Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
The cricket thread gets exhausting with all the English downers, even to the point of making light of Hughes' death, that was a low point.

I think we're pretty even handed in here, we only poo poo on something if it deserves it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Spedman posted:

The cricket thread gets exhausting with all the English downers, even to the point of making light of Hughes' death, that was a low point.

I think we're pretty even handed in here, we only poo poo on something if it deserves it.

Ummmm, but you're all really mean to Hodgey?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

realbez posted:

That's because Hodgey tries to snap people's necks and put them in wheelchairs for life. Like, don't get me wrong, good bloke and all though!

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Everybody makes a mistake or two

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I think you'll all like the thread header image, anyway.

Actually I'm wondering how much detail I need to put in vis-a-vis the rules of the game, because I've gotten that about 70% written up but am getting a bit verbose on things like prior opportunity and poo poo.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Just post one of those rules explained videos with a bunch of highlight gifs

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

Just post one of those rules explained videos with a bunch of highlight gifs
Hmm, yeah. I might cut things back a bit (mainly because I want to include main eggs and side eggs) and do that.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

realbez posted:

He is our own dark reflection looking back at us, he must be loathed.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Hmm, yeah. I might cut things back a bit (mainly because I want to include main eggs and side eggs) and do that.

JUST MAKE THE drat THREAD. IF I HAVE TO LISTEN TO YOU BASTARDS TALK ABOUT CRICKET ANYMORE I WILL loving CUT ALL OF YOU. RAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Also

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
This one for marking contests.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Homer really puts Barney's head into a cardoor and slams it holy gently caress that's funny

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

For those interested I set up a supercoach Goon Golden Spoon .. doesn't appear you need a password, but the joining code is 909139

Maybe can add this to the new OP too under the usual tipping/fantasy stuff. I'm sure someone will set up tipping and ultimate footy WHICH I WON'T MISS THE DRAFT FOR AGAIN and I'll toxx myself for that later

thepokey fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 28, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Yeah probably best we only make one league per competition this time around

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah last year was weird in supercoach in that when I went to set it up it didn't like the word "goon" and said it was inappropriate for a league title, so I changed it to the Jason Laycock Cup. Then somehow someone else was able to register the usual Goon Golden Spoon and it let them so we had 2 leagues when it launched. Got our regular name back.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

thepokey posted:

For those interested I set up a supercoach Goon Golden Spoon .. doesn't appear you need a password, but the joining code is 909139

Maybe can add this to the new OP too under the usual tipping/fantasy stuff. I'm sure someone will set up tipping and ultimate footy WHICH I WON'T MISS THE DRAFT FOR AGAIN and I'll toxx myself for that later

Nice. Joined.

The sites changed a bit this year. Lets see if its as terrible and slow.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

We'll get the Age ultimate footy comp going again as well then - will post more when it's fully set up.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Super Coach looks all modern, and it wouldn't let me put Tony Abbott in my team name. Also 18 characters is pretty restrictive for satire.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Super Coach looks all modern, and it wouldn't let me put Tony Abbott in my team name. Also 18 characters is pretty restrictive for satire.

Guess they are being more serious this year about offensive team names

And yeah I really wanted the "Dandenong Tiprat Top-ups" this year :(

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

Largepotato posted:

This one for marking contests.

Who wore it better?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

afl.com.au posted:

GREATER Western Sydney has granted key forward Cam McCarthy indefinite leave to allow him to return to Western Australia.

The 20-year-old is understood to have informed the Giants on Wednesday he was homesick and wanted time with family.

The Giants have accepted it is in his best interests to take a break from the game although AFL.com.au understands they plan to keep him on the list.

They will also continue to support him throughout the process with Giants CEO Dave Matthews saying the decision to grant the player indefinite leave was made after careful consideration.

"Cam has most recently been struggling to deal with the day-to-day demands of being an AFL footballer and as a result we have agreed that the best course of action is for him to step away from the game," Matthews said.

"Following last year's trade period we agreed to implement a range of measures to ensure Cam was able to spend more time in Western Australia with his family. This included augmenting his training schedule as well as bolstering what was already a comprehensive welfare framework.

“Despite initially making strong progress after returning from the Christmas break it has been apparent that Cam cannot currently meet the demands of being an AFL footballer.

"We will obviously continue to support Cam during this time and assist him in every way possible. His welfare is our priority. We ask that Cam's privacy be respected at this time."

McCarthy sought a trade to Fremantle during last year's trade period but the Giants refused to let him go as he had two years remaining on his contract.

The young forward had a breakout season in his second year with the expansion club kicking 35 goals in 20 games and earning a NAB Rising Star nomination.

The Giants were determined to hang on to quality players who wanted leave before their contract expired after trading Tom Boyd a year earlier to the Western Bulldogs when he had been at the club for just one season.

Adam Tomlinson also remained with the Giants despite seeking a trade to Carlton during the off-season.

After working hard to secure a trade for McCarthy, his manager Colin Young indicated in October McCarthy was unlikely to finish his career at the Giants.

However after a slow start to the pre-season McCarthy was understood to be training well in recent weeks.

Co-captain Phil Davis said in November the young forward was a popular member of the team and Leon Cameron had said after the trade period the club wanted to make it possible for McCarthy to spend more time with family.

He was selection No.14 in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft

Should have traded him when they had the chance....

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Not worth giving him away for peanuts. Pretty spineless to be honest. Being away from family is hard but geez, he's not indentured or in the military or anything.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
I don't know home sickness can be pretty bad for some people. I'm sure GWS has their own support people who have assessed him and recommended the current course of action.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

thepokey posted:

Yeah I'll usually do two posts at the start with the fantasy/tipping deets so they don't get lost in my wall of words.

The tipping comp should just roll over again with the existing members if you were in it last year. If you're new (or I kicked you off because you hadn't tipped in years) the deets are thus:
http://www.footytips.com.au/comps/SASTips
Password: goons

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Just give us the loving flag already and save us the time.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Spineless was harsh, but McCarthy didn't go to GWS with his issues initially. GWS found out about a potential trade via the footy show after McCarthy (his agent) tried to organise everything in secret.

I have no doubt that GWS have tried to accommodate his needs but despite mental health issues McCarthy absolutely deserves some scorn for how he's handled the situation too. He signed an extension mid year then wanted out at the end of it.

Freo had pick 22 after getting Bennell. Could have offloaded their first of this year, wasn't deemed equal value.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Hey with the new terrorist cage at the G do you need tickets before you get in there or is that purely a bag check?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

No ticket needed, its basically window dressing, its just some disinterested security guy waving one of those metal detector things around and letting everyone in.

TG-Chrono posted:

Spineless was harsh, but McCarthy didn't go to GWS with his issues initially. GWS found out about a potential trade via the footy show after McCarthy (his agent) tried to organise everything in secret.

I have no doubt that GWS have tried to accommodate his needs but despite mental health issues McCarthy absolutely deserves some scorn for how he's handled the situation too. He signed an extension mid year then wanted out at the end of it.

Freo had pick 22 after getting Bennell. Could have offloaded their first of this year, wasn't deemed equal value.

I'd be very pissed off with him if I were a GWS fan, being homesick is tough (lived across the country/internationally from my family for my entire 20's), but he's got the best support to deal with it. His employer made arrangements for him to go home regularly, he's paid enough so going home isn't going to send him broke, and he "works" full time for 6 months of the year ostensibly.

You've got to wonder if he'd do well under someone like Lyon who isn't known for being a softie.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hey with the new terrorist cage at the G do you need tickets before you get in there or is that purely a bag check?

As if a security guard would bother a MCC member :v:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
McCarthy really screwed himself by signing that contract extension. I'm not sure GWS appreciated the way his manager handled the situation either and they might feel like they need to set an example now so they don't constantly get players/managers screwing them around.

Freo couldn't offer GWS enough to get him last year and while McCarthy's value will fall if he doesn't play much footy this year I don't think GWS will care too much. Losing McCarthy for nothing in 2017 wont be a massive blow to their plans. However, it would screw over Freo who will be lucky to still be in their flag window then while also seriously damaging McCarthy's career. As such, I still think GWS hold all the cards here. Unless there are serious welfare concerns then I think GWS will probably keep him to either try to change his mind or to prove a point (or both).

That article also reminded me that Tomlinson requested a trade to Carlton. :psyduck:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

if being at home is such a big deal he could always just play in state/local leagues, no shame in that.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Depends if the AFL decides its worth the bother or not, it was something Cricket Australia brought in for the cricket matches as a "precaution". The AFL will probably be under pressure to bring it in for the security theatre even though it does nothing the checks at the gate don't do already.

Anyway I felt I had to put something in the OP about the Essendon thing, and as much as it's fun to make jokes I also don't want to disrepresent poo poo, so this is what I have drafted to go.

quote:

WHAT IS WITH THIS ESSENDON CRAP ANYWAY

Where do I loving start?

Basically, the upshot is James Hird became coach of Essendon in 2011, and at some point got in contact with fitness coach Dean Robertson and sports "scientist" Dank (yes, that's his name) who suggested injecting the players with Thymosin beta-4, a peptide supplement, to improve their recovery from games. This was done on the sly, without the knowledge of the club doctor, and the players failed to declare these injections on the forms where they're supposed to declare such things.

By the way, this actually happened in 2012, Essendon were initially hit with one set of sanctions in 2013 by the AFL due to governance issues, with a $2m fine and disqualification from the finals (Carlton took their place) and the stripping of draft picks. Essendon more or less denied any wrongdoing from the start and fought the case all the way.

That still didn't cover the actual PED offenses, after the ASADA investigation, the AFL tribunal found the players not guilty in March 2015, this was appealed by WADA, the result of this appeal came out in January concluded with the club being found guilty of having injected players with the banned peptide Thymosin beta-4, resulting in the suspension the 34 players who were involved for 12 months.

12 of these players are still playing with Essendon, while 5 more are still playing with other AFL clubs, and most of the remainder at lower levels. As Essendon would otherwise be flat-out fielding a competitive team this season, the AFL have allowed them to sign 10 top-up players to cover their numbers for the year.

Anyway, while there's still a lot of poo poo to hoe for the Bombers, and this season will definitely be a tough one for them, it may be now that there'll be an end to this. Not least all the fans of other clubs, who not only have had to put up with the noise from the Stand By Hird idiots over last few seasons, but also Hawthorn winning three flags on the trot. (OK, maybe not so bad for Hawks fans, especially since it's Essendon who did this.)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Periphery posted:

McCarthy really screwed himself by signing that contract extension. I'm not sure GWS appreciated the way his manager handled the situation either and they might feel like they need to set an example now so they don't constantly get players/managers screwing them around.

Freo couldn't offer GWS enough to get him last year and while McCarthy's value will fall if he doesn't play much footy this year I don't think GWS will care too much. Losing McCarthy for nothing in 2017 wont be a massive blow to their plans. However, it would screw over Freo who will be lucky to still be in their flag window then while also seriously damaging McCarthy's career. As such, I still think GWS hold all the cards here. Unless there are serious welfare concerns then I think GWS will probably keep him to either try to change his mind or to prove a point (or both).

That article also reminded me that Tomlinson requested a trade to Carlton. :psyduck:

I think what really sucked with McCarthy signing that contract extension is that he had no bargaining power. He hadn't even played a game yet, had only been there for like four months or so and GWS wanted to say just how much people wanted to be with them.

edit: What I'm saying is that GWS treated him re-signing as a PR thing.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 29, 2016

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

The Deadly Hume posted:

Anyway I felt I had to put something in the OP about the Essendon thing, and as much as it's fun to make jokes I also don't want to disrepresent poo poo, so this is what I have drafted to go.

Seems fair

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Yep. Especially the bit where it's been tough on fans of other clubs. They've really had it tough the past few years and I hope they'll be ok. But yeah, otherwise succinct and to the point without being a whole big thing taking over the OP, it's good.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Should probably try to correlate Essendon being investigated for Drugs and Hawthorn winning three-flags in a row. Now that Essendon has been charged, does that mean unbeaten season?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Given our prospects for the season, I would be perfectly happy if we beat: Hawthorn, Carlton, Richmond and Norf and lose the rest. Including ANZAC day. That would be a season I'd put on par with 2000 for us with all things considered.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I'll probably be happy if we win ten games and manage to not give Essendon a Steven Bradbury in round 2, and don't lose by 100 points at all

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I'll be happy if I win my money back in work footy tipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I'll be happy if Hawthorn miss the 8 and someone completely unexpected wins the flag

• Locked thread