Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Marching Powder posted:

it absolutely floors me that if chris hadn't opened with 'this really annoys me' than we wouldn't have this glorious shitshow. sm could easily have gone the way of private servers. what a loving idiot.

eightace, come back safe, or angry, or get word to us somehow that you can't talk no more. your potential departure from this thread scares the poo poo out of me, as everything you posted scared the poo poo out of cig
My guess is that in this week's Around The Verse, Ben says some make nice words about the "big misunderstanding". Maybe they'll have Chris on to do the same. However they do it, and whether or not they blame some more poor choices (pseudo-apologizing) or they blame external agitators twisting words (blame-shifting), the takeaway will be "Star Marine is absolutely still coming and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!"

I wouldn't put it past them to fast track dev resources to get one shiny FPS bauble added to the PTU ASAP. Another gun, maybe? Something, anything, to prove the narrative of delays and broken promises made by Chris is not a sign of bad faith on their part.

I may be presuming too much of them, though. Fleet footed response to their own cockups has never been a strength, and they may just look at the daily pledge numbers and say, "You know what? Let them eat shiite."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Romes128 posted:

no obligation to fulfill kickstarter promises
without much of a potential player base to generate revenue from

drat. I see the current house of cards for what it is, but that was my last half hope.

welp

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Pretty much. Or at least they make a strong case for one function that publishers generally have: supervision.

:words:

I think there's a whole lot of confusion about what the publishers supposed wickedness consists of. On the one hand, we have the “no-one makes these games any more” side (exemplified by the CRPG revival with Wasteland, Shadowrun, Pillars), where the criticism is at least somewhat valid, and where EA is the evil empire. The large publishing houses want large profits and thus focus on (bi)yearly mass-appeal franchises — it's gaming fast-food. The niche games don't produce those kinds of profits so the funding and interest needs to be established some other way.

On the other hand, we have the “they ruined the director's vision” argument, which tends to be less sensible, and funnily enough for a very similar reason. Publishers don't want “bad games” — they just want something that can be done and released; if some features are cut to reach that goal then so be it. Sensible designers know to limit themselves so there's no conflict between the two (again, see Brian Fargo and Harebrained Schemes); less sensible ones need the supervision to keep them on track, on budget, and on time, which immediately creates conflict between vision and feasibility.

Then there's also the annoyance-factor of some publishers as they saturate media with annoying ads and PR, but that doesn't seem to come up all that much in these discussions.

I think the main issue is that the crowdfunder-darling narrative tends to focus on appeal of the first argument when the real (personal) annoyance of the developer is really the second: “if I could only be free of constraints, I could give the community the game they always wanted.” Roberts and Schafer have both used this argumentation, whereas both the Wasteland development process and the entire line of Harebrained games have been able to separate the two. These teams have been very clear about why they picked the route they picked: because they know they're appealing to a niche market and can't promise a big payout. The grand vision takes a second seat to actually catering to the niche.

Or course, the core conflict here is that it's difficult to have the kind of supervision and oversight needed to keep the wild idea-men in check without the big boot of being able to pull the funding. At the same time, the developers in question will always be able to transform that into the evil publisher killing ideas narrative, even though this control function is critical to actually get anything out before it's obsolete and pointless. If it's your own money you spend on your ever-developing dream, then by all means, go ahead. If it's someone else's, then it's their money you're wasting. What ultimately damned Schafer was that he forgot this and confused which money was supposed to go to what game; what will ultimately condemn Roberts (once the backers start doing their part) is the same: he's wasting their money, not his, and he's trying to build his game, not theirs.

Best example of publisher intervening would be MGS5. By all accounts Kojima was burning through money, having a lot of game music scrapped and redone etc.

First they released GZ as a way to get some cash in cause they knew the project would take a while. But TPP was released ultimately unfinished (the real planned ending is included with the collectors edition).

As much as I believe a developer should be able to create what they want, ultimately it's a business and Konami did the absolute right thing.

CR is playing with other people's money but has no accountability and no one to tell him to just make a friggin game instead of the other bullshit that's going on. Like do you really need 4 offices, mo-cap studios, 4 Web shows, etc.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Romes128 posted:

Best example of publisher intervening would be MGS5. By all accounts Kojima was burning through money, having a lot of game music scrapped and redone etc.

First they released GZ as a way to get some cash in cause they knew the project would take a while. But TPP was released ultimately unfinished (the real planned ending is included with the collectors edition).

As much as I believe a developer should be able to create what they want, ultimately it's a business and Konami did the absolute right thing.

CR is playing with other people's money but has no accountability and no one to tell him to just make a friggin game instead of the other bullshit that's going on. Like do you really need 4 offices, mo-cap studios, 4 Web shows, etc.

I really enjoy reading game article comments for MGS5 because the idiots that get fuming mad about MGS5 always blame Konami and evil publishers. Like, "if it weren't for Konami ruining everything Kojima would have made the best drat MGS game ever and blah blah blah evil publishers stuff".

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

If it weren't for evil publishers I'd be able to realize an impossible standard born of unattainable nostalgia :argh:

That being said I was hurt by Dead Space 3.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Konami could easily finish Chapter 3 and throw it up as a 10$ DLC and make a profit off the cost to finish it though, if it's a question of money.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Romes128 posted:

Yeah, and in the end, while TPP ended up a bit… stunted, for the lack of a better term, it was still an excellent game. If there ever was a game designer that desperately needed an editor with a big red “NO!”-stamp, it's Kojima. One of its main saving graces was the lack of the regular Kojima:ness (absurd narrative, horrible writing, nonsensical characters) that plagued MGS4. At worst, there's Quiet, which is all of that but still subdued and ultimately saved by being a very fun game mechanic.

Had it been great to have a more complete and coherent second-act story, and some kind of “global disarmament” end-game? Sure. I still don't want to look at how many hours I've sunk into that game because of how good the moment-to-moment gameplay is.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

EightAce here's a protip: Never let your eyes meet Sandi's, use some sort of mirrored surface to keep track of her.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Tippis posted:

Pretty much. Or at least they make a strong case for one function that publishers generally have: supervision.

:words:

what will ultimately condemn Roberts (once the backers start doing their part) is the same: he's wasting their money, not his, and he's trying to build his game, not theirs.

The concept surrounding SC that creative visionaries deserve complete control with 0 financial risk makes me tear my hair out. It's great the fundamental lack of respect Roberts has for his backers finally spilled out of his gawping mouth. From his POV these people are entitled to nothing he personally isn't interested in. And he's right.

Solarin fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 28, 2016

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Yeah, and in the end, while TPP ended up a bit… stunted, for the lack of a better term, it was still an excellent game. If there ever was a game designer that desperately needed an editor with a big red “NO!”-stamp, it's Kojima. One of its main saving graces was the lack of the regular Kojima:ness (absurd narrative, horrible writing, nonsensical characters) that plagued MGS4. At worst, there's Quiet, which is all of that but still subdued and ultimately saved by being a very fun game mechanic.

Had it been great to have a more complete and coherent second-act story, and some kind of “global disarmament” end-game? Sure. I still don't want to look at how many hours I've sunk into that game because of how good the moment-to-moment gameplay is.

MGS4 has about 8 hours of cutscenes

SQ42 has 10! Enjoy assholes. Lol.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6297164/#Comment_6297164

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6297234/#Comment_6297234

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:f5: EightAce, hoping everything is ok. :f5:

sesame_samuel_
Dec 24, 2012

Pork Pro
He has been delayed indefinitely.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Can anyone (Beer, bootcha, etc) tell me the spark that caused the mass goon migration out of the brown sea? Was it DS's expulsion? Bootcha's revelations of mismanagement, someone being fired everyone liked?

I just wondered.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Romes128 posted:

Come to think of it, how many hours did WC3 and 4 have?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I just want to say EightAce, I'm your biggest fan. :five:

Is anyone else uncontrollably cackling at this mess? I can't stop laughing like a bond villain, it's just so incredible.

Thank you Tommy Noble, thank you EightAce, Thank you Uncle Derek, thank you Lowtax, thank you beer and bootcha and pgabz and Eonwe and everyone else for providing literally one of the best threads I've seen on SA.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

sesame_samuel_ posted:

He has been delayed indefinitely.

Nice buns!

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

ZenMaster posted:

Can anyone (Beer, bootcha, etc) tell me the spark that caused the mass goon migration out of the brown sea? Was it DS's expulsion? Bootcha's revelations of mismanagement, someone being fired everyone liked?

I just wondered.

Goon dislike for Star Citizen predates Derek's involvement.

Derek is only liked here because he opened the flood gates for refunds. He gets credit for that. I think he was ran out of GBS like a year ago. And was mocked by Lowtax himself.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Re: SQ42 - Is anyone other than Chris 'Mocap' Roberts genuinely excited by the prospect of some digitised Honor Harrington tripe?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

G0RF posted:

"Let them eat shiite."

And it was good.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Junk Puncher posted:

But let's say, hypothetically, CIG files bankruptcy. And hypothetically there's some sort of injunction and they have to auction assets to repay investors? With E:D et al having some success, I can see a company picking up what they can, either to develop or shelve.
Why would a publisher do that? What is there really to gain by this, when to date, we've seen nothing wonderous, nothing proprietary, nothing special in Star Citizen save for what they promise will come in their "in engine"' video ads?

DICE could build a better FPS with Spaceships in Frostbite from the ground up for half of what Chris has raised. With no liabilities, no promises to entitled whales expecting space planes that carry 100+ passengers and include cocktail serving minigames that would've been boring even in a CD-I title.

Bioware could add spaceship combat to Mass Effect: Andromeda (if they don't already have that planned) in Frostbite and deliver a better experience than Star Citizen as sold. They've got great lore, a built in audience, a world class shooter engine, and marketing people who actually know how market and merchandise.

Buying up the wreckage of this in bankruptcy is buying IOUs to hundreds of thousands of pissed off people, the most invested of which are used to being able to get the VP of Marketing on the phone when they're pissed, used to getting to hang around the offices and jawbone with the developers, used to having mods look the other way when they send phallus photos to female backers.

Yes, there is talent at CIG. It's not at the top, though-- it's in the middle. The main talent those at the top have is a talent for fleecing the gullible and the corporation their funds have helped build. Not exactly like picking up a Carmack in a buyout.

Publishers hate Star Citizen- they absolutely hate it. Because Chris Roberts pounded his chest and called them the enemy of great games, called them peddlers of uninspired unit shifters. He has gotten and continues to get much Gaming Industry love by striking his Punk Rock pose and flipping off the industry. He's called them the enemy of visionary developers, of fidelity and immersion, and worse-- and drawn a cult like devotion from people who buy into his false dichotomies and sky's the limit promises.

If this thing does crater one day, they will have no lifelines for Chris. They will not hover like vultures to pick the meat and marrow off of Star Citizen's corpse. They will leave it decomposing wherever it dropped, pop corks on champagne and watch as their upcoming games hit the market and are bought for $60 by the same folks still holding IOUs for spacepixels and dreams.

So Chris better get this to Minimum Viable Product while the getting is still good and the money still rolls in, because it's more likely he'll get a class action lawsuit than an industry bailout if he crash this thing.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 28, 2016

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
I wrote a long post and then deleted it. Its turning into Custers last stand and I just don't want to get people in trouble . I have already said to much I reckon and if people get in the poo poo because of whats discussed here and the very obvious source then that is nothing but bad.
I can highlight some stuff in bullet points but nothing at Derek Smart level of excitement
- A couple of very public faces have left CIG UK right under everyone's noses. This may be out there already . You will know who if you check ATV and all that bollocks and then see who doesn't appear anymore. Not actual game developers just CS monkeys but significant none the less. The old adage poo poo rolls down hill is never so true when you are involved with CIG ... B4TBG email exchange is still causing fallout ... and all the wrong people are getting blamed
- I know what they are currently concentrating on , it is simply unbelievable . I cant say what it is for obvious reasons but it is up there with the farming module. talk about fiddling while Rome burns .....
- All the jobs being advertised are legit and they are getting really desperate now to fill those positions. However they just cant and Mr Smart's blogs are being cited as the reason. if anyone is interested they are paying above industry standard but you might only have the job for another 12 months at best.
- The whole animation system is simply hosed. You are looking at a team of very competent animators working flat out for a year or two to get anything working properly.
- Sq42 looks absolutely stunning (The space bits) FP stuff looks like a PS1 game and no one seems to give a poo poo. However it is not a game, there is no game play or direction. Nothing just amazing graphics in an editor. The whole thing is in a constant state of flux and a dev cycle that was already floundering is now totally FUBARED because the emperor himself is taking a hand in it personally. Some big news outlets have been in there recently doing all sorts of walk around's and interviews.
- All the hilarity and fallout from 10ftc, Starmarine being cancelled and the reddits etc have caused absolutely no concern whatsoever. Literally no one gives a gently caress. The attitude is , ' Its just noise let them have their fun we know better'. Chris in particular is totally detached from it all

The other stuff I cant talk about at the moment because it will be so obvious where its coming from

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

EightAce posted:

I wrote a long post and then deleted it. Its turning into Custers last stand and I just don't want to get people in trouble . I have already said to much I reckon and if people get in the poo poo because of whats discussed here and the very obvious source then that is nothing but bad.
I can highlight some stuff in bullet points but nothing at Derek Smart level of excitement
- A couple of very public faces have left CIG UK right under everyone's noses. This may be out there already . You will know who if you check ATV and all that bollocks and then see who doesn't appear anymore. Not actual game developers just CS monkeys but significant none the less. The old adage poo poo rolls down hill is never so true when you are involved with CIG ... B4TBG email exchange is still causing fallout ... and all the wrong people are getting blamed
- I know what they are currently concentrating on , it is simply unbelievable . I cant say what it is for obvious reasons but it is up there with the farming module. talk about fiddling while Rome burns .....
- All the jobs being advertised are legit and they are getting really desperate now to fill those positions. However they just cant and Mr Smart's blogs are being cited as the reason. if anyone is interested they are paying above industry standard but you might only have the job for another 12 months at best.
- The whole animation system is simply hosed. You are looking at a team of very competent animators working flat out for a year or two to get anything working properly.
- Sq42 looks absolutely stunning (The space bits) FP stuff looks like a PS1 game and no one seems to give a poo poo. However it is not a game, there is no game play or direction. Nothing just amazing graphics in an editor. The whole thing is in a constant state of flux and a dev cycle that was already floundering is now totally FUBARED because the emperor himself is taking a hand in it personally. Some big news outlets have been in there recently doing all sorts of walk around's and interviews.
- All the hilarity and fallout from 10ftc, Starmarine being cancelled and the reddits etc have caused absolutely no concern whatsoever. Literally no one gives a gently caress. The attitude is , ' Its just noise let them have their fun we know better'. Chris in particular is totally detached from it all

The other stuff I cant talk about at the moment because it will be so obvious where its coming from

:glomp:

Hope everything turns out alright with your job.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
:pusheen: holy poo poo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

EightAce posted:

Hang in there EightAce

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

You've been doing the lord's work. Take it easy, this house of cards is gonna fall one way or another and everything will come out, the only difference is how quickly we know the details.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Good luck dude, sorry I doubted your authenticity a while ago! Hope you don't lose your job but if they let you go then tell us everything and let them burn.

The fact that they don't care about star marine damage control is them digging their own grave. Things are picking up pace!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Romes128 posted:

i_still_trust_CIG: yeah but in MGS cutscenes I can look at boobs and butts and all that but right now I'm stuck in Sausage Citizen. Come on guys I'm not asking for destructible environments with god rays here!

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Hope you've got an exit plan EightAce

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

EightAce posted:

PROCEDURALLY GENERATED BIRDS :hellyeah:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

EightAce posted:

I'd rather you keep short term financial stability and remain employable than you leak stuff we're going to find out about soon enough anyway. It's pretty obvious that you aren't the only irritated one and stuff is going to leak regardless.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

EightAce posted:

- Sq42 looks absolutely stunning (The spaaaaaace bits) FP stuff looks like a PS1 game and no one seems to give a poo poo. However it is not a game, there is no game play or direction. Nothing just amazing graphics in an editor. The whole thing is in a constant state of flux and a dev cycle that was already floundering is now totally FUBARED because the emperor himself is taking a hand in it personally. Some big news outlets have been in there recently doing all sorts of walk around's and interviews.

Can I just say- I appreciate that you're dissatisfied, and if you want to go public that's cool, but if it's putting other people's jobs (or your own) at risk you really should go softly. Nobody needs to fall on their sword to help this thread make fun of Star Citizen.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

EightAce posted:

.. B4TBG email exchange is still causing fallout ... and all the wrong people are getting blamed

God drat this is funny, and also neuseating

Ace you're doing the lords work. Even if it's all made up please keep going

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

EightAce posted:

The old adage poo poo rolls down hill is never so true when you are involved with CIG ... B4TBG email exchange is still causing fallout ... and all the wrong people are getting blamed

Shitizens right after all, Beer singlehandedly holding up customer service

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Thank you EightAce, that should be enough for us for now. Let it happen as it will.

Oh man, I think ignoring this fallout is a bad idea, but we'll see.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

EightAce posted:

quote:

B4TBG email exchange is still causing fallout ... and all the wrong people are getting blamed

:lol: Beautiful.

And BTW, you really don't have to endanger your livelihood, or that of others, just to have fun with us ITT. Like...I love hearing about space farming simulator at this perilous moment, lol, but dude, my first thought was: "drat, that sounds frigging exclusive and specific. Is EightAce really not gonna get made by posting this?"

So yeah, take it easy huh? It's a complete lollercoaster as it is, and it's bound to get even better even without your stellar contributions. :)

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sarsapariller posted:

Can I just say- I appreciate that you're dissatisfied, and if you want to go public that's cool, but if it's putting other people's jobs (or your own) at risk you really should go softly. Nobody needs to fall on their sword to help this thread make fun of Star Citizen.

This ^,

Still love you EightAce. But look out for number one (not Christ Roberts).

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

EightAce you should start to keep a journal or something because this story is going to want to be heard by a lot of people once this thing goes under, maybe you and Derek and Beer and Bootcha and GORF and all the other big player goons should write a little e-book or something like was being discussed earlier. It could be like Half Life 2: Raising the Bar except you know, Star Citizen: The Spooky Ghost Bar: A True Hollywood Story.

Also lol, who could have ever doubted that the only actual S42 development was all on cutscenes and there was no gameplay? Mark my words: If the "game" ever comes to a point where there isn't even an inkling of being able to finish in any capacity, CR will try to edit the cutscenes into a movie and call it good.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

G0RF posted:

Why would a publisher do that? What is there really to gain by this, when to date, we've seen nothing wonderous, nothing proprietary, nothing special in Star Citizen save for what they promise will come in their "in engine"' video ads?

[…]

Yes, there is talent at CIG. It's not at the top, though-- it's in the middle. The main talent those at the top have is a talent for fleecing the gullible and the corporation their funds have helped build. Not exactly like picking up a Carmack in a buyout.

This really bears repeating. There are three reasons to buy a company: to get the tech, to get the staff, or to get the IP.

CIG has no valuable tech, just ideas of tech that they would like to have (but can't seem to deliver). If they go under, yet another year or two will have passed before it's available so what meh-level tech they could conceivably have will be obsolete. That leaves the people as the thing to buy, but there's a problem with that: if the company goes under, there's no need for anyone to buy it to get the people — you can just hire them as normal because all of them just lost their jobs. No need to burden yourself with an entire company when you can just cherry-pick newly freed up talent.

That leaves the IP but Star Citizen does not have an IP to speak of. It's generic “militaristic humans vs. scary aliens”, which is not an idea that needs to be bought. The only thing that remains is the art — the dreaded jpegs and the concept designs, but why bother? You have to rebuild everything from scratch anyway.

quote:

Publishers hate Star Citizen- they absolutely hate it. Because Chris Roberts pounded his chest and called them the enemy of great games, called them peddlers of uninspired unit shifters. He has gotten and continues to get much Gaming Industry love by striking his Punk Rock pose and flipping off the industry. He's called them the enemy of visionary developers, of fidelity and immersion, and worse-- and drawn a cult like devotion from people who buy into his false dichotomies and sky's the limit promises.

If this thing does crater one day, they will have no lifelines for Chris. They will not hover like vultures to pick the meat and marrow off of Star Citizen's corpse. They will leave it decomposing wherever it dropped, pop corks on champagne and watch as their upcoming games hit the market and are bought for $60 by the same folks still holding IOUs for spacepixels and dreams.
That's the evil publisher narrative faceplanting against reality, really. There's some perverse pleasure (or horror, if you're on the other side of the fence) to be derived from the thought that someone — preferably EA — picks up SC out of spite, just to rub Chris' face in it. But as mentioned earlier, the thing about these evil publishers is that what makes them so evil is that they treat the whole thing as a money-making business. In the real world, spite is not good business and makes no money.

So all that will happen is just that: nothing. He'll be out of the industry again and at most, some snide remark will be made by some large-company PR about how crowdfunding might not be all it's cracked up to be… now let's talk about ShooterMan 2017, which will implement the new SuperMegaGraphics™ tech powered by [Graphics Card Company]™.

The hollywood dramatisation will be the only place to experience the far more fun narrative, and if/when it crashes, I'm sure someone somewhere will start hatching ideas on how to make it work…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

EightAce posted:

Good to hear back from you finally, EightAce!

"Let them eat shiite"' it is, then.

I'm glad to hear that-- all that you said but especially that. I don't doubt they've a good bit of cash to keep them afloat nor do I yet doubt they'll keep enough coming in to stay arrogant and disdainful. I can't imagine Chris or especially Sandi being any other way.

And I hope they stay that way until the end, however it comes. It'll be far more motivating for us.

• Locked thread