting cause. Just be careful, those things move fast, and getting smacked in the face is quite embarrassing. Shown here in its opened and unopened states, with door switches next to them. Door Switches can only be triggered by guards.

The Lights illuminate the room/floor they are in, and while in the light, the guards have perfect line of sight. In the dark, they need to be much closer to identify you. And remember that their policy is to shoot first, and ask questions later.

Other

Windows are transparent, but can be shattered under sufficient force. This means that guards can see you through them - and shoot you! Also, breaking them creates a lot of noise, which will draw in a lot of attention from nearby guards.

Stairs are just that, a quick way to go from one floor to the next. Note that there is no in-between, and and unlike the elevator, you cannot hide in them.

The Elevator is a slower means of going from one floor to another. The elevator car is slow, and must be summoned to your current floor before you can move up or down. The Elevator Switch to summon the car is both a cause and an effect, and the arrival of the elevator generates noise which can attract nearby guards. However, if you are in the elevator, and the doors are open, the guards cannot see you.

Laptops like this contain optional goals and further world building.

These computers tend to be the primary objective(s) in a level. It takes a few seconds to do what you have to in front of them, so make sure you won't get caught by any guards while doing so!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I like Richard's snideness. It's not arrogant or condescending, just plain... exasperation?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

There's been a disturbing lack of jumping down the subway station to faceplant on the platform.

This game is really fun. Hacking done right, but I'm not sure how well it would work in 3d.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Poil posted:

There's been a disturbing lack of jumping down the subway station to faceplant on the platform.

Do you mean aiming to hit the subway station? As I get more powerful trousers and higher buildings, I like to end the level by over-jumping, as you'll see in the next couple updates.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yes, I think it's hilarious. :shobon:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I think that some of our employers may not be on the up-and-up...

Franz Gessler. Potty mouth. Runs Intex.

This is a Trap Door. It's a door. It opens up under people. Why would people install this in their commercial buildings in the first place?!?!

Often tied to cameras, Alarms, when triggered, alert every guard on the level, and the nearer ones will come to investigate. Expect things to get harder if you botch it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm a big fan of this game's pre and post-mission briefings, and the opportunity they give for you wrap up story chains like this one.

Keep this up, I'm not great at quick-twitch type puzzle games but I love watching them.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

berryjon posted:

This is a Trap Door. It's a door. It opens up under people. Why would people install this in their commercial buildings in the first place?!?!
Because as the various laptops and conversations (and gadget tutorials, which really should be shown off) have demonstrated, East Point is very much Rooke's city, and Rooke has a unique understanding of - and perhaps more importantly, with - the espionage business.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
I love that the laptops for that chain pretty much amounted to 'Gessler. Stop. Seriously, this is not working.' versus 'You can't tell me what to do! MORE AGENTS!'

So while I have suspicions about Rooke, Gessler is, uh. Too much of a jerk to help on this playthrough.

I think I got stuck on the super-skylight level on my playthrough - partly because I hadn't even noticed that the stairs existed. Oops.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

gadget tutorials, which really should be shown off)

Tutorials will come after the two playthroughs. Don't worry about that. :)

berryjon fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 28, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's such a simple game from many standpoints, but complex in all its little details and the way its parts come together. The fact that it's smartly written doesn't hurt at all.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Today's missions are brought to you by the second most fun character in the game.

Julian Mayfield. Police Chief of the Actual Police. Investigating internal corruption. Reads what Conway types.

The Sound Sensor is another trigger, one that can be activated remotely. When they detect a loud sound, such as Alarms, gunshots, breaking glass or elevator bells, they trigger.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It would be nice if there was more music in this game.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Samovar posted:

It would be nice if there was more music in this game.

Quiet jazz not your style?

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
This game was designed to be fun and went on from there. The sprinkle of humour in the writing (an afterthought, really!) is a nice touch. I know a friend who didn't like using the Crosslink but it's a tool at your disposal that just so happens to let you mess with guards. And there are many ways of messing with guards. :allears:

Tom Francis posted on his blog (has some interesting reads on game design) all throughout the whole development of the game. He even quit his job at PC Gamer to learn how to code and work on games fulltime. It was pretty neat to see the different aspects of the game fall in place. The people responsible for the art and the music sort of fell into place too, they were people who followed the game's progress on his website.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

berryjon posted:

Quiet jazz not your style?

No, the jazz is good. It would be nice if there were more songs, is all.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
How can he be only the -second- most fun?

Also I am looking forward to that missed dialogue.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

... Shall set you free. If only.

Mark Jackson. Rooke's Ex. Thief. Adulterer. Just wants to walk away.

I apologize again for my screw up. And the 'Blog' portion is the full ending. The Gunpoint Website allows you to have your own, customized endplate to the game!

Gullwhacker posted:

How can he be only the -second- most fun?

Also I am looking forward to that missed dialogue.

Because Conway is the most fun, obviously.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Man, Rooke couldn't make it more obvious she's the hitwoman if she tried. Suuuuure, I'll bet locking your husband up for a crime he didn't commit is just so the killer can be found, yep, I'm sure it's not at all because you did it and you need him to be your patsy. :rolleyes:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gunpoint is a great little game. Good to see an LP give it a thorough comb.

I hope you get to use the Gatecrashers more in another run. After spending the game fiddling with switches to get doors to open at the right time, it can be quite a rush to just charge them down. At least when you're not worried about getting someone pasted by a flying door.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

I hope you get to use the Gatecrashers more in another run. After spending the game fiddling with switches to get doors to open at the right time, it can be quite a rush to just charge them down. At least when you're not worried about getting someone pasted by a flying door.

Oh, don't worry. The Gatecrasher will get its moment of glory.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

berryjon posted:

Because Conway is the most fun, obviously.
I look forward to alternate dialogues!

Also, Gunpoint's achievement icons are really great for telling strange sequential stories with the Achievement Showcase on your Steam profile.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Conway's Secret Blog is one of the coolest unique features I've ever seen in a game. It's also a pretty genius way for the author to get some free advertising -- players finish the game, they get their own custom blog pages, they share those blog pages (which, note, have no major spoilers in them), other people find out about the game.

There's various amusing "specialties" you can get too. There's one for being hit by opening doors, for example.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

For some reason, Hammerhead Snark didn't trigger on the Renegade run, but I did get "I Just really Didn't Like Gessler" on screen for you all to enjoy.

That's another five videos, then alternate dialogue transcriptions, then Community Levels.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Captain Bravo posted:

Man, Rooke couldn't make it more obvious she's the hitwoman if she tried. Suuuuure, I'll bet locking your husband up for a crime he didn't commit is just so the killer can be found, yep, I'm sure it's not at all because you did it and you need him to be your patsy. :rolleyes:
Somehow I doubt Rooke was working as a personal killer for Gessler though

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Man, I forgot how bleak this game got.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Renegade Rooke doesn't have many changes in play time, or style. Just leaving more bodies behind, that's all.

The Electrical Socket will act as a taser when activated, shocking whoever is standing beside it. It is a 'silent' knockout, so it won't alarm the AI. With a certain piece of equipment, you can build them into Crosslink Chains.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
Yeah, I'm sure dancing in front of a camera where a guard was brutalized and two more killed outright won't come back to haunt you at all.

Actually, I'm surprised you didn't tackle him on camera and pummel him there.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Gullwhacker posted:

Yeah, I'm sure dancing in front of a camera where a guard was brutalized and two more killed outright won't come back to haunt you at all.

Actually, I'm surprised you didn't tackle him on camera and pummel him there.

You'd be surprised. The only deaths that matter to the plot are Selena's, Gessler's (if you choose to), and the Killer (if you choose to). Everyone else is an expendable Mook.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007

berryjon posted:

You'd be surprised. The only deaths that matter to the plot are Selena's, Gessler's (if you choose to), and the Killer (if you choose to). Everyone else is an expendable Mook.

E...even Katie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The game doesn't even really penalize you at all for deaths like Invisible, Inc. does, right?

(There, you have to pay a "cleanup fee" for killing guys, which is annoying...)

• Locked thread