Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Morglon posted:

Oh that's retarded. Yeah it doesn't tell you but there's several quests where the NPC flat out tells you that poo poo's important and needs to be done right the gently caress now. In that case point still stands but is different, the game needs to tell you poo poo like that.

Edit: I've never seen that message. I have been doing other poo poo during loading screens on occasion so that may be it.

It's not a loading message, it takes up the lower third of the game screen every time you visit the castle at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

3 works out fine in practice too though, you feel like you're being pushed to get more juice to stay alive, but there's more than enough juice everywhere you go. You end up getting a huge buffer of juice really easy and then you chill out about it. It just keeps you from farting around forever at the end game, but even then you've got enough buffer you can go back and waste lots of time trying to get things you missed. Also the sound it makes when it squeezes the fruit into juice is so drat satisfying :3

But yeah 2 was really good also.

I was surprised how many people said they just quit Pikmin 3 when something something blah blah and they lost all their juice. They'd say things like "all my progress was just erased!" when the juice actually had more or less nothing to do with your progress and you just required a non-zero amount to not lose. It wasn't difficult to collect 4 or 5 units of juice AND complete an actual progression objective in a single day. (not to mention it's not to tough to get all that juice you lost right back)

For topical content, I thought designing the game around you having 3 groups of pikmin instead of the 2 from the previous game was too much. RTSs are dying because no one actually likes micromanaging all that poo poo simultaneously.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Leal posted:

Pawns instantly using stuff sucks, especially if they say pick up a sour ambrosial meat without you knowing and snatching it back and they use it :shepface:

Everytime I show up in the demense at night it shows a tooltip on the bottom explicitly saying "The night guard is on patrol stay around and you'll be arrested" even with tutorial messages off :shrug:

E:

For a beautiful moment I thought there was a Commander Vimes game, and then reality intruded and I wept a little.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Talos Princple is a great game and totally worth your time and money but a few of the star puzzles require ridiculous pixel-hunting or Fez-style ARG fuckery which is a drat shame when everything else is so well-designed and accessible.

For the uninitiated, Talos Principle is a puzzle game where you have hubs with several puzzles cordoned off into their own areas, and Stars are special collectibles that involve breaking open puzzles and using tools to either escape the bounds of puzzles or span across multiple arenas. Generally cool, mindbending stuff. But one of them requires you to scan a QR code and decipher the hexadecimal text within to know which two buttons to hit, while another has you targeting invisible targets for a laser beam that would be nigh-impossible to find without foreknowledge that they were there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Perestroika posted:

It's doubly annoying because many side-quests tend to have others as a prerequisite. For me one single early-game quest bugged out, and thanks to the autosave I couldn't revert back to my earlier savepoint before I even started it. Thanks to that, I'm now locked out of three or four further quests and a small area that's unlocked by them.
I don't know how this is even a thing. Unless your game is entirely 100% linear with nothing to miss, allow multiple saves. In fact, just allow multiple saves anyway. Why would you not? And not just multiple but unlimited. Let me have 100 save files if I want. Or 1000. Sure, that would be way more than anyone would need and would make finding the one you want difficult, but that would be my problem, not yours.

Zaphod42 posted:

People really really don't like the stress of time limits. Just the idea of a time limit is stressful, even if it isn't practically even a limit.
Even games that just count how long you take bother me a little. I have to deliberately ignore it and just play the game as though there's no timer. It's fine if it's just specific things (like the activities in Saints Row), but if it's every level all the time then gently caress off, I don't need that stress when I'm trying to have fun.

Screaming Idiot posted:

For a beautiful moment I thought there was a Commander Vimes game, and then reality intruded and I wept a little.
There's Discworld Noir. That's sort of close?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Malleum posted:

I've been loving around in the Everfall in Dragon's Dogma for awhile to fund my expeditions into Bitterblack Isle with wakestones and I found a rotunda with a cockatrice in it that revealed a little thing about the pawn AI that really bothers me. Cockatrices petrify your pawns with a breath attack, which is a time delay instant kill that won't allow you to revive the afflicted pawn because they turn into a statue and shatter, and there's 2 ways to cure it: use one of 2 dedicated anti-petrification curatives or have a sorcerer who knows High Voidspell. I normally stock my pawns with the curative because losing a pawn forever in the middle of a fight sucks and high voidspell takes awhile to charge up, and I've noticed that every time my pawns get hit with the Cockatrice's breath attack they chug the curative immediately afterwards. There isn't any kind of grace period for a pawn or the player to charge up a healing spell even though petrification takes something ridiculous like 40 seconds to actually kill the afflicted and the pawns wind up wasting that emergency backup they were SUPPOSED to use when the sorcerer was down or otherwise occupied.

I'm sure it's the same with all the other status effects in the game, but the only one I ever care to carry around a cure for is petrification. It doesn't matter at all in the long run but gently caress, that secret softener you just wasted was 500 gold I could have used to buy 1/140th of a pilgrim's charm.

One time I forget to take a panacea out of my pawn's pockets, so of course he instantly chugged it when he got wet from running through a stream.

SOAKED TO THE BONE :gonk:

A curative will serve! :downs:

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
The thing that has been dragging down Dragon's Dogma for me has been stat growths. You and your pawn gain different stats when you level up based on what your vocation is when it happens, and there's no way to respec your stats later. The stat growths aren't remotely balanced either, with mages having particularly terrible scaling. The optimal (and infuriating) thing to do is spend your time playing as the vocation you need or want to learn skills for, and switch back to the vocation with the right stat growths whenever you're about to level up. Ultimately, it doesn't make too much of a difference as long as you don't mix magic and physical vocations, but it still feels bad.

Also, nearly everything to do with pawns. I really wish they would stop standing between huge monsters and death-pits.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Vanguard Warden posted:

Ultimately, it doesn't make too much of a difference as long as you don't mix magic and physical vocations, but it still feels bad.

So don't do it. There's no point in min maxing in that game because you can just outlevel everything anyway, and it doesn't even make much of a difference before that point. I don't know why so many people obsess over the stat growths when they're completely ignorable and you can easily beat the game with no knowledge that they exist. Just play whatever is fun.

e: One exception I'd say is to play a class if it has a specific augment you want since that's not really something you can get for free just by leveling up more, but even most of those are pretty optional. The only ones I ever went out of my way to get were the fighter augment for more carry weight and the strider augment to make you 1 weight class lighter.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 04:00 on Jan 28, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sleeveless posted:

The Talos Princple is a great game and totally worth your time and money but a few of the star puzzles require ridiculous pixel-hunting or Fez-style ARG fuckery which is a drat shame when everything else is so well-designed and accessible.

For the uninitiated, Talos Principle is a puzzle game where you have hubs with several puzzles cordoned off into their own areas, and Stars are special collectibles that involve breaking open puzzles and using tools to either escape the bounds of puzzles or span across multiple arenas. Generally cool, mindbending stuff. But one of them requires you to scan a QR code and decipher the hexadecimal text within to know which two buttons to hit, while another has you targeting invisible targets for a laser beam that would be nigh-impossible to find without foreknowledge that they were there.

For your first example, it's sillier still because you still need to make a (minor) logical leap regarding the clue you're given to get the correct answer. For the second, there is technically a hint for it in the game, but it's so obtuse and the solution so unintuitive that it's basically meaningless.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Zaphod42 posted:

3 works out fine in practice too though, you feel like you're being pushed to get more juice to stay alive, but there's more than enough juice everywhere you go. You end up getting a huge buffer of juice really easy and then you chill out about it. It just keeps you from farting around forever at the end game, but even then you've got enough buffer you can go back and waste lots of time trying to get things you missed. Also the sound it makes when it squeezes the fruit into juice is so drat satisfying :3

But yeah 2 was really good also.
Juice wasn't half as interesting as finding a bettery and seeing what silly bullshit name and explanation Olimar gave it in two though. Plus the controls in 3 are awful which is weird. Pikin 2 had it pretty much perfect but 3 removes the ability to use the C buttons to group your pikmin up easily which means now you always have at least a quarter of your squad constantly tripping up and lagging behind forever and getting killed by anything that moves. Also you can't punch things to death anymore.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Also you can't punch things to death anymore.

well I guess I'm never getting a wii u.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Digirat posted:

So don't do it.

I meant that having your stats be sub-optimal because you aren't obsessively managing your level ups feels bad.

Having to grind warrior for 9 ranks to get the damage boosting augment is worse though. I can't stand that vocation.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Oh i'm not going to lie I got 100% wiped by a thrall exploding, and no-mercy deathblows from his friends before I could heal even one person, but AFTER that it's the only tooltip I see.

The game just loving lies to you sometimes, like when you fight the hag she puts a random party member in a pot and they start to die immediately. And they are screaming for help. Please attack the pot, they scream. If you do that the witch just puts them back in the pot. Then they get to 0hp and fall out, and she instantly throws sauce on your entire party and wouldn't you know it's an instant deathblow. Then she instantly puts someone else in the pot. You run away because gently caress this I'm not prepared. The person in the pot dies also. You don't get their trinkets back.

Apparently the correct thing to do is just murder her as fast as possible because she can't take free turns if you just let someone get parboiled and ignore their pleas for mercy. The tutorial like dialog "hit the pot to let me out! this really hurts!"
is there 100% to gently caress with you and wipe half your party before you figure it out.

e: spoiler tags, I guess, maybe you want to be surprised.

Ahahah that's not even the best part!

Everyone, no matter how high your accuracy is, is hardcoded to miss something like 5-10% regardless. So you could have your entire party swinging away and failing to hit a stationary pot while the Hag takes 2-3 turns per round while boiling your one hero alive. On top of that stunning her is still broken where she'll ignore it and continue taking her turns. So you have an unstoppable Hag throwing sauce while everyone misses the loving pot.

Though I really wonder why that stun bug hasn't been fixed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Away all Goats posted:

Exploration? The game was pretty much an animation of your ship with like 3 or 4 different backgrounds

Every jump location has a different thing going on in it, with different rewards and challenges. Some of them require you to have gone to a different event beforehand. Exploration was a huge part of the game, since that stuff was what you had to rely on to gear up for the rest of the game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Everyone, no matter how high your accuracy is, is hardcoded to miss something like 5-10% regardless. So you could have your entire party swinging away and failing to hit a stationary pot while the Hag takes 2-3 turns per round while boiling your one hero alive. On top of that stunning her is still broken where she'll ignore it and continue taking her turns. So you have an unstoppable Hag throwing sauce while everyone misses the loving pot.

So that's why your heroes can miss a stationary 2 ton cannon.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Digirat posted:

because you can just outlevel everything anyway, and it doesn't even make much of a difference before that point.

Eh, taking say your sorcerer pawn that's been a sorcerer for 100 levels and deciding you want them to be a strider is pretty bad. Now they got almost a thousand less health and take hits like a newborn baby and die when they run out of the low stamina they've had and gasp for air under the thing they were crawling over and get smacked once or twice.

If you want to make your fighter/warrior a strider/ranger yeah it wont matter, but to decide on flipping them between magic/physical means they'll either attack with weak magic or have low health and stamina. Plus, you need those stats to make up for the outfits your pawn wears to pimp them out in the rift. Silk thongs don't give the most defense you know :v:!

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Krinkle posted:

Oh i'm not going to lie I got 100% wiped by a thrall exploding, and no-mercy deathblows from his friends before I could heal even one person, but AFTER that it's the only tooltip I see.

The game just loving lies to you sometimes, like when you fight the hag she puts a random party member in a pot and they start to die immediately. And they are screaming for help. Please attack the pot, they scream. If you do that the witch just puts them back in the pot. Then they get to 0hp and fall out, and she instantly throws sauce on your entire party and wouldn't you know it's an instant deathblow. Then she instantly puts someone else in the pot. You run away because gently caress this I'm not prepared. The person in the pot dies also. You don't get their trinkets back.

Apparently the correct thing to do is just murder her as fast as possible because she can't take free turns if you just let someone get parboiled and ignore their pleas for mercy. The tutorial like dialog "hit the pot to let me out! this really hurts!"
is there 100% to gently caress with you and wipe half your party before you figure it out.

Thanks for that btw, Hag died with no issues except one dude being left on Death's Door.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Not really a bug. Stunning makes her lose her next turn, same as anything else, she just gets 2 turns per round.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I think the Magic Ninja Pot was patched out at some point later in development, it's now got a 0% chance of dodging any of your attacks.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I bought SPACE MARINE on impulse cause it was hella discount, and while it's a perfectly acceptable walk-along-kill-poo poo game it's really lacking oomph in the sound design. A big ol' GM monster man with a machinegun cannon fighting waves of screaming green barbarian space monsters in a video game version of one of the most OTT IPs ever to exist and it's like poppoppoppop "die space marine :geno:"

The first level you're inside a giant artillery cannon [?] and when it fires it goes "pup" all disappointing. Where's the thunderous explosions and room shaking bass and YELLING? I demand YELLING.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Moon Monster posted:

For topical content, I thought designing the game around you having 3 groups of pikmin instead of the 2 from the previous game was too much. RTSs are dying because no one actually likes micromanaging all that poo poo simultaneously.

Yeah and if anything I only think 2 groups worked because you could co-op. I actually really hate that style of "control one character, move them, switch to the other, move them, switch back" kinda thing, like in The Lost Vikings. I just find it to be really tedious and not fun.

Pikmin 3 has co-op... but its only for a small mini-game side mode. That's where they messed up. Pikmin 2 being co-op was a huge improvement.

If you're playing solo it should just be Olimar or whoever, they should only bring in more people if its co-op. If its 2 player then have 2, and if you can handle 3 then allow 3. The tough part then is designing levels where 2 or 3 people have things to do but where 1 person doesn't feel overwhelmed, which is tough.

They thought that using the gamepad to jump between 3 groups would be cool, but I think they just tried too hard to shoehorn in the WiiU gamepad gimmick. Would be better without.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vanguard Warden posted:

The thing that has been dragging down Dragon's Dogma for me has been stat growths. You and your pawn gain different stats when you level up based on what your vocation is when it happens, and there's no way to respec your stats later. The stat growths aren't remotely balanced either, with mages having particularly terrible scaling. The optimal (and infuriating) thing to do is spend your time playing as the vocation you need or want to learn skills for, and switch back to the vocation with the right stat growths whenever you're about to level up. Ultimately, it doesn't make too much of a difference as long as you don't mix magic and physical vocations, but it still feels bad.

Also, nearly everything to do with pawns. I really wish they would stop standing between huge monsters and death-pits.

Yeah in Dragon's Dogma you really don't have to min/max at all, so you can ignore it. But I feel you, I hate those kinds of "you have to do what you're bad at to get better" systems.

It "makes sense", but games aren't about sense. Few are simulations. Its about fun.

The key example for me was Dungeon Siege. Its like if you were playing Diablo 2, but if you wanted to put points into Int you'd have to use only magic, and if you wanted points put into Str then you'd have to use only melee. If you were playing pure melee or pure magic it worked okay, but if you ever tried to equip a weapon as a mage or use some magic as a warrior or whatever, you'd have to drop everything you'd been doing that you were good at and go around sucking at the other thing for a long time. And then JUST when you're getting okay at that thing... now you can switch back to the thing you wanted to do in the first place? Its just a bad, bad mechanic.

Getting magic level up points for leveling and making your character stronger when all he's done is throw magic may not make sense, but it feels way better.

I mean hell, defining human beings by "stat points" isn't realistic to begin with. Embrace it.

Krinkle posted:

IMO all that is fine and good. There is ONE thing about the hag which is total horseshit though; if you get somebody put into the pot and then you retreat, that person is DEAD FOR GOOD instantly with no warning. (maybe they patched in a warning? I hope so) You can't even go back and fight her again, your dude is just loving gone.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Jan 28, 2016

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

I think the Magic Ninja Pot was patched out at some point later in development, it's now got a 0% chance of dodging any of your attacks.

I'm pretty sure they patched the "dodge" graphic out for "miss" because people were complaining about that. I went up against her a week before it came out of early access and some of my attacks still missed.

Zaphod42 posted:

IMO all that is fine and good. There is ONE thing about the hag which is total horseshit though; if you get somebody put into the pot and then you retreat, that person is DEAD FOR GOOD instantly with no warning. (maybe they patched in a warning? I hope so) You can't even go back and fight her again, your dude is just loving gone.

I will defend this though because you'd have to be a pretty heartless party leader to run from battle with one of your dudes still boiling to death and expect them to survive that.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Do you expect the hag to just let your guy out of her pot because you up and ran away? Sounds like you're abandoning that party member to their stew-ey end.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
They really need to come up with a term for the recent bunch of Early Access games that look like rogue likes but are actually just using randomization to hide the fact that they can't balance games or design levels at all.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

They really need to come up with a term for the recent bunch of Early Access games that look like rogue likes but are actually just using randomization to hide the fact that they can't balance games or design levels at all.

Rogue-unlikes? I don't know, the roguelike genre has gotten pretty wide over the last decade. They still have the element of randomness, just missing the fun, exploration, balance, etc.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I heard the term "roguelite" to describe games like Binding of Isaac and Spelunky, but that's more because you either win or die in a single sitting.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

Starbound.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I am pretty sure most of these games stem from having a basic idea that's kinda throwaway and not very good, and the developers don't want to spend that much effort into developing the idea into something more robust, so they just add in a score panel and a timer and some procedural generation and bam, you have overwhelmingly mediocre games like Ziggurat.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

Greenlight Bingo

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Disgusting Coward posted:

I bought SPACE MARINE on impulse cause it was hella discount, and while it's a perfectly acceptable walk-along-kill-poo poo game it's really lacking oomph in the sound design. A big ol' GM monster man with a machinegun cannon fighting waves of screaming green barbarian space monsters in a video game version of one of the most OTT IPs ever to exist and it's like poppoppoppop "die space marine :geno:"

The first level you're inside a giant artillery cannon [?] and when it fires it goes "pup" all disappointing. Where's the thunderous explosions and room shaking bass and YELLING? I demand YELLING.

This is right on about the yelling. A bit part of WH40k is yelling stuff about hate and fury and vengeance and the emperor. It's something they did really well in Dawn of War. There should have been a keypress to make Titus shout something badass, anytime you want. And it should have been an easy key, like spacebar or something, so you do it all the time. Huge missed opportunity in the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Arrath posted:

Do you expect the hag to just let your guy out of her pot because you up and ran away? Sounds like you're abandoning that party member to their stew-ey end.

Its a videogame, lets not pretend like every single mechanical interaction is always reflected perfectly in theme. Its the kind of thing most RPGs would let you do.

That said, I wasn't too shocked that he stayed in the pot. I was more upset that even though I immediately went back, he was instantly gone. Having the fight start with my left behind buddy in the pot already on death's door or something would be less frustrating and he'd probably die anyways. But at least I could try to save him!

I'm not like bent out of shape about it, but its the only thing I'd consider to be a gotcha about the hag. Otherwise she makes sense and is pretty easy to figure out.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Sleeveless posted:

Get hosed-like

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

I am pretty sure most of these games stem from having a basic idea that's kinda throwaway and not very good, and the developers don't want to spend that much effort into developing the idea into something more robust, so they just add in a score panel and a timer and some procedural generation and bam, you have overwhelmingly mediocre games like Ziggurat.

Eh Ziggurat's pretty good really

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

The Talos Princple: requires you to scan a QR code

Is this something you can get around? I was thinking about getting this game but if I can't play it because I don't have the ability to scan a QR code then I'm having second thoughts.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You don't have to do it

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

BuddyChrist posted:

Is this something you can get around? I was thinking about getting this game but if I can't play it because I don't have the ability to scan a QR code then I'm having second thoughts.

It's just one optional puzzle, which is why it stands out so much. You play as a robot so when you run into QR codes everywhere else you automatically scan them on mouseover and it translates it into flavor text, it's really cool.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

BuddyChrist posted:

For 99.999% of these QR codes, just looking at them will just tell you what the guy is saying. It's just this one, that tells you nothing but still makes the sound of the pop up, that you have to scan with a real phone and find out it's a the eagle has landed quote to figure out what to do (by googling what the gently caress to do and going back and saying oh really the exact hour and minute of the moon landing in cape canavarel time is the solution? gently caress you)

Literally nothing else in the game requires you to look up external information like the date and time of historical events or anything even remotely as obtuse as that so I can only assume it's a glitch that nothing pops up. Nobody would purposefully make you use a real QR scanner to play a game. The only other time a QR code even matters is that other thing the guy quoted which said to connect the head to the heart and if you look up there's a giant statue there so it's just pixel hunting the head and the heart specifically. I mean the actual puzzle is stealing a connector from a different puzzle to the non-puzzle area to solve the hidden puzzle.

Anyway you can leave QR codes for other people based on the decisions you've made, they unlock and appear in a list. I was asked if I thought animals had rights and I felt backed into a corner so I said yes all animals are exactly equal to humans and now all my steam buddies can see me paint "frogs are people too" everywhere. With their eyes in english. The QR code is mostly a white flag to get your attention and then english words pop up so don't worry about needing a phone.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
FEZ makes you scan a QR code at least once for one of the anti-cubes or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Croccers posted:

FEZ makes you scan a QR code at least once for one of the anti-cubes or whatever.

I've seen this pop up more than once in other games. Do they think they're clever when they do it or are they just copying fez because the fez guy thought he was clever doing it?